Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960616263 LastLast
Results 2,951 to 3,000 of 3146
    Well Biked
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Since you have an aftermarket hitch installed, it may be hard for anyone to answer. If you can measure how far you need the rack to extend out from your hitch in order to clear your bumper, however, you can compared to my measurements below.

When put to the minimum insertion (2" past the tightening ball), the rack gives you 3" of clearance for your bumper when the rack is folded up in the 90 degree position. You would get more clearance potentially if you would use the 45 degree folded position, but then it sticks out further behind your car. Oh, and their instructions said 2" past the tightening ball for the minimum insertion. They did not specify whether that was the center of the ball or the edge of it, so I played it safe. If you were to use the center of the ball, you'd get 3.5" of clearance. Hope that helps.
    Thanks! that does help. I think I need at least 4.5 inches of clearance to avoid the bumper. The shortest extender I can find is 8" which is super long for what I need. Its a real bummer that they installed my hitch tucked under a bit too much, so its either too short or long! I'm hoping 1ups extender is a bit shorter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Thanks! that does help. I think I need at least 4.5 inches of clearance to avoid the bumper. The shortest extender I can find is 8" which is super long for what I need. Its a real bummer that they installed my hitch tucked under a bit too much, so its either too short or long! I'm hoping 1ups extender is a bit shorter.
    Weird that their website does not specify the length of their extender. They are very good about responding to phone calls or emails - I'd send them a message and ask. I'd guess theirs extends 5-6" based on the photo....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Why not just cut the 'extender' to the length you need and drill new holes in it for the pin ?
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

Well Biked
    I'm waiting to hear back from them. I have thought about cutting it down, but I don't know what it would take to cut though that steel....

b a n n e d
    I'm waiting to hear back from them. I have thought about cutting it down, but I don't know what it would take to cut though that steel....
    It would be very simple for a machine shop . . . pretty much any hitch installer should have the tools to do it.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    (Double post... Sorry)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-uploadfromtaptalk1458307922053.jpg

I have a 2015 forester xt with the draw tite 2 inch hitch. The 1up Sat too close to my bumper, so the hitch wouldn't fold up. I ended up buying the 1up extender which I'm pretty sure was 7.5 inches. I initially was concerned about having it stick out farther than I wanted. But to be honest, I like the extra room. It allows me to fit between the bumper and the rack to retrieve stuff from my hatch

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Are you thinking about a 1-1/4 or 2" 1up?

Regardless, as suggested above, you should be able to cut down an extender or reducer and get the exact position you want. It's just mild steel.

I'd also consider a hitch tightener for the extender/reducer -- this is my favorite.

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-tightener

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-hitch_tightener_with_dims_large_1.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Well Biked
    Quote Originally Posted by jrss13 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458307922053.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1057541

I have a 2015 forester xt with the draw tite 2 inch hitch. The 1up Sat too close to my bumper, so the hitch wouldn't fold up. I ended up buying the 1up extender which I'm pretty sure was 7.5 inches. I initially was concerned about having it stick out farther than I wanted. But to be honest, I like the extra room. It allows me to fit between the bumper and the rack to retrieve stuff from my hatch

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! And thanks for posting the picture! Yes, I'm sure I will have to go that route too. I can confirm that it is a 7.5" extender. I guess the extra space is nice for getting close to your hatch for loading stuff. With my Thule it always looked like it stuck out too much.

I need to mount a third bike so thats why I am leaning towards the 1Up. That and the great reviews, and what sounds like a breeze to add and take away expansion trays.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    About to pull the trigger but trying to decide between the 1 1/4 vs. the 2" version. I will usually be taking 2 bikes but 3 bikes will be on there on occasion (I have a 1UP roof tray which I will be using as the 2nd add on).

The car is currently a 2" hitch, but somewhere down the road I may downsize to a car where 1 1/4" may be required.

For those with 1 1/4" with the adapter to 2", do you experience any wobble with 3 bikes at all? Or is it pretty rock solid?

mtbr member
    you can use a roof tray as an add on?

mtbr member

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    you can use a roof tray as an add on?
    Yep. But you need to call them to buy the part you would need. It's not on the website.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1458599489.669620.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Has anyone used an axle strap in place of the velcro strap? I'm thinking about looping the strap around my hitch and then attaching the D-rings to a shackle lock using the security holes (on the newer racks).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just retired my 2006 BMW 530XI wagon (loved that car) and picked up a new (to me) 2014 BMW 328xi wagon. I'm looking at put an Invisihitch on this car to keep the looks clean and then using that with my 1UpUSA rack. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on that? Don't want the hitch to get too low to the ground.

J.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I just retired my 2006 BMW 530XI wagon (loved that car) and picked up a new (to me) 2014 BMW 328xi wagon. I'm looking at put an Invisihitch on this car to keep the looks clean and then using that with my 1UpUSA rack. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on that? Don't want the hitch to get too low to the ground.

J.
    It's entirely dependent upon the individual car. I have a Torklift Ecohitch on my Subaru and love it; completely stealth and concealed behind the bumper. Dunno if it would be the same on the BMW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by niloch View Post
    About to pull the trigger but trying to decide between the 1 1/4 vs. the 2" version. I will usually be taking 2 bikes but 3 bikes will be on there on occasion (I have a 1UP roof tray which I will be using as the 2nd add on).

The car is currently a 2" hitch, but somewhere down the road I may downsize to a car where 1 1/4" may be required.

For those with 1 1/4" with the adapter to 2", do you experience any wobble with 3 bikes at all? Or is it pretty rock solid?
    I'd also like to know about the adapter. I have the 1 1/4 now and only use one bike with my car. Wondering if a family member should add a hitch to there cx5 so we can use my rack with the adapter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you mean the piece that is removable on the tongue as the adaptor then I can tell you it works fine in a 2" receiver. Before 1upusa made two racks, that's all there was and you could run 4 bikes on it with three add in trays. That's what we have and have routinely used it on 2500 mile cross country Minnesota to Colorado trips. Works great. We've had one for about as long as they've been making them. I'm bet we've done that over 20,000 miles by now.

The 1upusa design pretty much seized the rack tongue up in he receiver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herder View Post
    I'd also like to know about the adapter. I have the 1 1/4 now and only use one bike with my car. Wondering if a family member should add a hitch to there cx5 so we can use my rack with the adapter.
    I have both the 1 1/4 and the 2 version, the 1 1/4 for my Subaru and the 2 for truck. I picked up the 1 1/4 first and was swapping it back and forth between the car and the truck for awhile before picking up the 2. I've run it with 3 bikes many times on long trips and on dirt roads. I was tempted to put a 4th tray on there a couple of times. I actually think it would work just fine as they used to allow 4 bikes on the 1 1/4 racks when they 1st came out, but I figure I better not risk it.

The 1 1/4 is a solid option for sure. The adapter is a chunk of metal that attaches really quickly with an allen bolt. There is no wobble in the rack/hitch interface with adapter in place. When you have 3 bikes you will see some flex/sway in the rack, especially if your on bumpy dirt roads and such, but it's not swaying around like crazy. It's mostly bobs up and down more with the additional bike. It's probably as much flex as you get with 4 bikes on the 2 rack. I'd say it has less sway/wobble than the Thule/Yakima/etc hitch racks with only 2 bikes on it. Those things rattle around like crazy.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I have both the 1 1/4 and the 2 version ... I've run it with 3 bikes many times on long trips and on dirt roads. I was tempted to put a 4th tray on there a couple of times.
    Thanks for that info - it sounds like if I'm only ever going to have 2 bikes on there that I could stick with the 1.25" w/ adapter in my 2" receiver, and then save 5 pounds of rack weight. With my housing situation we can't leave the rack on the car - I do a lot of parallel parking in the neighborhood and spots can be small - so saving 5 pounds of constantly mounting and dismounting the rack seems like a good deal to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Thanks for that info - it sounds like if I'm only ever going to have 2 bikes on there that I could stick with the 1.25" w/ adapter in my 2" receiver, and then save 5 pounds of rack weight. With my housing situation we can't leave the rack on the car - I do a lot of parallel parking in the neighborhood and spots can be small - so saving 5 pounds of constantly mounting and dismounting the rack seems like a good deal to me.
    You'll be fine. I've carried 2 mountain bikes on a 1-¼" rack with the 2" adapter for hundreds of miles without any issues so you'll be fine.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

That makes me smart
    So, did it fix the wobble? I just posted a new thread about this, as I didn't want to go thru 100+ pages of the 1Up thread, but here is the solution (?) on the last page.

mtbr member
    What wobble?
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    What wobble?
    I was responding to DUNXXX's post about the front wheel wobble he was getting when the car is moving at a good clip.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review. - Page 110- Mtbr.com

That makes me smart
    Couple of things:

I love my rack, I inherited mine from the estate of Steve Wolf. It wasn't the part you put on the hitch, it was a tray, but I got the parts I needed from 1Up. Love their shipping charges, they don't try to ream you like other companies might do. Only thing is, I can't fold my rack up with this configuration, but *shrug* oh, well.

I drilled mine out just a tad so I could put a lock with a long shackle over the special allen lock thingy. It allows me to lock the rack to my car and also has room for a small safety cable instead of the dumb Velcro strap 1Up sends.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up-1.jpg

Also, I love that I can fold the arms in to almost the bumper so that if I leave the rack on, I'm not banging my shins into it.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up-2.jpg

What does the shimmy-free part cost, and what is 1Up charging for the special allen wrench that is needed? I lost one already.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't it be better if you just tilted the rack up 90 degrees?
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wouldn't it be better if you just tilted the rack up 90 degrees?
    His doesn't fold up. It's a hybrid made from an add on kit and the non tilting platform that 1UpUSA sells. Otherwise, yes.

J.

mtbr member
    His doesn't fold up. It's a hybrid made from an add on kit and the non tilting platform that 1UpUSA sells. Otherwise, yes.

J.
    Oh, OK.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Forgot to respond to this -

The 1.25" version used to come with a piece that made it work in a 2" receiver and you could put 4 bikes on the rack (3 expansion kits plus basic rack). The problem was that users would put 4 bikes on the rack and then stick it in a 1.25" receiver which was not designed for that load (exceeds a 1.25" tongue weight spec). So they had to discontinue that rack.

That said, I have one of those and we've driven cross country many times with 4 bikes on that rack but stuck in a 2" receiver over maybe 10-12,000 miles. So I would have zero qualms about 2,3 and even 4 bikes on the 1.25" rack if in a 2" receiver.

J.

mtbr member
    Forgot to respond to this -

The 1.25" version used to come with a piece that made it work in a 2" receiver and you could put 4 bikes on the rack (3 expansion kits plus basic rack). The problem was that users would put 4 bikes on the rack and then stick it in a 1.25" receiver which was not designed for that load (exceeds a 1.25" tongue weight spec). So they had to discontinue that rack.

That said, I have one of those and we've driven cross country many times with 4 bikes on that rack but stuck in a 2" receiver over maybe 10-12,000 miles. So I would have zero qualms about 2,3 and even 4 bikes on the 1.25" rack if in a 2" receiver.

J.
    With the 1-¼" version even with the 2" adapter you're only allowed to have 2 additional racks totaling 3 bikes. That's what 1UP USA told me when I ordered mine.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    With the 1-¼" version even with the 2" adapter you're only allowed to have 2 additional racks totaling 3 bikes. That's what 1UP USA told me when I ordered mine.
    I know that. My point was that the rack is limited to 3 bikes not because of the rack but because there would be some moron that would try and put 4 bikes on a 1.25" receiver and exceed the load capacity of the receiver - and then blame 1UpUSA. The rack used to be more flexible and they had one rack that worked in any receiver size but it was the responsiblity of the user to not overload the receiver. That apparently didn't work for them, or at least didn't work for their lawyers or insurance carrier.

So, you probably shouldn't put 4 bikes on it. Truthfully, that wouldn't bother me much knowing what I know. I run 4 bikes on my rack because it was sold to me that way with the proviso that one must not overload the receiver and there has not been a recall on the rack. It's the same rack as the current 1.25" rack but they have a bolt on piece that makes the tongue fit a 2" receiver. Take that off with an allen wrench and it then fits a 1.25" receiver.

