Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    I use 1up on Honda Odyssey 2005 with what seems to be an exact same hitch. It barely clears the bumper when folded up (without a bike, obviously) - with hitch pushed all the way back. One can not push it all the way, then it will clear for sure.

Plenty of space for the rack and any bike when opened up in the working position.

If you ask me and willing to wait until I remember to do that - I can snap a photo of it in the folded position.
    Thanks! That would be great if you have time. My hitch is the Hidden Hitch Class 3 2" which is the same company as the Draw Tite.

I saw someone use a Curt hitch and that came a lot closer to the edge of the bumper..almost flush w/ the bumper. I don't remember what year. Too late to buy a Curt hitch instead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Received my Quik-Rack today. Construction and design is certainly top notch. I still would feel better (even if it's not justified) had they extended the receiving post a few extra inches and put the standard hole in it, but oh well.

Figured I'd do an un-boxing set of pictures on a current shipping variant. Not much has changed over the years it seems.

Oh yea, there is simply NO WAY someone could use a vise grips to unscrew the rack from the receiver hitch. However, removing an add-on rack could EASILY be accomplished with a vise grips. Securing the add-on racks to the main unit would be a necessity IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks! The pixs are very helpful showing how it look like close up.

I did notice that it looks like there are only two screws that holds the additional bike add-on. Also, if you don't mind, could you measure the length that I drew a red line next to in your pix?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That's correct, each add-on is only held on by the two bolts. They are beefy.

The piece you are referring to is 6" long, although if you account for the welding, it's only 5 3/4"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks HDClown!

mtbr member
    Excellent pics HDClown.

As for the roof-rack options, I called 1up today and asked about them. They are about 2 weeks away, they are waiting on some parts for them. I asked about price and was told to expect $189. I guess that's per tray and as for them working with the hitch mounting units, I didn't get a clear answer to that part, as they are working on it.

It would be nice for them to work with the hitch system as I could definitely see myself sending in my folding trays to be swapped out for the roof-rack mounted trays and simply reuse the two locking arms and hardware for the wheels in the future if I ever decide not to run a hitch on my next car which will be a MINI most likely and the WRX wagon would go to my younger brother. So swapping between roof and hitch mounts between the two cars would nice with the same set of trays.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNomadRider
    When you have a chance can you measure how long they are from bottom pivet to top ? I am thinking about having the machine shop next door to me to make some extensions. Thanks
    Here you can see the shorter arms, see how they don't meet almost in the middle by the black area?

The longer (current) arms meet like so:

As for their measurement from bottom pivot to the end of the arm is just slightly under 26.5 inches.
    konahonzo

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Excellent pics HDClown.

As for the roof-rack options, I called 1up today and asked about them. They are about 2 weeks away, they are waiting on some parts for them. I asked about price and was told to expect $189. I guess that's per tray and as for them working with the hitch mounting units, I didn't get a clear answer to that part, as they are working on it.

It would be nice for them to work with the hitch system as I could definitely see myself sending in my folding trays to be swapped out for the roof-rack mounted trays and simply reuse the two locking arms and hardware for the wheels in the future if I ever decide not to run a hitch on my next car which will be a MINI most likely and the WRX wagon would go to my younger brother. So swapping between roof and hitch mounts between the two cars would nice with the same set of trays.
    Yep, I got an email from them as well. I am on the wait list.

My second car, M-B R350, does not take hitch. Occasionally want to share one tray from my Odyssey.

mtbr member
    Yep, I got an email from them as well. I am on the wait list.

My second car, M-B R350, does not take hitch. Occasionally want to share one tray from my Odyssey.
    Did I miss anything that was mentioned in the email?
    konahonzo

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Did I miss anything that was mentioned in the email?
    No not really.

But to be honest, they have expected this version by last summer, never got around producing. Lets see what happens.

I assume that is the same version that is shown in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What's the steel ball for where you slide it into the hitch receiver?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    What's the steel ball for where you slide it into the hitch receiver?
    That's the beauty of this rack. Have you not read up on it? It's also why others have mentioned that you only need to insert the ball 1" into the receiver. It's the retention device that holds the rack onto your car and eliminates the hassle of a hitch pin. You do not need to insert the ball to the point where it meets the hitch pin hole in your receiver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I need to check out my hitch receiver closer than and see if there's a hole on my receiver where this ball can lock on. I never really paid close attention to it or used it since installationing it a few weeks back.

I would imagine it's similar to how a socket wrenches work with the ball being depress when installing a socket and pops back into the half circle grove in the socket.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The ball doesn't lock into a hole. It just wedges into the receiver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    As for the roof-rack options, I called 1up today and asked about them. They are about 2 weeks away, they are waiting on some parts for them.
    Post some pix if and when anyone gets the roof rack. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron10101; 03-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I need to check out my hitch receiver closer than and see if there's a hole on my receiver where this ball can lock on. I never really paid close attention to it or used it since installationing it a few weeks back.

I would imagine it's similar to how a socket wrenches work with the ball being depress when installing a socket and pops back into the half circle grove in the socket.
    You do not need a hole. It wedges into a corner and locks the rack in place. Seems to be rock solid.

Bike rack does not get a lot, if any, of lengthwise directed load.

That is the whole point that the rack is light, foldable, and installs, due to this locking solution, in seconds. My wife can do it, without much trouble, with a single rack. So you do not carry around many pounds of dead weight that you use occasionally (and that eats about 1% of you fuel all the time, just from the weight alone).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You're imagining wrong. As I and others have mentioned, ball presses against the wall of the receiver tube, locking the rack into place. No need to line anything up. In fact, if you were to line up the ball with the hole (which wouldn't really work because the ball presses against the corner of the tube), it would defeat the purpose altogether.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    [QUOTE=JimmyNeutron10101]
    As for the roof-rack options, I called 1up today and asked about them. They are about 2 weeks away, they are waiting on some parts for them.QUOTE]

Post some pix if and when anyone gets the roof rack. Thanks in advance!
    This is when they first started working on the roof trays about two years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad
    You're imagining wrong. As I and others have mentioned, ball presses against the wall of the receiver tube, locking the rack into place. No need to line anything up. In fact, if you were to line up the ball with the hole (which wouldn't really work because the ball presses against the corner of the tube), it would defeat the purpose altogether.
    Here's a picture of the ball. It wedges up in the corner of the receiver not in the hole. You need to have the ball at least 1" into the receiver. It holds very tightly with no wobble. It's both a retention device and an anti wobble device.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80

This is when they first started working on the roof trays about two years ago.

I officially hate you - until I get my own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here's a picture of the ball. It wedges up in the corner of the receiver not in the hole. You need to have the ball at least 1" into the receiver. It holds very tightly with no wobble. It's both a retention device and an anti wobble device.
    Not exactly sure how the ball actually create a tighter fit. Once you insert it into the hitch receiver, the ball presses again the hitch receiver corner, but if the rack wobble around, doesn't the ball get push in??? unless the ball is NOT on some sort of spring and is stationary, then how would that different from just having no ball there at all since all 4 sides will be in contact w/ the inside of the hitch receiver? Basically, the bigger the surface contact, the less wobble you will get and a ball contact in a corner is small vs a flat surface to a flat surface.

Or is it when you turn the bolt to secure it, the ball actually gets pushed up against the hitch receiver and harder you turn bolt w/ the allen wrench, the harder the ball is pushed up against the corner of the hitch receiver? In this case, then it will make more sense.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron10101; 03-29-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Or is it when you turn the bolt to secure it, the ball actually gets pushed up against the hitch receiver and harder you turn bolt w/ the allen wrench, the harder the ball is pushed up against the corner of the hitch receiver? In this case, then it will make more sense.
    Exactly. Allen bolt wedges the ball into the corner. Works very very nicely.

You can not do that with a regular trailer, as they will pull out eventually. But a bike rack does not pull out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not exactly sure how the ball actually create a tighter fit. Once you insert it into the hitch receiver, the ball presses again the hitch receiver corner, but if the rack wobble around, doesn't the ball get push in??? unless the ball is NOT on some sort of spring and is stationary, then how would that different from just having no ball there at all since all 4 sides will be in contact w/ the inside of the hitch receiver? Basically, the bigger the surface contact, the less wobble you will get and a ball contact in a corner is small vs a flat surface to a flat surface.

There is no spring. When you turn the nut with the special wrench, it cranks the ball tighter into the corner of the hitch. It is rock solid, does not move and does not wobble. Besides that, it goes on fast and easy. Also, it does not loosen.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I officially hate you - until I get my own.
    Sorry.

I'm wondering what mechanism he is going to use to connect the trays to the load bars. The way mine goes on is with a thick aluminum plate and 4 3/8" nuts that you have to turn for each bar. For two bars, that's 16 nuts to tighten. Didn't like that part.

J.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Sorry.

I'm wondering what mechanism he is going to use to connect the trays to the load bars. The way mine goes on is with a thick aluminum plate and 4 3/8" nuts that you have to turn for each bar. For two bars, that's 16 nuts to tighten. Didn't like that part.

J.
    My wish is it is something that I can leave permanently connected to the bars, while I use the rack on a hitch. I do put up crossbars on only occasionally, as I usually just throw my bike inside on that car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You could do that. My rack is on my car almost all year long. Winter it has a ski box typically through March. End of March the bike stuff goes on. So, I need it to come off. The easier on and off the better.

j.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So everyone that bought a 1ups rack is 100% sure when the roof mount support comes out, the bike rack is not going to change in some minor way?

I'm waiting for the roof rack to come out before I jump on the band wagon and order myself a 1ups. I just want to make sure they don't make any minor changes to the rack for a better fit.

Besides, I haven't even decided on a bike for myself yet and my order for the SC Juliana is another 6 weeks out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here you can see the shorter arms, see how they don't meet almost in the middle by the black area?

The longer (current) arms meet like so:

As for their measurement from bottom pivot to the end of the arm is just slightly under 26.5 inches.
    Cool, Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about not meeting in the middle and i measure mine and its barely 22.5" And i am not sure i could add 4" because of the way the older model is designed.

I am not sure who i was talking to at 1up but even he admitted it was not the best customer service but when i asked him about making some adapters or something to make mine fit a 29er his response was "We are to busy and do not have time so you should list/sell it on ebay and buy a new one as there are plenty of guy's that will buy it for $40 less than a new one" Not really sure what to think of that.

I will say one thing i really like about my older version is the hitch set-up, instead of the ball system there is a button that snaps in one side of the hole for the pin and on the other side is a special key that puts pressure on the rack to receiver so it not only stops the wobble but is a good anti theft devise. I will say either rack is a very,very impressive piece of art i am proud to mount my bike to i just wish they were willing to help me extend mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am not sure who i was talking to at 1up but even he admitted it was not the best customer service but when i asked him about making some adapters or something to make mine fit a 29er his response was "We are to busy and do not have time so you should list/sell it on ebay and buy a new one as there are plenty of guy's that will buy it for $40 less than a new one" Not really sure what to think of that.
    Sounds like it was probably Robbie. He is the peson who replied to a few of my e-mails and his customer service skills where less then stellar. It seems others have talked directly with Carl himself, the guy who started 1up, and he seemed much more willing to go the extra mile for people.

I will say one thing i really like about my older version is the hitch set-up, instead of the ball system there is a button that snaps in one side of the hole for the pin and on the other side is a special key that puts pressure on the rack to receiver so it not only stops the wobble but is a good anti theft devise. I will say either rack is a very,very impressive piece of art i am proud to mount my bike to i just wish they were willing to help me extend mine.
    Could you post a picture of your older version hitch configuration?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anyone been rear-ended with their 1up attached??? I have. :-(

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    Has anyone been rear-ended with their 1up attached??? I have. :-(
    You got yourself a new hitch, based on the latest design and hitch receiver! Just remember, insurance companies, yours and the guy insurance company, will always try to screw you over and short change you.

I got rear ended(no bike rack installed or hitch) and my mistake was not seeing the doctors more then once. See a doctor, a chiropracter, a massage therapist, etc...

Yes, I'm getting screw somewhat by the guy's insurance company who rear ended me. They try to trick you into signing a release waiver asap. Just remember, you have 2 years from the date of the accident to sue..at least in CA.

And, lastly, they will say some of your medical bills will not be cover...just tell them, it doesn't matter, all you know is you're in pain and you're seeing the doctor regardless of what the insurance company say. At the end, we'll let the court decide what bills are cover and what are not. That will shut them up. LOL!!!
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron10101; 03-30-2011 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Yeah, I think you are having the same misunderstanding that other people are. The ball is not designed to snap into the hitch pin hole in the receiver. It is not analogous to the ball-detent on a ratchet wrench. The ball is supposed to exert pressure on the wall of the receiver tube. In fact, if you were to line up directly with the hitch pin hole, you would have less retention force than if you were to avoid it.

Of course, I could be totally misunderstanding what you are describing, so pics of this setup would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes, if you look at the pictures of the part that fits in the receiver, you'll notice that the ball does not even line up with the location of the hitch pin hole, it's up in the corner.

@SoCalNomadRider - Are you saying that the earlier racks had a far different design? If so, would love to see a picture.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, I think you are having the same misunderstanding that other people are. The ball is not designed to snap into the hitch pin hole in the receiver. It is not analogous to the ball-detent on a ratchet wrench. The ball is supposed to exert pressure on the wall of the receiver tube. In fact, if you were to line up directly with the hitch pin hole, you would have less retention force than if you were to avoid it.

Of course, I could be totally misunderstanding what you are describing, so pics of this setup would be great.

Sorry for the confusion but i totally understand how the new ones do not go in deep enough or even line up with the pin hole and rely on pressure to lock it in, I was just saying my older version is waaay different and does lock in to hole for the pin on one side.

I am leaving work now and will take some pictures when i get there

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yes, if you look at the pictures of the part that fits in the receiver, you'll notice that the ball does not even line up with the location of the hitch pin hole, it's up in the corner.

@SoCalNomadRider - Are you saying that the earlier racks had a far different design? If so, would love to see a picture.

J.
    Yes the earlier one i have actually has a aluminum button that locks in one side of the hole for the pin (which honestly i feel more safe then current setup but it works) then a special key you slide in the other hole and tighten which puts pressure against the inside of receiver making impossible to take off with key or whole hitch.

I am on my way home and will take some pictures

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What are some of you folks using for locks/cables with your 1up? I'm going to get a Kryptonite U-Lock to secure the 1up to the hitch loop, but I also want something to secure the bikes as well. Could just go with a basic looped cable, or an actual cable lock like a Kryptonite Hardwire.

I'm primarily after a basic visual deterrent. In general, the bikes would only be unattended for an hour during breakfast, lunch or dinner... low crime areas. I'd like to double over my purchase if possible to be used without the rack for locking the bike up to a bike rack outside some establishment as well. So I was leaning towards a full cable lock, as opposed to a looped wire.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HDClown
    What are some of you folks using for locks/cables with your 1up? I'm going to get a Kryptonite U-Lock to secure the 1up to the hitch loop, but I also want something to secure the bikes as well. Could just go with a basic looped cable, or an actual cable lock like a Kryptonite Hardwire.

I'm primarily after a basic visual deterrent. In general, the bikes would only be unattended for an hour during breakfast, lunch or dinner... low crime areas. I'd like to double over my purchase if possible to be used without the rack for locking the bike up to a bike rack outside some establishment as well. So I was leaning towards a full cable lock, as opposed to a looped wire.
    I just use a thick cable. It is a deterrent, not a foolproof solution.

Nice thing about 1up, is that it is so easy to take the rack off, and throw it into your garage, or inside the car, so no need to worry about losing the rack itself.

When parked for a long time I always throw bikes inside the car anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use a chain with a cover from bikeregistery.com. If you guys are serious about deterrent use only, then I don't see why you'd bother paying more for a name brand setup. Their kits are really pretty cheap and come custom lengths.

Locking the rack itself seems unnecessary for the reasons people have mentioned.

I'm looking forward to pics of the older setup. Seems interesting, but I fail to see how it's "better." If by turning the key from the opposite side of the ball pushes the ball into the hitch pin hole for retention, then the only thing that is providing force is the circumference of the ball which is able to fit into the hitch pin. There is a lot more surface area between the ball and the receiver tube wall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    [QUOTE
    I'm looking forward to pics of the older setup. Seems interesting, but I fail to see how it's "better." If by turning the key from the opposite side of the ball pushes the ball into the hitch pin hole for retention, then the only thing that is providing force is the circumference of the ball which is able to fit into the hitch pin. There is a lot more surface area between the ball and the receiver tube wall.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if it is necessarily better but i do feel a little safer knowing there is something on the bike rack (button) going directly thru the hole on the receiver in the event some how the locking mechanism was to fail.

Also note how the 1 1/4" adapter slides off then when used in 2" receiver it has another button that locks in the hitch pin hole then gets tightened with special key as well.

And sorry for crappy pictures but camera is acting up so i had to use my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-hr1.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-hr2.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-hr3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Double post

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Is that pin spring loaded? That is a clever idea for sure. The fact that it's an actual pin rather than the ball seems like a better plan, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Is that pin spring loaded? That is a clever idea for sure. The fact that it's an actual pin rather than the ball seems like a better plan, too.
    Yes exactly, It is spring loaded.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Yes exactly, It is spring loaded.
    I should say I prefer the current setup. It jams the receiver in both vertical and horizontal direction, and it certainly easier to use and harder to set wrong.

I did not notice it getting any loose whatsoever even after long and fairly rough road trips. I would be more worried on not getting a pin into a hole when hooking the rack back - as I do take it off every single use: which I consider the main advantage of the system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mine came in today

This beauty is made of 100% aluminum in the USA. It folds up to almost nothing and is feather light at about 30 lbs. The entire rack was shipped fully assembled.

The rack took a whole 30 seconds to install and is held in place with a antitheft expander bolt that prevents swaying. If the rack is ever stolen 1 up will replace it at no charge.

Folds up to an extremely small profile on the vehicle.

Bike can be loaded in seconds and is held securely in place without ever touching the frame. The carrier can accommodate all tire sizes.

Finally the rack folds away fully loaded to allow access to rear hatches and trunks.

I can not find a single fault with this rack. It's like a work of art and is expertly manufactured. Best bike related purchase I ever made. Highly recommend it

mtbr member
    Nice pics.

And to answer a previous comment, I ended up buying this and this to lock the rack to the hitch and the bikes as well.

Also ordered some 24"x2" velcro cinch straps for the wheel trays, probably over doing it but might come in handy if I ever get a flat and limit the movement of the bikes on the rack.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice pics.

And to answer a previous comment, I ended up buying this and this to lock the rack to the hitch and the bikes as well.

Also ordered some 24"x2" velcro cinch straps for the wheel trays, probably over doing it but might come in handy if I ever get a flat and limit the movement of the bikes on the rack.
    My rack had a velco strap included in the box. The bike is so secure I did not use it.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I did ask them about the flat question, and they said the rack would still secure the bike just fine.

I am close to pulling the trigger on this. At first I didn't like the fact that for a 2" hitch, I had to use an adapter. But my fiancee's car can only accommodate the smaller hitch (I think) so we may install that on her car and then have one rack for the both of us.

mtbr member
    They include the strap to attach the rack to the the hitch chain loops for extra security. Guess they had a couple guys not tighten the receiver bolt properly so they decided to add the strap.
    Too many toys, not enough time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phierce
    They include the strap to attach the rack to the the hitch chain loops for extra security. Guess they had a couple guys not tighten the receiver bolt properly so they decided to add the strap.
    I fail to see how a 20" velcro cinch strap would be extra security for keeping the rack plus a bike on it from sliding out. That's why I bought a Kryptonite U-Lock. Now it's really not going anywhere and I can sleep at night. Using the velcro strap there just seems silly.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Used the 1up today for the first time. Very easy to use (as expected). Bikes hold in place very well. Did not observe much flexing going on in the rack itself in terms of up and down movement. Bikes move slightly forward/back (in relation to the car), but very solid in general.

Pictures on our 2006 Acura MDX (with Curt 2" Hitch). My bike is a 29er, wife's bike has 26 wheels

Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast