mtbr member
    Aug 2007

5 Bike Hitch Rack - Which to buy, do they work?

So I looked through the 13 pages of threads in this forum and didn't see anything discussing the difference 5-bike hitch racks that are out there. I know they are made by Thule, Yakima, Allen, and Hollywood at a minimum.

My question is...Which ones work and which ones don't? I need to be able to transport 2 adult and three children's bikes for the next 5 years before they start getting bigger bikes. I'm just concerned that the kids bikes aren't going to fit well on the rack and if they aren't...Well...Then I guess I'd just like to do a 2-bike rack at this point.

I have a 2" receiver on my Mountaineer so I should be able to take any rack.

Any opinions/thoughts?

Thanks!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well...After doing more reading and reading reviews I have opted to go with the Swagman XC4. The design is too good to pass up and even though I'll be a bike short I'll figure something out. Chances are I'll be transporting only one or two 95% of the time so I'm sure it'll do the trick, but it will be nice to have the ability to comfortably handle 4 bikes as needed.