mtbr member
    Nov 2009

20mm mount for truck bed

Is there really no 20mm mount that can be drilled to a truck bed or 2X4? I have a topper on my truck and want to travel with my bike, upright, in the back. Everything that I can find is some adapter piece that attaches to a 9mm mount and needs a skewer and therefore wouldn't attach to a truck bed/2X4 very well. Seems like I'm looking for such a basic thing, but I can't seem to find it. Any help/suggestions would be MUCH APPRECIATED as I'm going on a road trip in 10 days! Thanks....

mtbr member extraordinair
    Get the adapter. You will want one eventually and you will find they are way more versatile. There are literally hundreds of options to mount a 9mm to a 2x4 or directly to the truck bed. And with the adapter, you will be able to use other mounting locations as well.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

The alternative is to roll your own. A friend made this for me (yellow thing) for a 20mm TA

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rocky Mounts. I can't post links because I just created this Username...?

Anyway, look for the DriveShaft HM.

I have the DriveShaft SD hat fits my cargo management system on my Chevy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the replies Stupendous/Greenhound. Looks like I'm gonna have to figure something out in the future because right now I know I don't have the resources to build one myself and I sure as hell ain't buying a 9mm mount AND a 20mm adapter. I am baffled that nobody sells one that can screw directly to a truck bed like the seemingly dozens of 9mm models. I suppose there's something I don't know about it... or else they would

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    redelvis, the Rocky Mounts is a one-item purchase. Go to YouTube and search 'Driveshaft SD'. You can see how it works. It is basically a 20mm through-axle unit. It comes with a plastic clip-in adapter to fit a 15mm axle. And, it comes with the 9mm fork adapter as well. I bought the SD and just ditched the 9mm adapter so I could use it with my 15 QR. The Driveshaft HM is the same thing, but it bolts onto a 2x4 or directly to your bed. I also just noticed that it doesn't come with the 9mm adapter. The HM is $60 off of Amazon, and that includes the locked unit with keys.

I originally bought the Thule Blockhead and then a separate 15mm adapter. I returned it when I found the Rocky Mounts that fits my factory bed rails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rocky Mounts HM description from Amazon:

RockyMounts DriveShaft HM is a 15mm and 20mm thru axle truck bed bolt on system
    Comes with base flanges designed for a "do it yourself" bolt on installation into any surface
    Its wide mouth opening creates easy loading, holds tight with adjustable cam lever and comes with snap in nylon shims to prevent the axle from being unscrewed and gives the ability to switch from 15mm to 20mm thru axles
    Comes with RockyMounts locks and keys

The first time you want to throw your bike on a buddy's rack, you are going to wish you had the adapter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Driveshaft SD

Driveshaft HM

Try figuring out a way to mount your wheel to a roof rack! That is one that I'm stumped with.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

NMBP
    In 2006, I needed a 20mm axle mount, so I made my own. It mounts to a fitted piece of baltic birch plywood that's in the bed of my truck.

I also made a magnetic 20mm spindle that holds my wheel. For this to work, you need a vertical steel surface.

I also made a 20mm bar mount for my roof rack.

This January I bought a Moonlander and I needed a 135mm fork mount. I made a dummy axle that bolts into my 20mm bed mount. I can now easily change between the 2 mounting systems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I used a Chauvet CLP09 truss clamp to hold my bike inside the back of my car. It clamps perfectly on to a 20mm axle. Its made out of plastic but is beefy. If you don't trust one you could fit 2 between your forks or go for one of the aluminum versions they make. At $5 its worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Origin 8 block fork mount comes with qr, 15mm, and 20mm adapter then get Mavic 15mm or 20mm qr adapter plugs to hook your wheel up to the holder just need a spare qr skewer

Let me google that for you