Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

2015 Subaru Outback

Looks like a revamp. Anyone try it yet? Anyone considering it?

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I like it, but I don't like the integrated roof rack system. Not open enough to use all my Yakima infrastructure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unfortunately Subaru isn't offering the new Outback with a manual transmission in the USA. My wife and I prefer vehicles with three pedals so if we were looking for a new vehicle the 2015 Outback wouldn't be on the list.

I think it looks better than the current generation, though not as good as the 2005-2009 Outbacks. I wish they would get rid of the integrated rack and go back to siderails. So much more versatile for those who really use their roof racks.

mtbr member
    When I was getting my 08 Forester serviced the dealer gave me an 013 outback to drive around. It was like driving a boat I couldn't wait to give it back . I don't know what I'm going to do when it comes time to replace it. The 08 forester is the last cheep fun to drive wagon from Subaru.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My parents are picking one up next week, should get to see it and drive it in a few weeks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    nope. the Outback roof rack is the primary reason why I will never buy one.

if that system is so good, why not have similar ones for the Forester & Impreza XV?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Roof rack aside (which honestly, works fine for most people, even many people who complain without using it), the 2015 Outback is night and day better compared to the older car. Which was a great car on it's own.

The reason, I surmise, they don't have that roof rack on the Forester and Impreza, is those are lower priced cars, and Subaru theoretically considers the intergrated rack a premium touch that only belongs on the more expensive Outback.

That said, I don't personally like the integrated rack very much. But it totally wouldn't prevent me from buying a car. The only people who really would be at a disadvantage with the integrated rack are those people who like to have really wide crossbars- they've made the spacing adjustable so even if you need really wide crossbar spacing front-to-back, you're covered.

Manual transmission in an Outback is just done, I'm not super happy about that but most people don't care given the size of the vehicle and the fact that the CVT is wayyy better in acceleration and MPG. The 6 speed manual on the 2010-14 was garbage, I'd have taken a CVT over that every day, it was just rubbery and ill paired to the car, it sucked to drive.

Anyways, for those who haven't driven a 2015 yet, compared to the '10-'14 the handing is both sportier while being more supple (this surprised me a lot), and aside from the increased fuel economy (better than Forester now) and additional airbags, the main changes are in the amenities department... interior materials are nicer, more creature comforts, infotainment system, etc etc.

As a salesperson and Subaru enthusiast, I've learned to stop crying about what Subaru used to be. The new Outbacks are seriously nice. Legacy too. I never thought I'd get excited over a Legacy after 2009.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    My girlfriend has her choices down narrowed down to either the 2015 Outback (with the V6) or the 2015 4Runner... She loved the way the Outback drove but still has to test drive the 4Runner.

connisseur
    I really like my 13' Outback, drove it from the CO front range to Socal and back in April and it did real well on the mountainous route, even loaded with 2 bikes on the back and a car full of camping gear. I don't use the roof racks much, use a 1up rear rack, but I have run a rocket box up top and when I was in LA we mounted a Yakima rail to it no problems. It will plow thru a foot of snow no problem with the clearance too, also nice for rocky fireroads to get to the goods

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yet another car I can cross off my list. No manual transmission, no deal. I can see an automatic in a truck, but this is nothing more than a jacked up car, so it should have a manual available. Holding out for the new Golf Sportwagon, Tdi 4Motion 6 speed. That would be the ultimate ski/bike car for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Those of you who say "no manual, no deal", have any of you ever driven a 10-13 Legacy or Outback with the 6MT?

I get why people like manuals, I really do. If my wife allowed, I'd buy a 5MT Crosstrek for sure. But some manuals just suck. And some automatics are just great. Something like 4 out of 5 manual transmission drivers that I am selling cars to, upon learning that the automatic is noticably faster to 60 AND gets like 3-4 more MPG, will jump ship to the CVT happily. A few (I could count as one) will cling to the manual transmission Subaru because they like the manual's AWD setup over the automatic (most people can't notice a difference).

Like it or not, we are fast approaching the death of the manual transmission. So that's great to cling to them while you can, but sooner or later, unless you are cool with finding 20 year old cars and keeping them running, we'll all be driving automatics.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's not just the CVT, but the whole "softening" of the Outback, plus the addition of even more technology, which in turn needs additional technology (Eyesight) to help drivers distracted by technology. It's not really Subaru's fault, they are just responding to owner requests. At some point we will have to stop calling these people "drivers" and instead call them something else. It is ironic how as a nation we don't value mass transit, yet surveys show more and more people want autonomous cars, which is where most cars seem to be heading. OK, old-man rant off. Sorry.

mtbr member
    I'm trading in my 2011 BMW 335i for a 2015 Outback 3.6R...as soon as I can find one! I get Friends and Family pricing so it's not a matter of price, it's a matter of finding one! My local dealer has a couple dozen 2.5i's but ZERO 3.6R. There is only one 3.6R within a 100 miles of me and it has no moonroof or navi -- both of which I insist on.

As for the roof rack, it's funny but that's one of the things that sold me on the car. I'm going to use a hitch rack for my bike most of the time but there are a few times a year when I want to throw a surfboard, SUP, kayak, or cargo bag on the roof and the included roof rack is perfect for that.

In fact, sitting on the beach in Santa Rosa, FL, right now, I wish I had the car. I'd rent a SUP for a half day if I could get it from the rental place to the house.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    KevinGT, just order one, it'll take about 6 weeks at this point and you can get exactly what you want.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Those of you who say "no manual, no deal", have any of you ever driven a 10-13 Legacy or Outback with the 6MT?

I get why people like manuals, I really do. If my wife allowed, I'd buy a 5MT Crosstrek for sure. But some manuals just suck. And some automatics are just great. Something like 4 out of 5 manual transmission drivers that I am selling cars to, upon learning that the automatic is noticably faster to 60 AND gets like 3-4 more MPG, will jump ship to the CVT happily. A few (I could count as one) will cling to the manual transmission Subaru because they like the manual's AWD setup over the automatic (most people can't notice a difference).

Like it or not, we are fast approaching the death of the manual transmission. So that's great to cling to them while you can, but sooner or later, unless you are cool with finding 20 year old cars and keeping them running, we'll all be driving automatics.
    That is a great point but the main reason to get a manual Subaru is that the AWD system is different. With the automatic, the AWD is a 80/20 split that transfers power based on slippage. With the manual, the AWD system is a viscous coupling system that starts at 50/50 and distributes power from there. The ride and AWD capability are different.

With that said, your point, from a transmission point of view, is 100% correct. The manual transmission in the Subaru is nothing special. Now the Mazda manual and automatic are something else...
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 09-02-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Dissolved member
    The new styling makes it look like a Toyota. How can a manual transmission feel "rubbery"? Does it feel rubbery in the 2015 WRX STI, too? Too much marketing BS going on in this thread.

mtbr member

Re: 2015 Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    That is a great point but the main reason to get a manual Subaru is that the AWD system is different. With the automatic, the AWD is a 80/20 split that transfers power based on slippage. With the manual, the AWD system is a viscous coupling system that starts at 50/50 and distributes power from there. The ride and AWD capability are different.

With that said, your point, from a transmission point of view, is 100% correct. The manual transmission in the Subaru is nothing special. Now the Mazda manual and automatic are something else...
    Yes, but it doesn't start at 80/20 proportion. I can end up there or at 20/80.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2015 Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    The new styling makes it look like a Toyota. How can a manual transmission feel "rubbery"? Does it feel rubbery in the 2015 WRX STI, too? Too much marketing BS going on in this thread.
    Due to the soft durometer bushings used on standard manuals.

STI is different,, through a combo of geometry and higher durometer bushings used

A common mod to the soft bushings was to replace it with urethane bushings

Ps on the cvt, the default split is 60:40

swag ho Administrator
    Good info so far. Looks like I'm getting the new Outback for ma wife.

2.5 Engine, IMBA discount means best value around.

I have the Crosstrek XV and love it. The slower I go, the better it is!

I'm not concerned about that roof rack since it's all about the hitch rack these days. Way more economical, useable and kid friendly. In fact, I make my kids load their own bikes on hitch rack. I used the roof rack yesterday and injured my shoulder. Jeebus!!

And manual? It used to be cool but now it has less useable power, acceleration, fuel economy. Manual is cool on a BRZ and Mini Cooper but on this kind of car, it's mostly hanging on to old habits.

Here's my Crosstrek yesterday!

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Subaru Outback-10348461_10152592650208213_6977820271607782940_n.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't start at 80/20 proportion. I can end up there or at 20/80.
    No the automatic does start exactly that way or used to. Up until a few years ago, it was a 80% front, 20 % rear under normal driving. The AWD is electronically controlled and can go anywhere from there. This is much better than other cars that claim to be AWD, where they are 100% front and only turn the rear wheels when there is significant front slippage.

Now, I think there are more neutral (60/40 or even 40/60) electronic systems that Subaru uses, but these are more recent (and found in there larger SUV type vehicles.

The manual is 50/50. Viscous coupling. Old fashion. Works but is slower to react and can burn out quickly.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    2015 looks nice, I'd like the safety package, too.

I have a 2011 Outback, biggest drawback is the hatch opening really makes it hard to get a bike inside, even with both wheels and seat off, a real PITA. I put a 2" hitch on mine so I could carry bikes on the back. hitch is very easy to install and Subaru provides some easy to follow instructions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No the automatic does start exactly that way or used to. Up until a few years ago, it was a 80% front, 20 % rear under normal driving. The AWD is electronically controlled and can go anywhere from there. This is much better than other cars that claim to be AWD, where they are 100% front and only turn the rear wheels when there is significant front slippage.

Now, I think there are more neutral (60/40 or even 40/60) electronic systems that Subaru uses, but these are more recent (and found in there larger SUV type vehicles.

The manual is 50/50. Viscous coupling. Old fashion. Works but is slower to react and can burn out quickly.
    Like I said, the CVT on the outback is 60:40.

the old 4-speed auto, was originally a 90:10 default split, later 80:20 default, to 60:40 before they killed it off in favor for a CVT.

If it had Vehicle Dynamics control (ie an older 3.6R or LGT), 45:55 default.

Yes, the manuals are viscous coupling at 50:50

minus the STI, the older models had the availability of a rear viscous coupling LSD, for rear side to side torque transfer (open front)

mtbr member

2015 Subaru Outback

2015 Subaru Outback-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415315957.245770.jpg2015 Subaru Outback-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415315969.410604.jpg

Picked this up last week to replace my '07 CX7. Used my IMBA discount, traded in the Mazda and put some cash down to get the payments where I wanted them. My Yakima racks fit well as pictured. Love the finish of the car and it's fun to drive with great mpg compared to similarly sized SUVs. Glad to be back on team Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I think since 2011ish, most of the subaru models switched to 40:60 ratio.

I have a 2008 manual impreza with VDC and traction control. It's a beast in the snow. The system starts out at 50:50 traction, and can move around from there, but the braking limited slip helps reign in on traction on takeoff, it simply GOES. Worlds apart better than our 2011 Rav4 system, which sucks donkey nuts compared to my subaru. Going up a steep driveway, the subaru is the clear winner.

Now whoever said the manual was rubbery, i don't think so. Miney's buttery smooth, it's quite nice. I like it better than german cars, but not as nice as honda manuals.

mtbr member
    Test drove a '15 Outback last week while my '06 was in for service. I loved it and was surprised at the acceleration of the 4 cylinder compared to my 6 cylinder. The car was solid, is bigger then my vehicle but more efficient. To me that is a win/win. I plan to buy one next year when I will have close to 150k on the current Subi. Probably a '16 model year when I actually make the purchase.

I see someone else complained about the technology but I have no problem with that. I've had years of experience with BMWs, Volvos, Mercedes and way too many VW's which were essentially crap machines. Being a slow learner, I stuck with VW's for 25 years which shows how dumb I can be at times.

The Subaru was the first really great car I've owned. It did everything I expected and was not constantly breaking down. The handling in a couple of emergency situations caused by someone on a cell phone was excellent. The AWD gripped the road and got out of the way without any fuss. I don't need anything else.

For driving fun, my wife has a Mini. Not practical but much closer to the sports cars of my youth then many current "sports" cars but that is a different story.

My first experience with a Subaru was my son's STi. That was one heck of a sports car!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast