Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

938K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#2,574 ·
I'm thinking about getting the heavy-duty 2-bike rack with two add-ons. My question is my wife and I have three kids: right now I can throw the littlest one's bike in the back of the Jeep, but in the future I'm wondering if I could add an additional single rack to make it a 5-bike carrier. I know the manufacturer says it's for four bikes only, but it also rates the rack for very heavy bikes -- 75 lbs. each if I remember correctly. Has anyone turned this into a 5-bike platform or does anyone have an opinion on the advisability of that? Thanks.

#2,575 ·
I have not used it as a 5 bike carrier but if I recall correctly, I believe someone posted that the company stated that it is the bolts by which the extra trays are attached to the 2 bike base that are the weak point, which wouldn't change between the standard and HD 2-bike bases.

#2,578 ·
Loving my rack, but noted that some of the screws holding down the trays are loose. I grabbed my allen wrenches, but wtf did they use English fasteners for this rack? Every biker has METRIC wrenches in their tool kit...none of them required ENGLISH!!

That was a really dumb move imho.

#2,579 ·
Loving my rack, but noted that some of the screws holding down the trays are loose. I grabbed my allen wrenches, but wtf did they use English fasteners for this rack? Every biker has METRIC wrenches in their tool kit...none of them required ENGLISH!!

That was a really dumb move imho.
Makes it more difficult for people to mess with it I guess.

#2,580 ·
I note that the 1up website now says:

"NOTICE! 1up USA.com LLC is no longer replacing stolen racks due to the steep increase in theft. We recommend using a short cable lock or U-lock to secure your investment to your vehicle’s receiver. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause."

I've read through all ~2600 messages in this massive thread, but haven't heard about anyone having their rack stolen. I guess many of us have the rack locked to our hitches as a deterrent, but I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a rack being stolen?

#2,586 ·
I own the 1.25 model and have purchased two add-on's. I purchased the 2 inch/ 2 bike model for my wife's car so we can carry four bikes. (I've seen four bikes on a 1.25 model, but didn't want to risk it since they no longer advertise that feature). Anyways, getting ready for my trip and finally unboxed the rack. I noticed the two bolts that allow you to mount the add on's are missing. Maybe they only put these on when you buy an add on at the same time? I can transfer them from my other rack, but I was wondering if this was an assembly mistake or the norm. Left them an email, but think they're closed on the weekends.

#2,590 ·
The whole we have a special tool so the rack cant be stolen was so incredibly stupid to begin with.

They should have just enabled standard hitch locks to be used. Standard hole for a hitch pin with a lock at the end.

They could still use their system to tighten it in the hitch to keep it from wobbling.

#2,593 ·
how tight does the locking ball need to be? do i need to get a breaker bar to get even more torque on it? i pretty much used all of my bodyweight on it and there seems to still be a lil play in the hitch.
Just hand tight with the hex wrench should be plenty...

Is the receiver out of square or dirty/rusty?

#2,599 ·
My reciever is clean, and doesn't have thick paint, what else can I do? I was considering placing a thin layer of material between the hitch bar and the 1.25" to 2" adapter to take up a space, but other than that I don't know what else may work.

The 2" receiver came new with my 2013 Tacoma.

#2,601 ·
There's got to be something wrong with that receiver. You could replace it, I suppose. You've already proven it's not the rack that is causing the problem because the problem is there with the new rack as well.

You could also just take a pad of some material - maybe even like leather - and place it over the ball in the corner of the receiver. I'd bet that would solve the problem. You'd crush it into place in the corner of the receiver and it would have to increase the friction and fill any open space remaining.

Either that or just use the U lock method that some have used to lock their racks to the car.

J.

#2,603 ·
I just went out and measured my trucks hitch and one on a nearby chevy, they both measured at 2 1/16".

Also of note is that useport80 is driving a toyota. . .
I don't think he's claiming that it loosens only that there is some play (maybe he could clarify). One would expect that there is play because the ball only ties it down in one spot and if the receiver ID is bigger than the rack's neck OD then there would be that play and it would be normal.

I haven't checked my rack, but I just did some work on the boats with our 2" receiver ball mount and it's not a tight fit in the receiver as one would expect. Trailer hitches and receivers are not precision things....

J.

#2,605 ·
I can try to mark the bolt.

I already know that the hitch bar is coming loose because I now have one of those stops that go around the hitch bar, but I don't put my rack all the way up against the hitch stop (because it's a 1.25 rack with the 2" converter on it and) because if I do then my handlebar hits the back of my truck, after I drive a ways it loosens up and moves forward into the hitch stop. i use the Velcro strap, which is plenty strong enough to keep the rack on the truck.

I took a picture of the inside of the receiver and there are several indentations from the ball, so maybe my receiver is just made of too soft of steel, not sure if there's a fix for that, except a new hitch receiver. . . sucks.

#2,606 ·
I can try to mark the bolt.

I already know that the hitch bar is coming loose because I now have one of those stops that go around the hitch bar, but I don't put my rack all the way up against the hitch stop (because it's a 1.25 rack with the 2" converter on it and) because if I do then my handlebar hits the back of my truck, after I drive a ways it loosens up and moves forward into the hitch stop. i use the Velcro strap, which is plenty strong enough to keep the rack on the truck.

I took a picture of the inside of the receiver and there are several indentations from the ball, so maybe my receiver is just made of too soft of steel, not sure if there's a fix for that, except a new hitch receiver. . . sucks.
What about a liner or sleave to distribute the pressure of the bolt along a wider area on the receiver? Maybe even just a thin metal plate slipped in along the top of the bike rack hitch will be enough. There is usually some space/play there, so I'm sure you could fit it. I just don't know if it would be stiff enough to actually help, but it would be worth trying.

#2,612 ·
yeah im using a toyota 4runner's stock 2" hitch.

there is rust on the outside, so i bet there's got to be rust on the inside. any idea what i can use to clean it?

when i say play, there's like 1/8" of play up/down and side/side. im just nitpicking but i figured most would be ok with it. the lever that tilts the rack is difficult to depress, but thats probably cuz it's pretty new.

#2,613 ·
Spray the inside of the receiver with WD-40, It'll help with rust.

Play in the receiver tube is soley the hitch makers responsibility. I had play in my previous 4Runner Toyota receiver, but my VW Touareg receiver is nearly spot on, almost to tight to insert the 1up rack. One spin of the securing bolt and it's tight, with no play whatsoever.

#2,616 ·
The slider on one of the arms is slipping and is loosening the arm and I don't know how to fix it. The other side didn't move a bit but the one side would slide about half and inch. Just enough to loosen up the bike but not enough to allow the bike to fall out. I have the earlier version where the slide is smooth (no teeth). Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.