mtbr member
    Feb 2012

1up vs yakima, usa made?

Need a good 2 bike Hitch mount. Cheaper the better lol, but I'll go up to around $450ish...any recommendations?

I really want something where bike is safe from moving around

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't recall my old Yakima Holdup being made in the USA. Yakima's HQ is in the USA. The rack moved all round and also squeaked a lot. The strong arm is pretty weak in terms of holding my road bike, as the arm can't grip slicks too well. Works fine with knobbies (ie my MTB & Cross bikes)

A 1up + rack add-on (for a Class I, II & III compatible) will be at $500, shipped.

I am normally pro-Yakima, but for for hitch mounted platform racks.... the 1up is worth the extra $60

looks like they updated the Holdup for 2013... to fix some of the issues I had....
    1) the trays are movable, because I couldn't get 2 bikes on there, because the handlebars will hit the other seat
    2) They added torque values to all bolts (because I also complained about that...tight to me may to snug to someone else... and I sometimes can be anal retentive on torquing bolts/nuts properly(.

3) They included the hitch pin lock... though it doesn't make a difference because it wasn't "compatible" with my reciever's chain loop position
    4) Integrated cable locks (similar to Kuat)

Off the saddle
    1Up, USA made. Yakima hitch racks, no (if I recall correctly)

mtbr member
    Thule, 1Up and Saris (if I remember correctly) are the only ones made in the U.S.
    For two bikes in the $450 range, I'd go with a KŁat Sherpa. Not made in the U.S., but a great U.S. company with good support.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    AWESOME!!! Likely go w 1up...no way to get ANY kind of deal on these things? 10%?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    AWESOME!!! Likely go w 1up...no way to get ANY kind of deal on these things? 10%?
    Not unless you find a used one. I think I've only seen one come up used... ever. I have my eyes out for a second tray used but never seen one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    bastards, lol...are they dealer direct only? No distributors....hmmmm

Happy Trails

1up vs yakima, usa made?

Thule. .... Is a good product, but I'm sold on 1Up durability and functionality.

If you want to spend as much as $450, spend $500 and get a 1Up double. I was a long time Thule guy, and they make great products, but the 1Up is definitely better, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 05-11-2013 at 09:28 PM.

RideDirt
    1up and never looks back .. The customer service is incredible and you can speak to someone anytime .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

1up vs yakima, usa made?

bastards, lol...are they dealer direct only? No distributors....hmmmm
    that keeps costs down by eliminating the middle man

mtbr member
    A couple weeks ago, I sent them an email asking if they could do anything by bundling in fat wheel adapters, 2-bike rack and wheel locks... here is their response:
    "Sorry, we're too busy now to consider deals or discounts. Thanks for the inquire."
    I would have likely ordered from them without a discount... but I was "too busy" to give them my money.

RideDirt
    Bacons - and they dont need customers like you ! Simple

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm a 1up fan and currently owns one. But it appears they need some education in business school. I would never answer a potential customer in that manner no matter how "busy" well you're currently is doing. That "busy" won't last if you continues to treat your potential customers that way. Amazes me how companies have so little business sense

RideDirt
    Ehhh you guys are just too butt hurt and taking responses the wrong way . I dont see that response being rude . It all depends how you interpret it . Thats the problem with society , everyone gets too emotional over stupid **** these days .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mfan View Post
    I'm a 1up fan and currently owns one. But it appears they need some education in business school. I would never answer a potential customer in that manner no matter how "busy" well you're currently is doing. That "busy" won't last if you continues to treat your potential customers that way. Amazes me how companies have so little business sense
    I don't see anything wrong with this. They are doing well and they can sell all that that they make without having to discount. What's wrong with that? Most customers of my business appreciate a forthright response. Would you rather have them give you some goofy excuse why they don't give discounts?

J.

ballbuster
    Yeah, they're a bit on the gruff side. I asked about replacement allen wrenches the other day saying I couldn't find it on the website. All I got back was a link. Seemed a bit like, 'Look closer, dumbass'. No 'hello, thanks for your biz, glad to help', stuff like that. They seem to be 'too busy' for common courtesy.

Still, they'll take care of you if you have any issues.

Great product, tho. I'd buy another.

mtbr member
    nail. Head.
    I'm not 'butthurt'. I simply asked if they would bundle a deal for me, and I got that response. Had they said, we're sorry, we don't offer discounts. Fine, no problem, i may have still placed the order. I totally understand you don't have to discount a great product, but you never know unless you ask.
    I come from the school of great customer service is the key to winning business. Polite business acumen falls in that category. I have recieved amazing customer service from Thule, Surly, Salsa, Kuat, and many others. They have earned my business because they care about the people using their products. Maybe I caught someone at 1Up on a bad day. Oh well.
    No more comments, no more butthurt, spend your money where you feel YOU will get the best service and products.

Single Speed Junkie
    Had a Yakima Roof rack and took it off for mileage gains. Replace with a Thule Hitch. Worked great for the time I owned it. Sold both Racks and Got the 1up. Rack is simply made yet with quality. When not in use I can fold it up in the garage taking much less space than either Yakima or Thule. Only complaint is that he rack blocks the OEM license plate location.