Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    One datapoint does not equal a trend. Blanket statements condemning an entire company on the basis of one experience are not responsible. Keeping it in context is important.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tazdevl
    I personally haven't bought one of their racks because I felt the communication was rather poor both by email and phone... I was going to pick up 4 trays. Customers and potential customers deserve good service, which is even more critical when word of mouth has a much greater impact on the success of a product.
    Dang, people are seriously spoiled in U.S.

When I want something, I just go and get it. I go not expect a shoulder rub and a vase of flowers on top. No need to go bonkers over a phone call.

Now, the real problem is that is no sign of roof top compatible trays that they thought they will get back in June. They answered my e-mails promptly allright.

I would much rather have an item in hand then a pleasant conversation.

mtbr member
    I have had my 1Up for just over a week, and all I can say is wow. It does what I expected and does it looking very cool. Saw a Kuat today on the back of a Exterra, very cool looking and it had integrated locking cables. But the wheel holders were plastic, well, that's what they looked like. If so, good for this year but after that I am pretty sure here in Tennessee the summer heat and sun will have their way with them. 1 Up, all aluminum. No such issues! Yes, after I ordered it they did take my money and no I did not hear from them. WHo cares? All that really matters is I have a bike rack that was designed to last at least my lifetime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I received mine today and hooked it up in about 10 minutes which includes one attachment for a second bike. Took my time to make sure all parts were working. This rack is as advertised, high grade material, looks and feels strong, should last forever. Easily mounted to hitch and easy to mount bike. Bikes seem pretty secure, went on a test drive at about 65mph top speed to test for vibration or any loose ends. None found. My first experience with this rack was with my buddy who recommended it.

And FWIW to the guy who received bad customer service from 1upUsa, sorry dude, seems like your situation sucked, but I kept in contact with them because of your post and they were pretty awesome to deal with. They do charge you though before its ready for shipment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've had my rack on my car for a few weeks now and I get comments on it all the time. Definitely the best rack out there in every single category (except price of course, but the value makes up for that). There's nothing more functional, better looking, more durable or better designed for longevity.

As for the comments in this thread regarding bad customer service, I don't think it's going to have any effect on 1Up's reputation. Anyone reading this thread can see that those are unwarranted criticisms and that the quality of this rack is bar-none.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've had nothing but incredible customer service from 1upusa. They were fast and courteous. Resolved my issue and exceeded my expectations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    No need to go bonkers over a phone call.
    Who's bonkers bud? I just elected not to buy it based on the lack of communication. Pretty simple and unemotional.

Sounds like my experience and the other are outliers. In the end gang... it's just a bike rack and not worth getting worked up over.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm really glad this was posted after I purchased mine or I may have passed on 1up and purchased a different brand. I still find the view from the rear view mirror a bit disconcerting so I try not to look. Loading and unloading bikes is amazingly simple but I still have to adjust the horizontal position of the bikes to minimize interference. I typically get 3 bikes loaded for every one bike loaded by others at the trail head without effort.

I recently had one problem though. One of the locking clips was sticky and didn't fully engage. I was driving down the highway and saw the outermost bike moving side to side, I figured it was paranoia on my part and refused to look back anymore. When I got home one of the wheel support arms was about 4" away from the wheel and the bike was able to freely roll side to side on the rail, the locking clip did not fully engage and was a bit "sticky", didn't freely pivot about the bolt. I loosened up the fastener on the locking clip and now make sure they are fully engaged by pulling outward on the wheel support arms after I load the bikes to ensure the locking clip has properly engaged.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped
    I still find the view from the rear view mirror a bit disconcerting so I try not to look.
    Same here. I get nervous watching the bikes bounce up and down everytime I hit bumps or undulations in the road just right. I know "it's supposed to bounce like that", but sometimes it just looks like it's going to be too much to handle. Knock on wood....hasn't been too much to handle yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Whenever I look in the rear view mirror I try to think of the wing of an airplane, they bounce all over the place during taxi, take off and landing and thankfully, rarely fail.

mtbr member
    Are these still on 2 week lead time? I'm thinking of placing an order for one, but it's going to suck waiting for it to ship if that's still the case. Does anyone have a good picture facing the rear of the vehicle of what the rack looks like with only 1 tray and folded up? I'm going to put it on my Dodge Charger. I like the idea of only using 1 tray and having a low profile rack when folded up. 95% of the time I'm just carrying 1 bike.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Tree Crasher
    It says in red type to allow two weeks for your order to ship. I don't know what all the confusion is about.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop
    It says in red type to allow two weeks for your order to ship. I don't know what all the confusion is about.
    It's not confusion. I get it. I'm willing to wait if it's as good of a rack as everyone says. I was just saying it will suck. I'm an impatient man.

I just wish they made em in black to match my black car.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My experience with 1UP has been stellar. I have had the rack for a year and wanted the new longer 29er swing arms. They sent out a prepaid shipping label for both base and extensions. Kept it just for a few days and sent back the upgrade rack and some stronger end base plate for 3+ racks.. Absolutely no cost to me and free shipping both ways. Just amazing service.

On the other hand, I am having some issues with a bike light CC return and most folks love the service Go figure. Perhaps these small companies just have off periods/vacations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    It's not confusion. I get it. I'm willing to wait if it's as good of a rack as everyone says. I was just saying it will suck. I'm an impatient man.

I just wish they made em in black to match my black car.
    It does suck to have to wait, I agree. However, it is totally worth it. If no one has gotten around to it, I'll get a pic of a single folded up. I did see one someplace so try searching the old threads. It is very nice how low profile it is.

I also agree with the color option. Since the rack comes clear anodized with some colored bits, why not another color? I mean, it would cost more but I bet they could charge a lot more than their production cost; something tells me cyclists are just vain enough to pay the extra cost

Also, I wouldn't worry about the movement. It really is minimal. A friend had my rack on their car and I followed it (with my bike) for the better part of 200+ miles on not so good roads and you couldn't see anything moving or shaking. It just seems worse in the car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad
    It does suck to have to wait, I agree. However, it is totally worth it. If no one has gotten around to it, I'll get a pic of a single folded up. I did see one someplace so try searching the old threads. It is very nice how low profile it is.

I also agree with the color option. Since the rack comes clear anodized with some colored bits, why not another color? I mean, it would cost more but I bet they could charge a lot more than their production cost; something tells me cyclists are just vain enough to pay the extra cost

Also, I wouldn't worry about the movement. It really is minimal. A friend had my rack on their car and I followed it (with my bike) for the better part of 200+ miles on not so good roads and you couldn't see anything moving or shaking. It just seems worse in the car.
    +1. Good description.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If they did offer colors, I would still chose what they are shipping today. The Type II anodizing, which can do all the colors, it really a pretty fragile surface as compared to the Type III, which is typically black or green, and a lot more expense too.

Over time, the edges and certainly the trays would remove the TYPE II color and just looked awful,IMHO. The base AL might look boring, but it never get any worst looking. And really fit my desire for fuction over fashion. And one they I did not like about the KUAT painted surfaces- too fragile. Dirt wheels are like sandpaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skoor
    If they did offer colors, I would still chose what they are shipping today. The Type II anodizing, which can do all the colors, it really a pretty fragile surface as compared to the Type III, which is typically black or green, and a lot more expense too.

Over time, the edges and certainly the trays would remove the TYPE II color and just looked awful,IMHO. The base AL might look boring, but it never get any worst looking. And really fit my desire for fuction over fashion. And one they I did not like about the KUAT painted surfaces- too fragile. Dirt wheels are like sandpaper.
    Well I just want black to match my black Dodge Charger.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Well I just want black to match my black Dodge Charger.
    That's what is good about this particular rack - you just take it off when it is not used with a bike, fold it, and keep in the garage (or trunk). No need to ride around with a 100lb contraption hanging on your car all the time.

I am rather sure that if I had a permanently attached rear rack on my Odyssey, my wife would back into somebody with it. Takes me a minute to put 1up on only when needed - no messing with hitch pins either.

Now, where is my roof compatible tray? How did JohnJ80 score his pair?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy

I am rather sure that if I had a permanently attached rear rack on my Odyssey, my wife would back into somebody with it. Takes me a minute to put 1up on only when needed - no messing with hitch pins either.

Amen to that...

I always take the rack off of our Odyssey when not in use.

Unfortunately our 2000 Odyssey's tranny is crapping out so we're patiently waiting for the 2011's to come out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped
    Amen to that...

I always take the rack off of our Odyssey when not in use.

Unfortunately our 2000 Odyssey's tranny is crapping out so we're patiently waiting for the 2011's to come out.
    slightly off topic...
    LOL, not really, sorry to hear as my 99' Odyssey also bit the tranny dust this past March. It was the second one and seeing that some of the 05's and on also had the same problem I stayed away.
    Driving the new swagger wagon (siena) and loving it.

As I've had more time with the rack, it is slightly more convenient compared to my last Yak. I still need to carry a tool to remove, and if reefed on there is a ton of force required to remove, especially the additional carriers as they do not seem to have the same amount of play in them when attaching on. It's a heavy "snap" and then released so be prepared or you get a nasty bruise on your wrist somewhere.
    But then you do feel that they will never come off, seeing that a lot of us have worried about the security of the rack staying put. All in all I love the convenience of not having to try to hoop a fully onto small bars to fit.

Phil from San Diego
    I've been asking 1UpUSA about a black version and the word I got since June was that they are planning to make a batch of black anodized version soon as they get more parts. It'll cost maybe $20 more.

So I've been waiting and calling every few weeks... and it just looks like they are so backed up with orders that they can't set aside parts to do the batch of black racks.

As far as the anodizing might wear off... I've thought about that. and i don't know what type of anodizing they use. Anyway, I'll call them again later this week and see what's up. I've waited 3 months for the black racks... maybe I'll give in and just get the current version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What size hitch are you guys using with this rack, a 1 1/4 or a 2"? Does anyone have any comments about the adapter or whatever is required to make it fit a 2" hitch?

I need to put a hitch on my Civic and I was originally going to go with a 2" hitch to be more universal, but if this rack works better in a 1 1/4" I may consider going that route instead.
    Last edited by TsukubaSteve; 09-07-2010 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine today. Now the waiting game begins. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship. I can't wait to stop using the trunk rack on my car. I might actually get some use out of my trunk now that I won't have to take the rack off to get into it.

Those who have ordered from 1up, do they email you with a tracking number when it does ship, or was it just a wait and see, surprised to find it when you got home 1 day kind of thing?
    LMB

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TsukubaSteve
    What size hitch are you guys using with this rack, a 1 1/4 or a 2"? Does anyone have any comments about the adapter or whatever is required to make it fit a 2" hitch?

I need to put a hitch on my Civic and I was originally going to go with a 2" hitch to be more universal, but if this rack works better in a 1 1/4" I may consider going that route instead.
    I have a Fit and I installed a 1 1/4" hitch. I've used the rack with their supplied adapter in a 2" hitch and it works fine. There was no functional difference between the two.

Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast