Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Phil from San Diego
    Quote Originally Posted by okiemtnbkr
    Looks like the black racks are available now. I like the silver one on my grey car, but for those of you who can't live without black.... they are $50 more:

http://1upusa.com/1upusarackblack.htm

Those black racks look SWEET! but I'm balking at the $350 for single and $250 for additional add-on... $500 to hold 2... or $850 for 3... yikes...

Are the locking tool/bolts universal or does each rack come with a slightly different tool/bolt? (I'm talking about the bolt that locks the rack into the hitches.) Don't like the idea that if they are universal, someone could walk up, cut a cable and load the rack with bike(s) onto their truck and be gone in 20 seconds!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    Those black racks look SWEET! but I'm balking at the $350 for single and $250 for additional add-on... $500 to hold 2... or $850 for 3... yikes...

Are the locking tool/bolts universal or does each rack come with a slightly different tool/bolt? (I'm talking about the bolt that locks the rack into the hitches.) Don't like the idea that if they are universal, someone could walk up, cut a cable and load the rack with bike(s) onto their truck and be gone in 20 seconds!
    It's $600 to hold 2, not $500.
    Last edited by eurospek; 03-20-2011 at 09:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005

That was one of my concernes as well but after reading there site i came across this and it is another positive leaning me towards spending the cash.

"1up USA provides the anti-theft security tool needed for the 5 second job. To remove the Quik-Rack just loosen the anti-theft security expender bolt (1-2 turns) and remove the Quik-Rack from the hitch. The one-of-a-kind anti-theft security tool and expender bolt prevents rack or Add-On theft. We are so confident that our security system will prevent rack theft that if your Quik-Rack is stolen off your vehicle we will replace it for FREE!"

Especially the part about them replacing for free if it is ever stolen wow

But am still debating over the raxter found here http://www.bikerackshops.com/RX11046.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The price is worth every penny once you've had a chance to use it. As for the locking system, the size is universal. I guess if someone had the same size security allen wrench they could steal it but it seems like a strange thing to spend time worrying about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Some one here figured out a way to u-lock the carrier onto the hitch that looked really clean and simple. That would sort of be the uber-lock method. I sure wouldn't worry about this rack getting stolen in most typical situations.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Some one here figured out a way to u-lock the carrier onto the hitch that looked really clean and simple. That would sort of be the uber-lock method. I sure wouldn't worry about this rack getting stolen in most typical situations.

J.
    I read through this entire post and didn't catch that, maybe I just missed it. Any chance you can point out where it's described, or where someone took pictures?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HDClown
    I read through this entire post and didn't catch that, maybe I just missed it. Any chance you can point out where it's described, or where someone took pictures?
    I came across this old thread with pictures showing the u-lock (post #26) 1UpUSA rack - lots of photos and small review

I am still on the fence between the 1up or raxter. My biggest dilemma is for the $299 price tag single 1up i can get a two bike raxter tarsus but does not appear to have the quality or warranty aarrgghhh decisions,decision's i have the money but am a cheap arse haha i want to order something this week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I did end up finding on flickr via a google search the guy who had his locked up with a u-lock. Here's the best shot from the album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecen...n/photostream/

I really like the rack, but there is one thing that really bugs, me and that is no receiver hit ***** hole in the mounting bar. 1Up could simply extend that bar an extra 2 inches and put a standard size receiver pin hole in there. It could be optional for people to use and provide another mechanism against theft (hitch pin w/lock). No traditional anti-theft mechanism for the rack itself bugs me. Anti-theft allen keys are easy to buy, and a simple vise-grip will let you unscrew the bolt.

Additional, even though I've read tons of reviews of how the carrier doesn't move, It really bothers me that the only thing holding the carrier into the receiver is a wedge fit from the small face of a ball against a flat piece of steel. I'm having personal issues trusting that by itself. So much that I can't convince myself to buy the rack.

I actually e-mailed Carl and asked if he could custom make me a unit with a mounting bar that was extended with a pin. If he is willing to do that, and the extra price isn't high, I'm going to buy one; Carl has done customizations for at least one other mtbr.com member: 1up Rack Mod . So I'm hoping he's willing to do one for me.

I've looked at the Yakima Hold Up and Thule T2 916XTR and each has one big thing that bugs me, but those things aren't as big as the one thing that bugs me about the 1Up. The only other rack I'm considering is Kuat NV and I haven't seen it in person yet. There is 1 local dealer, so I'm hoping they have one in stock for me to check out.

Right now, there is nothing that bugs me about the Kuat NV, so if I had to pull the trigger, I'd probably be getting that, but the way the 1Up lets you use a single rack at a time, and especially the way it folks for storage would be huge for me, since I will frequently be going out by myself, and the rack will generally only be used on weekends, so that means sitting in the garage.

mtbr member
    ^ Keep us updated. The wedge system of locking itself into the hitch is also the only part I don't like about this rack. And the price.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I've looked at the Yakima Hold Up and Thule T2 916XTR and each has one big thing that bugs me, but those things aren't as big as the one thing that bugs me about the 1Up. The only other rack I'm considering is Kuat NV and I haven't seen it in person yet. There is 1 local dealer, so I'm hoping they have one in stock for me to check out.
    What are the "one big thing"s about the Thule and Yakima?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hey HDClown, That was something that kind of bugged me as well but kind of eased my mind reading there site and found where they are so confident in there security system that if the rack is ever stolen they will replace it for free (not sure how that really works) And either rack i buy there will most likely be a cable running around my bike to receiver when mounted.

I also looked at the stick up and doublerack in person locally but really do not like the idea of rubbing the frame on my bikes so really want one that supports by the wheels. I think today i am pulling the trigger on the Raxter stinger found here http://www.ultimatebikehitch.com/p2-...itch-Rack.html , i was going to buy the double version (tarsus) but really only need a single.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I know I posted somewhere back in this thread. Still incredibly pleased with my 1Up. For me, the main two reasons continue to be its materials and the modularity.

All the other mentioned racks use quite a bit of plastic in their design. Here in AZ, the sun will eventually kill that plastic. All the other racks I've used seem cheap and ill-built relative to the 1Up.

The modularity really is the thing for me. Most often, I'm only transporting one bike. It's so much more convenient for me to have a smaller, lighter rack and be able to expand it when needed.

Yep, it's expensive. This thing really is a work of art though. The only thing I would do differently is to have bought one years ago before spending money on other racks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The wedge system holds up fine. It's definitely not coming out of the hitch when it's engaged no matter what.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Received an e-mail back form 1Up (Robbie, as opposed to Carl) and it was basically pretty short. Summarized as "the hitch won't come out, we don't do any customization". Maybe I'll reach out to the person who got Carl to custom fab him something, and see if there is some other channel I need to go through.

mtbr member
    So after reading this thread numerous times and all the reviews elsewhere on this site, I'm going to be ordering this rack in a 2-bike setup tonight.

At first I was pretty set on buying the new 2011 Thule T2 917XTR from a vendor on here for $360 shipped. I liked the rack, but I didn't love it. Looks bulky, weighs a ton, all steel and plastic, not too mention the locking arm over the front tire and only a rear wheel strap doesn't seem to do it for me. And it definitely did not win any Mtbr.com awards or have such high 4.9x/5.00 ratings like the 1up does.

I had the Thule T2 in a cart last night but couldn't make myself check out, went back to reading this thread and the black anodized version of the 1up Quik-Rack definitely sparked some interest when I first saw it, but I couldn't stomach the $240 difference between it and the T2, and like some of the recent posters I wasn't completely sold on the hitch locking mechanism. Every other hitch has some sort of anti-wobble/locking bolt that goes through it to eliminate it slipping out.

Called 1up today in the morning and asked a couple of questions, first one was if there is any better pricing, but of course that was a no. Okay, I'm one to spend a little more when needed if I'm going to be getting a good product. Second, I asked about the expanding ball mechanism and they've never had a failure of it slipping out. Plus locking the rack to the hitch with a U-Lock will be a pretty ghetto-method of preventing something like this ever happening.

And lastly, I asked about shipping times and color selection. I kinda need this rack rather now than later and they ship the next day. After sleeping on my decision last night, I was ready to stomach the $600 for the black version, until I was told the last black was sold this weekend, and they are expecting more black in 3+ weeks. Plus paying $100 for simply a black color can be spent much better on a cable chain with lock for bike security and a U-Lock for hitch security, and some velcro wheel straps. Plus the silver will blend a lot better on my silver WRX wagon.

There's a few things that sold me on this rack, but the biggest factor was the amount of people on here that raved about it, then comes its lifetime warranty, and lastly its construction and weight. Like most have said, I hope this will be the last bike rack that I will ever buy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    drink the kool-aid euro...

kidding aside it is the best rack out there. My LBS reps Thule, gives me discounts on all my parts etc.but I still got it. You'll love the silver,makes the col ano parts stand out. It just works simply and looks way cool doing it. Best $500 I spent aside from my new brakes last year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think if you look at the pictures of how the current screw activated retention mechanism you'd see that there must be a screw or some sort of a shaft running down the center of most of the hitch mechanism to connect the screw with the ball that pops out to lock the receiver into place. This being the case it seems like it would impossible to put a hitch pin through that area without braking compatibility with the original mechanism.

A hitch pin by itself will likely have the bike rack rocking and bouncing around more than you like due to the free play between the receiver tube and receiver shaft. As such I can't say I'm surprised 1Up didn't entertain your request.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    ^ Keep us updated. The wedge system of locking itself into the hitch is also the only part I don't like about this rack. And the price.
    In life you get what you pay for and it's a rule that holds true in most circumstances.
    I came from a yak rack with said hitch pins that some of you are so enamored with. Sure it'll never come loose, but it will rock and rattle constantly the entire bloody trip. The cam/wedge when tightened is how should I say it, solid. There is no movement whatsoever, like it was part of the receiver. If you're not confident it the fact of it's integrity then don't buy it. I know it isn't the rack for everyone, but hey there are numerous members here that have put this rack through hell and back on rough and bumpy roads doing stupid speeds with no issues.
    To each their own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

My search is over.......

Talk about timing WOW, After debating the last couple days on which one to buy my choice was made for me today when i came across,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yep you guessed it a 1up quick rack on craigslist haha - Now it is the older version before the one they have now but appears to only have minor changes and the only one i need to address is extending the arms on one of the trays to get a little higher on my 29er tires. it is also configured a little differently with solid two racks then you add singles on top of that which i have two extra for a total of four,it does not ratchet down instead there is a knob you tighten and instead of the allen head there is a key with three sides that locks in each side of the push in pin.

I will tell you guy's that are on the fence about this rack like i was just buy it i am really impressed with the craftsmanship this thing has and the thing that really surprises me is according to the guy i bought it from he purchased it sometime around 2002 and believe me looking at it you would think it was new so these things are made to last.

My purpose of buying a rack was to leave my diesel at home and be able to drive my focus when i ride so i wanted a double rack so i am not sure if i will ever use the 3rd and 4th extension so might end up selling those but we will see.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dberndt
    I think if you look at the pictures of how the current screw activated retention mechanism you'd see that there must be a screw or some sort of a shaft running down the center of most of the hitch mechanism to connect the screw with the ball that pops out to lock the receiver into place. This being the case it seems like it would impossible to put a hitch pin through that area without braking compatibility with the original mechanism.

A hitch pin by itself will likely have the bike rack rocking and bouncing around more than you like due to the free play between the receiver tube and receiver shaft. As such I can't say I'm surprised 1Up didn't entertain your request.
    Doesn't really matter at this point, but it is possible to do. There are a few racks that use the same type of wedge mechanism as 1Up does, plus have a hitch pin slot. Those racks are designed and advertised so that the hitch pin is used as the security and pull-out/push-in mechanism, and the wedge is the anti-rattle mechanism (they use a non-threaded anti-rattle bolt for the hitch pin).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    search is your friend.

1UpUSA rack - lots of photos and small review

J.

mtbr member
    So the rack is being delivered tomorrow. Super excited.

Also ordered a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock (3.25" x 6") to secure it somehow to the hitch. Still need to order a 15' OnGuard Akita 5080 security cable from Amazon to lock the 2 bikes when traveling. Would like a Kryptonite cable but it's either 7 feet or 30 feet options from them.

But most importantly, still need to install the hitch on my WRX wagon, ordered new hardware today at the dealership today since everything's so rusted underneath my car. Chicago winters can be brutal for an undercarriage.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I broke down and ordered a 1Up + 1 Add-On. At the end of the day, it was the lesser of all evils. Ultimately, it's foldability is a big thing for me, as the rack will never stay on the car when not in use, and garage space is always at a premium

Update: For anyone who happened to have purchased a rack in the past few months, and has a 29er, did you ask 1Up about 29er compatible arms? I asked about this and was simply told "all of our racks are compatible with 29er's".

Since posts in this thread go back pretty far, it's hard to know if they just made a production change so that all their arms are the longer arms or what.
    Last edited by HDClown; 03-24-2011 at 06:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Rack came in today. Quality piece. The work and craftsmanship on it is beautiful. Also I'm pretty stoked that I didn't shell out the extra $100 for the black color, the silver finish looks awesome, nice and matte. Will hide scratches very well.

I did receive a lot of criticism on my Saab 9-2X forum about going with this rack, but what do they know right? They heavily insisted on roof racks or the Kuat NV rack.
    konahonzo

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    eurospek, how much trouble is it to install a hitch on the 9-2x? My fiancee has a 9-2x, it'd be cool of I could switch the rack back and forth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    eurospek, how much trouble is it to install a hitch on the 9-2x? My fiancee has a 9-2x, it'd be cool of I could switch the rack back and forth.
    No trouble at all. Same process as on the Impreza wagon seen here, It's only 4 mounting bolts and that's it. The only hard part is the installation. I tried to install it myself but with no power tools, the rusted hardware is not budging at all and I don't want to rip or strip the bolt heads off, can't blame it after 6 Chicago winters being parked outside.

I ordered new hardware at the Suby dealership and will get this installed next week at my Suby tuner garage that handles my maintenance and mod installations.

The hitch I bought was the Curt 11318 model, cheapest on Amazon, with the biggest amount of clearance for my Prodrive exhaust on the car.

Does your fiancee drive the Linear or Aero model?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am floored with the paranoia running through this thread.

Congrats to the guy who found his on craigslist! That's awesome and I never even thought to look there.

FWIW, I commute 135 miles every day, 7 days a week. I carry a single 37lb bike on mine and 1up's retention mechanism has never loosened. Do I check it occasionally? Absolutely, but that's just because it's my bike and my responsibility.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    After weeks of searching, I think I'm going to settle on this rack also. I like their warranty and replacement policy if it gets stolen. One less worry on my head each time I park the car and hoping no one order the special allen wrench from the company and comes by and steal the rack off my or someone elses car.

Only wish the lock mechanism was unique to every rack; maybe a combo of key lock and allen wrench...key needs to be in unlock position to be able to turn the allen wrench or something along that line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Look at this post from one of the other threads on this rack.

If you are worried about the rack getting stolen, this ought to fix that problem. NO rack is better secured than this. I thought this was a pretty clean solution with the added benefit if a nice cable to lock the bikes to the rack.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, I've had mine for a couple of years now and still think it's a great rack. I've driven bikes thousands of miles on them. The only thing that ever happened was when I hit a massive bump in a construction zone at 80nph (how many things do you see wrong with that picture?) that practically wrecked the car. One of the wheels got a little cockeyed in the rack - totally not the fault of the rack and totally my fault. Since then, all I do for long road trips is put a toeclip strap around one of the wheels on the most outbound side of a 4 rack configuration (not needed on anything not the last bike) just to handle my paranoia.

To be clear, that bump I hit would have sent stuff flying from almost any rack I've ever had. We hit so hard that all four of our shoulder/seat belts locked and I had a bruise on my shoulder from the seat belt. I'm not even sure that our SUV didn't go a few inches airborne - it was that bad.

Damage to bikes? None. Damage to rack? None.

Very happy with this rack.

J.
    Last edited by JohnJ80; 03-27-2011 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Look at this post from one of the other threads on this rack.

If you are worried about the rack getting stolen, this ought to fix that problem. NO rack is better secured than this. I thought this was a pretty clean solution with the added benefit if a nice cable to lock the bikes to the rack.
    Exactly how I plan on securing mine. Along with security cables for the bikes.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looking forward to hear your impressions of this rack when you get it.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    Only wish the lock mechanism was unique to every rack; maybe a combo of key lock and allen wrench...key needs to be in unlock position to be able to turn the allen wrench or something along that line.
    Have you ever seen someone else, in person, with a 1up rack? I live in the Phoenix valley and ride all over this area. I haven't seen any. The only other 1up I've seen belongs to a friend who I introduced to this rack. The only other way someone would be able to swipe your rack would mean they've been watching your habits for a while and it's hard to defend against that. It isn't like there is an army of anti-social 1up rack owners wielding their security allen wrenches looking for a rack to steal.

And to the other guy that thinks the head of the hitch tightening bolt can be turned with a pair of vice-grips, I'm going to call BS. The bolt on mine is flush with the main plate the rack is attached to. The other security bolts used to attach other racks don't seat as flush, true. But no one is going to get your rack off your car with a pair of vice-grips. Well, I guess they could disassemble it piece by piece...

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hear your impressions of this rack when you get it.

J.
    The first impressions of it are amazing. The quality and craftsmanship of it blows anything else out of the water. It's just pleasing to look at even (looking at it ATM as it's right by the computer desk).

I'm glad that I paid the $140 difference between it and the Thule T2 and even more happier that I didn't go for the black one.

Although I will call 1up in the week to ask about the platform system you have to use on a roof rack in the future. If it's more $$$ than I will stay with what I have and continue using a hitch on my next car.

First ride impressions soon, just waiting for hitch hardware and installation of the hitch on my WRX wagon, stupid rusted hardware.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You will really appreciate the benefit over the T2 when you go to put it on the car. This takes you about 30 seconds and about 30 seconds to add each additional bike kit. It's super easy and light to do that and it stores really well. I think when the T2 is full up you are wrestling with an 80lb rack and it doesn't store well.

The other nice piece is that you only have to add as many trays as you need. That's really nice.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad
    Congrats to the guy who found his on craigslist! That's awesome and I never even thought to look there.
    Thanks - I got really lucky as i am sure most will not let them go once they have one even if it is the older version.

Btw i finally had a chance to break mine in today and could not be happier especially seeing how it has been stored in my trunk all week which is very convenient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-...3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The nice thing about their lifetime warranty is that you should be able to get the upgrades as they improve their rack for not too much money. I have the same older style as you and they offered to put on the newer trays and arms for not much. In fact, they would do the the work and the cost included shipping both ways.

BTW, nice bike.

Oh, and they may limit the lifetime warranty to original owners, but never hurts to ask.

mtbr member
    The nice thing about their lifetime warranty is that you should be able to get the upgrades as they improve their rack for not too much money. I have the same older style as you and they offered to put on the newer trays and arms for not much. In fact, they would do the the work and the cost included shipping both ways.

BTW, nice bike.

Oh, and they may limit the lifetime warranty to original owners, but never hurts to ask.
    Now that's service.

I loved the fact that I was able to call them over in the neighboring state and speak with someone after a ring or two. Going with one of the mainstream companies like Yakima or Thule, I'm sure such quick service would be lost.
    konahonzo

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I am still waiting on the roof rack compatible version that they said will be available "next month". That was last summer.

Single tray I have works just fine though. I guess I should give up and buy another foldable tray.

That sucks though - this thread with pictures of the roof rack compatible trays was the reason I bought it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

BTW, nice bike.

Thanks And i will give them a call because the trays seem fine for my 26" but could be a little longer for my 29er so i would be willing to pay to have them upgraded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNomadRider
    Thanks And i will give them a call because the trays seem fine for my 26" but could be a little longer for my 29er so i would be willing to pay to have them upgraded.
    Yeah, my version came with arms that are quite a bit longer than the ones in your pic. They work great even for 29 inch wheels, and offer even more security for 26 inch ones. For anyone who is wondering, on the new version the arms are more than long enough for 29ers, the old ones would be too small for comfort. I'm not sure when they made the change, but the one I ordered last year has the longer arms.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier HDClown, but it looks like you ordered one anyway. You'll be very happy. This is such a great rack. The best part is being able to run just 1 tray for the majority of the time when I just have my bike. So much cleaner.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Yeah, my version came with arms that are quite a bit longer than the ones in your pic. They work great even for 29 inch wheels, and offer even more security for 26 inch ones. For anyone who is wondering, on the new version the arms are more than long enough for 29ers, the old ones would be too small for comfort. I'm not sure when they made the change, but the one I ordered last year has the longer arms
    When you have a chance can you measure how long they are from bottom pivet to top ? I am thinking about having the machine shop next door to me to make some extensions. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNomadRider
    When you have a chance can you measure how long they are from bottom pivet to top ? I am thinking about having the machine shop next door to me to make some extensions. Thanks
    Sure. I'll try to remember when I get home. I'll also try and post some pics with my 29er and my 26er on the rack. The thing I'd be concerned about is if the tray is long enough to fit the longer arms when they are folded down. The trays may be shorter on the older version, but I'm not sure. I'll measure the distance of the trays for you as well. It would suck to get longer arms and not be able to fold them down all the way.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just ordered one based off the reviews. I was torn between this one and the Raxter Tarsus.

Even thought the Tarsus was much cheaper, the 1 Up rack offers much more functionality and folds up cleaner. I like the fact that I still can have access to the rear hatch of my vehicle with bikes loaded. Might as well spend the money and get the last bike rack I will ever need .

I ordered an hour ago and already have a shipping confirmation and tracking number Great service already

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Could someone tell me if the 1up Quik-Rack will clear my bumper when installed and when folded up? Here's a screenshot showing the distance from the 3/4" hole to the edge of my bumper (the red line) is 6.5 inches. If it helps, this is a Honda Odyssey 2006 using a Class 3 Hidden Hitch.

I'm trying to avoid installing a hitch extender.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The mounting post on the Quik-Rack is 6" from end to end, but it's actually 5 3/4" of usable distance. The center of ball inside the post is 2 1/4 from the end. You need to insert the post into the hitch carrier 3 inches.

Measure the distance from the face of the hitch receiver to the bumper and base it off that.

Also, the 1up has 3 different positions, fully upright, fully down, and angled in-between those. It might be tough to use the fully upright position, but I think you are fine otherwise.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    Could someone tell me if the 1up Quik-Rack will clear my bumper when installed and when folded up? Here's a screenshot showing the distance from the 3/4" hole to the edge of my bumper (the red line) is 6.5 inches. If it helps, this is a Honda Odyssey 2006 using a Class 3 Hidden Hitch.

I'm trying to avoid installing a hitch extender.
    I use 1up on Honda Odyssey 2005 with what seems to be an exact same hitch. It barely clears the bumper when folded up (without a bike, obviously) - with hitch pushed all the way back. One can not push it all the way, then it will clear for sure.

Plenty of space for the rack and any bike when opened up in the working position.

If you ask me and willing to wait until I remember to do that - I can snap a photo of it in the folded position.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    I am still waiting on the roof rack compatible version that they said will be available "next month". That was last summer.

Single tray I have works just fine though. I guess I should give up and buy another foldable tray.

That sucks though - this thread with pictures of the roof rack compatible trays was the reason I bought it.
    That's probably my fault (that was my rack). Cal sold me a prototype and asked for feedback. I gave him that and suggested that the come up with a less fiddly way to connect it to the bars. He had the traditional 4 long bolts through a plate with 4 nuts on the bottom. After having dealt with them, I suspect he is working on that plan...

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The mounting post on the Quik-Rack is 6" from end to end, but it's actually 5 3/4" of usable distance. The center of ball inside the post is 2 1/4 from the end. You need to insert the post into the hitch carrier 3 inches.

Measure the distance from the face of the hitch receiver to the bumper and base it off that.

Also, the 1up has 3 different positions, fully upright, fully down, and angled in-between those. It might be tough to use the fully upright position, but I think you are fine otherwise.
    I believe you only need to insert the ball 1" into the receiver. I'd check with 1upUSA but I'm pretty sure that's it. It doesn't take much to get it to the point where it gets past the bumper, at least saying so based on my volvo p.o.s. XC90.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I believe you only need to insert the ball 1" into the receiver. I'd check with 1upUSA but I'm pretty sure that's it. It doesn't take much to get it to the point where it gets past the bumper, at least saying so based on my volvo p.o.s. XC90.

J.
    That is correct. What i posted said that the post needs to go in 3" which puts the ball in roughly 3/4' past the end of the receiver. The instructions say the ball needs to be into the receiver "at least 1 inch".

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ah. makes sense. I did remember it correctly.

j.

Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast