Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    fc
    used to be francois Administrator

2016 Toyota Tacoma

Who's in?

2015 Detroit Auto Show on Livestream
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma-2016-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-limited-mt-promo.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'll be getting one. Stripped down SR, double-cab model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a 2nd gen, not excited at all about this new one. Feels and looks too much like warned-up leftovers instead of something brand new. No info if Toyota actually addressed the issues of the 2nd gen, and from the autoshow pictures showing basically the same cab, bed, and frame, I wouldn't put money on it.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I have a 2nd gen, not excited at all about this new one. Feels and looks too much like warned-up leftovers instead of something brand new. No info if Toyota actually addressed the issues of the 2nd gen, and from the autoshow pictures showing basically the same cab, bed, and frame, I wouldn't put money on it.
    Every piece is new. Engine and tranny is more powerful and efficient too. Atkinson 3.6 liter V6 and a 6 speed tranny is a welcome change for useable power an mileage.

I think the current model year is 10 years old and this is the redesign.

2016 Toyota Tacoma First Look - Motor Trend

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah I'm not drinking Toyota's kool-aid. The frame is "re-inforced" but that doesn't make it all new. If they can figure how to stop the frames from rusting, that would be nice. The double cab lines are exactly the same, even down to the sliding window. They're using a new manufacturing proces that doesnt mean the body lines are completely new. A new engine was the least they could do, the current V6 gets pitiful gas mileage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't usually care about car aesthetics that much, but hot damn, that is a front end only a mother could love.

mtbr member
    I wish the Tacoma wasn't so big, they're nearly the same size as a full size pick-up.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Mine barely fits in the garage and this new one is longer, so yeah barely a mid size truck IMO

fc

2016 Toyota Tacoma

They are so long! Fun in parking lots??
    IPA will save America

fc

2016 Toyota Tacoma

Yeah I'm not drinking Toyota's kool-aid. The frame is "re-inforced" but that doesn't make it all new. If they can figure how to stop the frames from rusting, that would be nice. The double cab lines are exactly the same, even down to the sliding window. They're using a new manufacturing proces that doesnt mean the body lines are completely new. A new engine was the least they could do, the current V6 gets pitiful gas mileage.
    What are some of the other bothersome issues btw? And what is mileage like?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I think the trd looks better

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Francois,
    The very latest is the recall for broken rear leaf springs that pretty much affects every 2nd gen except the single cabs and the '09+. There are also some issues with wheel bearings wearing too fast if you've got a 4x4, some driveline vibration on 4x4s, and the "whistling" windshield that even my truck suffers from. I've got a manual transmission, and people complain about that being weak but the only issue I've had with mine is a loud throw-out bearing which doesn't affect performance at all. The frame rust issue is starting to come up in trucks in the northern states, and there is a recall for frame inspection IIRC.
    Mileage around the city is around 14-15mpg and on the highway up to 17-18mpg. I've never been able to get more than about 305 miles out of a single tank even doing all completely highway trips.

I'm not saying truck is garbage, but it's not perfect either and with the 3rd gen I'm hoping Toyota will at least try to address these issues. Mine is an '05 Off-Road 4x2 and it has been very reliable so far, but I did do my homework and bought one that had been well maintained and i try to maintain it well too.

mtbr member
    Mileage around the city is around 14-15mpg and on the highway up to 17-18mpg. I've never been able to get more than about 305 miles out of a single tank even doing all completely highway trips.
    Odd. The 2012 Dbl Cab 4.0 V6 short box I rented for two weeks avg'd 21.5 MPG of mountainous interstate driving (I70 W and I70 E, Denver to Grand Junction/western slope).
    '13 DB Mason B+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

stoked gnar shred
    u mean no diesel!?!?! no cummins engine and coal rollin? smh
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Odd. The 2012 Dbl Cab 4.0 V6 short box I rented for two weeks avg'd 21.5 MPG of mountainous interstate driving (I70 W and I70 E, Denver to Grand Junction/western slope).
    the auto gets slightly better gas mileage then the manuals for some reason. i'm also not on the stock tires so that might be part of the reason. even when i had the stock tires, mileage wasn't significantly better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got 21MPG (highway) on all Tacoma's I've had (V6, 4WD). Once I upped the size to 32", took a 1-2MPG hit, so was down at 19MPG.

I like this new Tacoma. I think it looks great. If you want to see ugly, check out the new Titans.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I never thought the Tacoma's looked good and the 2016 is the ugliest of them all. That being said, I know that they are good trucks, but I'd never own one.

mtbr member
    I hate to say it and I probably shouldn't till I get to drive it. But I think Chevy won this one. Fully boxed frame, better looking, better 4cyl and diesel. And for people like me I can get the locking diff and no carpet in the work truck trim. So thats 4wd, 4cyl, only extra power windows and locks and a easy to keep clean vinyl floor for 26k. I use to have a 1st gen tacoma and I loved it. I so wanted Toyota to knock it out of the park with the new one. It really looks like they might have gotten to second base.

mtbr member
    I've never understood the obsession with pickup trucks. I think they are some of the least attractive and poorest driving vehicles made...and they keep getting uglier! The new Ford F150 is an abomination. The Tacoma was the only pickup I didn't think was ugly as hell...until now.

And the front ends keep getting bigger and flatter and bigger and flatter...like they are trying to look like 18 wheeler cabs or something...which are even uglier than pickups!
    The 29er experiment proved that 26" wheels were just fine and that 650b wheels are completely unnecessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    I think the trd looks better

I love that they're starting to bring back the biege. I am expecting to see this biege offered on all the TRDPRO models in the near future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    I love that they're starting to bring back the biege. I am expecting to see this biege offered on all the TRDPRO models in the near future.
    Same. Hoping this color is not TRD exclusive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I've never understood the obsession with pickup trucks. I think they are some of the least attractive and poorest driving vehicles made...and they keep getting uglier! The new Ford F150 is an abomination. The Tacoma was the only pickup I didn't think was ugly as hell...until now.

And the front ends keep getting bigger and flatter and bigger and flatter...like they are trying to look like 18 wheeler cabs or something...which are even uglier than pickups!
    One of the funniest posts I've read. Different tools for different jobs, chief. Wouldn't want to get that pwetty new Subi all doity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    One of the funniest posts I've read. Different tools for different jobs, chief. Wouldn't want to get that pwetty new Subi all doity.
    I agree, chief. But this is a post about opinions and my opinion is that pickups are inherently ugly.

I drive 70 miles one way to work on Atlanta freeways. 1 in 5 vehicles is a pickup and none of them have anything in the bed. Right tool for the right job? I'm not sure a ridiculously uncomfortable, 250 year old suspension system, 12 mpg pickup is the right tool for the thousands of guys who listened to that gravely-voiced commercial narrator who told them how tough they were if they drove a truck on their way to their job as warehouse supervisor for Sears.

But that one time a year when they throw a sheet of drywall in there and can say, in that same gravely voice "Good thing I've got this Hemi Supercab double crew off-road platinum edition heavy-duty sport pickup truck!"

If that's what makes 'em happy, good for them. My opinion is they are ugly and uncomfortable!
    The 29er experiment proved that 26" wheels were just fine and that 650b wheels are completely unnecessary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I guess that goes for four or all wheel drive...at least its there when you need it. I couldnt do without my 44 crew cab Silverado.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I agree, chief. But this is a post about opinions and my opinion is that pickups are inherently ugly.

I drive 70 miles one way to work on Atlanta!
    That sucks you have to drive 70 miles one way. Hopefully it isn't on GA400! I would never do that commute in a truck every day, except maybe now that gas is $2.00/gallon. For the rest of us that actually haul power tools, wood, rock, brick, manure, sand, dirt, mulch, firewood, snowmachines, motorcycles, etc. they are the most practical vehicle ever made. Cannot do that with a sedan that gets 35 mpg.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast