Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

938K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#2,000 ·
Request for feedback on whether the rack ever hits the ground (angle of departure) in rugged terrain. I have done the White Rim trail in Canyonlands N.P. a few times with a roof rack and saw some of the rear racks dragging on the ground. I imagine this might not be an issue with only one, maybe two, but it seems like more than that would likely have the rack dragging when ascending from gullies, etc. Any observations?

#2,003 ·
One of the really cool things about this rack is that each additional add-on slants up further compared to the previous one. So the more you add on, the farther away from the ground each extra tray ends up at. So you will get a much better departure angle with this rack than with any other rack on the market - all of the other racks I've seen just extend straight out.

You can see a decent picture of that in post #1045 by J_Westy. There is a link in that post to more of his photos in a Jeep forum and one of those extra picture really shows the additional rise built into the add-ons really well - check it out. He posted those extra pics somewhere in this thread also, but at least I found the initial post for you.

#2,002 ·
The hitch is on a Toyota Tacoma, so it's fairly high, but still a concern in rugged terrain. The inquiry is for carrying bikes, not folded up. Thanks.

No firsthand experience, but obviously the height of the hitch is critical. Are you wondering about the rack in use carrying an unridden bike (in which case the number of trays is a variable)? If the rack is folded up, it's pretty close to the bumper. If it helps, here's mine on a stock Trooper compared to my buddy's NSR-4.

View attachment 846254

#2,005 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I called the company today and they said the same, and that they know of nobody that has had a problem dragging the deployed rack (even with 4 bikes) with a 4 by 4 truck. I'm not sure this is conclusive, as I'm sure I've been over routes (and not wild jeep stuff) in the Moab area where rack might drag. That said, it would be minimal and rare, so I'm likely to buy the two bike rear rack soon. Thanks again.

#2,009 ·
1UPUSA Quick Rack

Automotive bicycle rack Tire Wheel Car Vehicle
Bumper Electronic instrument Automotive exterior Vehicle Audio equipment

OK folks, no one has ever mentioned that I could find of developing an issue with this rack. I bought mine maybe 4-5 years ago and it has always been exactly what I expected it to be. A quick install, load, unload and ride bike rack. Recently I did develop an issue though where I no longer could depend on the rack to not loosen while I was driving to the trail. I finally started using a cargo strap to hold the bars from slipping until I contacted 1UP through an email. They asked for pics, I took and sent them what I felt was the issue. Today I received replacement parts to make the repair that took me about 10 minutes to do. Appears to have solved the issue but I won't know for sure until I ride this weekend.

If you were an early purchaser as I was, I would advise you watch for this issue as it might possibly develop. The repair consisted of replacing the stainless steel slider bars (the only part of the rack that is not aluminum) with machined aluminum slider bars that actually have tiny teeth along the rail. I hope putting the teeth down was the right decision, I tried up and it would not hold. I was also provided two bolts with bushings to replace the end pivot points.

You might ask what I paid. 10 minutes of my time and nothing else. I still believe this bike rack is the best on the market and that this company stands behind their product 100%. The only reason I am posting this is to inform folks that have this rack that there could be an issue and if they are in the position I am and depend on the rack to hold their expensive bike then they should know about it.

Enjoy the ride!!!

#2,011 ·
OK folks, no one has ever mentioned that I could find of developing an issue with this rack. I bought mine maybe 4-5 years ago and it has always been exactly what I expected it to be. A quick install, load, unload and ride bike rack. Recently I did develop an issue though where I no longer could depend on the rack to not loosen while I was driving to the trail. I finally started using a cargo strap to hold the bars from slipping until I contacted 1UP through an email. They asked for pics, I took and sent them what I felt was the issue. Today I received replacement parts to make the repair that took me about 10 minutes to do. Appears to have solved the issue but I won't know for sure until I ride this weekend.

If you were an early purchaser as I was, I would advise you watch for this issue as it might possibly develop. The repair consisted of replacing the stainless steel slider bars (the only part of the rack that is not aluminum) with machined aluminum slider bars that actually have tiny teeth along the rail. I hope putting the teeth down was the right decision, I tried up and it would not hold. I was also provided two bolts with bushings to replace the end pivot points.

You might ask what I paid. 10 minutes of my time and nothing else. I still believe this bike rack is the best on the market and that this company stands behind their product 100%. The only reason I am posting this is to inform folks that have this rack that there could be an issue and if they are in the position I am and depend on the rack to hold their expensive bike then they should know about it.

Enjoy the ride!!!
Someone mentioned that they were coming this way earlier this year: 1up Quick Rack Quick Review. - Page 65

I've noticed that if I let the locking mechanism get dirty, it doesn't lock very well. A thorough cleaning and a few drops of lube on the pivots (not the locking bar, obvi) and I'm good to go. About 90k miles and still going strong.

#2,024 ·
I am interested in this rack. I live in an urban area so I want something that is tight (and preferably a bit higher) against the trunk on my ford escape. I would only be using the single tray. Judging by some of the pictures in the thread it seems like the rack keeps it in nice and close.

Is the system of securing the bike to the tray as secure as a arm system on the thule t2 or kuat? obviously the people who designed the rack are way smarter than me...but to the average joe, it doesn't look like the bike is on there as tight.

any feedback would be much appreciated

#2,026 ·
I leave my rack on the SUV full time. It sits so close to the bumper folded, you parallel park like normal. You may consider getting a 2 tray setup as your base setup since it sits just as close to the car when folded. Non-issue - which is awesome.

The bikes are just as secure from a "potential to lose them" perspective, but I think they may wiggle more than the thule/kuat systems. This, ultimately is a non issue too - there is no way you'll lose a bike unless the rack breaks (which I presume is the same for the other racks). I have 100% confidence in this system and love it: I use my rack typically every other day all year and have taken numerous trips with 1-4 bikes up to 14 hour road trips.

#2,032 ·
I tried to read the whole thread but there are too many pages, so sorry if this has already been asked.

I would like to get the 2 bike version since 90% of the time I carry 2 bikes, my gf's and mine.
And who knows, maybe someday I might have to get an add-on for a third bike, if you know what I mean. :p

Is the locking system secure enough or is it better to make a hole and put a pin?
It looks a bit scary to me, I don't want to lose the bikes and bike rack on the road.

Are the arms that secure the wheels strong enough, do they bend?

#2,034 ·
I tried to read the whole thread but there are too many pages, so sorry if this has already been asked.

I would like to get the 2 bike version since 90% of the time I carry 2 bikes, my gf's and mine.
And who knows, maybe someday I might have to get an add-on for a third bike, if you know what I mean. :p

Is the locking system secure enough or is it better to make a hole and put a pin?
It looks a bit scary to me, I don't want to lose the bikes and bike rack on the road.

Are the arms that secure the wheels strong enough, do they bend?
Don't drill a hole you will ruin the rack.
The rack will hold your bike just fine. I have taken my rack on over 3000 miles of rough dirt roads with 3 heavy bikes and the rack has never let me down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.