Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,050 of 3264
    Your Best Friend
    It'd be cheaper to get a new 2" hitch for the Subaru than to buy a second, single spot 1up. Probably be a good idea and make your rack more versatile.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by agtuck View Post
    Yeah, I would only be putting 2 bikes on the Subaru max even with the 2" rack. Just didn't know if there were other reasons to avoid an adapter.

That's an idea, cheaper and the single rack will be easier for my wife to take on and off the car. I assume the 1.25" rack is plenty stable even with 3 bikes?
    Yes, it's plenty stable even with four. . I was using what is now the 1.25"/2" combo rack in a 2" receiver but that wouldnt matter.

If I ever had to carry just a single bike, I'd not want to give up the option of being able to use just a single tray. It's so trim and easy to install for a single bike. I would go to considerable lengths to avoid a double tray rack if I would ever need a single.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i have a superbumper with spare receiver (see pic). it's in a 2" draw-tite hitch ('10 subaru forester). do you guys think i'd encounter a problem putting a 1upusa rack on it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mundane View Post
    i have a superbumper with spare receiver (see pic). it's in a 2" draw-tite hitch ('10 subaru forester). do you guys think i'd encounter a problem putting a 1upusa rack on it?

No. An you can always take it out.

What's the purpose of that. Back into something with that and it puts the force right to the frame of your car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    No. An you can always take it out.

What's the purpose of that. Back into something with that and it puts the force right to the frame of your car.
    thanks!

btw it's an impact/crash attenuator. you can read more about it from its website superbumper,com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just read a few posts back.. The ONLY downside to the 2 inch receiver-2 bike rack is the weight if you don't need two bikes on there all the time. I rarely do two bikes, so I have the 1-1/4" Single, plus I bought an add-on tray for those rare occasions. The weight savings was worth it to me. And it fits both my SUV (2 inch) and my camper accessory receiver (1-1/4 inch). I don't anticipate ever needing to get rid of it, but it will be easier to sell as a 1-1/4" also because it will fit class 1 and 2 receivers, as well as class 3.

mtbr member
    I also have the 1.25 for the same reason, 95% of the time I only need one tray. I will also add though that I've used it on the 2 inch hitch with the adapter and there was zero issue with that, very solid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    I also have the 1.25 for the same reason, 95% of the time I only need one tray. I will also add though that I've used it on the 2 inch hitch with the adapter and there was zero issue with that, very solid
    Same here. The times I did carry two bikes with the 2" adapter driving my wife's SUV with a 2" hitch, we traveled about 250 miles each way and there were no issues at all.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mundane View Post

I absolutely would not mount the bike rack to it. As suggested, I would take it off and mount the bike rack directly to the receiver.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't know if it has been said before, as this is pretty long, but here is what I like about the 1up.

I got the 2 bike tray, it is a bit heavier but it works for my bike and my wife's. I can get that sucker on my 4Runner (2in receiver) in literally 1 minute. I can get my bike on there in about 30 seconds. No plastic parts or straps to later get weather beaten and break. After a hard ride, I can roll up to the truck and get my bike on it and secured in 30 seconds and done. I'm outa there! I don't have to screw around doing all kinds of stuff to get it secure, as I see others doing with their set up. I can also get the rack off my truck in about a minute.

I just really love how stupid easy this thing is to use, so simple. What I hesitated on was the price of the rear 2 bike tray, expensive indeed. I was considering the Kuat. However, it has been worth every penny.

mtbr member
    I guess I'll throw my love into this thread as well. Fantastic rack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Just one bit of info for those with Subarus, and this might apply to other cars as well ... On my 2016 Forester with a single carrier 1up, I can keep the rack on the car, folded up with no bike, and have zero interference with rear backup camera. The 2nd rack really interferes with my camera and I can kind of see okay, but it's far from optimal for parking or other purposes.

I ended up getting the Curt 2" Receiver for my 2016 Forester and the standard 1up rack with a 2nd bike add-on unit. I leave the single unit installed with a padlock covering the security bolt in the hitch. The rack folds right into the crease on my rear bumper as if it was designed to fit snugly in there. I can open with a single unit, no interference, and need to pop the rack into the diagonal position to open it with the add-on unit. I park my car on public streets at night, and put on the add-on unit for 2 bike carry as needed. I also have 2 Yak trays I throw on the roof as needed to get a 4-bike carry to be the shuttle car.
    Last edited by SchralphMacchio; 07-12-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Your Best Friend
    Guess it depends on what Subaru. You can't just make a blanket statement. On my XV with a Curt 2" hitch and a 2 bike 1up, I can easily use the back up camera and open my rear hatch, all without interference from the rack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    ^ yeah, thanks for the XV info. I meant to clarify the Forester thing upfront. Post edited to make that more clear.

Anyways, very happy with my Forester and 1up.

All fat, all the time.
    After all the rave reviews, I finally bit the bullet.
    Got the heavy duty 2 bike rack ordered! Excited.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You won't be disappointed, I have the same one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EricfromBrooklyn View Post
    Also, any reason to get the "super duty" as opposed to the regular? My hitch is 2", but the regular apparently fits both, and even my dh rig isn't close to 50lbs.
    Any opinions/experience with this? I too am looking at a 1Up for use with two trail bikes, never any DH bikes but would like the strongest/most stable setup for dirt road/washboard use. 2" hitch, Tacoma, I can handle a few extra pounds rack weight if it has any benefits for a lighter bike.

mtbr member
    Super Duty comes with 2 trays. The 2nd tray is not removable so it's good if you're going to be carrying multiple bikes all the time. It's also harder to steal the 2nd tray since it's permanently attached. I just got the Super Duty for my Tacoma Double Cab. Please note that when folded up, it covers the cars plates so that may cause some trouble with the law.1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_7510.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Super Duty comes with 2 trays. The 2nd tray is not removable so it's good if you're going to be carrying multiple bikes all the time. It's also harder to steal the 2nd tray since it's permanently attached. I just got the Super Duty for my Tacoma Double Cab. Please note that when folded up, it covers the cars plates so that may cause some trouble with the law.
    Not according to 1Up's website ... the Super Duty is a stronger version of the heavy duty, and is in fact available in a one-bike configuration (or two-bike) So, are you sure you have a Super Duy, not Heavy Duty, and if so, do you think the extra support bar (per 1Up) is worth it? I've sent an email to 1Up requesting clarification on the difference but no response. The SD is $30 more than the HD and weighs 1 lb more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    Any opinions/experience with this? I too am looking at a 1Up for use with two trail bikes, never any DH bikes but would like the strongest/most stable setup for dirt road/washboard use. 2" hitch, Tacoma, I can handle a few extra pounds rack weight if it has any benefits for a lighter bike.
    I bought a super duty 2 bike for my Jeep and a quick rack 1 bike for my wife's Jeep. We travel off road to trailheads a lot and I mostly drive like a idiot so I thought the super duty would be better. It does weigh more. If you take your rack off and on a lot you will notice it. If you buy a 1 bike and add a tray there is more stuff to come loose.
    For a regular person who doesn't have DH bikes I would buy the regular quick rack 2bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    Not according to 1Up's website ... the Super Duty is a stronger version of the heavy duty, and is in fact available in a one-bike configuration (or two-bike) So, are you sure you have a Super Duy, not Heavy Duty, and if so, do you think the extra support bar (per 1Up) is worth it? I've sent an email to 1Up requesting clarification on the difference but no response. The SD is $30 more than the HD and weighs 1 lb more.
    My bad, you are right. I got the Heavy Duty. I stand corrected.

All fat, all the time.
    Mine was delivered, this thing is a piece of art!
    Makes my Thule sidearm look pretty cheesy honestly.

Look forward to trying it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I recently bought the fat tire kit for my standard single rack 1up. Installation was straightforward. It works well on both the fat tire bike (4.2" approx width tire) and still works fine on my 29er bike too (2.3" tire).

It does look strange when the 2.3" tire is in there, but the bike does not wiggle any more than it originally did. FYI the tire clips that are sold for skinny tires will not work on tires over 2" wide. Those plastic clips are really for road bikes. I emailed 1up and they gave me a straight answer.

My rack was purchased in Summer 2013, and it still looks new and works the same. I use it on my SUV with the 2" receiver and also on the back of my camper trailer that has a 1-1/4" receiver. So far the most bike's I've had on it are 2, but I may buy a third tray later this year for an epic trip next year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How long does it take to add/remove an Add On to the Quik Rack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Maybe 5 minutes? It takes a bit of effort and it's a little awkward, but I've only done it a few times.

mtbr member
    I just did that today and it took me about 2 minutes to put on and take off.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    As long as it take to put 3, quarter turns on a stiff pair of allen bolts, then 4 or 6 more finger-tight turns.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It will take you longer to actually get the add on from wherever you store it, then to actually attach it. First loosen the two hex bolts as far as they will go, you can just use your fingers for this, unless you really tighten them down when you don't have the add on installed. Pick up add on with both hands, put it on the bolts then slide to the right. It will stay in place while you go to look for the hex wrench that you forgot to get out when you got the add on . Hold add on with on hand and use your fingers to tighten bolts finger tight. You may have to wiggle the add on a bit to take pressure off the bolts so you can use your fingers. Use hex wrench to fully tighten bolts. The hex wrench won't spin a full 360, so easier to use fingers until the bolts won't move anymore then finish tightening with wrench

The above may sound complicated, but it is actually easy and takes only a minute or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not long. Two security bolts similar to the one that is used on the hitch.

It's easier if the rack is folded up on the receiver, and not laying flat. The add-on tray is slid onto the 1up using the two bolts as guides, then the bolts are tightened down. That's it. Watch this video on YouTube. He does it the hard way by leaving the rack down (horizontal). Do it when it's folded up (vertical) it's easier.

Skip to 50 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCp5vjjz7I

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    https://youtu.be/n2UcXJk9AxU

Adding an add on takes much less than one minutes. I'd estimate about 30 seconds if you're slow.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With wrench handy, it take 30 seconds to a minute....probably 2-3 minutes if you chug down a chilled beer, get brain freeze, and drop the wrench.

Your Best Friend
    You should keep the security wrench in your cars glove box. That way it's always near to where you need to use it, especially if you are out and about and need to tighten up the rack/hitch interface.

mtbr member
    Do the 1upUSA roof bike trays fit with the BMW OEM Roof Rack? https://amzn.com/B001N3B3N6

I'm considering the 1upUSA trays or the Thule BigMouth trays but I'm not sure if either will work on the BMW OEM Roof Rack...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppie View Post
    Do the 1upUSA roof bike trays fit with the BMW OEM Roof Rack? https://amzn.com/B001N3B3N6

I'm considering the 1upUSA trays or the Thule BigMouth trays but I'm not sure if either will work on the BMW OEM Roof Rack...
    They should. IIRC, the BMW racks are made by Thule. I'd call and confirm with 1UpUSA.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppie View Post

Why wouldn't it? It looks like a regular run of the mill roof rack to me. If it'll fit on my OEM Mercedes rack, which has wider and more aerodynamic cross bars, then it should fit BMW's more traditional "square" crossbars.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yuppie:

Here's a shot of my 1Up. I think it should fit your rack.

mtbr member
    I definitely reccomend keeping a wrench in the car to check it or to remove it for a car wash or something. If I have the add on outside next to the car it probably takes me no more than 90 seconds to get the bolts and wrench out and install it. very easy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New 1up on Volvo XC60

I just received my HD black 2-tray rack (+2 add-ons) yesterday. My Volvo XC60 "received" it last night. I am happy to corroborate everything everyone has said about its beautifully machined appearance, ridiculous ease of unpacking and attaching, super-quick bike load and unload, stability on every road so far, the admiring parking lot stares, and the sizable but worth-it wallet dent.

Just for fun, even though I had plenty of room in the back seat, at the supermarket I tilted my bike down to access the hatch. It doesn't lock into place in that position, so it's easy to tip back up.

I'd like to add a couple other observations:

I have just enough clearance to open my hatch even with the two trays in the full upright position! There is precious little information on vehicle-specific measurements for this on the interwebs. I wondered about that, took the leap anyway, since it could always sit in the 45 degree position, and I am delighted. As my tool-designer friends says, "clearance is clearance"! It's easy to operate the tilt mechanism, if a tiny bit awkward reaching under.

The second tray in the full upright position does make it a tiny bit harder to lean over to access items deep in my cargo area, but I'll get used to that in no time.

Overall very psyched. Feeling a little guilty about the cost (not guilty enough to not get black!), but pleased to not have to lug around my old (t)rusty Thule swingaway.

Another 2 thumbs up for 1up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    In my house we usually buy 2 new bikes every year. I buy a race bike and my wife will buy a bike or a new trail bike, road, or commuter. I only say this because I felt guilty about spending the money on a 1up. But think about it, it's not like you will ever have to upgrade it. And you can buy parts for it. There is a reason that this thread is so long with so many favorable reviews.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    How's the alignment of the 2 arms on everyone's? I just got 2 1up rails for my roof rack and 1 seemed perfectly aligned and the other seems off by a bit:

Attachment 1068930

Attachment 1068929

It's not horrible, but definitely doesn't seem like it should be like that.
    Couple things:

1) Can you post a pic of your bike in the rack, please?
    2) How would you compare loading a bike into the rack on the roof vs. my rack here in this video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On9fYjmw-Y4

The Rockymount Switchitter is a bit wobbly in the rear since the track plate allows one to slide and fit any length of base rack. A small design flaw that I can see thus far.

Here is my setup now:
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_8794.jpg

Rear plate wobbles up and down here, since it has a sliding plate to accommodate base rack systems.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-fullsizerender.jpg1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_8838.jpg1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_8839.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-fullsizerender_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have the OEM BMW rack and just received my 1up roof tray. I ordered it with flush mount thinking that I could use the T bolt but also had them send me the standard mounts just in case. The flush mount does not work. I knew that the dimensions for BMW slots and Thules were different but was hoping that the T bolt would be large enough to "catch" the side of the inside channel for me to tighten with. No dice.

Standard mount of course works fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My T2 about 6 years old was rear ended two weeks ago and the insurance company paid me for the T2 Pro since I convinced them this was a current equivalent. I used my T2 Pro for 5 days and returned it. The interior arm rubbed and would not close without removing second bike, my bikes REEB Donkadonk 170mm and Remedy rubbed no matter what, there is no way to get two 170mm bikes let alone 190mm and the swing arm for a pro seems weak.

I just returned the rack and ordered a 2" HD black 2 bike Quick from 1up (two fat adapters) and hope I like it as much as the reviews I've read. I'm a bit concerned about no locks but any stock locks are crap anyways and I've seen some pretty solid low cost home cooking. I have a white F150 with chrome tool box and accents, but I was worried the aluminum would look too flat and went with the black. Probably not worth $80, but that was the only out of pocket cost for the upgrade with insurance.

Hi There!
    I'm getting ready to spring for the 1UP Quik Rack but have a question: my car has a 2" receiver, how are things with that? I think I need an adapter, but anyone using the adapter, is it pretty simple? Thanks.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    I'm getting ready to spring for the 1UP Quik Rack but have a question: my car has a 2" receiver, how are things with that? I think I need an adapter, but anyone using the adapter, is it pretty simple? Thanks.
    I deliberatly installed a 2" hitch and bought the 2" one up. The 2" carries more weight and I was thinking long-term I might get an eBike. Even if I didn't get an eBike I thought the ability to hold three on one was attractive and I am more of a fan of something that is a little more heavy-duty.

My hitch shipped with an adapter and After testing it in the hitch I wouldn't want to use it, would likely rattle like heck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I deliberatly installed a 2" hitch and bought the 2" one up. The 2" carries more weight and I was thinking long-term I might get an eBike. Even if I didn't get an eBike I thought the ability to hold three on one was attractive and I am more of a fan of something that is a little more heavy-duty.

My hitch shipped with an adapter and After testing it in the hitch I wouldn't want to use it, would likely rattle like heck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    thanks.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    I have the precursor that is essentially the same as the three bike version now but was 4 bikes then. That rack will fit in either a 1.25 or the 2" receiver by adding or removing a bolt on piece that comes with the rack. We use it in a 2" receiver and have probably approaching 20,000 miles on it with up to 4 mountain bikes with zero problems. This is designed to work with either size receiver without modification or the need for another adaptor.

Unless you need 4 bikes, I would get the more modular rack. There are three main advantages to this:

1. You can use it with a single bike with no empty tray hanging off the back. This also folds up very nice and trim.
    2. The modular construction makes it very easy to install. No piece is very heavy and can even be handled by a child for installation.
    3. Easier storage because you don't have to store a two bike set up (which also will not fold up as well).

Depending on the car, I'd go for a 2" receiver if at all possible. I think there is less twist because of the wider surface contact area.

On my current car, I installed an Invisihitch which I really like. With that, the hitch mounts up underneath the car and there is a receiver that is removable. No bumper modifications and it looks great. I use mine with my 1UpUSA rack and really, really like it. I'm pretty sold on the concept.

Hope that helps.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have a 2011 Honda Accord Sedan. I am looking to add either the Curt or Draw Tite receiver to use the 1up.

According to etrailers com info - From the center of the hitch pin hole to the outermost part of the bumper the:

Curt measures: 3-3/4"
    Draw Tite measures: 4-3/4"

Would either of these receivers allow the 1up to be properly tilted upwards in the stored position when not carrying a bike?

I would prefer to use the Draw Tite since it is a little more hidden but wouldn't want it to keep the 1up being positioned upwards when not carrying a rack due to the bumper.

Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsmejson View Post
    I have a 2011 Honda Accord Sedan. I am looking to add either the Curt or Draw Tite receiver to use the 1up.

According to etrailers com info - From the center of the hitch pin hole to the outermost part of the bumper the:

Curt measures: 3-3/4"
    Draw Tite measures: 4-3/4"

Would either of these receivers allow the 1up to be properly tilted upwards in the stored position when not carrying a bike?

I would prefer to use the Draw Tite since it is a little more hidden but wouldn't want it to keep the 1up being positioned upwards when not carrying a rack due to the bumper.

Thx
    I can't speak regarding the Drawtite but I installed a Curt on my 2011 Honda Accord Sedan last weekend in my driveway. I'm running it with a 1up 2-bike rack and the rack will tilt vertical with plenty of space and no interference with the bumper or license plate view. Note the the hitch pin hole has zero to do with the rack as it is not used when mounting. The rack can slide in and out of the receiver so you have the ability to tighten it up at the depth you want/need to work with your car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by madgan View Post
    I can't speak regarding the Drawtite but I installed a Curt on my 2011 Honda Accord Sedan last weekend in my driveway. I'm running it with a 1up 2-bike rack and the rack will tilt vertical with plenty of space and no interference with the bumper or license plate view. Note the the hitch pin hole has zero to do with the rack as it is not used when mounting. The rack can slide in and out of the receiver so you have the ability to tighten it up at the depth you want/need to work with your car.
    That's awesome. Appreciate your input. If you find the time would you mind posting some photos from the back of your accord and then a side view with the rack tilted vertically?

Hi There!
    I'll tell you what...1UP's website/store has got to be the lamest. I've been trying to order a rack for 2 days and it keeps giving me an error, then I look on my credit card online and see pending orders from them but get no confirmation email or anything.

I went to look at racks today from 2 different bike shops, Saris ones and Yakima ones...if they weren't so lacking in quality, yet more expensive than 1UP, I would just get one of those.
    NTFTC