Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

938K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#3,799 ·
After 8 years with a Super Duty Double, I ordered a new 1-1/4 single tray so I would not have to keep switching from vehicle to vehicle (first world problems, right?) .

1-Up is still great. Period. The lightweight, low-profile single is awesome for everyday use.

If you are reading this because you are considering a rack >> my vote is (still) 1-Up.

#3,800 ·
after watching the vid, that is nor more or less than I experience with Super Duty Double on my RAV 4, (3 years old rack; 2" Reese aftermarket hitch installed at my local mechanic; Surly Krampus 29+ and Fuji Nevada 26er are the bikes that are usually on the rack) and have never had any trouble with the bikes getting damaged, or the rack coming out...

80% of my usage is "in town" on the way to the trail sites, so road conditions range from great to scary;

the other 20% is on vacation in Michigan or the Adirondacks on gravel/fire roads (after High way travel getting there) and even on the fire roads, I never worry...

granted, I rarely hit RR tracks as fast as you did, even with nothing on my car, and on the fire roads, if you travel faster than 25mph, the whole car will come apart...so there is some common sense that I think the companies assume people are going to use when driving and using their products

#3,803 ·
I wanted to post an update that I received the Quik Slide. Even though it clamps a bit higher on the tire, I still get a lot of sway. It'll be a nice feature for those who need to adjust for different tire sizes on a regular basis. While I'm sure the bike/car/rack is fine, I'm going back to my old rack, it's cheaper and works just as well. One observation is that the bike sway doesn't look as bad in the rear view mirror, but since I use my backup camera while I have bikes on back, I think the sway is more noticeable. I loved the quality and features of the 1Up so I'm disappointed it wasn't for me.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Land vehicle

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Mode of transport

1UP does have a new rack (Equip-D) with wider trays and longer clamp arms. Looks like a bunch of great improvements.

Product Red Line Carmine Black

#3,806 ·
Here's my $0.02 on this wobbling thing, since the only parts of the bike that touches the rack are the tires you have to expect some wobbling of the bike when it is secured in the rack. The amount of wobble can vary depending on the amount of air you have in the tires. The more air you have the less wobble you'll see, conversely the less air in the tires will result in more wobbling. This is especially prevalent if you're running tubeless with low air pressure. The wobbling include the front wheel steering a bit from side to side as well as the entire bike going back and forth. This is because there are no bars or arms resting on the frame or fork to keep the bike from wobbling. The way I see it is that as long as the two arms of the rack securing the tires don't open up then there's no way the bike can come off. With the bike on the rack I tried to shake and pull the bike off the rack and it's not going anywhere. Yes, I was able to shake it and move it around a bit but it was all tire rubber movement and the bike isn't going anywhere. Of course if you're carrying multiple bikes you need to make sure that you've positioned the handle bars, saddle, and pedals of the bikes in such a way so that they're not slapping into each other. At most you may need to remove a pedal or two. Meaning if you're carrying two bikes and no matter what you do a pedal will hit the other bike. In that case all you need to do is remove that one pedal. If you're carrying 3 bikes then only remove the pedals from the middle bike. Carrying 4 bikes then remove the pedals from every other bike.

#3,807 ·
My 1up rack sits on an angle... how can I make it level?

Hey guys,

I'm pretty happy with my 1up rack. Only issue is that the rack, when tightened into the hitch, does not sit level (parallel with the bumper). Is this common? Even if it's just cosmetic, it's really bugging me.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've attached pics of my hitch and the rack secured into it.

Thanks!

Attachments

#3,808 ·
Hey guys,

I'm pretty happy with my 1up rack. Only issue is that the rack, when tightened into the hitch, does not sit level (parallel with the bumper). Is this common? Even if it's just cosmetic, it's really bugging me.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've attached pics of my hitch and the rack secured into it.

Thanks!
How much wobble does it have before you tighten the expansion ball down?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3,820 ·
I just got my 1up rack this week and wanted to post a modification/addition I made to it already. While there are reflectors on the ends, I wanted to add on some LED brake/turn/running lights to increase safety when a bike is covering my tail lights on the car. Here are the lights in action mounted to the rack with 3M double-sided tape for now. I will probably swap to hook and loop when I get a second tray so I can move the lights as needed. It's hard to see in the video, but the lights are on low all the time and full when brake or turn signals are on.

#3,821 ·
Anyone ever buy a single rack in any version and then end up buying 2 additional single add-ons to be able to hold 3 total?

I only need one carrier 80%+ of the time, it would be nice to not have a double rack in my way all the time when I need to get into the back of my SUV. It looks like a single, I might be able to lift the hatch of my SUV without dropping bike rack down like I need to do with my current Thule (not really current since the whole insides rusted out in less than 4 years and it's now just scrap).

However, my 5 year old is riding more and then if my wife tags along there are times I could use the ability to have 3 bike racks.

So am I better off getting a double and purchasing 1 add-on? My concern is buying a single rack then 2 additional add-ons, might not be as secure as the double with a single attached to it. I'm not really worried that with 3 singles the bikes will fall off but more just the amount of movement bolting 3 singles together as opposed to bolting one single to an existing double.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks.

#3,822 ·
Anyone ever buy a single rack in any version and then end up buying 2 additional single add-ons to be able to hold 3 total?

I only need one carrier 80%+ of the time, it would be nice to not have a double rack in my way all the time when I need to get into the back of my SUV. It looks like a single, I might be able to lift the hatch of my SUV without dropping bike rack down like I need to do with my current Thule (not really current since the whole insides rusted out in less than 4 years and it's now just scrap).

However, my 5 year old is riding more and then if my wife tags along there are times I could use the ability to have 3 bike racks.

So am I better off getting a double and purchasing 1 add-on? My concern is buying a single rack then 2 additional add-ons, might not be as secure as the double with a single attached to it. I'm not really worried that with 3 singles the bikes will fall off but more just the amount of movement bolting 3 singles together as opposed to bolting one single to an existing double.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks.
I use a single and had two adds on with 3 bikes on a 9 hour trip to kingdom last year and no issues at all. Solid.

#3,823 ·
I have a 2x, 1x and 2 add-ons. If you don’t need 4, definitely go with a single. Easy to load and unload with one hand. It’s just as stable as a 2x with a +1. My wife has a 2017 GX460 with a rear swing out door and it clears fine. The hatch on the Subaru Crosstrek we had would clear with the 1x folded up. Hope that helps.

#3,824 ·
I have a single with two add-ons. Works great.

Like you, I just need a single most of the time, and it folds up against the bumper and I never have to mess with it to get in and out of the back of my Outback. This was the major selling point for me with this rack.

I go about 5 months out of the year with just the single as my wife does not like riding when it is cold out.

I use the second tray a bit during the warmer months. It is not that big of a deal to move it when I want to get in and out of the back, but I am glad to be rid of that second one when I know I won't need it. Of course, it is not more in the way than any other rack.

I don't use the third much, maybe a couple times a year. Seems perfectly solid to me. Any wobble that is present is coming from the interface with the hitch receiver, so I don't think using a double with a single add-on would be any different.

#3,827 ·
I have a superduty 2" single with 2 add ons. Has anyone tried going with 3 add ons despite the guidance to only do 2(3 bikes total)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My concern is buying a single rack then 2 additional add-ons, might not be as secure as the double with a single attached to it. I'm not really worried that with 3 singles the bikes will fall off but more just the amount of movement bolting 3 singles together as opposed to bolting one single to an existing double

#3,830 ·
my uneducated guess is, it depends on the weight of the bikes and quality and rating of the receiver of the vehicle. The superduty model it built like a tank, I have zero concerns about a single sd plus 3 sd add ons. I would be more worried about the car its going on and the bike weights. For xc bikes or road bikes anything with a class 3 hitch should be able to handle it. For heavy bikes I think >= class 4 should work. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of leverage a tongue load ratings will chime in. My assumption is anyone with a Superduty rack has a SUV or Truck with a decent receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,836 ·
As much as I have wanted to be a 1up Fan - I just can't..... Purchased a Super Duty w/ 2 extra mounts for the back of our Sprinter last Fall. While in 2 bike mode it's pretty solid however in 4 bike mode the sheer amount of Vertical Flex/Sway is absolutely unacceptable. Numerous times with our families bikes on rougher roads the bars have absolutely slammed the rear window to the point I expected it to shatter. And our bikes are all pretty light too boot - no heavy DH bikes or e-bikes.... And while stationary the closest bars are ~ 5" away from the window

Local family friends w/ a Sprinter as well have had the same experience with their 1up in 4 bike mode

Sprinter/Transit owners you'll be better off with a Vertical oriented rack IMO. I'll be going back to a Northshore here shortly. Zero issues with the last one we had other than no road bikes which really isnt an issue for us....

#3,838 ·
As much as I have wanted to be a 1up Fan - I just can't..... Purchased a Super Duty w/ 2 extra mounts for the back of our Sprinter last Fall. While in 2 bike mode it's pretty solid however in 4 bike mode the sheer amount of Vertical Flex/Sway is absolutely unacceptable. Numerous times with our families bikes on rougher roads the bars have absolutely slammed the rear window to the point I expected it to shatter. And our bikes are all pretty light too boot - no heavy DH bikes or e-bikes.... And while stationary the closest bars are ~ 5" away from the window

Local family friends w/ a Sprinter as well have had the same experience with their 1up in 4 bike mode

Sprinter/Transit owners you'll be better off with a Vertical oriented rack IMO. I'll be going back to a Northshore here shortly. Zero issues with the last one we had other than no road bikes which really isnt an issue for us....
I had an Element with a Kuat NV, the handle bar was close to the rear window where a couple times going over train tracks I heard a loud THUD, the handle bar smacking the rear window. Luckily I got rid of the rack before the bike broke the window.

So with that said, any platform rack where the handle bars are that close to the rear window will cause issue.

#3,837 ·
If I'm going to be traveling any distance or on rough roads, I always loosen the stem and turn the bars 90 degrees. It's not necessary but it does help and I don't worry about lining up the bars with the seats.

I've noticed that bikes on top do not affect the gas mileage as much as bikes on back. When we had our Subaru Crosstrek, one bike on back was worse than two bikes on top.

#3,839 ·
If I'm going to be traveling any distance or on rough roads, I always loosen the stem and turn the bars 90 degrees. It's not necessary but it does help and I don't worry about lining up the bars with the seats.

I've noticed that bikes on top do not affect the gas mileage as much as bikes on back. When we had our Subaru Crosstrek, one bike on back was worse than two bikes on top.
yup, had to resort to that....will pass the rack onto the wife for her Highlander. she usually only hauls her bike and maybe 1 of the kids' and I had no issues in 2 bike mode. back to the NorthShore or p.o perhaps the Yakima Hangover for a van rack...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.