Page 62 of 94 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2333
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    I have this rack on my camry hybrid, but at times the bottom of the rack seems to scrape the pavement is barely angled downhill/uphill. I'm always careful to drive very slowly in these scenarios now, but does anyone else experience this? Mine's attached to a regular 1 1/4" (Trailer Hitch by Draw-Tite for 2009 Camry - 36416)
    yes, when I back out of my driveway (or back into) due to the large crown of the road plus my sloped driveway... but my Passat is also lowered. My old Yakima Holdup scraped also.

mtbr member
    I just received and used my 1up rack today. I feel that this is a much better rack than the Kuat NV I previously had. I'm also loving that it only weighs half of the Kuat since I drive to the trails 99% of the time by myself. No need for the extra bike tray although I will be purchasing the extension for when the wife wants to go ride, but it's nice having the option to add and remove a tray. Overall I'm more impressed by this rack than all the others I've looked at.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

The Mud Stud
    Just bought myself one of these roof type racks. I'm pretty excited to move on beyond that Saris Bones rack I've been using for the past six years!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got to use mine to actually transport my bike (not riding yet, sadly), and it worked great. The squealing was much less than when I first used it too, so I might hold off on doing anything with it. Could be the combination of being brand new and bitter cold made it worse when I tried it before.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    My wife finally got to laugh at me regarding the 1up. We walked out of a restaurant, that we were dining at, only to see 8 people gathered around my empty rack. I told her let's just stand back and watch to see if there are admiring or going to try and steal it. I was good either way as I bet they couldn't figure out how to steal it.

After 3 or 4 minutes it was obvious that they were admiring. I walk up and say "nice rack uhhh". One guy says yep but is it completely manual or is it automatic. I looked at him somewhat confused and said "manual"

He looked back at me and said "how do you lift the scooter up there".

I knew I would never here the end of it from my wife so I just went back in and got a beer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Did you go back in on the scooter or did you walk?

Funny story. I'd never live it down either.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine View Post
    1 up needs to lower their prices if they want to get more into the game IMO.
    I tried to convince a few of my friends to pony up for the system so we could share the add-on kits and car pool more but the Thule T2 is already more expensive than most people want to spend. The price point needs to come down closer to the T2.
    1up USA 2 bike carrier $300+200 = $500
    T2 2 bike carrier $350
    Not much in essence but that extra $150 has stopped 3 of my friends from buying the rack.

I am aware the price gets closer with a 4 bike setup but we want to share the add-ons.
    I like the rack for sure but not enough over the T2.
    im wandering if they would give some kind of discount if you buy the 4 bike set up
    as much as i think that its a great product, and probably one of the best platform rack, their prices are way too high

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Did you go back in on the scooter or did you walk?

Funny story. I'd never live it down either.

J.
    She told me from day one that it looks like a scooter rack. What makes it worse is I sell medical equipment for a living so when I open my hatch-back there are walkers, oxygen tanks and CPAPs back there and I drive an old man SUV. I always figure others at the trail head will feel sorry for me and then I have dreams, in my head, of how surprised they will be when I get on my Yeti and rip the trail. I quickly wake from the dream once I hit the trail as I can't breath, my HR is 400 bpm and my legs feel like 100 lb weights...Maybe I should see if the rack will hold a scooter.

The Mud Stud
    I have an odd question. Can a roof mounted model of these be put on a hitch rack of any kind? It's something I may like to upgrade to in the future (hitch).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    I have an odd question. Can a roof mounted model of these be put on a hitch rack of any kind? It's something I may like to upgrade to in the future (hitch).
    I don't think you can take a roof mounted model and use it as a hitch rack without some significant modifications as the mounting points on the trays are in different locations and the biggest thing, the roof mounted rack has a single try were the hitch rack tray is in 2 pieces so they can be folded for storage.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You might have to do some fab'ing/mod'ing, but I've wondered if you could mount 2 or 3 on one of these stow-a-way frames?

StowAway Swingaway Frame - Frame Only #22.9

Name:  stowaway_swing_frame1.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  48.7 KB
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Finally took a pic of my rack, and figured I'd share it.

Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    Finally took a pic of my rack, and figured I'd share it.

Cool... You using the Hidden Hitch model?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    I'd love to know as well. The MKVI GTI is on my radar for my WRX replacement pretty soon and I've been reading on VWvortex that it's basically impossible to mount a hitch with any aftermarket catback. Is yours stock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    I'm using the Draw-Tite hitch which is the same as the Hidden Hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'd love to know as well. The MKVI GTI is on my radar for my WRX replacement pretty soon and I've been reading on VWvortex that it's basically impossible to mount a hitch with any aftermarket catback. Is yours stock?
    My exhaust system is stock for now. I have also heard that aftermarket catbacks won't fit because of the hitch. When I do go aftermarket, I will just go custom anyways. So it's no issue for me.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

PSA: Check your release levers

I love my 1-up rack...that said, it almost dumped my bike. Apparently the lever released, allowing one arm to flop down away from the bike. One arm is not enough...my bike's handlebar end hit my rear window. Good thing it didn't break the window or fall the other way onto the street. Upon closer inspection, I think some grit got in the lever so it wasn't returning (it's supposed to grab the horizontal bar). I loosened the nylock nut and lubed the lever interface and it's working fine now. Be sure NOT to lube the horizontal bar the lever slides on (duh).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    I'm using the Draw-Tite hitch which is the same as the Hidden Hitch.

My exhaust system is stock for now. I have also heard that aftermarket catbacks won't fit because of the hitch. When I do go aftermarket, I will just go custom anyways. So it's no issue for me.
    I'm going to try the Neuspeed system for my TDI. The Y-section seems more set back than the other systems I have seen. Looks like it will clear the hitch where it hangs bolts to the passenger side.

Order my 1-UP now... Love this thread!

The Mud Stud
    Does anyone know of any security options for the roof mounted version of this rack? The only thing holding it on are four bolts that are very quickly and easily removed with a wrench or ratchet. How is the security on the hitch mounted design?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Does anyone know of any security options for the roof mounted version of this rack? The only thing holding it on are four bolts that are very quickly and easily removed with a wrench or ratchet. How is the security on the hitch mounted design?
    Securing the hitch rack to the car is solid. You could use some security nuts instead of the standard ones. They'll come with a non-standard tool to remove and install which will prevent someone "walking by" with a crescent or socket. But, like everything else, if someone wants it, it will only slow them down. Google "security nuts" and you're good to go.

Proud American
    A scary, but ultimately funny thing happened to me. I was driving down the 10 freeway in LA and I looked in the rear view mirror in heavy traffic (no shock there). To my horror... my MTB was missing! I thought I was screwed and would have to buy a new bike. I pulled over to the shoulder, hopped out of the car and realized that the rack was not engaged in the street parallel position, but rather had tilted down towards the street hiding the bike from view. I'm sure it was user error, but, boy did I get a scare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    A scary, but ultimately funny thing happened to me. I was driving down the 10 freeway in LA and I looked in the rear view mirror in heavy traffic (no shock there). To my horror... my MTB was missing! I thought I was screwed and would have to buy a new bike. I pulled over to the shoulder, hopped out of the car and realized that the rack was not engaged in the street parallel position, but rather had tilted down towards the street hiding the bike from view. I'm sure it was user error, but, boy did I get a scare.
    I think I would have a heart attack right there behind the wheel if I thought my $4000+ bike fell off. Good to know the rack can still carry a bike in that position...not that you would ever have to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    that happened to me with my Yakima Holdup....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Has the price on these ever changed? I finally saw a black one in person today and kind of want it now, but seeing how there's no used marked on these yet here in So Cal, I'm having a hard time justifying $350 for a one bike rack for now.

someone a while back mentioned they had them on ebay for a $100 off?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banksd1983 View Post
    Has the price on these ever changed? I finally saw a black one in person today and kind of want it now, but seeing how there's no used marked on these yet here in So Cal, I'm having a hard time justifying $350 for a one bike rack for now.

someone a while back mentioned they had them on ebay for a $100 off?
    They had them on eBay but was for the same price.

mtbr member
    I might ordered the 2 bike rack in silver. If I like the rack Ill order the 2 bike add on later.

Id really like a Rat Rack or Arbutus rack though.
    Last edited by kntr; 04-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Page 62 of 94 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 ... LastLast