mtbr member

2013 Ford Explorer Roof Rack Solution

After a ton a lot of research, I finally found a solution for a roof rack system for our Ford Explorer. We chose a roof rack because we didn't want to take up the extra space with a hitch mount. Although it's not as easy to get the bikes up there, I like it very much. I have it down to where I can mount all three bikes (Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Rockhopper, and a 20in Trek kids bike).

The system is comprised of the following:

Whispbar S47 Base System
    Whispbar WB200 Fork Mount Bike Rail (X2)
    Thule 594XT Sidearm Bike Rail

The Whispbar S47 is incredibly easy to install and hasn't moved an inch on short or long drives. Like advertised, it's extremely quiet. Can't really tell a difference until you load the bikes up.

The Whispbar WB200's are a work of art. The difference in the packaging from the Thule 594XT Sidearm is night and day. The three key elements to the WB200 is that is come fully assembled, installation is a matter of closing the two bars which locks the feet into the Whispbar channels. Zero movement, very plush and the bike stays solid in the locks.

There's been enough chat about the Thule 594XT that I won't really get into it. Only that I added and extra tire strap to the front so that it doesn't skip out of the rail.

All in all, I'm very happy with how everything works and how it looks. Here are some pics:

Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    Hey tapcon, that looks good. I just bought a new 2013 Ford Escape that has the Factory roof/luggage rack. Is that what yours had to start with too? and does the Whispbar fit on it? and why the Thule in the middle ? thanks for any ideas.

JohnnyK

mtbr member
    The side rails are OEM which were there when we bought the vehicle. The Whispbar fits perfect. I've had them on for about a month, and there has been ZERO slippage or problems with them. The Thule in the middle is for my kids' bike. They don't have QR, so I just use the side arm for their bikes. I've got it down to about 2 minutes to mount all the bikes.

Glad I could help.
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    Thanks, I just went to Yakimas site and my rack is not the siderail but the crossbar model and it says it will not work on mine.

JohnnyK

mtbr member
    Which Escape do you have?

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    its the 2013 SEL and the roof rack is not just side rails it has cross bars that look like you could bolt on bike rails to them

mtbr member
    Yeah, I just went on rackattack's website to see if it would work. The Thule Aeroblade will work for you though. I've heard good things about them. I was originally going to go with that set up, but when I saw the Whispbar's option to mount on the OEM rails, I went for that for a sleeker look.

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    Thanks I will look at the Thule, your setup does look sleek. Wind noise should be ok on the Thule huh ?

mtbr member
    Everyone that I have spoken to about them have said they are comparable to the Whispbar.

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    Thanks again for all your help..