Page 65 of 92 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2292
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I thought I only had 60 days to return it and that is coming up quickly so yes, I would have been willing to return it. There is a certain amount of security I am looking for in a $600 rack that carries 10k worth of bikes. Looks like it was an easy fix so hopefully I can keep it as I love everything else about it.

That was the tipping point for me. I was deciding between the 1up and a kuat nv.
    A rack this expensive should have at least some kind of security built into it. Kind of like the inno rack which uses the same arm. Pick up an NV for 100 bucks less. It has a locking hitch pin, locking cable to secure bike and weighs identical with the two bike 1 up. And a much looking rack in my opinion

mtbr member
    By "security" I mean a peace of mind that the rack will work as intended for several years. Security from theft doesn't really exist for bikes on a rack. A battery powered Sawzal will make quick work out of any security option.

Quote Originally Posted by digifun View Post
    That was the tipping point for me. I was deciding between the 1up and a kuat nv.
    A rack this expensive should have at least some kind of security built into it. Kind of like the inno rack which uses the same arm. Pick up an NV for 100 bucks less. It has a locking hitch pin, locking cable to secure bike and weighs identical with the two bike 1 up. And a much looking rack in my opinion

RideDirt
    The 1up customer service cant be beat , thats what you pay for and quality products .

Off the saddle
    Well I'm done with my security measures for the 1Up. It won't stop thieves that are willing and able that have tools but at least it'll put a damper on the non-experienced "smash and grab" type individuals as a good deterrent when I have to make a quick stop at a gas station or eat lunch within view of the goods.

The 7' Kryptonite KryptoFlex 710 was perfect for my setup. I cinch looped it around the circular bar on the 1Up and fed it through the front wheel, around the down tube, and then through the rear wheel and back to the beginning. I picked up the Masterlock combo lock at Home Depot. I didn't feel like adding another key to the keyring. Now I feel safer lugging my stuff around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by digifun View Post
    1UpUSA has a master locking pin that you can get that will go through the wheels and lock them.

On any rack, the ability to defeat the "security" measures is a <30s issue. It's false security.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The locking pins won't do you much good if your bike have quick releases on the wheels. The only things that you would save are the wheels.

As it has been mentioned on numerous occasions, securing the bike is only meant as a deterrent for those quick opportunistic thieves. If someone wants your bike, they will have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Had the car loaded up yesterday.... the add-on is easy to mount.

But, since I didn't have some wrenches handy.... securing an older road bike with 650c wheels and tires were a no-go (it went on the fork mount roof rack)

P.S. My roadie friends are quite impressed by the 1up rack
    Last edited by tednugent; 05-06-2013 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

This works well enough for me not to worry if I need to make a pit stop while traveling:
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367841740.376185.jpg
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367841800.283045.jpg

Kryptonite 5" lock thru the hitch and around the rack. The Kryptonite also locks the hasps on the 1/2" cable lock. One key solution.

It's good enough for some peace of mind, but I realize it's not Fort Knox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mfan View Post
    The locking pins won't do you much good if your bike have quick releases on the wheels. The only things that you would save are the wheels.

As it has been mentioned on numerous occasions, securing the bike is only meant as a deterrent for those quick opportunistic thieves. If someone wants your bike, they will have it.
    of course - as with any locking strategy.

You should never leave bikes unattended on your car - locked or not. A professional thief with power tools will be gone in 60 seconds regardless of what you do. There is no way to secure a bike to a car better than that because *any* of the racks are the fundamental weakness.

So, get over the security thing and keep an eye on your bikes.

When I have 4 bikes on my 1Up and we have to go into a restaurant or something. I park the car directly where we can see it, leave someone always responsible for watching it and I take the 1st bike in the stack, U lock with frame and back wheel then a cable through all the other bikes to the last one and that's U locked too. Takes a minute to set up and it makes the bikes a lot less attractive to steal. Preferably I park it next to someone else with better bikes totally unsecured.

The #1 thing is I have good insurance.

J.

mtbr member
    As mentioned by many, no lock or security system is 100% foolproof. However, not all thieves (potential thief who sees an opportunity) will have tools in hand on a bike stealing mission. But by having some kind of security system (locks) will keep an honest man (or woman) honest by making it difficult for them to just take your bike. The lock is simply a deterrent. Like others, I also park by vehicle in a spot where I can keep my eye on it when we go in to a restaurant after a ride. Vigilance and common sense is the best security system.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    ^ This....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_20130505_152218.jpg

Finally got around to taking a picture.

On highway speeds 70+ for 200 miles in blasting winds with some hectic driving, I'd say this rack passed all my expectations .
    (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    This works well enough for me not to worry if I need to make a pit stop while traveling:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367841740.376185.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	796575
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367841800.283045.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	796576

Kryptonite 5" lock thru the hitch and around the rack. The Kryptonite also locks the hasps on the 1/2" cable lock. One key solution.

It's good enough for some peace of mind, but I realize it's not Fort Knox.
    I see you have a 2013 Trance X1? I have a 2008 Trance X1 and a 2013 Trance X 29er-0.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    3-up on Wifey's stock 2003 Golf TDI. Yes this is marginal on exceeding the limits of the car / hitch. Much of the time it is just 2-up (2 Epics), adding the 3rd (carbon epic) still keeps the bikes under 100 Lb. Have not yet weighed the rack @ 3-up. Extreme caution to avoid enter / exit tail drag. BEST RACK EVER!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Got a new add-on for my rack this week. I noticed the bar that the red clamping doohickey rides on is now notched. I imagine it's for even more assurance the arms won't become loose (?). I haven't had an issue with my original tray, so time will tell if the new design is an improvement.

Sure does make a racket when folding the arms up. Ziiiiiiiiiip!

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370043352.093891.jpg
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370043367.130169.jpg
    (Orig tray in back, new tray in front.)

mtbr member
    Interesting! I have plans to order the add on as well.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Interesting indeed, as I never had an issue either.. I guess they ( 1Up) must have felt the need for more security.. Question is would they retrofit the older racks with this new feature???
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Off the saddle
    I had one minor issue so far with one of the red latches. Water+dirt can gum up the latch. I pushed the arm down on the tire as usual on the bike tire but didn't pay attention to the red latch locking down on the slider bar. The water and dirt kept it from springing down. The rear tire was barely secured at the end of my 10 mile drive.
    Wonder if they will sell a retro fit kit for the existing racks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Interesting indeed, as I never had an issue either.. I guess they ( 1Up) must have felt the need for more security.. Question is would they retrofit the older racks with this new feature???
    Why bother retrofitting if there are no issues in your current configuration? I haven't had any issues either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not sure I'd like the serrated design. Seems like you'd be stuck with discreet positions rather than infinite adjustability of tightness.

Another design change I noticed on the rack I recently bought is they are powder coating the tire trays now. You can see the gloss finish in post 1616. Not good or bad, just an OCD observation...
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    Not sure I'd like the serrated design. Seems like you'd be stuck with discreet positions rather than infinite adjustability of tightness.

Another design change I noticed on the rack I recently bought is they are powder coating the tire trays now. You can see the gloss finish in post 1616. Not good or bad, just an OCD observation...
    I agree, I think the serrated locking bar is the wrong fix to a really minor problem. I like the infinite amount of adjustment the original system had. Sometimes the locking lever has stuck on me so I just make sure it's cleaned and lightly lubricated. I also double check the levers after securing the arms. Voila - "problem" solved. NBD.

Off the saddle
    I'm guessing since there was a rolling revision to the rack then there must have been a small issue with them. Not every owner of the 1Up is on MTBR and not every problem is known or read about. 1Up could have easily just sent out a mass email to owners saying to keep the lever clean and lubed but instead they decided to revise it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    I didn't even notice till you pointed it out but you're right. The new tray is definitely coated/painted vs the old one being anodized. Not sure if its powder coated though since there's a fair bit of orange peel texture.
    Last edited by ChrisInYpsi; 06-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member

Re: 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Not sure I like those changes, and as ridiculous as it sounds, I don't like the fact that the add-ons won't match the original rack. Will make it look hodge-podge and unprofessional. When the day comes that I will want an add-on, I hope they will give the choice of the old version...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I had the issue with the arms coming loose over and over. I called and they mentioned they were aware on a few very few, vehicles this was happening. They sent me new arms with thumb screws. I think the serrated lock stay is a must. You may not think so until you are the one with a $3000 bike(s) flopping around on the rack tooling down the freeway.
    This issue had nothing to do with clean, lubed not lubed, etc. as I tried everything to remedy the issue. It's a design flaw (for some) plain and simple.
    And there was no emial or other communication from them on this to xkean, lube, etc.
    Just because you don't have the issue, doesn't mean one doesn't exist for others. Differing levels of a vehicle's nvh characteristics may contribute to differing rack problems.
    Also, infinitely adjuatable will prob still be close enough with the serrations. You're pressing the arms against 2 compressible, air filled rubber ballons.

I think this change was needed and I'm happy to see it. I'll try to score some of these new parts when available.
    I do think the new powder coating is a bummer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by thickfog; 06-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Page 65 of 92 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 ... LastLast