Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

1UP USA Hitch Rack

Just curious for those that have the 1UP hitch tray rack for a while (year plus maybe) on how well it holds up? Do you find you need to lubricate any parts, etc?

I've seen some youtube videos of them brand new and everything seems to move smoothly, but with all that contact I was thinking that eventually it may not work as well after being used and out in the elements?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've had one on my car for about 50k miles and no problems. The bushings are self-lubricating. I let some chain lube get on one of the joints and it allowed the nyloc nuts to loosen up, allowing the bolt to back out. So, don't do that.

mtbr member
    Mine looks as good as it did a year ago when I purchased it. Zero maintenance done to it other than wiping it down after a few rides during the season. Still smooth and quiet!!
    konahonzo

ballbuster

I've had mine for 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Just curious for those that have the 1UP hitch tray rack for a while (year plus maybe) on how well it holds up? Do you find you need to lubricate any parts, etc?

I've seen some youtube videos of them brand new and everything seems to move smoothly, but with all that contact I was thinking that eventually it may not work as well after being used and out in the elements?
    and the thing looks spot on brand new.

Joints are still snug, no rattles or anything. It's basically brand new and I put a bike on it several times a week.

That reminds me, I need to get that second tray!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering one up soon...much better than my trunk rack!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've had mine for about a month and love it. I've got the 1.25 inch model so I can go back and forth between our two autos, one with a 2inch receiver. I've attached pics of just the base model, and with one add-on. When folded, it fits snugly against the car depending on how far you push into the receiver. I can't say enough positive things about this rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1UP USA Hitch Rack-img_0307.jpg  

1UP USA Hitch Rack-img_0303.jpg  

1UP USA Hitch Rack-img_0299.jpg  

1UP USA Hitch Rack-img_0295.jpg  

1UP USA Hitch Rack-img_0273.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is it just me or do bikes on this rack lean away from the car? I assume this is by design as just about every photo I've seen looks like this.

Now I know that the bike will lean one way or the other to some degree...I was just curious if the trays were actually slanted.

mtbr member
    Mine sit perfectly straight, although the 3rd posted pics shows otherwise.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How is the weight of this rack? I am considering it but need to take the rack off the car after use and was curious if this was the lightest platform option

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr19146 View Post
    How is the weight of this rack? I am considering it but need to take the rack off the car after use and was curious if this was the lightest platform option

It weighs about 25lbs. I take the rack off the car after every use and it is super fast and easy. I like it so much more than the Thule T2 which it replaced. Taking that off after riding took 2 people, not to mention tons of space in the garage. The 1UP can be removed by one person and it can be folded up fairly small if you like.

ballbuster

Second that

Quote Originally Posted by don_o View Post
    It weighs about 25lbs. I take the rack off the car after every use and it is super fast and easy. I like it so much more than the Thule T2 which it replaced. Taking that off after riding took 2 people, not to mention tons of space in the garage. The 1UP can be removed by one person and it can be folded up fairly small if you like.
    The T2 is stupid heavy, and unnecessarily bulky. It does not fold down to save any space. I had to drop my rear seat to put it in my trunk, and with two kiddie rocket chairs, that was a major PITA.

Then again, adding a second tray to the 1Up makes it not far off of the T2 in weight... IIRC like 6 pounds lighter. At least it comes apart and still folds up.

The 1Up is the exact opposite. Clean, light, easy, simple and effective.

Now I just need to get that second tray.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks. I will need th second tray but it still sounds easier than the alternatives

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't forget it's made in the USA and if I had to guess it would be considered a small business...which I am all about buying from!!!
    Last edited by jbsmith; 01-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    A few friends have it and they work as good as the day they got it. I'm working on the wife to get the dual bike 2" version.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Don't forget it's made in the USA and if I had to guess it would be considered a small business...which I am all about buying from!!!
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Good job!

Mine is a year old and has about 20K miles on it and looks pretty much like new. A little TLC once in a while is all that is needed. It is like a little piece of origami the way it folds into a neat small package.
    And +2 on USA made
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Afric Pepperbird
    How about the squeaking/squealing when it gets wet, as was mentioned a few times in that other, really long thread on the 1up? Anyone have any squeakiness?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes, there's some squeakiness sometimes. Not an issue.

mtbr member
    Lube the rails with some white grease. Had mine for more than 2 years, still performs as it did the day I bought it. I do take it off the car when not in use for during the work week. As a high school teacher I really don't need my students or any other students playing with it. Besides, it's quick to take of and put on with the provided tool.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame round 2 and mods)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

ballbuster
    Yeah, maybe a little bit. But, I'd rather have the noise than grease on my pants when I brush up against it.

mtbr member
    Yup, sometimes mine squeaked after the rain when in use and I thought about greasing, but decided against it. Plus the noise now when it gets wet is gone anyway. Guess the bushings are finally broken in.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have had one for about 6 months and hate it. I used to have the excuse that it took too long and was too much work to put the bikes on the car. Now I don't have that excuse. Stupid rack mounts on the car in less than 30 seconds and the bikes are on in another 30 seconds. It's terrible I tell you.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I noticed on their website it said something about dents on the rail - which was normal. I assume this is due to the cam lock mechanism?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I hate to say it but the 1up would be a bargain at twice the price. Its an awesome design, silly quick to mount and load, theft proof (well, ok, theft resistant - some thieves are pretty freakin' smart). Don't waste your money on another rack, then buy a 1up. Just get the 1up to start with.
    Flat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I noticed on their website it said something about dents on the rail - which was normal. I assume this is due to the cam lock mechanism?
    Yes, but the "dents" are really minimal. I open the arms to the same spot each time (the rail is marked w/ sharpie) and there is just a small nick there. I think they mention it just to CYA from complaints from uptight owners.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast