mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2" Hitch Bike Rack that holds 4 or 5 bikes under $500.00 any good ones ??

Guy's looking for some feedback on a 4 or 5 Bike Rack for a Hitch Receiver.. Thule has a NEW rack the " Apex " model 9026 that holds 5 bikes ?? Whats been working for you ??

I have looked at the 1up but don't have the CASH to do it since I need to hold 4 bikes at the minium..

Thanks....

Sharky1528

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I recently purchased a Thule, I don't know the exact model but it came in at around $300. It works fine for my needs and it's my second Thule hitch rack.

I did have some problems with my first rack in that the bolt that secures the rack to your hitch came loose and disappeared on the freeway. I happened to make a stop to use the restroom when I noticed the rack (with two bikes attached) just barely hanging onto the hitch.

I had a buddy drill out a larger hole in the rack where it attaches to the hitch and I use a large nut and bolt combo with two locking washers to keep it secure. I'm not sure if I'll do the same with this new rack, I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it too becomes loose.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1528 View Post
    Guy's looking for some feedback on a 4 or 5 Bike Rack for a Hitch Receiver.. Thule has a NEW rack the " Apex " model 9026 that holds 5 bikes ?? Whats been working for you ??

I have looked at the 1up but don't have the CASH to do it since I need to hold 4 bikes at the minium..

Thanks....

Sharky1528
    any of the hanging style bike racks are going to fit into your budget pretty easily...even the new apex swing from Thule, which is a really nice rack, is $499 retail.

I would want to know what kind of car you're putting it on, and your real capacity...if you need 5 bikes, you limit yourself to 2 or 3 diff't racks from thule and yakima...but 4 opens up a lot more possibility. is the roof an option for a 5th bike?
    assuming (since this is a mtb forum) you have mountain bikes, are we talking about full suspension, radical frame geometry? DH bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    im waiting for the softride hang five. it looks to be a very good rack

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Also interested

I am also interested in the new apex by Thule. Anyone have one yet? I'm mostly concerned about how much the bikes sway and how to keep the front tire from swaying as well. Bungee cords never seemed to work very well when I had a Yakima Super Joe. Perhaps I didn't keep them taught enough…

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Someone on Pinkbike is selling a used Thule T2 4 bike rack for $350. Check it out
    Thule T2 with add-on for 4 bikes - Pinkbike.com

Edit - looks like it is local pickup in Montana, so might not work. Check pinkbike for other racks though!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've had great luck with a four bike, 2 inch receiver rack from Allen. I purchased it about thirteen years ago and it is still going strong. The company's website lists the cost of their top of the line five bike rack at $259.99 and the four bike carriers are less than that.

If you look past the students in these photos (I have the pleasure of taking students mountain biking), you'll see the rack folded down and in use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2" Hitch Bike Rack that holds 4 or 5 bikes under 0.00 any good ones ??-bike-rack-1.jpg  

2" Hitch Bike Rack that holds 4 or 5 bikes under 0.00 any good ones ??-bike-rack-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I do need 4 and a 5 bike would be nice for taking a extra bike BUT a 4 bike is a must.

The Rack will go on a Truck and Yes I have mountain bikes ( 2 ) 29er's a 26 and a BMX

The new Thule looks nice ... anyone have one yet ??

Sharky1528

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the equivalent roof rack to that Thule I posted above. The ratchet mechanism works like a dream, and its simple to use. You will need to get the longer arm for the 29'ers, but I don't think that should be too difficult to acquire.

If you are putting all these bikes on at the same time, you might run into an issue with the bikes not matching up properly, causing fit issues. My main concern would be the bmx against the large MTB's.

I'm your density
    +1 on the Allen. Amazon has the 5-bike Premium for $150 and free shipping if you're a Prime member.

I got the 4-bike Premium a few years ago. I have had all manner of bike frame styles secured to that rack -- different FS frames incl. Y-frame, kid's bikes, 40-lb. ladies beach-cruisers,... The tie-down points rotate on the carry arms to accommodate different frame geometries.

The Premium model also has spring-loaded pins to disengage the carry arms (to fold down when not in use) and the main rack tube (to pivot the rack down for access to vehicle lift gates). The Deluxe model has removable pins with lanyards.

The hitch pin that comes with the rack is non-locking, but has "shoulders" to keep the rack from wobbling. I put a regular locking pin on and the wobbling is not excessive.
    Last edited by random walk; 02-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Something to think about is that a lot of FS bikes don't work
    on a hanging bike rack. I ride Trek EX and Yeti bikes, and had
    to get a wheel type rack and give up on the hanging rack. Just
    something to consider. I would try the rack first to make sure
    it will work with your bikes.

Best, John