Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

938K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#2,053 · (Edited)
Detailed Pics

To all: I just received my rack. I wanted to share with you a "mini" un-boxing with pics. It took one week from the day I ordered to the day it arrived. Please see below.

Now the damaged.

This is nothing I am worried about because it might as well be wear and tear. I will re-post after first use which will be a 6.4 hour trip to MD! Let's hope this sucker works.

#2,054 ·
I was up in the air between 1Up's rack and the Kuat Sherpa. While I'm sure I would have been more than satisfied with either decision, this thread sealed the deal for me.

I just received my quick rack in the mail today and photos really don't do this thing justice. Coming from a machinist's (aerospace industry) perspective, the craftsmanship and ingenuity is really above and beyond the rack's intended task (...and yes, that is a compliment.)

#2,056 ·
Have the arm folded down (closed) and without lifting the latch, pull up hard on the arm. Let go and repeat a few times. That resets the latch mechanism. See if that fixes your sticking problem. (Been described by others in the thread and worked for many people)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

#2,059 ·
I just got mine last week and I love it! I had a few questions. How tight do you guys clamp down on the tires? I've been clamping them down pretty tight, I don't think I could get the arms much tighter. Also, I've read some movement is normal I just don't know if what I'm seeing is normal or excessive. When I'm looking at the bike in the rear-view mirror it seems to want to "twist" up and down, especially the tires if that makes sense. Is this normal? I have scraped it coming out of my driveway a few times which kind of sucks but I think I have that figured out as well.

#2,061 ·
With the way the tires sit in the tray, a little bit of turning back and forth at the headtube is normal.

I push the arms down with moderate force, just to where they stop when they contact the tires, and then one more click in. I usually hold/support the frame of the bike for the last click, so all the torque isn't being delivered to the hitch insert. Have the spindle wedged up against the tread knob of the tire.

I don't think you really need to 'crank' them down, but you're fine either way. The bike isn't going anywhere.

As for a lock, I use a 5" Kryptonite U-lock that I run through the side hitch loop and around the main body of the 1Up - the section that houses the security/hex key bolt. I use a 15 foot steel braided vinyl coated cable with loop ends, running it around the rack arms through the wheels and frame, and putting the loops around the U-lock arms. Routing it that way, the 15 foot cable is only a little too much for one bike, and perfect for two.

A U-lock through the wheels, around the tray or arms is better from a security standpoint. These are great as well: 1UPUSA.com :: Wheel Lock

I've scraped the U-lock backing down the driveway, but never the actual rack. Perhaps just because the U-lock hanging down got in the way. :) You said you already have that figured out, but I just have to take it very slow and angle out.

#2,062 ·
OK, it looks like I have a worst case scenario - Wrangler JK Rubicon, stock hitch, two DH bikes (45 lb each).

I really like the looks of the heavy duty 1Up, but I think I would have to run a hitch extender, which causes a lot of slop and negates the theft resistant part of the 1Up.

I've been hunting around for a solution. Jeep forums suggest a new hitch with a built in extension for $400, which would make the whole deal over $1K. Sorry, ain't happening.

I guess I am just going to have to accept the Thule T2 with extender option unless someone has a different solution. If I'm going to have to use an extender, I might as well spend $400+$30 for the extender and accept the wobble.

Or am I missing something and 1up offers an extra long 2" hitch bar to clear a Wangler spare? I can't believe with (most) Jeep owner's not flinching at spending big bucks on their rigs and literally millions of them on the road (plus other SUV's with rear mounted spares and clearance issues) that no manufacturer has managed to come up with a rack for a vehicle with a rear mounted spare.

Before anyone chimes in with the "mount it on the spare tire" suggestion, two 45 lb bikes on a stock Wrangler spare mount will pretty much rip the mount off the vehicle if you go on even a mildly bumpy road.

#2,063 ·
#2,065 ·
A T2 rack + extender = 2 area of slop = extreme slop. 1 Up USA + extender = 1 area of slop, therefore is better. :D

Get a locking hitch pin for the extender and leave it on full time. Then you can take the 1 Up rack on and off at will with the security wrench.
Some day you may end up with something else besides the Wrangler, at which point you'll really wish you had gone with the 1 Up rack.

Regarding the extender and slop: I've never used an extender, so I don't know if it is possible, but if you can indeed leave it in full time, I wonder whether you could put a little duct tape or something else around the extender to create greater contrast and reduce slop. It would make it a pain to put on and off, but if it was a one-time affair and left on long-term, it would be worth it.

#2,074 ·
That rack looks cool, but I'm wondering if the rig would fit into the standard garage door? It looks doubtful. If it won't fit into the garage, then it has the same major drawback as a roof rack - I killed a bike once with a roof rack, and as stupid as you feel when you do that, you know it happens every single day. I would space out and either try a parking garage or my own garage - guaranteed.

#2,076 ·
I was in the same boat regarding the spare tire... I did find thru bolt options that both lock the hitch extender and eliminate wobble thru the bolt system with lock on the end. I think etrailer had them. I also discovered that w/ rack down, there was no interference at stock, but I could not fold the 1-up up at 90 degrees. so if you leave rack down all the time on the jeep - you might be ok.

Dear 1-up if you are reading this... please add an option to purchase LONGER 2" hitch bars - while you would not sell tons - I would have payed extra and I bet Honkinunit would too for an extra 6" of 2" hitch. :)

#2,077 ·
Dear 1-up if you are reading this... please add an option to purchase LONGER 2" hitch bars - while you would not sell tons - I would have payed extra and I bet Honkinunit would too for an extra 6" of 2" hitch. :)
I don't know how much they follow this thread, but they gave always been very responsive to me both via email and phone calls. I would contact them with that suggestion. That way if it is not possible on their end, they'll tell you why. If it is possible, maybe you'll get them to do it. The great thing about them being a smaller U.S. company is that there is a chance that your suggestion will actually be heard and implemented. :thumbup:

#2,080 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

I too am very happy with the new rack. Working with 1up was a pleasure and I love the new functionality of the 1, 2 or 3 racks. I got the 2" receiver version -

But - caution - powder coat is not as bomb proof as I would have loved - I already chipped it from a) gently setting a bike with studs in rack - not even transporting it and b) cutting the edge of a sticker I put on the rack with a blade. Otherwise - A+++

#2,081 ·
View attachment 872282
I too am very happy with the new rack. Working with 1up was a pleasure and I love the new functionality of the 1, 2 or 3 racks. I got the 2" receiver version -

But - caution - powder coat is not as bomb proof as I would have loved - I already chipped it from a) gently setting a bike with studs in rack - not even transporting it and b) cutting the edge of a sticker I put on the rack with a blade. Otherwise - A+++
Looks great in black with that tennis yellow Bronson! I got the same exact bike minus the added graphics. Where did you find a 2" receiver for your Subaru? I got a VW Jetta n would prefer a 2".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,083 ·
Any issues with 27.5? I know it's meant to adjust to most wheel sizes, BUT I had an Inno Tire Hold rack, similar mechanism, that I loved, but it did NOT hold my new 27.5 very well. I felt like it held the tires too low, and that the entire bike could just pop up and out of it. 26 and 29 were fine, though, because they had specific settings.

I've searched through this thread, but didn't find any mention of success/failure with 27.5". Anyone? Thanks.

#2,085 ·
Any issues with 27.5? I know it's meant to adjust to most wheel sizes, BUT I had an Inno Tire Hold rack, similar mechanism, that I loved, but it did NOT hold my new 27.5 very well. I felt like it held the tires too low, and that the entire bike could just pop up and out of it. 26 and 29 were fine, though, because they had specific settings.

I've searched through this thread, but didn't find any mention of success/failure with 27.5". Anyone? Thanks.
I don't have a 27.5" but I would imagine it wouldn't be a problem. You can adjust where the arm engages the tire. I believe the 1UP's work with 16" bikes so a 27.5" shouldn't be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.