mtbr member
    Apr 2011

4 place T2 vs. 1up vs Kuat Question

I'm looking at a new 4 place rack. Ideally the rack with 2 slots would be more or less permanently attached to the car with the 2 extension slots being added on an as needed basis. Hopefully that would strike a nice compromise between keeping the rear hatch accessible and plates and lights visible for every day driving, while still allowing the option for a 4 bike road trip.

Which of these racks makes taking on and off the 2 place extension easiest?

Which of these racks, as a 2 place installation, is easiest to fold up and down to clear the rear hatch for loading groceries and what not?

mtbr member
    The 1Up hands down is the easiest rack to use and fold. I had a T2 for almost 15 years and my buddy has the Kuat. I saw a 1Up at a bike retreat last week and it was awesome! It was sturdy and build so well I couldn't believe it. You could load bikes fast and it folded up out of the way. 1Up for the win but its a little spendy. No rust to worry about and light to boot.

The extension on the Kuat probably wouldn't lend itself to what you want to do. First, you've got the endcap with the rack attachment that has to be moved from the main rack to the extension (and back if you remove the extension). The extension itself is attached with 4 bolts.

I don't know about the others on your list, because the Kuat is the only one my shop has in stock that I've been able to look at.

mtbr member
    check out all the videos

1up bike rack video - Bing Videos

code: mtbr2011
    the kuat is not the easiest to go from 4 bikes to 2. The Yakima Holdup and the Thule T2 just involve a couple of bolts to make the switch, so they would be easiest.
    We don't have any experience with the 1up, but it is a very good rack. They do not sell wholesale to dealers, only direct to consumer, which is why we don't carry the rack, otherwise it would be in our lineup for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    In the 1up, adding or subtracting is about 10 seconds per tray. Excellent rack but a bit spendy as pointed out. I have the fixed two place rack and two add one to total four.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

So it boils down to $927 for a 1up, or T2 for $700.

The 1up will break down to a 2 or 3 place rack easier and will give more left and right adjustability. Hard to judge if that's worth another $200.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

So it boils down to $927 for a 1up, or T2 for $700.

The 1up will break down to a 2 or 3 place rack easier and will give more left and right adjustability. Hard to judge if that's worth another $200.
    As others have mentioned it also has superior corrosion resistance and superb functionality. And, it's technically the only rack that even offers a distinct 3 bike option (if that's actually useful to you). It's domestically made and has great customer support. I've used or owned Kuat, Thule, Saris, Yakima, and Hollywood racks. No one else comes close in overall use or value. Take them up on their money back offer and try it out. If you don't like it they'll pay your shipping both ways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If I had to carry 4 bikes, this is what I would get => http://www.arbutusracks.com/docs/ARB...IFICATIONS.pdf

The 4-bike setup protrude out way too much on the Thule, Kuat, 1up, that's why something like the Arbutus is the way to go. But for a 1 or 2 bike setup, you can't beat the 1up, which is what I currently own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Interesting rack. Looks like $700 but they're sold out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The Arbutus is very similar to the racks available from North Shore Racks. They even have a six bike set up. About $536 right now, depending on exchange rate (Canadian rack).

mtbr member
    Arbutus doesn't make racks anymore.

The 1Up is way better than any other rack.