mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2014 Subaru Forrester

Anyone looking forward to getting a new Forrester? I think they really did some great things for the 2014. My husband is pretty much set on getting one. Any opinions? I currently own a 2011 sti hatch so we've already drank the subie koolaid lol.

mtbr member

2014 Subaru Forrester

Considering one. And the older I get the less I care about the XT having a CVT.

mtbr member
    I should be getting my diesel Forester by the end of March, hopefully.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I haven't driven one yet, should in about a week or so, but we had a pre-production Touring model in our store that I played with a lot, and by and large they did a fantastic job. The styling isn't awesome (but it's a Subaru), but they updated everything that needed to be updated. I recommend factory ordering one, as if you want one right away it can be quite a ***** getting exactly what you want as usually they are super hard to get when they first come out (such was the case with the Outback redesign, the Impreza redesign, the XV...)
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I haven't driven one yet, should in about a week or so, but we had a pre-production Touring model in our store that I played with a lot, and by and large they did a fantastic job. The styling isn't awesome (but it's a Subaru), but they updated everything that needed to be updated. I recommend factory ordering one, as if you want one right away it can be quite a ***** getting exactly what you want as usually they are super hard to get when they first come out (such was the case with the Outback redesign, the Impreza redesign, the XV...)
    That's what I've told my husband, I have a feeling they will be super hard to find exactly how you want used as well. I know I found my STi by just luck of it all and had to drive 3 hours.

Let me know what you think for sure!

thecentralscrutinizer
    If I order one, can I use my IMBA discount on it?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Can you get a Non-CVT auto trans in a 2014, or is 2013 the last year of the 4 speed?
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: 2014 Subaru Forrester

Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Also curious as well! I know they just started allowing brz and sti but if supply is limited they may exclude it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaMotocross View Post
    Can you get a Non-CVT auto trans in a 2014, or is 2013 the last year of the 4 speed?
    The Lineartronic CVT is the only automatic transmission available now. The ancient 4EAT is no more.

For shiftability, all the lower-trim levels will NOT have the paddle shifters (as far as I know) and instead will have a "L" (Low) mode for situations requiring engine braking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    I can't say for sure, but I think they will allow VIP on this. The XV/WRX/STI are "at dealer discretion", which for the WRX/STI is understandable since there are so few of them, but we've been allowing it on XV's. For Foresters I am doing factory orders at invoice cost to anyone, which is the same as the IMBA discount. Which is why I suspect VIP won't be a problem.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can't say for sure, but I think they will allow VIP on this. The XV/WRX/STI are "at dealer discretion", which for the WRX/STI is understandable since there are so few of them, but we've been allowing it on XV's. For Foresters I am doing factory orders at invoice cost to anyone, which is the same as the IMBA discount. Which is why I suspect VIP won't be a problem.

Do you know how long they will do factory orders?

When the new Mustang 5.0 came out I had one factory ordered from a Ford dealership here and I know that there's a period of time that dealer allocation isn't taken into account when ordering. After that time frame, the dealer had to have the allocation to order one for me. I am curious what sort of time frame we might be looking at on being able to order the exact one we want versus trying to actually find one relatively close.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You can order a car anytime from now until buildout for 2014's, which I'm guessing would be like January 2014, then there is a period where you can't order, until they open up orders on 2015's.

Factory orders, as far as time-wise, will take anywhere from 2 to 4 months, hard to say right now. Figure on 3-4 months from when you order. The Foresters don't come out of allocation so you need not worry about that, but honestly, if you know what you want, get an order in, unless it's a fairly common model and you aren't picky about color. When the 2012 Imprezas came out, it was a frenzy. They'd come in, sell the same day, we'd wait a few weeks til the next ones came in, and half of them were reserved before they even hit the ground. And that is a common car, just like the Forester. The XV's and BRZ's were even worse in that regard.

What I do, and this is our policy, probably varies from dealer to dealer, is I'm letting people factory order cars, and when the car shows up, if the customer doesn't like it, we simply refund their deposit and sell it to someone else. That way if you're 90% sure you want one, you don't have to wait forever or compete with other customers to get it.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can order a car anytime from now until buildout for 2014's, which I'm guessing would be like January 2014, then there is a period where you can't order, until they open up orders on 2015's.

Factory orders, as far as time-wise, will take anywhere from 2 to 4 months, hard to say right now. Figure on 3-4 months from when you order. The Foresters don't come out of allocation so you need not worry about that, but honestly, if you know what you want, get an order in, unless it's a fairly common model and you aren't picky about color. When the 2012 Imprezas came out, it was a frenzy. They'd come in, sell the same day, we'd wait a few weeks til the next ones came in, and half of them were reserved before they even hit the ground. And that is a common car, just like the Forester. The XV's and BRZ's were even worse in that regard.

What I do, and this is our policy, probably varies from dealer to dealer, is I'm letting people factory order cars, and when the car shows up, if the customer doesn't like it, we simply refund their deposit and sell it to someone else. That way if you're 90% sure you want one, you don't have to wait forever or compete with other customers to get it.
    Thanks for all your help. My husband and I discussed and he has decided that we will be pre-ordering one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by csledd281 View Post
    Thanks for all your help. My husband and I discussed and he has decided that we will be pre-ordering one.
    Not a problem!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy