mtbr member
    Mar 2014

1UP USA roof rack - fixing rattle/vibration?

New 1UP silver roof rack mounted on a new Forester with the Subaru aero crossbars. Extremely happy with the mounting and locking mechanism so far, with one exception: it rattles when the rack is empty and the arms are closed. Like, rattles. It sounds to me like the "elbows" are moving slightly from side to side and banging against the body of the rack. Anyways, it rattles constantly whenever I hit a bump or drive on a road that isn't smoothly paved, and it even vibrates when there's a stiff breeze blowing a certain way, which I discovered this past weekend.

I called 1UP and their suggestion was: don't flatten the rack down all the way...leave the arms up at least one notch. Now I didn't say anything to them, but that came across as pretty annoying. Part of the reason why I bought their roof rack is because it folded down nice and sleek-like; I don't want to have it extended any higher. And hey, "don't use it like it's made to be used" is not exactly something you want to say about a product, at least in my personal view.

Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone figured out an easy fix, like patches in a certain spot? Or do people just live with it and/or not fold the arms down all the way?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Try to put a little sponge when you lower it all the way - I think it'll do the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well I don't keep spare sponge around....maybe I'll see about buying some clear sticky bike protection on key spots? It's annoying considering it wasn't a cheap rack, but I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Try this one - I'm pretty sure every household has one:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=spon...US%3B300%3B300

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hah....well......I'm not going around with a Scotchbrite folded up in my $250 roof rack, let's put it that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Maybe some strategically placed adhesive backed velco pieces - the softer "hook" side?

It has some thickness to it and is sort of compliant, so it might do the trick?
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I tried a little of the material that Lizard Skin chainstay protectors are made out of, and it wore through. Needs a firm and thick padding. This is on a hitch rack but same thing. The part that goes over the top of the tire, the end of the arms, bangs when folded down.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    They use to come with a rubber piece on each adjustable arm that would provide the cushion when the arm was lowered into the parked position. Do they no longer provide those pieces?

Maybe improvise and build up a cushion by wrapping with handlebar or duct tape?

Dirt Junkie
    Or you could call the company and ask their opinion....

Customer service should be contacted.

Thats alot of $$$ for this kind of issue.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastroots View Post

I called 1UP and their suggestion was: don't flatten the rack down all the way...leave the arms up at least one notch. Now I didn't say anything to them, but that came across as pretty annoying. Part of the reason why I bought their roof rack is because it folded down nice and sleek-like; I don't want to have it extended any higher. And hey, "don't use it like it's made to be used" is not exactly something you want to say about a product, at least in my personal view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Or you could call the company and ask their opinion....

Customer service should be contacted.

Thats alot of $$$ for this kind of issue.
    See first post!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm interested to hear they used to come with rubber cushions. That would seem to make total sense given that other people apparently have the same problem, but nothing like that came with mine. I'm will take off the rack this weekend and re-tighten all bolts to see if that makes a difference, but I'm pretty disappointed by the rattling. I had some friends in the car this weekend and one of them asked about the noise...

In all other ways it's an excellent product. It is a little bit annoying to have to lift the bike over the arm braces, but after looking at the mechanism I can see why it would be difficult to put the arms on the other side but have the latch accessible on the outside. It's actually only annoying because the Forester is fairly tall and I'm only 5-10 and have to get right up on tip-toes; but I knew that was going to be the challenge when I opted for a roof instead of hitch rack. If it was on a car it would be no problem whatsoever. Most modern bikes are 30 pounds or less anyway...if you were lugging a 45-pound alloy DH bike up there it would be a pretty good shoulder workout.

Sconie
    1UP USA roof rack - fixing rattle/vibration?-image.jpg1UP USA roof rack - fixing rattle/vibration?-image.jpgI had the buzzing with mine on the first day after I installed it. I took small pieces of an old inner tube and wrapped them tightly around the uprights where they were making contact. I then followed up with a right wrap of electrical table over the rubber to keep it in place. No problems since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yes, that looks like the same spot I was thinking it would be - on the arm more or less in line with where the elbow is attached. My rack is silver though, so electrical tape would look a little too budget. Hopefully I can find some sort of super-sticky clear pads. I was hoping those clear chainstay protectors might work, but someone above commented that they wore through pretty quickly.

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AMessy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	912948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	912949I had the buzzing with mine on the first day after I installed it. I took small pieces of an old inner tube and wrapped them tightly around the uprights where they were making contact. I then followed up with a right wrap of electrical table over the rubber to keep it in place. No problems since.

Seems legit.

Maybe you could send that picture to 1UP as a suggestion for an engineering fix........
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Sconie
    That's a good idea, they could offer it as standard with silver electrical tape, or with black electrical tape for $30 more.

Lol, I'm still not sure I would pay the extra for the black anno if I were buy another one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Haha well the entire car is white with black accents (skirt, rails, etc.) - so a black rack would definitely look better than the silver one. But you're right, I couldn't justify an extra $50 to myself - and the wife gave me a passive-aggressive blank stare when I tried to convince her to convince me that it was worth it. Silver it was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go to your local home supply store and buy some clear vinyl tubing of an appropriate diameter to be a tight fit over the bar. It would function the same as what AMessy did, but it's clear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerTi View Post
    Go to your local home supply store and buy some clear vinyl tubing of an appropriate diameter to be a tight fit over the bar. It would function the same as what AMessy did, but it's clear.
    I stumbled across this thread as I started researching 1Up roof racks. I had decided on a 1Up single hitch rack (still my preference) but it will come down to availability when my '15 GTI arrives at the end of the month as no one has a hitch for it yet...

If you look closely at the 1Up roof rack product page on their site, you will see clear silicon (or like) rings on the wheel bars. Wonder why they don't come with them anymore... One of the things that attracts me to 1Up is how well they are designed and the quality - this missing touch seems out of character.

mtbr member
    Had the same problem with mine. Don't close the arms all the way, leave them slightly above the tray. Worked for me; rattle is gone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well I found the best solution IMO: little rubber/vinyl bumpers, $1.99 at my local hardware store. I shaved a mm or so off with a knife and stuck them on with a dab of super glue (they also have normal adhesive backing); it's been six weeks now in dirty east coast weather ranging from 86F sunshine, tons of rain, and a couple mid-40F nights - the bumpers haven't moved once and not a single rattle.

I told 1UP and they liked it, but seemed to think it wouldn't work for certain climates. That could be right (I can't speak for hot hot weather), but this has worked perfectly for me so far.

1UP USA roof rack - fixing rattle/vibration?-img_20140902_185351.jpg

1UP USA roof rack - fixing rattle/vibration?-img_20140902_185507.jpg

1UP USA roof rack - fixing rattle/vibration?-img_20140902_185439.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like you could cut a black grip and slide it over the bar.