mtbr member
    Sep 2008

3 bike spare tire bike rack for a Rav4

We are looking to go on vacation in mid-august and we have 3 bikes to take with us on my 2004 RAv4. I currently have a 2 bike rear tire rack and so I began to look for a 3 bike version. I can only find one in the whole of the internet, made by a company called Allen. It got decent reviews on Amazon, but still struck me as on the cheap side quality-wise.
    Anyone have experience with this rack or know of any others?
    Separately, would I be better off getting a single rooftop set-up for the 3rd bike?
    Also, anyone have any idea what the weight limit is for the spare tire to hold?

thank you in advance fellow riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I dunno, my Thule Spare Me has a weight limit of 70 lbs and that's a two bike rack. I would be leery of putting three on a spare tire mount- it would have to depend on how it mounts. The Thule seemed pretty secure but even still at 70 lbs I'd totally be using a secondary strap wrapped around a the back roof crossbar to relieve some tension when hitting bumps and stuff. Heck, I did that with just my 36lb fatbike.

The kind you are talking about, does it mount thru the wheel with a backing plate type setup? Or does it just strap to the tire?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The 3 bike rack I am talking about just mounts over the wheel, as does my 2-biker I have now.
    New question - The Rav4 has a roof rack - sidebars/cross bars - would I have to buy a cross bar specific for a roof rack or does someone make a rack that can use my existing cross bars?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Many racks come these days to mount to OEM cross bars:

Bike Racks for Factory Installed Crossbars | Cracks & Racks

...there is a code to get a discount too- "mtbr2011", not sure how much you have to spend though, but I highly recommend Cracks and Racks!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    UPDATE!!
    I bought the the Allen 3 bike spare tire rack I was thinking of, and it survived a week at the beach with being used every day and a 6-7 hour ride there and back. I had to loosen the spare tire to get the rack between it and my rav4 but that worked out fine, it fit very tightly. I did have to re-tighten the bolts on the spare before the ride home though. The straps that hold the bikes don't seem like much but they stayed tight. It did its job and was only 70 bucks - have to say I am satisfied.
    Looked at roof racks and that was way too much money.