Page 66 of 93 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2306
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Powder coating on aluminum doesn't last and is a step back in the quality department IMHO. Anodized aluminum last much longer but is more $$. I have anodize aluminum parts on my boat that are 13 years old and used in salt water almost daily and all is looking great. Powder coat comes off in less than a year.
    As far as the retaining system goes it has been good for me, but on a bad road a bungie cord between the two arms may provide extra security if need be.Just a thought..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just bought a new 1 bike silver hitch rack and it has the serrated bar and powdercoated bed. I actually love the serrated bar and it makes the system feel amazingly secure. It doesn't seem to greatly effect adjustability and it is very reassuring when you get one last click as the tire compresses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_san View Post
    I just bought a new 1 bike silver hitch rack and it has the serrated bar and powdercoated bed. I actually love the serrated bar and it makes the system feel amazingly secure. It doesn't seem to greatly effect adjustability and it is very reassuring when you get one last click as the tire compresses.
    I just got a rack as well and although I haven't dealt with the previous version of the rack, I like the serrated feeling of security and you can get it pretty darn tight with it.

I'm not a fan of the powdercoating either. I kinda forgot about it and when I saw paint chipped off and flaking away I was confused and then after looking at it more closely, I was like....oh yea, that's the paint....lame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Loving the 1up Racks

Super happy with the 1up racks... I also bought the adapters so that I can take the trays off of the station wagon and carry 4 bikes on the back of the SUV. Both racks live on the vehicles full time and super easy to move the rack over to the RV to head out to a race.

I have noticed that with bikes on the roof, they wiggle back and forth more than they do on the back of the truck. I think its the orientation... and I just picked these up May - but they did not have the serrated bars on them.

I know some have bagged on the paint/powdercoat, but to my eye, just made more sense on the wagon!

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2013-05-01-13.25.04.jpg

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2013-05-02-13.42.54.jpg

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2013-05-06-19.01.52.jpg

mtbr member
    I really like how the 1UP holds the rear wheel. I am really tired of the ratchet strap on all the other racks.

Yet my one knock on the rack was confirmed when I was looking at one at a race and another rider walked up, "Did you build that yourself?
    "No, it almost $530 +shipping"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Yet my one knock on the rack was confirmed when I was looking at one at a race and another rider walked up, "Did you build that yourself?
    "No, it almost $530 +shipping"
    Why is that a knock? I would say "yes, I built it myself. Like it? I could build you one and delivered to you in less than a week for $750"
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    Why is that a knock? I would say "yes, I built it myself. Like it? I could build you one and delivered to you in less than a week for $750"

Thats funny.

Yet, I think the response would be:
    "$750?? I have a guy that can make that for $200."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Thats funny.

Yet, I think the response would be:
    "$750?? I have a guy that can make that for $200."
    Then I would love to buy one for $200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @Bik02 - 1UpUSA has a great moneyback guarantee. Instead of doing the "what if" thing, why don't you buy one and try it out? Then you can critique to your heart's content on the real thing and if you don't like it, send it back. And we don't have to play "what-if" anymore.

mtbr member
    I have the One-Up single bike in black anodized. I went to check the 1UpUSA website to see about ordering a one bike add-on, and I see there is no longer any mention of the product being anodized... then I check this thread and learn that 1Up has started powder coating the black racks.

It's an obvious move to cut costs by using a lower-quality process. Now, if I buy the add on, it's not going to match my existing rack. Of course, the cost savings is not passed along to the customer; the add on still costs as much as it ever did.

The 1Up price point is hard for some folks to justify; fans of the product see it as the price of quality. This erodes that perception, IMO.

HUGE HUGE THUMBS DOWN on this highly !@#$%^ questionable move. Way to un-distinguish yourself from the competition, 1Up.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Does 1up have a warranty on the powercoat vs anodized?

mtbr member
    Also no longer free shipping unless you spend over $500. I used to recommend them. Now it would be difficult for me to do so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah what's up with that. Although 9 bucks isn't much I think but surely would be nice to get the free shipping for the add ons. They've also included a Velcro strap to secure the rack to the hitch. Is that something new? Why not just have a hitch pin so we don't lose the rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digifun View Post
    Yeah what's up with that. Although 9 bucks isn't much I think but surely would be nice to get the free shipping for the add ons. They've also included a Velcro strap to secure the rack to the hitch. Is that something new? Why not just have a hitch pin so we don't lose the rack.
    I have had the 1Up for over a year and mine came with the velcro loop strap. I think its just an added safety precaution in case the mechanical lock somehow comes undone. Honestly, its probably mostly for lawyer/liability reasons. I never use it anymore, although I might if I were making a really long road trip. So far I have never had a problem with the rack coming loose on its own.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member

Re: 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

I bought my 2-bike rack in March and was planning on getting a 1 bike add-on this summer and a second add-on in a year or two as my boys get older and bigger bikes. I'm really bummed about the powdercoat changes...so I emailed them.
    Perhaps more people should email them and see whether they'll consider continuing to offer the anodized version, perhaps at the original price and the powder coat version a little cheaper?
    Anyway, if there is not a way to get an anodized add-on, I am considering returning it and getting a Kuat instead. After spending so much on the 1Up rack, I don't want it to be even more DIY looking with different finishes on it and don't want the powder coating flaking down the road.
    So if the change bothers you, send them an email so they know that this will cause them to loose customers in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I bought my 2-bike rack in March and was planning on getting a 1 bike add-on this summer and a second add-on in a year or two as my boys get older and bigger bikes. I'm really bummed about the powdercoat changes...so I emailed them.
    Perhaps more people should email them and see whether they'll consider continuing to offer the anodized version, perhaps at the original price and the powder coat version a little cheaper?
    Anyway, if there is not a way to get an anodized add-on, I am considering returning it and getting a Kuat instead. After spending so much on the 1Up rack, I don't want it to be even more DIY looking with different finishes on it and don't want the powder coating flaking down the road.
    So if the change bothers you, send them an email so they know that this will cause them to loose customers in the future.

I agree. 1up was able to charge a premium because they provided the best product without shortcuts or apologies. TBH, I'd rather them charge more for the same quality if their costs have increased than charge the same for less. It isn't as if the rack is affordable but people buy the rack knowing that nothing on the market is better at any price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I agree. 1up was able to charge a premium because they provided the best product without shortcuts or apologies. TBH, I'd rather them charge more for the same quality if their costs have increased than charge the same for less. It isn't as if the rack is affordable but people buy the rack knowing that nothing on the market is better at any price.
    This is a good point. Really what it boils down to IMO is that there is no longer any reason to pay more for the black (even though I think it looks better). You are better off saving your money and getting the natural silver rather than paying more for powder coated aluminum
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member

Re: 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    This is a good point. Really what it boils down to IMO is that there is no longer any reason to pay more for the black (even though I think it looks better). You are better off saving your money and getting the natural silver rather than paying more for powder coated aluminum
    That's the thing, is that there no longer is "natural silver". The wheel tray which had been anodized silver is now powder coated (and more of a gray color than the rest of the aluminum).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you again to all that have purchased or tried our products. We did not go to the powder coat finish to cut cost by any means. Our prices have not changed on our racks for over 4 years. We've battled the anodized consistency on the trays this past winter and because of the large surface area, oxidation marks and "swirls" are impossible to avoid, so powder coat was our best option for just the trays. Every other part is still anodized and will continue to be. Black anodize takes 3 times longer than clear which is where the additional cost is. Hope this helps.

I will not continue to reply back on this forum as our email and phone lines are always welcome.

Thanks again,

Robbie Lange
    1UP USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't know what's the big fuzz with the paint. It's a bike rack. There bound to get bang up, scratch up and anything else in between. What matters to me is it's durability, ease of use and customer support.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I emailed 1Up about the anodizing vs powder coat, and promptly received the answer as posted above. The rack is high quality and anodizing is a PITA to do it well. I'll likely get the second tray even if there is a different finish on it than my 2 year old flawless rack has... Digifun said it well it is just a rack that will get scratched up with use..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

RideDirt
    I had an issue with the arm on my original 1up rack, they sent me a replacement arm out without ANY questions right away and no cost. I swapped it out and works great . The new retaining system i think is great for the extra security . I got the add on a few months back , doesnt have the new retaining system but it does have the powder coat on it , but who cares as long as it survives , does the job, and makes it easy for me to load and unload .

mtbr member
    Also emailed them and inquired about the powdercoat and new serrated lock arm design. Well we've heard about the anodizing issue but the change for the serrated was more so for roof racks and have carried over to the hitch racks now too.

Happy Trails

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

What is the serrated arm assembly? Can someone explain this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    What is the serrated arm assembly? Can someone explain this?
    The top part of the horizontal piece that the locking mechanism and red lever slides on is no longer smooth. It now is serrated or has "teeth" on them so when the slide is released it is securely seated in a "tooth". If you look back on this thread some has posted a picture of it.

Page 66 of 93 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 ... LastLast