Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

938K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#2,553 ·
Is there a hole/void in your receiver where the ball could meet no resistance when tightening the bolt?

Tightening the bolt with nothing to push against is the only way I can see that happening. Remember, the one up is aluminum and that bolt can seriously leverage the ball against the inside of the hitch. If there isn't a receiver for the ball to stop against it can deform the socket of the aluminum it's inside of.

#2,533 ·
I recently picked up a used black super duty rack plus add on. I just installed my hitch yesterday and then put the rack on. I am impressed with how easy it installs on the hitch receiver. There is some significant resistance when tilting the rack up or down (folding it). I see there is the adjustment that can lock it so it doesn't tilt. But I have it completely loosened and still have a fairly hard time tilting it when pulling up the black bar. Can anyone else comment if theirs is easy or hard to tilt? From watching videos, it seems like it shouldn't have much resistance? Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim

#2,538 ·
I recently picked up a used black super duty rack plus add on. I just installed my hitch yesterday and then put the rack on. I am impressed with how easy it installs on the hitch receiver. There is some significant resistance when tilting the rack up or down (folding it). I see there is the adjustment that can lock it so it doesn't tilt. But I have it completely loosened and still have a fairly hard time tilting it when pulling up the black bar. Can anyone else comment if theirs is easy or hard to tilt? From watching videos, it seems like it shouldn't have much resistance? View attachment 981955
The only problem I ever have is that the bar you pull to let the rack tilt binds a little sometimes and doesn't retract all the way. Once I've made sure it has fully released, the rack tilts without difficulty.

#2,536 ·
Sweet!

Turns out that 1up has never seen a bulge around the ball of their rack. . . guess I'm lucky!

They are sending me a new hitch post, and I'll send them mine back.

I still want to know what caused it, whether it has to do with my truck or cars receiver, the dirt roads I was driving or something screwy with the manufacturing of the hitch post.

#2,539 ·
Sweet!

Turns out that 1up has never seen a bulge around the ball of their rack. . . guess I'm lucky!

They are sending me a new hitch post, and I'll send them mine back.

I still want to know what caused it, whether it has to do with my truck or cars receiver, the dirt roads I was driving or something screwy with the manufacturing of the hitch post.
-----------
unrooted: Seems to me the only thing that would cause a bulge around the ball like that would be if your receiver is a little larger Inside than a normal receiver, thus forcing the ball to extend further out than normal to lock it into place and bulging the post.
-----------
Also: a heads up to other owners. I'd recommend removing the Safety Allen Bolts that come with the rack for 'an add on rack' if you are not using them. I went to remove mine today and they are seized. I should have removed them when new (2 years ago) or at least removed them and applied Anti-Seize.

#2,543 ·
New season, new car. Old rack, old bikes. Still the same amount of stoke for my trusty 1up rack.

And I've noticed that with the Curt hitch on the Passat, there is a ton less sway vertically when the roads get bumpy. I no longer use a stabilizing strap like I did previously on my WRX wagon with a Curt hitch. The Passat hitch design looks much beefier.

#2,545 ·
Newbie here ... !
I think this is the rack for me. Money not an object, functionality and strength is what matters:

I need a hitch mount rack that will hold 4 bikes for long family trips. 2 electric fat bikes (60lbs each, can remove battery and will be 52 lbs each) and 2 "normal" full suspension mtn. bikes. So far, I think this is the only rack that will hold the weight. Kuat says they can't handle it. Anyone hauling an electric fat bike or even something similiar to my situation?

#2,546 ·
I believe the super duty is rated for 75lbs bikes. (Not sure if the addon rating is the same) this paired with the fat bike kit and you should be good to go!!

You won't have any regrets!!

edit.... I just looked it up. It appears the rack is rated for 4 bikes 50 lbs or less. So I'm guessing a max of 200lbs. I would shoot them an email and ask them the same question. But I would go for it, u should be good!!

#2,549 ·
Hi Guys! New here, and just got my 1up 2 bike rack with 1 add on. I posted this on another thread but was hoping to get a quick answer!

I was playing around with it tonight and noticed that it was a little akward getting multiple bikes on it that were the same size due to how close the trays were together. I found the handlebars hitting each other, or if in opposite directions, hitting the seat of the other bike.

Is there a trick to getting them on without them hitting eachother? Maybe have one bike slid all the way to one side, while the other is slid all the way to the other? With my 29ers it didn't look like there was a lot of room to go one way or another? Maybe it's a slight learning curve with use, but thought I would ask here and let some experts chime in! Love how good the rack looks and the machining is fantastic. All the moving parts are flawless and super simple to use. I beleive I will love it, but want to figure out the best way to fit multiple large bikes on it.

I figured I could drop a seat to make it fit under the bars, but didn't want to mess with that every time I used it. Hope to get some help!

#2,551 ·
Hi Guys! New here, and just got my 1up 2 bike rack with 1 add on. I posted this on another thread but was hoping to get a quick answer!

I was playing around with it tonight and noticed that it was a little akward getting multiple bikes on it that were the same size due to how close the trays were together. I found the handlebars hitting each other, or if in opposite directions, hitting the seat of the other bike.

Is there a trick to getting them on without them hitting eachother? Maybe have one bike slid all the way to one side, while the other is slid all the way to the other? With my 29ers it didn't look like there was a lot of room to go one way or another? Maybe it's a slight learning curve with use, but thought I would ask here and let some experts chime in! Love how good the rack looks and the machining is fantastic. All the moving parts are flawless and super simple to use. I beleive I will love it, but want to figure out the best way to fit multiple large bikes on it.

I figured I could drop a seat to make it fit under the bars, but didn't want to mess with that every time I used it. Hope to get some help!
Dropper posts. It seems all my riding buddies have them now , so it's not an issue anymore. Back when there weren't dropper posts, we would loosen the clamps and drop the saddles, or remove the seat post/saddle altogether.

Trying to alternate the position of the bikes might work, but it depends how much time and effort is spent I suppose. One way is going to be faster than the other.

#2,550 ·
Carlbren21.... I often carry three bikes. You're right that it's super easy with 27.5 or 26. However, I think you'll find that even the 29ers (as I have) can roll forward or back on the tray just enough to avoid contact with each other. Every once in a while, you might have to adjust the seat height. But, that is the exception, made easier of course with comand posts. What you'll find is that there is more room than you think to roll the bikes and when you start to trust that the bikes wont fall off, things will get easier. I've logged a ton of miles driving all over the Southwest and have never had an 'incident'. I still am in awe of this rack! Take care.

#2,558 ·
One more thing. To unload, I find it easiest to just open the front side far. The rear will hold the bike in place. Slide/roll the bike forward a bit then lift away. If I'm not in a busy area, I leave the rear one set so I can quickly through the bike in the same spot after the ride.

#2,562 ·
What are people's thoughts on the following "security" system. One of the Kryptonite 7' security cable looping through the bike and through a U-lock located at the hitch (securing the rack to the hitch).

From what I understand, these security cables are easily defeated. But I am uneasy about putting a "bike chain" on my bike...even with their protective sheaf. 99% of the time I won't be leaving my bike alone. Just want something to protect the bike if I stop at a rest-stop for a few minutes.

#2,564 ·
I think it's situational. A few minutes on a rural interstate? No problem. Stopping for coffee and parking your car around the corner in Chicago? No way.

When we have bikes on the car and if we stop, we make sure we can see them from where we are. Or we make sure someone stays with the bikes for those few minutes.

Most cables can be snipped in 5 seconds with a smallish bolt cutter.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

J.

#2,569 ·
Well after having my bike ripped off the roof twice by cable lines I finally caved to peer pressure on this forum and bought a 1up.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the thread to do that but paranoia got the best of me and I didn't just want to rely on a velcro strap as my just in case safety device. I originally planned to put lock on the rack but the one I bought was too long and the one I had laying around was too short so here we go. Kind of like it this way better anyway. Not really worried about somebody steeling it and popping the carabiner on and off to check the bolt is easier than dealing with the lock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.