Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566
Results 3,251 to 3,264 of 3264
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The 1Up rack isn't perfect but stability/security of the bikes in the rack is not a problem. When I look in the rear view mirror I see no significant movement, whether it's our mtb's with 29x2.3 tires at 20 psi or our road bikes with 700x23 at 100 psi. Thousands of miles of pavement, hundreds of miles of dirt ... they don't move enough to cause problems. That said, I'd still arrange them to keep an inch or two between bikes if you're carrying more than one (i.e. Seat on one, bars on another, etc) in case they move out of sync. Also, I got silver, cheaper and less likely to show scratches. Finally, I also got their locks, but if you have an appropriately sized U lock or even padlock to lock the rack to a tow chain eye on your hitch, you can both secure it against theft and accidental loosening with one device.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-s1up-rack.jpg

I am new to this forum (long time lurker) so this is my first post! I just purchased a 1 up super duty rack. Like most others, I am very happy with this rack, I think it's the best bike rack out there. One thing that really surprised me (in a good way) was that I am actually able to open my tailgate all the way with my bike on the rack!! When I ordered the rack I didn't think I would have that much room but this is really a great feature! Also, (like others) I purchased a small bike cable lock to replace the velcro strap. Seems to do the job for a security deterrent as well as the safety catch. Truly though I can not see this getting loose and sliding off, after snugging up the ball in the receiver this rack doesn't move at all. I'm a very happy customer!!!

Let's build one more
    I pushed the button for a silver super duty and it took all my money
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've had my 1up 2 bike rack since 2012. Has worked great until the end of last year. The wheel holders started working loose after a long drive and it is getting worse. Now I can put the bikes on and push the holders against the wheels like usual and they will be loose in 5 mins. To the point of the 29er almost falling off. I tried cleaning everything with no luck. Now the silver bars that the locking mechanisms ride on are flat/smooth. I see on newer models they are notched along the top. Was this done to solve the problem I am having? I've emailed 1up with no response. Would like to get this fixed as right now the rack is useless.

mtbr member
    1UP USA should be able to send you the notched slide bar as a replacement (hopefully for free) but in the meantime I suspect you can just use a bungie cord to hook the 2 ends of the holding arms together to keep pressure towards the bike. You can either hook it through the holes on the arms or to the cone shaped cross members.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Renardo View Post
    I've had my 1up 2 bike rack since 2012. Has worked great until the end of last year. The wheel holders started working loose after a long drive and it is getting worse. Now I can put the bikes on and push the holders against the wheels like usual and they will be loose in 5 mins. To the point of the 29er almost falling off. I tried cleaning everything with no luck. Now the silver bars that the locking mechanisms ride on are flat/smooth. I see on newer models they are notched along the top. Was this done to solve the problem I am having? I've emailed 1up with no response. Would like to get this fixed as right now the rack is useless.
    those bars didn't use to have the notches in them on the earlier produced units. That was a running change. My rack has the smooth bars and they still hold just fine (4yrs+ rack usage) Undoubtedly replacing them with new ones, if you had that style originally, would likely fix them - BUT I'd also ask if the piece that locks onto those bars is subject to wear, and might need replacing.

Good luck getting anything for free from them - never worked for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Renardo View Post
    Just call them.

My rack is the same design but older. I haven't had a problem with it holding. The bars of which you speak were smooth when I got it but they no longer are as they become notched from use. How did yours get smooth? I'm thinking if they are smooth, you are not pushing the end pieces in hard enough. I typically do it so that the tires deform substantially. I can't release the arms unless I push in on them to relieve tension. Is that how you are doing it?

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    those bars didn't use to have the notches in them on the earlier produced units. That was a running change. My rack has the smooth bars and they still hold just fine (4yrs+ rack usage) Undoubtedly replacing them with new ones, if you had that style originally, would likely fix them - BUT I'd also ask if the piece that locks onto those bars is subject to wear, and might need replacing.

Good luck getting anything for free from them - never worked for me.
    We stand behind all our products and want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase.
    1up USA.com LLC guarantees a lifetime warranty on 1up USA products to the original consumer. Proof of purchase will be required on all warranty claims. Hawaii, Alaska and international customers will be required to pay for shipping on the returned or warranty product

mtbr member
    Haven't had my rack long, but just took it on a weekend trip to the desert. Both on the way there, and the way back, the rack slid out of my hitch about an inch. I wailed on the securing bolt both times with plenty of torque. Granted, this was on really rocky roads, with four bikes, but not very confidence inspiring- wish they had a pin of some sort.

Also, I have the fat bike adapters on all four of my racks, and it definitely causes road bikes to wobble a bit. Gonna swap back to the skinny setup for the summer (though it's a bit of a pain).

Also had a 16" kids' bike fall out, but it's possible I didn't have it tightened quite enough.

Another thought on locking it to the car/ hitch mount: I don't recommend buying the 1up lock. I bought one when I ordered mine as there have been some rack thefts in the area, but the 1up lock prevents you from being able to tighten the securing bolt, which, apparently, is quite necessary on a semi-regular basis.

It's a really well made rack, it's pretty, and it has some cool features, but the kool aid needs some more mix and maybe some sugar. As others have said, for such an expensive rack, there are several "annoyances" that surprise me.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My rack hasn't seen much use. Just started with it on a regular basis. Mine is pretty new. So far it hasn't required tightening. Maybe they addressed that on newer ones.

I do have to say, its a tough ass rack. Yesterday on the am commute I was rear ended. The rack took a square hit. Messed up the Nissan front end pretty good. Only paint scratches and slight marring to a corner. Everything else held up very well.

As a side note: I realized I have no damn clue how to pivot the rack. How do you do that? What is the release to pivot it? It's a single sled unit, hitch mount.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata CC
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9 (Building!)

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=alshead;13131018]Haven't had my rack long, but just took it on a weekend trip to the desert. Both on the way there, and the way back, the rack slid out of my hitch about an inch. I wailed on the securing bolt both times with plenty of torque. Granted, this was on really rocky roads, with four bikes, but not very confidence inspiring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20170204_131025.jpg  

2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Yep- I have a retention system, I'm just disheartened that I'll basically need to rely on it with some regularity. Again, not a big deal, and I can safeguard it, but for twice the cost of other 4-bike hitch racks (Yakima, Thule, Kuat, etc), it's just another small issue that I feel shouldn't exist.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Yep- I have a retention system, I'm just disheartened that I'll basically need to rely on it with some regularity. Again, not a big deal, and I can safeguard it, but for twice the cost of other 4-bike hitch racks (Yakima, Thule, Kuat, etc), it's just another small issue that I feel shouldn't exist.
    You might have a defect somewhere... I actually have 3 1UP racks, the heavy duty, which I'm getting rid of as I no longer haul 4 bikes, and 2 of the the original racks and knocking hard on wood none have ever loosened on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    knocking hard on wood none have ever loosened on the road.
    These were pretty rough roads- lots of slow crawling and such. I haven't had a problem in 6 months of ownership until those roads, which I only get to a handful of times a year. I don't think it's a defect, just a design flaw.

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566