mtbr member
    Feb 2010

3-5 Bike Hitch Rack for Toyota 4Runner

Hey guys i'm looking for a hitch style bike rack that will hold at least 3 bikes. If anyone has one for sale please let me know. Also, i am open to any suggestions as to which company makes the best one for under $250.
    Thanks.

I'm your density
    I'm extremely satisfied with my Allen 4-bike hitch mount rack. They are priced very reasonably on Amazon. Here is a link to a 5-bike model. They also make a 3-bike model.

I have the 2" receiver model. I've read where people need to use securing straps on the 1.25" receiver model, but not on the 2". I've had 4 30-lb bikes on it at once and there was some sway, but nothing terrible. The cradles and straps are versatile enough to accept many different frame geometries.

The rack comes with a non-locking pin that has a shoulder on one side to stabilize the rack in the receiver. A regular (inexpensive) locking pin will NOT have this shoulder so using one of those results in more sway. Allen makes a locking pin with the shoulder specifically for these racks, but they're expensive ($44, also available on Amazon). You could lock your rack to the receiver with a cable, which could also be used to lock the bikes.

code: mtbr2011
    take a look at the thule 914 roadway...it's a 4 bike rack that folds at the base, and also the bike arms fold when not in use. it's also well within your budget...
    they use a "trigger switch" to fold down, so it's fast, sturdy and reliable. with the 4 runner, you can always leave your bikes loaded if you need to throw something in the back by just lowering the glass on the back door...a nice feature of the 4 runners

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Opps