Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

1up Quik Rack roof tray...who has one?

I searched a review for this but there weren't that many, most are for the Hitch rack. Im looking at getting one and want to know what are your thoughts about it? The hitch ones has awesome reviews. how good is the roof one? Pros vs Cons. any pictures are apreciated too. Also on a side note for the canadians that have one, I know the shipping cost but how much were the Duties or/and brokerage fees?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's discussed and documented pretty thoroughly in the larger 1up thread as well as in it's own. Start looking there.

mtbr member
    love mine, had a thule side arm set and the one up set up is much easier, and wont rust.i will never look back to thule or others. i'm in canada and shipping was cheap, and thankfully came to me with no extra charges. don't know if that was a fluke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quik Rack roof tray...who has one?-one-up.jpg  

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RL-77 View Post
    I searched a review for this but there weren't that many, most are for the Hitch rack. Im looking at getting one and want to know what are your thoughts about it? The hitch ones has awesome reviews. how good is the roof one? Pros vs Cons. any pictures are apreciated too. Also on a side note for the canadians that have one, I know the shipping cost but how much were the Duties or/and brokerage fees?
    I probably have the original one. I sort of got the sense that I talked them into it about three years ago. I got them to make me a non hinged tray for the hitch rack that was milled out to mount on bars as well. It works fine.

I leave mine on hitch rack so I don't unbolt it all the time and have some Thule fork mounts on top of the car (super aero Echelons) but am contemplating the 1UpUSAs for the top.

They are the best of the rooftops where you leave your wheels on. I'd say go for it.

J.

mtbr member
    Cool! I got a couple of Yakima highroller roof racks used last year, but if I was going to pay full retail, I would get the 1 up USA ones instead. I saw the hitch version in person the other day and have no doubt that the roof rack version would hold much more solidly than the Yakima rack and works be easier and faster to use. The Yakima rack holds fine, but has inherent wobble in it and used to make me nervous. It is also hard to put the arm down while stabilizing the bike, while the 1 up rack would be easier to manage. Unlike their hitch rack, the roof rack is actually comparably priced to the Yak roof rack.
    Go for it!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A note on the Highrollers -

I have one and had another one until I ran it into the garage. The bike got peeled off and the rack arms were collapsed downwards which damaged the ratchet that locks the front wheel to the rack. Now, I don't expect to have the Highroller survive that but the problem was that while the rack looked ok, it wasn't. The ratchet had some holding power and would appear to hold but then would suddenly release. There is no way to inspect the ratchet and it can't be replaced. They are good racks, but you need to evaluate the ratchet periodically to see if it's doing it's thing correctly.

In general, I think it's good to have all moving parts of the rack be open for inspection.

J.

mtbr member
    Best of both companies, I have the Thule Double Arm rack... Works with or without removing the front wheel depending on the bike.

(just kidding)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Did you combine the 1up and the thule? I googled search this and i didn't find anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a1m80t View Post
    Did you combine the 1up and the thule? I googled search this and i didn't find anything.
    See his "just kidding" remark under the photo? I'm pretty sure the photo is just an optical illusion - he has the 1up rack inboard of the Thule rack. You only see the Thule tray and the 1up rack is behind it out of view, except for at the ends...The combo doesn't exist...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a1m80t View Post
    photo trickery at work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ahh I see it now. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    resurrecting an old thread...sorry...I just got one of these and I'm curious how people are getting along with theirs? Two main questions:

1) Has anyone used the wheel lock and do you find it helpful?

2) Security - do you keep the rack on at all times and do you lock it on there with anything?

Took it on a long (2 hours) trip over highways and byways this weekend and it peformed flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post
    resurrecting an old thread...sorry...I just got one of these and I'm curious how people are getting along with theirs? Two main questions:

1) Has anyone used the wheel lock and do you find it helpful?

2) Security - do you keep the rack on at all times and do you lock it on there with anything?

Took it on a long (2 hours) trip over highways and byways this weekend and it peformed flawlessly.
    I use a U-lock and cable only if I'm gone for 5 or 10 minutes and I'm parked where it's in full view of other people. Otherwise I would not trust using any kind of lock if I'm gone for a length of time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've got one on my Outback. If you're even thinking about a roof rack, look no further.
    Very easy mechanism to use, lays down super flat when not in use. Handles all 3 of my bikes with ease and no adjustment! (26" HT, 650b FS, 29" Rigid)

I know their site only has the silver, but you can give them a call 608-348-7261 and order one in anodized black(+$50). It's stealthy on my black scooby!

As for security, I rarely leave the car unattended with the bike on there. But when I hit a store, I keep a cable lock in the car to throw on there.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I probably have the original one. I sort of got the sense that I talked them into it about three years ago. I got them to make me a non hinged tray for the hitch rack that was milled out to mount on bars as well. It works fine.

I leave mine on hitch rack so I don't unbolt it all the time and have some Thule fork mounts on top of the car (super aero Echelons) but am contemplating the 1UpUSAs for the top.

They are the best of the rooftops where you leave your wheels on. I'd say go for it.

J.

Is it not possible to get a roof rack/tow hitch combo anymore? That was the biggest reason I was interested in buying the 1up.

ALso did they change from allowing 4 bikes on the small tow hitch rack to only allowing that on the "Heavy Duty" version? My 4 bike load would be around 90lbs or less depending on which bikes I bring. It doesn't look like theres any reason you couldn't put an unlimited number of addons on is there?

mtbr member

Re: 1up Quik Rack roof tray...who has one?

Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Is it not possible to get a roof rack/tow hitch combo anymore? That was the biggest reason I was interested in buying the 1up.

ALso did they change from allowing 4 bikes on the small tow hitch rack to only allowing that on the "Heavy Duty" version? My 4 bike load would be around 90lbs or less depending on which bikes I bring. It doesn't look like theres any reason you couldn't put an unlimited number of addons on is there?
    I had asked if they could make a 1-tray hitch rack with a 2" hitch so that I could then have the option of adding 3 consecutive add-ons. They said no because they worry about the stress on the bolts holding the first add-on getting to be too much by the time there are 2 more trays hanging off of that one. So 2 add-ons max.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    THat's how the original ones were built (which is what I have). It can fit in either a 1.25" or a 2" hitch. I've carried 4 mtbs on a total of 10-15K miles back and forth to Colorado with no problems.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post

I don't believe it is. It would not be a big mod if you bought the roof racks and just drilled the holes yourself, I would think.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I had asked if they could make a 1-tray hitch rack with a 2" hitch so that I could then have the option of adding 3 consecutive add-ons. They said no because they worry about the stress on the bolts holding the first add-on getting to be too much by the time there are 2 more trays hanging off of that one. So 2 add-ons max.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Actually the explanation I got was that it's about the hitch capacity of a 1.25" hitch and what you could conceivably load it up with. Actually, because of the way the additional kits work, you could add as many as you wanted to ....

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

1up Quik Rack roof tray...who has one?

I heard back from them today. It is possible and available now. Buy the roof rack and $99 more gets you the base to install it as an addon to the hitch rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SasquatchSC View Post
    I've got one on my Outback. If you're even thinking about a roof rack, look no further.
    Very easy mechanism to use, lays down super flat when not in use. Handles all 3 of my bikes with ease and no adjustment! (26" HT, 650b FS, 29" Rigid)

I know their site only has the silver, but you can give them a call 608-348-7261 and order one in anodized black(+$50). It's stealthy on my black scooby!

As for security, I rarely leave the car unattended with the bike on there. But when I hit a store, I keep a cable lock in the car to throw on there.
    What year Outback do you have? I have a new one and would love to see pics of how this fits on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Got a monkey on the roof!

Sorry, I couldn't get a full on side shot, the sun was setting back there.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Awesome! I have a '13 Limited as well. Do you have any close ups of the rack on the rack? lol

Thanks a million.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Right on! I really appreciate you grabbing those pics just like that.
    I m on the fence over this rack. I have their hitch setup already and just want a 3rd Bike on the roof. I have a RockyMounts TieRod which is awesome for what it is, but it's also a pia to have to remove and install the wheel. Would you say this is worth the $100 price jump?
    Last edited by Subyroo651; 06-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast