Page 92 of 95 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2352
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Got mine set up today. Went with the silver and the add-on as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Single on my daily driver, have 3 bike capacity total. Fantastic rack!

Had to angle grinder off part of the hitch to clear the quad exhaust but I can get to trails quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been loving my 1up rack for 4 years now, but have run into some trouble. First off the rack itself seized (cold welded) into my hitch. You can order new parts, so i ordered a new hitch section and another part, the top plate, to refurb my old rack. I tossed the old hitch since im selling the car. Several of the other bolts, stainless steel, are also seized in the aluminum rack. If i strip these bolts the rack is basically a throw away at this point. Kind of dissapointed, they wouldn't use proper anti-seize with unlike metals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    Happened to me earlier in the summer, mine looked a little worse but not by much, but insurance bought me a new rack. Unfortunately they took the old one. The packrat in me wanted to strip off good parts for future spares but insurance said no.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    I ordered a new one last Thursday and received it today. That's fast with Holiday and all. Now I hope the insurance company pays for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
    I've been loving my 1up rack for 4 years now, but have run into some trouble. First off the rack itself seized (cold welded) into my hitch. You can order new parts, so i ordered a new hitch section and another part, the top plate, to refurb my old rack. I tossed the old hitch since im selling the car. Several of the other bolts, stainless steel, are also seized in the aluminum rack. If i strip these bolts the rack is basically a throw away at this point. Kind of dissapointed, they wouldn't use proper anti-seize with unlike metals.
    I am guessing you are in a northern climate with snow and salt? I would think it's pretty standard practice to put some time of lube in your reciever , and you may want to try heating the bolts up with a torch before removing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

just got mine....now what type of locks are you using to secure your roof trays?

hi all,
    Just received my 2 roof trays, and boy are they'rere substantial. Not light and flimsy like the plastic Yakima, and quite a bit heavier than Thule aluminum. Looking forward to trying them out.

I was wondering what locks / cables you are using to secure to the roof rack, actual model names/numbers would be great. thanks
    Derek

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I am guessing you are in a northern climate with snow and salt? I would think it's pretty standard practice to put some time of lube in your reciever , and you may want to try heating the bolts up with a torch before removing.
    going to try the torch tonight.

mtbr member
    Don't use a torch....freeze it and hit with a rubber mallet or chunk of wood....and air can turned upside down and spray...should freeze. Heat will make the medal expand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just received some new security bolts (the one that tightens it into the hitch and for the add ons) because the center pin rusted (of course they replaced for free!! ). Does anyone know how to replace the one that is in the hitch?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Don't use a torch....freeze it and hit with a rubber mallet or chunk of wood....and air can turned upside down and spray...should freeze. Heat will make the medal expand.
    You need to quit hitting the booze dude!! Heat and cold with do the same thing, but it will me much easier to get heat into the part with a torch, than it would be to fiddle f*ck around with a spray can and try to freeze the part. Because the bolt and rack are two different substraights, they will expand/contract at different rates. All you are doing is trying to break the corrosive bond between the bolt and the material it is threaded into.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

what's your thoughts on the current black roof trays

Hi,
    thinking about getting a black roof tray, what are you're thoughts on them with respect to the following

do they show scratches more easy than the silver?
    Do they fade to a brown with the sun?
    Are they anodized or power coated and how does this compare to the silver?

thanks
    Last edited by capall; 09-08-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Both black and silver have a combination of powder coating and anodizing - the actual tray that the tires touch are powder coated - that was a change they made earlier this year (previously even the trays were anodized). All the other parts are anodized. Unless they have improved the process, the powder coating on the silver chips/peels pretty easily. If the black is the same way, that would make it look horrible in a hurry (at least with the silver paint, when it chips you see the silver aluminum underneath which camouflages the chip to some degree). Hopefully people with black powdercoated trays will chime in regarding the durability.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks albertdc, good info
    any more info would be appreciated

mtbr member

My silver super duty Ordered on a Thursday recieved in 8 days! And it sat at UPS for 4 days over the labour day weekend!

I love this rack!! Much nicer than expected. My only complaint is the ratchet plate seems to bite really hard and the entire release seems to flex awkwardly when opening. Perhaps I just need to get a better feel for it! Also as others have said the edges are SHARP! I managed to cut my knuckle up pretty good installing it for the first time.

I also got the kryptonite mini u lock and a 7' cable to secure everything!

(sorry about the pics, it was getting late and the sun was not working to my advantage.)
    -= 2012+ Niner Air 9 - His
    -= 2015 Trek Skye SLX - Hers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Can someone with the single rack in a 2" hitch comment on how the adapter works. Is it attached to the stinger permanently, or is it loose, such that when you remove from the car it will fall off?

Also - when was the last time anyone asked for a special order 2" single rack? ( seems I found a post from 2013 ) I have 2" hitch and would prefer a 2" rack, but don't want to have to get the double. ( want to be able to run 1 bike most of the time )

thanks in advance

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Can someone with the single rack in a 2" hitch comment on how the adapter works. Is it attached to the stinger permanently, or is it loose, such that when you remove from the car it will fall off?

Also - when was the last time anyone asked for a special order 2" single rack? ( seems I found a post from 2013 ) I have 2" hitch and would prefer a 2" rack, but don't want to have to get the double. ( want to be able to run 1 bike most of the time )

thanks in advance
    The adapter bolts to the rack so it's very stable and it won't fall off for any reason.

My buddy got one a couple years back. He had to call him and convince him to make one. He doesn't look doing them but he might if you ask nicely.

I have both and the 2" hitch is definitely more sturdy. You only really notice that when you have more than 2 bikes. He use to rate the smaller hitch for 4 bikes but stopped a few years ago. I think the rack+4 bikes gets real close to the max tongue weight. If I had an extra tray I'd probably try it though.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    The adapter bolts to the rack so it's very stable and it won't fall off for any reason.

My buddy got one a couple years back. He had to call him and convince him to make one. He doesn't look doing them but he might if you ask nicely.

I have both and the 2" hitch is definitely more sturdy. You only really notice that when you have more than 2 bikes. He use to rate the smaller hitch for 4 bikes but stopped a few years ago. I think the rack+4 bikes gets real close to the max tongue weight. If I had an extra tray I'd probably try it though.
    Hey thanks - that's what I needed to know. So at least the adapter is fixed on there, that's good. I would still prefer the 2" stinger....just because...bigger is better! I'll call and see how it goes.

mtbr member

Good job!

I received a 1 Up USA rack last week, and it is awesome!
    Very well made, and very solid construction.
    You can't go wrong with a 1 Up USA bicycle rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post

Having the 1 1/4 and the 2, if was only going to haul 1 bike i would get the 1 1/4 because it's so much lighter.

Also, I have one of the very first 2" receivers and the part that goes into the hitch is solid I see newer ones are drilled. Is that for weight savings?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looking at buying the 1Up for my Chevrolet Traverse. Does anyone on here have one with pics that you can share?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Can someone tell me how long the 1up roof tray is? I can't find that spec on their website.
    "Geologic time includes now."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    There shouldn't be any edges on a bike rack sharp enough to cut anybody handling it...
    I agree. Was loving my rack (on the roof) on it's first use today, then I noticed the blood dripping from a small slice on my thumb. I have no idea how it got cut, other than I didn't feel a thing and that it happened as I was securing the bike to the rack.

Still impressed with the rack, just need to figure out how not to get cut again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Can someone tell me how long the 1up roof tray is? I can't find that spec on their website.
    55 inches
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20141004_125018l.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    55 inches
    Thank you----those look great!
    "Geologic time includes now."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Thank you----those look great!
    Thanks. I think so, too. Very low-profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20141005_115543.jpg  

Page 92 of 95 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 LastLast