mtbr member
    Aug 2012

1Up roof tray feedback?

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a new rack for mtb and road bikes for my 2012 Outback. I've read loads of positive reviews for the 1UP Hitch Mount, but for various reasons I may initially go with a roof mount for 2 bikes and possibly add a hitch mount later for 2 more. I've always has Thule fork mounts but am considering a full bike mount instead this time so as to avoid removing the wheel.

Any feedback or comments on how the 1up Roof Tray works?

Thanks
    derek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by capall View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a new rack for mtb and road bikes for my 2012 Outback. I've read loads of positive reviews for the 1UP Hitch Mount, but for various reasons I may initially go with a roof mount for 2 bikes and possibly add a hitch mount later for 2 more. I've always has Thule fork mounts but am considering a full bike mount instead this time so as to avoid removing the wheel.

Any feedback or comments on how the 1up Roof Tray works?

Thanks
    derek
    Did you see this thread?
    1up Quik Rack roof tray...who has one?

ballbuster
    The two (or three) on the roof with two on the hitch is a killer setup. I got three Thule trays on the roof and the 1Up. With a roof box, I can still fit two on the roof and one on the tail.... All from my little old A4 Avant mom-mobile.

mtbr member
    I've got one on my 2011 outback and it works great. Only issue is getting the bike up there as the roof is quite tall. It can be a bit tricky getting it off as you need a hand on the lever to release it.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    I've got one on my 2011 outback and it works great. Only issue is getting the bike up there as the roof is quite tall. It can be a bit tricky getting it off as you need a hand on the lever to release it.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    I found on my hitch 1Up rack that you can just release the front bracket all the way open, and the bike will still stay up okay. Then, change your grip and pull the rear wheel, and pull it out.

I can see what you mean, tho. With my Thule trays, I basically balance the bike up there until I can get the downtube grab claw in place, then strap the wheels down. This is a bit tricky, even on my not-tall Avant wagon. I know the Subie is a good step taller, and trying to grab those wheel brackets to shove them home might be a trick. Those are quite bit taller than where I have to reach for my Thule trays. Maybe keep a 3' long pole with a hook to grab the wheel bracket in the car? ... so you can get some leverage to pull the wheel brackets down nice and snug. Or, maybe keep one of those lightweight kitchen step stools in the car.