mtbr member

New question here. 2006 Jetta Roof Racks

Anyone have any experience with an aftermarket base roof rack for a 2006 Jetta? I recently bought the Yakima base rack and let's just say, I'm less than impressed. The fit seems poor and the two front clips are either too loose, causing the rack to move, or too tight, causing damage on the crossbar. I'm on hold with the place I bought it right now and I'm considering sending the whole kit back and getting a Thule base rack. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

mtbr member
    So, it looks like I'm stuck with this POS no matter what. I'm going to take it all apart and start over and see if I did something wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Yakima rack for my wife's 2006 Jetta, works fine, though it's noisy with bare crossbars. I've found it takes two people to install the rack, clamping both sides down simultaneously. May be a good idea to double check that you have the correct clips for your car.

What do you mean by damage on the crossbar? The plastic coating on the rack will deform where the Q-towers clamp.

mtbr member
    The gold piece ended up being too high when tightening it and it scratched the finish off of the crossbars like a file. The clips are correct as they are the Q5 clips. The towers on the front are either too loose and everything moves around or I have to tighten them up so much that the gold piece slides all the way up and contacts the bar. My measurements from the front of the vehicle are right on. The only measurement that is off is the distance between the two crossbars. That shouldn't affect the tension of the individual pieces on the front though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bet if you set the crossbar distance correctly it will fix your problem, the Jetta roof has some curve to it. The gold pieces are very close to the crossbars on our setup, but they don't touch.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Be careful with how tight you get those towers on the car. The majority of q tower users I know have dents in their roof from doing that.

I'm sure the yakima fans will challenge this, but thule makes a much better system for bare roof cars. Their foot pads are much larger and made to fit the car (vs. yak's little universal pads) Also, keep an eye on those little pads as they're biodegradable and will turn to goo eventually. One more thing that will result in the rack loosening and denting the roof.

I love yakima's control towers and rail grabs, but the q towers are disappointing. They do seem to work great on older cars with thicker sheetmetal and flatter roofs though.

mtbr member
    So the resolution, if you want to call it that, is this...I took the entire assembly apart and started over from the beginning. I found that the measurements were off as some had suggested. They are now perfect and the problem with fit is better however one of the q cam covers does not close properly. The part is $11 and I ordered a new one instead of talking to Yakima again. Hopefully, that will solve the issue of the cover not closing all the way, so I'll be able to install locks and have some peace of mind that my bikes etc are safe up there. I've read that the q-cam cover issue is a common issue so I'm hoping it's that easy. Thanks for the responses and the information to consider with this. Now just waiting for the 1Up roof rack to get here and I can stop carrying my bike inside my car!

mtbr member
    If the q-cam is the part I'm thinking it is (I haven't pulled the instructions out in years), I fixed mine with a file, and it locks down perfect know. It doesn't look perfect, but neither do the bikes on top of it.

Not sure how much time you've spent driving with it on there yet, but it's LOUD....you may want to get the wind deflector.

mtbr member
    Loud? It's oppressive! Gonna have to get the fairing for this thing.

mtbr member

2006 Jetta Roof Racks

The $11 replacement q cam cover was spot on and all is well now. The folks at etrailer.com are amazing. Truly great customer service. Check them out!