Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Working on how to get one up to Alaska since shipping via 1up is triple digits...looks like shipping to a family members house in "America" and carried via baggage is my best option!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbud View Post
    I ordered mine on a Sunday night and it was at the house by Thursday. Opened the box and couldn't believe the detail that goes into this thing. Like a friend of mine said when he saw it, this rack looks like it's machined, not stamped out in some factory.
    That's exactly what it is. Machined somewhere near Madison, WI.

J.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    That's exactly what it is. Machined somewhere near Madison, WI.

J.
    I get Thule at cost and have a garage full of their bike and kayak racks. The Thule stuff works, but the 1up is a work of art and makes the Thule stuff look cheap in comparison.

I've used the 1up twice. First time was a 45 minute drive to the local trail. Could not believe how easy it was to load the bike up. I was skeptical, but rechecked the bike after 10 minutes on the road and it was still rock solid.

Second time was to take a road bike to the LBS. Was a little concerned about the skinny tires, but the tapered rollers made plenty of contact and again bike was as secure as when I left.

The two handed operation is a little awkward, but once you figure out the technique for holding up the bike while pivoting or unpivoting the arms it's all good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbud View Post
    The two handed operation is a little awkward, but once you figure out the technique for holding up the bike while pivoting or unpivoting the arms it's all good.
    I set one arm to the angle it's "supposed" to be at for my particular bike while lowering the other arm all the way down (more or less). I stick the back wheel into the arm that is in the correct position and then raise and snug the other arm. Bam!

mtbr member
    Just ordered mine tonight after selling off my Yakima rack! Cannot wait. I literally used to slightly dread going riding if I new I had to drive, but now I'm thinking I'll be looking foward to it. No more tagging a folding stepstool along in order to reach my 29er on the roof!

mtbr member
    And it cleans up so well!!! Finally got a chance to give it a proper cleaning tonight after season's end (never cleaned it during the season) and it looks as it did on day one. Took no more than some Dawn dish soap and a sponge to get off all the road grime, mud, and spatter of chain lube off.
    konahonzo

Rednose/Greenback

Fat Backs Fit Fine

I had a Thule Helium still boxed when an opportunity arose to try my Fat Back on one. Those support bars were just too narrow and I was not at all comfortable with the stability factor. It's a nice rack but...
    Instead, I got a Quick Rack and I'm glad I did so. They put the spacer kit on for me and rack installed on a '07 Pilot without a hitch (no pun intended). Very robust build and low profile. It shows up on the rearview camera but not so as to create a problem. The first pic shows how it appears folded up when not in use.

Only negative was lifting/ closing the spacers arms made the bushings screech like a canary getting gang-raped. Sprayed lube on to cure it.

The greenback fits on perfectly and it's worth mentioning that I had no clamping issues with an OMM Sherpa on the rear. That's good as I may add a front rack at some point. Rack design will not interfere with frame bags either. Come summer and I may spring for the add-on kit.

@JordyB: FYI, a single rack is 30lbs boxed. Packaging is fairly robust w/ hand slot for carrying. Your game plan for getting it to AK is sensible. Hope that works out travel wise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up-quick-hitch-1.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up-quick-hitch-2.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up-quick-hitch-3.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up-quick-hitch-4.jpg  

38į 54' -77į 15

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

hello

you are great

mtbr member
    This thing should be on Modern Marvels.

Just as expected based on everyone elses' comments, it's perfect. The only thing that could better would be if it loaded itself.

Just as I hoped, my 29er and my son's 20er fit perfectly.

Installed on a Jeep Cherokee XJ.

Snapped a few pics, including some showing the 3.25 x 6-Inch Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2011-12-30_14-37-51_429.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2011-12-30_14-24-32_173.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2011-12-30_14-24-12_615.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2011-12-30_14-24-20_123.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2011-12-30_14-46-57_650.jpg  

mtbr member
    I see they updated their decals.
    konahonzo

S*it Happens!
    I just installed a new hitch on my car and Iím in need of a new rack. Iíve been going back between the Thule Helium, Kuat Beta and the USA1.

My needs areÖQuality, light weight, storable and ease of use.

The Kuat Beta is the lightest of the group and the least expensive. However, at 12 lbs Iím unsure about the racks longevity. The Thule, well, what can you sayÖitís a Thule. Iím sure that rack will hold up over time. But, it cost the same as this USA1 rack.

I love how the USA1 rack folds up and I can see the quality of itís construction and design. Has anyone reported any issues with this rack?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifeÖthe trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not to my knowledge. The rack is simple and it's well designed. 1UpUSA offers a pretty good guarantee if you don't like it too.

j.

mtbr member
    Worth every penny. I could have bought two with the money I spent over the years trying to get cheaper racks to work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    Worth every penny. I could have bought two with the money I spent over the years trying to get cheaper racks to work.
    +1 Me too. This is a good value in my book.

j.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!!!

I bought the 2" rack with an extra add-on module... Best money I have EVER spent on a cycling related purchase... bar none!

Really, really love it. (It makes all those other steal monsters I've owned over the years seem like such a waste..)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=apbtlvr;8863094]

Sprayed lube on to cure it. [/QOUTE]

If you must lube it (you don't really need to), don't get any on the nylock nuts and washers. It will allow the nylocks to loosen over time. It feels good in the moment but you'll be sad down the road. I speak from experience.

mtbr member
    In regards to the arms squeaking when moving them, I too experienced this when the rack was new and it rained outside when in use. I asked about lubing it to quiet it down but never really bothered doing it, and the noise is now definitely gone after a couple months use, even if it rains. I guess it just needs to be broken in.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just got around to taking a few pictures. No fancy backdrops and plus they had to be night shots too...

I came from a Yakima stickup and was looking at either getting a Yakima Holdup, Thule 2, or the Kuat NV until I started reading about these 1up's. I needed something that won't take up too much room in my garage when I'm not using the rack because my garage is plenty full as it is. I wanted something that stayed small on my vehicle when I'm really only bringing one bike with me most of the time. I wanted something that is easy to use as far as installation, mounting, and unmounting as well as not back breaking when handling the rack.

I chose the black anodized because I can't get over how nice it looked in the pictures and in-person even nicer! There are already scratches on the rack from the little I've used it but it hasn't bothered me like I was worried that it would. I am extremely happy with this purchase. It IS more expensive right now (don't know about over the longer term) but I guess the satisfaction drowns out the spending

Rednose/Greenback
    [QUOTE=racerwad;8869322]
    Quote Originally Posted by apbtlvr View Post

Sprayed lube on to cure it. [/QOUTE]

If you must lube it (you don't really need to), don't get any on the nylock nuts and washers. It will allow the nylocks to loosen over time. It feels good in the moment but you'll be sad down the road. I speak from experience.
    Thanks for this head's up
    38į 54' -77į 15

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Damn you guys.. You have me wanting to sell my T2+2 setup now..

My current setup is my T2+2 that is a PITA to put on and off my dad's 01 Expedition when I want to use it.. And I also have a 01 Subie Forester with 2 Thule side arm roof racks and a Rockymountain tray.. My Forester is going to get a custom 2" hitch installed (not for towing purposes, just for the fact that I have 3 other vehicles with 2' hitches and accessories.)

But my racing and road trips I have been stuck taking the expedition due to me not being able to carry 4 bikes with the Subie.. (My Dj, My Roaddie or cross,My All mountain rig, and dads or Gf's bike)

I seriously am thinking that A 2" 1up plus 2 Add on's would be perfect for my needs.. When I want to use it on the Exdedition, I could use the Big rack +2 add on's to carry the 4 bikes when we use the Expedition for shuttling and we need the big car.. and then when I want to use my Subie for road trips or easy on the pocket shuttling, I can use the 2 place and then have my other 2 on the tops of the car..

The 2 place on the back of the Sub would be 50lbs for the rack + 80lbs max for the bikes ( more like 55-60 seeing as every bike I own is sub-30) and I would be at ~130lbs and even with the added leverage of the hitch, I would still think I am under the 350lbs max load of my Subie..

My Only complaint..
    I know that the 1Up is solid and made very well USA products, but getting just the 1up and only 1 add on hurts for the price I paid for my T2+2 and my 2 Thule roof racks so we can carry 6 bikes between my Subie and my dads Expedition.. these things are damn expensive.. I will see how tax returns and the next year treats me..

Afric Pepperbird
    I just ordered this piece of work... it will arrive 1/31. I can hardly wait. I needed a new rack for my new car. I really like my old Thule, but the thing weighed a metric ton, and did not fold up nice and compact for easy storage. The 1up will reside in my trunk the 4-5 days a week I'm not riding.

I like that it's made in the Driftless region of Wisconsin, the state I grew up in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Me too. Mine shipped today and arrives 1/31!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You won't be disappointed in your purchase. I've had mine a couple months on my Jetta Sportwagen with no complaints. It's easy to pull off one of the trays or take off completely. I can easily go from my 1.25 inch on the wagon to my wife's SUV with 2" receiver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_0273.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_0295.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_0307.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just got my 1-Up today. What a great piece of equipment!! I'm so used to cheap, flimsy metal and plastic products that this was a real pleasant surprise. Fantastic engineering, I must say. It went on easy, and I got the bike installed in just a few seconds.

Since you need to hold the red lever to raise the arm supports, I'm wondering about holding the bike steady while using both hands to raise the support, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I'm sure that this will be well worth the money!

Afric Pepperbird
    Mine arrived today! Read the instructions, and had it on in 10 minutes. I just love how it'll come off in seconds and stow in the trunk, which was the main selling point for me for a new rack. Heck, my Thule Doubletrack is fine, but it weighs a metric ton and does not fold. It had to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Glad you liked it. I didn't think you'd be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Hi, had some questions for current owners:

1) are there any components that can rust with this rack?
    2) anyone using a 4-tray setup, and if maxing out the rack this way causes any disconcerting rack movement?
    3) anyone with a 4-tray setup with pics of what that looks like with regard to how far it sticks out, and when folded up?

I placed an order for a two tray setup. Down the road I might go with the additional extensions.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Man I wih I would have saw this a few months ago. But I still needed a 5 biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    Hi, had some questions for current owners:

1) are there any components that can rust with this rack?
    2) anyone using a 4-tray setup, and if maxing out the rack this way causes any disconcerting rack movement?
    3) anyone with a 4-tray setup with pics of what that looks like with regard to how far it sticks out, and when folded up?

I placed an order for a two tray setup. Down the road I might go with the additional extensions.

Thanks!
    Here's the pictures you wanted.

I've driven this rack fully loaded with 4 bikes for more than 10,000 miles at highway speeds with no problems including hitting some major bumps. Anytime you cantilever that much weight, you will see it go up and down some. But it's only a few inches and a lot of it has to do with when you are going up/down in the car and when the rack is (i.e. not at the same time). Follow it with another car and you will see it is minimal. THen follow the same with a steel rack and watch how far that one bounces.

J.

4 tray folded up

4 tray down

4 tray loaded and down:

mtbr member
    Here's the pictures you wanted.
    4 tray loaded and down:
    Awesome, thank you for the pics and feedback. Question on this particular pic. It looks like the bikes/trays are slightly leaning back...is this normal? I had the impression the bikes would stand vertical, and most of the two-bike setups show that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mine's an older rack and it's winter here so it's not on the car much lately.

I think there is a slight backwards cant but I don't recall. I think because of the closeness to the vehicle and to accommodate all vehicles (and opening rear windows), they gave it a slight backwards angle. You can see how close the handlebar on the frontmost bike is to the car. Anyhow, it works great and has for a lot of miles.

This is the older 1.25" 4 bike rack that works with both the 2" and the 1.25" hitch. We have it installed in a 2" receiver here.

mtbr member
    Got mine today and am super happy with it. No surprise at how well it was made since that was detailed in this thread. Nonetheless, seeing the quality of construction in person was impressive. It does kinda look like a DIY project compared to the other brands, but I actually like how it looks. The anodized levers look sweet.

Found that there was an obvious blemish on one of the levers (guessing the rack must have scrapped against something to expose the aluminum in this area), but not a big deal.

Very pleased at how compact everything is. Fits nicely in the trunk.

Tossed the car around to see how things would move. It IS disconcerting at how the bikes jiggle about in the rear-view camera, but seeing in person how well they are held relieved my concerns. Bought a u-lock and cable to secure the rack and bikes to the hitch loops. Perfect.

One of the best purchases I've made in a while

mtbr member
    Awesome FXT!!!!
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    You won't be disappointed in your purchase. I've had mine a couple months on my Jetta Sportwagen with no complaints. It's easy to pull off one of the trays or take off completely. I can easily go from my 1.25 inch on the wagon to my wife's SUV with 2" receiver.
    Can you open the trunk when the rack is tilted? I figure geometry is likely similar to my '10 GTI...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thinking about selling my Kuat Sherpa for the 1UP now. Reasoning based on the ability to only have 1 platform mounted and the add-on stashed in my hatch when needed. Hmm....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Thinking about selling my Kuat Sherpa for the 1UP now. Reasoning based on the ability to only have 1 platform mounted and the add-on stashed in my hatch when needed. Hmm....

^^This was a deciding factor for me as well. I LOVE the fact it is so easy to remove the extra add-ons and store them easily. Also, because they fold so compact, it's so easy to keep the entire rack and add-ons in the trunk so you have it all the time without it dangling at the back. The more I see other racks on the road, the more I appreciate the brilliance of the quik rack. They hit a home run with this design.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Awesome FXT!!!!
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
    Can you open the trunk when the rack is tilted? I figure geometry is likely similar to my '10 GTI...

Thanks!
    Yes, you can open trunk with tilted rack.

mtbr member

crooked hitch or rack?

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has the noticed the same. When i fold up my rack, I find that it tilts lower in the left, meaning when viewed straight-on from the back, the rack is not parallel to the bumper as reference. Here is a picture to illustrate what I mean:

I went back to the place who installed my Curt hitch and they said the hitch is installed level.

With that in mind, I tried to re-adjust my rack several times, but whenever i tighten it down, it always tilts ever so slightly this way.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but is it normal? I do see others who seem to have level racks when folded. Wondering if my hitch is indeed crooked, or if the rack normally does this due to the ball pressure exerted on only one side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mine is square. When looking at the picture with your bikes on the rack, it does seem a bit skewed. But it might be the angle of the picture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine is also square in four different hitches I've used.

The hitch receiver opening itself may not be square with the hitch. If it really bothers you, you could take a level to the hitch frame and the hitch opening to see where the discrepancy is.

A

mtbr member
    Thx for the feedback guys. The place who installed my hitch took a look and said the hitch is straight. At this point i am trying to find someone with any other hitch rack to try on mine to see if the issue still may be with my hitch. Anyway, it's good to know what i am seeing is not normal.

As a note: I've also presented my issue to 1upusa, who has been immediately responsive to me and offered to send me a replacement of their hitch interface (in case it was welded crooked) which is appreciated. Before I take them up on their offer, I'll perform my due diligence here to make sure the hitch is not at fault.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

It is really great to hear that 1Up is quick to react. I had a good feeling about their product and service before I bought mine, and this proves it to me.. Try to get service from China...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

ballbuster

Hmmm....

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has the noticed the same. When i fold up my rack, I find that it tilts lower in the left, meaning when viewed straight-on from the back, the rack is not parallel to the bumper as reference. Here is a picture to illustrate what I mean:

I went back to the place who installed my Curt hitch and they said the hitch is installed level.

With that in mind, I tried to re-adjust my rack several times, but whenever i tighten it down, it always tilts ever so slightly this way.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but is it normal? I do see others who seem to have level racks when folded. Wondering if my hitch is indeed crooked, or if the rack normally does this due to the ball pressure exerted on only one side.
    Mine is a bit crooked as well. I just figured it was because the wedge fixing ball is on a corner. No biggie, IMO. It's not bad enough to actually expend brain and sweat cycles on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is there any play at hinge where the platform pivots?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Mine is a bit crooked as well. I just figured it was because the wedge fixing ball is on a corner. No biggie, IMO. It's not bad enough to actually expend brain and sweat cycles on.
    I hear ya. It's no big deal since the rack works fine. But I admit to being a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like this

Funny thing is I just don't know anyone else with a hitch rack, lol. Will call and see if the hitch place has some sort of accessory attachment I can try to help confirm if the problem follows my hitch.

Is there any play at hinge where the platform pivots?
    It's extremely solid, though technically it does have a fraction of movement where the lock bar sits in the grooves to adjust the angle. But nothing I can tell that would contribute to this slant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The "attachment" the installers would use is called a level. Either the hitch is out of square (via its connection to your car) or the receiver opening itself was not welded square to the mounting bracket. It would be a simple thing to check yourself.

Is the hitch on your Subaru a 2"? That could contribute to this wonkiness, but I have my doubts. I use my rack (1 1/4") in a cheapie Harbor Freight receiver box (2") and have no alignment issues.

I am biased towards thinking the Curt hitch isn't welded level/square/plumb/whatever. I haven't been impressed with their products.

Either way, the rack (and hitch and install) is pricey. I think it's reasonable to make sure your OCD is suppressed

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anyone know what these rubber/plastic pieces are on the arms?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    They hold the arm snug against the locking lever when folded down.

Ologist
    They sort act as spacers when you fold it down it keeps the arms aligned and not rubbing metal on metal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

More testimony to the versatility of the 1Up

Not only will it fit 29" but also 16" kids bikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just bit and ordered a single rack since I have a pending buyer on my Kuat Sherpa.

Going to eventually pickup the +1 add-on when I need it, though I would've ordered it at the same time if there was a price break on the combo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi Guys,

What else would they say....?? I have the same issue with a U-Haul Hitch receiver I installed on my Titan. I had a Thule platform rack that was always crooked(not level with bumper) and drove me crazy.....it worked fine but just bugged. I figured that it had just gotten bent from usage or whatever. Anyway, I got a Kuat NV at Interbike and was looking forward to having a nice straight rack. No such luck. That NV leaned almost exactly like the Thule.

Turns out that the hitch receiver was rotated clockwise ever so slightly when it was welded into place. I took it back to U-Haul for a warranty and they told me I was out of luck sice I bought it A-LA-Carte and installed it myself. District mananger backed up the location and told me I was out of luck.

Won't be dealing with that company anymore.

Take a good look at your receiver. The hitch probably is level since it is bolted to the frame of your car....but if the receiver is rotated as mine was, you will get the "tilted" look with whatever goes into it. Hope you didn't buy it from UHaul.
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My order is coming in Tuesday, I'm excited to see how it compares to the Kuat Sherpa.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's mine. I love the engineering and simplicity of this. I definitely have the nicest rack in the parking lot at the trailhead!

I have to admit that the simple design of the rack has me a bit unnecessarily concerned -- I'm a bit afraid of the arm supports 'easing off' while I'm driving, and that's the only thing holding the bike in place. However, I'm sure that this is just me being paranoid as I see the bike rattle around in the rear view mirror, which you're going to get with any rack. I've read hear about people using this rack with no problems on cross country trips, so I shouldn't worry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up.jpg  

Last edited by moldau94; 02-26-2012 at 12:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    ...I have to admit that the simple design of the rack has me a bit unnecessarily concerned -- I'm a bit afraid of the arm supports 'easing off' while I'm driving, and that's the only thing holding the bike in place. However, I'm sure that this is just me being paranoid as I see the bike rattle around in the rear view mirror, which you're going to get with any rack. I've read hear about people using this rack with no problems on cross country trips, so I shouldn't worry.
    You definitely have nothing to worry about. Since it's new to you it's definitely worth keeping an eye on in case something fails early on but I doubt it. I had one of the bolts which allows the arms to pivot (at the trays) come all the way out and the arms still held fine.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just received mine today. Been messing with it and by golly this rack is quality...much more than my Kuat Sherpa.

The machining on this rack is phenomenal...everything just fits perfectly and doesn't rattle. Although the latch is a little bit cumbersome, it is indeed very secure.

I'm still not secure about their anti-theft hex tool...since it is basically a hex that is drilled out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Got mine on Friday. Can't believe the quality compared to my old yakima stuff. I love how easy it is to load vs a roof rack. Only problem I've found is that its difficult to remove from the hitch. I loosened the bolt but it doesn't seem to retract the ball like it should. I couldn't get the rack to move and had to pound on it with a rubber mallet to get it loose enough to pull out. I tried it with the rack off the car and again couldn't get the ball to retract without banging it in. Seems like its getting stuck somehow when its tightened. Anyone else have this problem? It wouldn't be much of a problem except one of the big reasons I got it was how quick and easy (it should be) to remove and move between vehicles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had a similar problem with the ball not retracting when installing for the first time. I hit it with a mallet and havent had any problems since (couple weeks).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Used the rack today and I am completely satisfied with this rack.

In comparison to my past Kuat Sherpa, the 1UP rack is so much better in the fit, finish, and overall quality. I experienced less bike wobble while driving on the freeway. The latch fits into the groove with precision and there is NO play/wobble what-so-ever...not so for the Sherpa.

Without having to use a hitchpin, the 1UP can be inserted much further into the receiver compared to the Sherpa.

I highly recommend the 1UP over the Kuat Sherpa...based on my experience. A bit more expensive, but the quality is there. Not to bash on Kuat, they do have a awesome customer service base, but the rack was just not as robust as the 1UP. I would happily choose the Kuat over a Yakima or Thule though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone know if 1Up offer some upgrade program to trade in a 1Up single for the 1Up 2-bike setup that can carry up to 4 bikes?

At the time I bought mine, they only offer the single bike. I'm currently carry 3 bikes, would like to carry all four instead of putting the 4th bike inside the car with me, which I know isn't safe.

Thanks!

Ologist
    I would just call them. You will need to anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually the previous rack that would work in both a 1.25" and 2" receiver was capable of handling 4 bikes in a 2" receiver. You could just buy an extra kit and you'd be there.

That's the rack I have and I use it with 4 bikes all the time.

J.

mtbr member
    I ordered the hidden hitch and the 1UP Quik Rack.

I don't feel safe leaving my bikes unattended while on the rack. What do you use to secure the bike to the rack? Pics?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I don't feel safe leaving my bikes unattended while on the rack. What do you use to secure the bike to the rack? Pics?
    I usually do not leave them, but when I do - cable lock through the hitch. It is a mild deterrent anyway, no matter what you do, from a casual tweeker or a stupid kid.

If I leave for a ny prolonged period of time, bike goes inside the car, as well as the rack.

mtbr member
    I ordered the hidden hitch and the 1UP Quik Rack.

Standard bike locking procedures apply:

• >Those cylinder type locks that Yakima and Thule have are less than crap. Probably the easiest to break.
    • >The thinner cable locks will deter the casual thief but are easily cut.
    • >Ulocks are generally the strongest but it would be a challenge to find a good way to secure the lock around both the bike and the rack.
    • >Those real thick chain locks seem to be the best for this application for max security.
    • >All locks can be broken by a determined experienced bike thief so it'd be best to remove the temptation by not leaving your bike unattended if you live in such an area.

Personally, I live in a very safe neighborhood and everywhere the bike goes with me tends to be pretty safe so I've been getting away with a cable lock. After reading some of the more recent articles on bike theft I am more nervous doing this so I'll probably pick up one of those big ass chain locks in the near future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I generally don't leave my bike unattended at all, which poses a problem if I've got a hankering for a burrito on the way home from a ride.

However, with the time change, I'm now bringing the bike to work on my 1Up. We have a private (publicly inaccessible) parking garage, and if I back into a space up against the wall, it would be very difficult to remove the bike.

Just the same, though, I bought a thick (14mm) cable lock as a deterrent. However, it's 7-feet long, and it's not long enough to wrap around the bike and the hitch receiver. I'm now shopping around for a longer cable.

mtbr member
    Often I end up going for lunch with a bunch of friends after a ride.

I can never be comfortable leaving the bike on the rack. At least I want a tough cable long that could potentially deter a thief.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Often I end up going for lunch with a bunch of friends after a ride.

I can never be comfortable leaving the bike on the rack. At least I want a tough cable long that could potentially deter a thief.
    I have two cables. One thick one that goes through the hitch and frame, and a small one (which I also use with my beater commuter bike) that goes around wheel and rack, or around two bikes if I have them. I also may take seats off and through them into car.

Together with theft deterrent bolt on the rack itself I think that is enough for a opportunistic casual thief - for a short stop for lunch scenario. For any extended time (like parking lot at work, or parked near house) bikes and rack go off and inside.

Ologist
    This is definitely the only downside to this rack. Thick cable seems to be the only option. I have it connected to a u-lock attached on the bottom of the rack (not the tray). With my old Thule I could u-lock frame to rack and add the cable as extra security.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cables are easily cut. I have a case-hardened square chain that works pretty well (so far!) in that it would take slightly longer to cut than a cable. Those who think the "locks" on Thule or Yakima racks provide any real deterrent are only kidding themselves. The best strategy is to minimize risk over all: don't be predictable, don't leave your bike unattended for long stretches, don't make the theft "easy", etc. I have carried my bike daily and left it in a semi-secured lot for 12 hours a day for quite some time. It's a hassle to lock it or change my routine but, combined with good luck, has been working so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What's the response time on ordering the one bike rack? I ordered one on Saturday and expected something telling me when they're gonna ship it by now. Not a fan of not hearing anything for three days.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi View Post
    What's the response time on ordering the one bike rack? I ordered one on Saturday and expected something telling me when they're gonna ship it by now. Not a fan of not hearing anything for three days.
    Mine took two days to pack and ship, IIRC. I get the feeling they are a small two person shop that assembles them as the orders come in.

IIRC, it was a full week from order time to UPS man dropping it off at my door at work to California.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah the tilting could be a pain in the ass especially when you have two bikes loaded. Although it is a downfall of this rack, it is also a plus since it is so solidly engaged into each tilt position.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

How easy to tilt?

So the 1up rack looks solid and well built, but watching a video review of it on youtube, when the guy was tilting the rack away from the car, so he can access the hatch, it looked like a pain in the... and he only had the basic rack with no bike add-on. He was standing behind the bike, tilting the rack towards him, while reaching through the bike to pull the lever to tilt it. Then the bike was pushing down on him. IF that's the only way to tilt the bike rack away, that doesn't seem even closely comfortable with additional bike add on, impossible with 3 or 4. My question is, if there is a better way/more comfortable way to tilt the rack away? If not, this seems like the only design problem of the bike rack but pretty big one. I just purchased a Thule T2 and thinking about getting this one and spending the extra cash, that is if the tilting function is decent. Also, this rack isn't much lighter than other hitch mount bike racks. It weights just above 25 lbs, and the add-on is 20 lbs, that is 45+lbs for two bike carrier, compared to 48lbs for the Thule T2, which is still a breeze to remove and put on. The storage is another issue. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mat_edge05 View Post
    So the 1up rack looks solid and well built, but watching a video review of it on youtube, when the guy was tilting the rack away from the car, so he can access the hatch, it looked like a pain in the... and he only had the basic rack with no bike add-on. He was standing behind the bike, tilting the rack towards him, while reaching through the bike to pull the lever to tilt it. Then the bike was pushing down on him. IF that's the only way to tilt the bike rack away, that doesn't seem even closely comfortable with additional bike add on, impossible with 3 or 4. My question is, if there is a better way/more comfortable way to tilt the rack away? If not, this seems like the only design problem of the bike rack but pretty big one. I just purchased a Thule T2 and thinking about getting this one and spending the extra cash, that is if the tilting function is decent. Also, this rack isn't much lighter than other hitch mount bike racks. It weights just above 25 lbs, and the add-on is 20 lbs, that is 45+lbs for two bike carrier, compared to 48lbs for the Thule T2, which is still a breeze to remove and put on. The storage is another issue. Thanks
    Without putting a lot of time into figuring it out, you must have your weights wrong. Even if they were about the same size, the difference in weight between aluminum and steel would be huge. My rack with spots for two bikes sure doesn't feel like 45 lbs.

Tilting the bikes away from the car can be done, and we've done it with 4 bikes on it. That said, bikes are not all that light (assume 30lbs for a mountain bike or so) such that doing it yourself is going to be tricky. Doing it with two people is simple. I would have zero problems doing it with one person and one bike.

But, it's generally easier to take the inner most bike off. That's really fast and then you can usually open the back with no problem. It's so easy to load and unload a bike that I think I'd do that.

We also have one of those Yak racks that fits in the hitch with the bikes hanging from the top tube and can swing away from the car to access the back. The demo it on line without bikes on it and boy, is it easy? Then put a bike several bikes on it and getting it away from the car becomes a project. I would surmise that is true for almost any rack.

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

bike rack weight

Without putting a lot of time into figuring it out, you must have your weights wrong. Even if they were about the same size, the difference in weight between aluminum and steel would be huge. My rack with spots for two bikes sure doesn't feel like 45 lbs.

Tilting the bikes away from the car can be done, and we've done it with 4 bikes on it. That said, bikes are not all that light (assume 30lbs for a mountain bike or so) such that doing it yourself is going to be tricky. Doing it with two people is simple. I would have zero problems doing it with one person and one bike.

But, it's generally easier to take the inner most bike off. That's really fast and then you can usually open the back with no problem. It's so easy to load and unload a bike that I think I'd do that.

We also have one of those Yak racks that fits in the hitch with the bikes hanging from the top tube and can swing away from the car to access the back. The demo it on line without bikes on it and boy, is it easy? Then put a bike several bikes on it and getting it away from the car becomes a project. I would surmise that is true for almost any rack.

J.
    The 45 lbs is according to the 1up website (25lbs for the base with one rack, 20lbs for the add-on), so I hope they don't have it wrong. That's the thing, I want to be able to tilt it myself. What if other person is not available at the moment, or I just need to pull the car over really quick to get into the trunk. Taking off the bikes is fast, but then you have to lean them against something or lay them down, which I don't like to do. The Thule t2 is actually a breeze to tilt down an put back on. Taking off bikes is maybe 5 seconds slower. Also since the Thule is made out of steel, they don't have to use the same thickness as aluminum, so that could be why its not that much heavier. Tensile strength of steel can be even twice the value or more than aluminum. The 1up looks like a good rack, well built and thought out (except the tilting) and don't want to talk badly about a company, but I hope they didn't just put pieces of aluminum together and thought it would hold up. I guarantee you Thule has engineers performing Finite Element Analysis on their racks. Hopefully 1up hired someone too or maybe someone is an engineer there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's strikes me as shipping weight, not actual weight. They ship them in very heavy duty boxes that the intend to be used as storage (reusable). That said, I just hang my rack on pegs on the wall.

Here's the deal. You don't have to keep it all bolted together - why would you? It literally takes about 30 seconds to mount the main piece into the recover and another 10-15 secs to mount the second piece (add on kit). I'm not kidding on those times, either. It's very easy - my kids put it together when they were smaller.

Here's a video of some guy putting on a dual setup. Look at how easily he handles the rack. He gets the rack on the car and two bikes on it in less than 2 minutes. And he's not particularly efficient.

1UpUSA.com bike rack installation and bike mounting. (Under 2 minutes) - YouTube

If you read this whole thread, you'll find the the thing is built really well. No issues at all with fragility or anything like that.

To tilt it down, you unscrew the lock, take a bit of pressure off of the latch and lower it down.

I bought mine with the idea that "Oh, that tilt feature is really cool," and then have never used it. But we use ours mostly with 4 bikes and thats a lot to tilt no matter what. For one bike, it's just as easy to remove the bike. However, we do use it to tilt the rack up when on a trip and the track is not being used - that works great.

I think many 1UpUSA owners would say that this is the best rack they've owned.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thule has engineers performing Finite Element Analysis on their racks. Hopefully 1up hired someone too or maybe someone is an engineer there.
    If you have seen one of these racks, you probably would see that it is well engineered. Your comment seems to be a little irresponsible. Given your concerns about the tilting, perhaps this isn't the rack for you. Good luck with the Thule, it's not a bad rack either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The 45 lbs is according to the 1up website (25lbs for the base with one rack, 20lbs for the add-on), so I hope they don't have it wrong. That's the thing, I want to be able to tilt it myself. What if other person is not available at the moment, or I just need to pull the car over really quick to get into the trunk. Taking off the bikes is fast, but then you have to lean them against something or lay them down, which I don't like to do. The Thule t2 is actually a breeze to tilt down an put back on. Taking off bikes is maybe 5 seconds slower. Also since the Thule is made out of steel, they don't have to use the same thickness as aluminum, so that could be why its not that much heavier. Tensile strength of steel can be even twice the value or more than aluminum. The 1up looks like a good rack, well built and thought out (except the tilting) and don't want to talk badly about a company, but I hope they didn't just put pieces of aluminum together and thought it would hold up. I guarantee you Thule has engineers performing Finite Element Analysis on their racks. Hopefully 1up hired someone too or maybe someone is an engineer there.
    I guess Thule spent so much on their engineers performing "Finite Element Analysis" they forgot to improve on every other aspect. Sure steel is strong and stiff, but my T2 rusted like no other. Very nice that Thule incorporated built-in locks, but too bad all it takes is a flathead to pull out the whole lock. True that the T2 is easier to tilt, but it sure does suck when one of the platform somehow shimmy down and blocks the lever.

My experience with the T2 was that. Good rack overall, but does not even come close to touching the 1UP or Kuat racks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you have seen one of these racks, you probably would see that it is well engineered. Your comment seems to be a little irresponsible. Given your concerns about the tilting, perhaps this isn't the rack for you. Good luck with the Thule, it's not a bad rack either.
    Just because it looks like it was engineered properly doesn't mean it is. Calculations need to be made and of course testing too. Not just taking for a test drive, but actual testing with machines. It's probably fine though, if anything should fail on the hitch/bike rack apparatus, it should be welds on a hitch. I used the tilting function on the T2 so far everyday I had a bike on. I like the fact that I would be able to take off the 2nd bike rack of the 1up if I didn't need it. The T2 sticks out pretty far. Plus is bulky to store too. If I could just see the 1up in person, would like to try it before I buy it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I guess Thule spent so much on their engineers performing "Finite Element Analysis" they forgot to improve on every other aspect. Sure steel is strong and stiff, but my T2 rusted like no other. Very nice that Thule incorporated built-in locks, but too bad all it takes is a flathead to pull out the whole lock. True that the T2 is easier to tilt, but it sure does suck when one of the platform somehow shimmy down and blocks the lever.

My experience with the T2 was that. Good rack overall, but does not even come close to touching the 1UP or Kuat racks.
    If someone wants to steal the bike off of a rack they can if they're good. Yeah the locks are are joke, I only use them as an extra security preventing the tire arm hook from magically slipping from the wheel. They're also good if you're just walking into the gas station really quick. Anything longer, and I always have a thick long hardened cable to wrap around the rack and through the hitch. Again, just to make the people work for it, if they want to steal my bike. The 1up doesn't even come with any locks for the bike except the one locking it to the hitch. So off the 1up, the bike could be stolen in 5 seconds, since its so fast to take the bike off. So cable is required all the time. Plus aluminum is lot easier to cut than a hardened cable or steel. But enough of the war. There isn't a bike rack that is perfect, well not for everyone at least. I still think the 1up looks like a good rack

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you are depending on a bike rack in any way for security of your bike, you probably won't have your bike for long - I don't care whose rack it is. All of them are easy to defeat in mere seconds (like less than 10).

J

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

bichin' rack!

It's all been said already...I just got my 1up rack installed today and wanted to post up a pic. As others have said it's a beautiful piece of work. I've owned several hitch racks and this is the most stable by a huge margin. Amazingly simple to use also...my teenage daughter figured out how to get her bike on it when I wasn't around and she never even looked at the instruction sheet.

It was less than 1 week from placing the order to the box on the door. Arrived nicely packaged and fully assembled--shipping "included" in the price which is a nice touch.

Money well spent. I'll be ordering at least one add-on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-bike-rack1.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-bike-rack2.jpg  

whatever...

ballbuster

Me too

I just remember how ungodly heavy my T2 was, for what it was... , and it didn't fold down to fit in my trunk. It seemed like it was built with zero regard for weight. The thing was 56 pounds empty. It was big, bulky, heavy and not very well designed, IMO.

Now, I just fold up and throw my 1Up USA rack in my trunk and forget about it until I need it.

mtbr member
    Just got my 1Up quick rack a few weeks ago and used it for the first time this weekend. Went together easily and works great. The build quality and engineering of this device are impressive.

Very secure. Very stable.

One problem: I can't get it out of my receiver. I've loosened the bolt but it still won't budge. Suggestions?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry I don't know the answer to your question KRob.

But I've been using my 1UP for the past 2 months and I'm still in love with it. I use it to transport my road bike as well and I'll be flying down the freeway at 75 mph with strong winds with no concerns.

Going to be purchasing a add-on within the month as well!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I got mine last week and this thing is SOLID. I ordered the quick rack but held off on the add-on until I saw the thing in operation. As others have said it it stable. I will also be ordering the add-on soon. The wife's bike:

Last edited by campisi; 03-25-2012 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Just got my 1Up quick rack a few weeks ago and used it for the first time this weekend. Went together easily and works great. The build quality and engineering of this device are impressive.

Very secure. Very stable.

One problem: I can't get it out of my receiver. I've loosened the bolt but it still won't budge. Suggestions?
    Try hitting it with a mallet around where the metal ball is in the receiver. Mine was stuck when I first got it, but it's all good now.

mtbr member
    Try hitting it with a mallet around where the metal ball is in the receiver. Mine was stuck when I first got it, but it's all good now.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that this morning after reading your post without success. It looks like I may have inserted the rack too far into the receiver. Is that possible?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that this morning after reading your post without success. It looks like I may have inserted the rack too far into the receiver. Is that possible?
    That's possible, but unlikely since the ball isn't all the way at the end of the part which goes into the hitch. Continue with the mallet and maybe try some penetrating oil like Kroil. Could some water made it in there and froze?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The locking ball only needs to be inside the receiver 1", if I recall. You don't need to shove it all the way in. If it were in too far, it would be sticking out the front side of the receiver (you can crawl under and verify) but I doubt that's the problem. I also take and tap on the end of the piece that fits in the receiver where the security screw it but use a rubber mallet and don't whale on it. I think I'd also take the rack and twist it and move it side to side firmly with the tension wound all the way in on the ball.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Have you called 1Up to ask them their advice?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've had the same problem. I really had to beat on it with a rubber mallet and pull up and down on it to get it loosened. I also tried tightening it when it wasn't inserted into the hitch and couldn't get the ball to release then either when the bolt was loosened. Seems like maybe the ball is a tiny bit too small or something and pushes out too far and won't release.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    That's possible, but unlikely since the ball isn't all the way at the end of the part which goes into the hitch. Continue with the mallet and maybe try some penetrating oil like Kroil. Could some water made it in there and froze?
    No water. I installed it last Thursday night and went on a trip to St. George returning Saturday night. No rain, mud or dirt came in contact with the hitch (a little dust maybe from the trail head parking lot which was dirt but we were almost exclusively on paved roads)

I'll keep hitting it. Maybe try some penetrating oil.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Have you called 1Up to ask them their advice?
    Not yet. I sent them an email Saturday night but haven't heard anything yet. I'll call tomorrow if I don't get it out or hear from them.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Could the locking ball have inadvertently lined up with the hole for a traditional hitch pin becoming jammed.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Could the locking ball have inadvertently lined up with the hole for a traditional hitch pin becoming jammed.
    Yes, depending on how far you put the rack into the receiver. I put a mark on mine as a reminder not to insert past a specific point to avoid tightening the ball into the pin-hole.

Geez, no matter how I word anything, nothing sounds right. Anyhoo, my next suggestion would be to try some penetrating out, time, and more malleting.

Good luck.

Thunder the F@#k Up!
    Mar 2009
    I've been reading all of the positive reviews on this rack. I currently own the one car that for some odd reason neither Yakima nor Thule fit a roof rack for, which means the Yakima rack I've had for years is useless. Since I don't like or trust the trunk strapped racks, I'm going to go the hitch route. Luckily I've got a buddy who is a welder and is going to take care of the hitch for me for free. I've been looking at both the Yakima and Thule systems but the 1up is seeming to receive really rave reviews from all of you. A couple of quick questions. I only need a 1 bike set up and I'd really rather pay a bit more in order to have a higher quality product. Is the hitch mount a 2 or 1 1/4? Seems like it can fit on either size with an adapter (I assume) but I was curious as to the "unadapted" size. Also, it doesn't seem like anyone has had any issues with the way this system secures the bike to the tray via the arms over the tires. Has anyone had any issues with this coming loose or a bike falling off at all? As I look at the pictures I've just been wondering how secure it is without having any straps or any other securing type devices. Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm1024 View Post
    I've been reading all of the positive reviews on this rack. I currently own the one car that for some odd reason neither Yakima nor Thule fit a roof rack for, which means the Yakima rack I've had for years is useless. Since I don't like or trust the trunk strapped racks, I'm going to go the hitch route. Luckily I've got a buddy who is a welder and is going to take care of the hitch for me for free. I've been looking at both the Yakima and Thule systems but the 1up is seeming to receive really rave reviews from all of you. A couple of quick questions. I only need a 1 bike set up and I'd really rather pay a bit more in order to have a higher quality product. Is the hitch mount a 2 or 1 1/4? Seems like it can fit on either size with an adapter (I assume) but I was curious as to the "unadapted" size. Also, it doesn't seem like anyone has had any issues with the way this system secures the bike to the tray via the arms over the tires. Has anyone had any issues with this coming loose or a bike falling off at all? As I look at the pictures I've just been wondering how secure it is without having any straps or any other securing type devices. Thanks all!
    Yakima and Thule make some pretty solid systems, but there is too much plastic and steel going on for my taste. I'm hard on my stuff and I live in a coastal area so plastic ends up breaking and steel ends up rusting. 1UP is all SS and AL with no plastic parts. Very solid. Now onto your questions.

1UP makes both a 2" rack and a 1 1/4" rack. The 2" rack is a 2 bike rack with the ability to add 2 more trays (1 at a time maxing out at 4 bikes). The 1 1/4" rack is a 1 bike rack also with the ability to add 2 more trays (1 at a time maxing out at 3 bikes). The 1 1/4" rack comes with an adaptor to make it fit 2" racks as well.

The bikes coming loose has never been a problem. I've had both tires flat out on me during transport and no problems, even with highway speeds of 80+. When I got home the bike definitely wiggled a lot in the tray but there was no way it was going to go anywhere. If you are super paranoid you can always get some velcro straps or something, but I think they are unnecessary.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 551