mtbr member

2005-2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Racks

Looking into buying a 05-09 Legacy Sedan. I've looked through the who else drives a Subaru thread, seems most people are in Imprezas and Outbacks with a few Foresters thrown in. Curious what you sedan drivers are using for roof or hitch racks. Pictures are a plus. I'm considering the Yakima Whispbars. I'd also consider a hitch, read here and there about them dragging easily. What's your setup?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had a thule T2 on my wrx with a hitch. No scraping, and I have a pretty steep driveway. The issue sometimes comes from some of the aftermarket "hidden hitches" that tuck in way low and forward, then when you run a rack obviously it may be an issue. Most modern racks (not designed in the late 80s) are designed to give you ample clearance in this area as well, and not just "stick out" at the same height, but where you set the bikes is actually quite a bit higher than where it goes into the receiver. Usually no issue.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    i have an 08 wrx with a roof rack. I had a 2000 Audi TT with a hitche rack and hit it a couple of times pulling into random driveways. It was $20 for the hitch rack (used) and $900 for the roof rack. Quite a difference! I have a few pics of the TT.. my brother made me take off the hitch (I was towing my moto with it, he did not like as he's a VW tech), but you can at least see how that mounted up and the pic looking back shows that the bike was actually wider than the car itself when on the hitch rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Racks-tt3.jpg  

2005-2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Racks-tt.jpg  

2005-2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Racks-rexxie.jpg  

2005-2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Racks-rexxie1.jpg  

Last edited by Katie785; 04-09-2012 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    The Legacys have more car behind the rear wheels than an Impreza. I'm starting from scratch so either way I'll be spending a good chunk of money on a rack setup. I guess at this point finding a fit kit for a legacy sedan using Whispbars is tricky. I don't have the car yet so it's not a big deal right now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, again, most hitch racks designed recently avoid these problems to the most part. Yes, every once and a while you might want to avoid the steepest transitions or take them at an angle, but I have a pretty steep driveway and these things are designed (hitches and racks) to avoid these problems for the most part. The OEM type hitches or whatever is closest are usually the best route. The more obscure "hidden hitch" ones may not be, although they may work, usually they hang lower and tuck in further, creating the possible problems you describe. Roof racks were popular in the 90s due to pretty much all hitch racks being of extremely poor design, now hitch racks are designed rather well and there are few advantages to roof racks, although there are certain situations or cars where they are necessary, but not that many.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ordered the fit kit and it should have gotten here saturday, but USPS screwed up the delivery and I still havent received it. Ill let you know. I did pull out the Whispbars the other night and took a real close look at then and they seem to be really nice. I cant wait to get them on.

Also I got the fit kit from rackandgo.com
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Here it is:

Took it on the highway this morning up to 80 mph and it was dead silent. I will be throwing my bike and bike rack on it tonight and will let you know how much it changes.

mtbr member
    it really doesnt make any noise at all? Mine sure does, but that could be the wind deflector in the front. With the bike on it, it's even louder. It's not obnoxious, but it's not dead silent either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yea, they are super quiet. They are shaped like an aircraft wing so the air just slips past. My friend has Thule square bars on his '11 WRX, and my dad has the older Thule Aerobars on his Saab and they are REALLY loud. The ones on the Saab roar with just the bars, no racks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting up those pictures, looks great. That looks like the setup I would want to use on the roof. I haven't bought a Legacy yet, still might get a wagon which changes the rack situation.

mtbr member
    Got a 2007 legacy with a hitch installed from u-haul. If i would do it again i would deff go with a roof rack. The hitch i got makes the car to low to the ground and some times when i back out of my driveway which is inclined a little or going over a speed bump not entirely slow it will hit the ground....

let me know if you want photos, I actually have the hitch on it right now with my "Off-Dirt" bike on it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragos View Post
    Got a 2007 legacy with a hitch installed from u-haul. If i would do it again i would deff go with a roof rack. The hitch i got makes the car to low to the ground and some times when i back out of my driveway which is inclined a little or going over a speed bump not entirely slow it will hit the ground....

let me know if you want photos, I actually have the hitch on it right now with my "Off-Dirt" bike on it

If it's not too late photos would be nice. I've read the best hitch clearance wise is the OEM Subaru hitch.