This is one of those things with specs by a lawyer because someone who used one was an idiot. So now we all suffer.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've seen a few of you using these with spare tires on the back. Any issues clearing the spare, or do you need to buy an extension? I'm currently using a spare mounted rack, and that thing sucks. Pics of clearance, especially clearing an all terrain tire would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That depends on the vehicle and size of tire. With 35" MTR MTs on my Wrangler, I do need the 1UP locking extension. My tire does sit slightly lower. Many other tire carriers carry the tires higher. Still, here is mine:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only downside of this carrier so far...if I mount two large-sized bikes, the adjustability is not enough. A slightly longer tray may help. I sometimes get into a situation where brake levers will contact the seat post- usually an adjustable seat post and I really have to fiddle with the adjustment and wrap the seat post with something soft so as not to knick it. With the T2, we can put the same two bikes ad adjust the bars slightly offset to where this does not happen. Anyway, I'd still buy the same rack for my other vehicle (and I do need a second rack) but that is the one con (in my case). It takes a while to get it all sorted so the seat post does not get knicked eventually by constant rubbing or tapping. I'll start carrying some pipe insulating foam.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I don't understand your statement. I use a 1up 2place and with our bikes or a friends I just mount the bikes one way or the other to eliminate rub. Something I couldn't do with my Yakima.
    This was one of the appeals of 1up, not having to carry foam tape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With such wide bars now, we can't mount it the same way...the bars are at the same height. Flip one around and I have the issue I described. It happens only with two large similarly sized large bikes and only with my primary riding buddy. My GF has smaller bikes and no issue when I carry my road bike and MTB. We have ended up using his T2 a few times on long drives.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    on mine I have to mount the first bike all the way one direction. I always put front tire left, and only 1 click of locking on the front tire. 2nd bike the same other direction. This maximizes the clearances. You also have to be careful of pedal placement so they don't $)*#&)& up another frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will try that but I worry about leaving an arm so far horizontal...afraid the pressure may make that arm give way. With my 29er, the issue is exacerbated, of course. Maybe the solution is to buy a 27.5er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    That depends on the vehicle and size of tire. With 35" MTR MTs on my Wrangler, I do need the 1UP locking extension. My tire does sit slightly lower. Many other tire carriers carry the tires higher. Still, here is mine:

Thanks! I'm running much smaller tires, basically 32", on a 3rd gen 4runner with a CBI hybrid bumper/swingout spare carrier. Maybe it'll fit? I'll drop them a line, I don't find the dimensions listed on their site.

Also, any reason to get the "super duty" as opposed to the regular? My hitch is 2", but the regular apparently fits both, and even my dh rig isn't close to 50lbs.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    How's the alignment of the 2 arms on everyone's? I just got 2 1up rails for my roof rack and 1 seemed perfectly aligned and the other seems off by a bit:

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-6qkqq3h.jpg

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-h8nsoaf.jpg

It's not horrible, but definitely doesn't seem like it should be like that.
    2000 Zaskar X

b a n n e d
    My arms are not straight when they are closed. They look like yours above . . . I have not worried about it.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    My arms are not straight when they are closed. They look like yours above . . . I have not worried about it.
    Well thats good to know, I wouldnt of gave it a second thought if the other was the same way.
    2000 Zaskar X

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry if this has been asked before, didn't read through all 120 pages of this thread. I'm looking at getting a 1up rack for my wife's car (Volvo XC90). It's a 2" hitch and we sometimes need to carry 4 bikes so I was going to get the Heavy Duty 2-bike rack with 2 add-on trays. Thing is I'd like to also be able to use the rack on my car (Subaru Outback), which has a 1 1/4" hitch. Can I use the 2" rack (with 1 or 2 bikes only) with an adapter on a 1 1/4" hitch? The 1up website says the Heavy Duty rack "cannot be reduced to 1 1/4" but I don't know if they're just worried about someone putting 3-4 bikes on a class II rack. I know that an adapter will set the rack back a little ways (similar to an extender), I can live with that.

Another option would be getting a single rack for the Outback and sharing add-on trays. But that's another $300 on top of the $900+ I'd already be spending. Or I can just stick to the roof rack on the Outback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by agtuck View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, didn't read through all 120 pages of this thread. I'm looking at getting a 1up rack for my wife's car (Volvo XC90). It's a 2" hitch and we sometimes need to carry 4 bikes so I was going to get the Heavy Duty 2-bike rack with 2 add-on trays. Thing is I'd like to also be able to use the rack on my car (Subaru Outback), which has a 1 1/4" hitch. Can I use the 2" rack (with 1 or 2 bikes only) with an adapter on a 1 1/4" hitch? The 1up website says the Heavy Duty rack "cannot be reduced to 1 1/4" but I don't know if they're just worried about someone putting 3-4 bikes on a class II rack. I know that an adapter will set the rack back a little ways (similar to an extender), I can live with that.

Another option would be getting a single rack for the Outback and sharing add-on trays. But that's another $300 on top of the $900+ I'd already be spending. Or I can just stick to the roof rack on the Outback.
    The issue is the load capacity of a 1.25" hitch which is not rated for the full up load of the 4 bike 1Up rack. So you should probably never put 4 bikes on the subaru with it's small hitch.

Another option would be to get the 1.25" that goes to 2" and use that for 3 bikes and put the fourth on the roof. I would do this especially if it's a "sometime" thing. I like having the ability to scale the rack down to 1 bike.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Somewhere in this thread is a posting about someone who experienced the locking ball mechanism not retreating into the hitch tongue when loosened. (I recalled it from somewhere) It looks like this is likely happening to mine. I think they drilled out the a red(?) plastic piece from the rear of the tongue to release to rack?

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

If you can deal with a 2 bike limit on the Subie, you can get an "adapter"

1UPUSA.com Quik Rack Add-On Adapter (Silver)

and use your two add-ons. This is what I do on my fiesta. Downside is it doesn't fold.

Otherwise, I'd put a 2" hitch on the Subie.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

By adapter, you mean some sort of aftermarket generic adapter that converts a 1.25" hitch to 2"? That would work fine as long as you stay at two bikes, could probably even go to three bikes. It would stick out further, but you said only two bikes, which would probably stick out less than a three bike rack on a hitch without an adaptor. Originally 1up spec'ed 4 racks for the original 1.25" rack with the 2" adapter, but people were installing 4 bikes in a 1.25" hitch, which was too much weight for the hitch, not the rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    By adapter, you mean some sort of aftermarket generic adapter that converts a 1.25" hitch to 2"? That would work fine as long as you stay at two bikes, could probably even go to three bikes. It would stick out further, but you said only two bikes, which would probably stick out less than a three bike rack on a hitch without an adaptor. Originally 1up spec'ed 4 racks for the original 1.25" rack with the 2" adapter, but people were installing 4 bikes in a 1.25" hitch, which was too much weight for the hitch, not the rack.
    I have one of the original 1Up racks that were spec'ed for either size hitch and for up to 4 bikes anywhere. The rack would hold it no problem (as I suspect the current multi receiver size version would) and we've done thousands up thousands of miles with 4 bikes on the back. Some idiot, I'm sure, loaded up 4 bikes on a 1.25" hitch that wasn't rated for that tongue weight and caused the problem.

J.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have one of the original 1Up racks that were spec'ed for either size hitch and for up to 4 bikes anywhere. The rack would hold it no problem (as I suspect the current multi receiver size version would) and we've done thousands up thousands of miles with 4 bikes on the back. Some idiot, I'm sure, loaded up 4 bikes on a 1.25" hitch that wasn't rated for that tongue weight and caused the problem.

J.
    Yup, and the idiot blamed everyone else but himself. Nothing is idiot proof until you get rid of all the idiots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    Yup, and the idiot blamed everyone else but himself. Nothing is idiot proof until you get rid of all the idiots.
    Yep. Obviously can't recommend that the "new" 1.25/2" combo units can be used with 4 bikes because the mfg doesn't recommend that. Since they haven't rescinded or recalled our rack, we can use it with 4 bikes presuming we don't exceed the tongue weight spec of the receiver. But its the same rack. Is that stupid or what?

If the primary use mode above would be for 3 bikes or less with an occasional 4th bike, I'd go with the combo version and a roof tray for that time I needed a 4th.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The issue is the load capacity of a 1.25" hitch which is not rated for the full up load of the 4 bike 1Up rack. So you should probably never put 4 bikes on the subaru with it's small hitch.
    Yeah, I would only be putting 2 bikes on the Subaru max even with the 2" rack. Just didn't know if there were other reasons to avoid an adapter.

Another option would be to get the 1.25" that goes to 2" and use that for 3 bikes and put the fourth on the roof. I would do this especially if it's a "sometime" thing. I like having the ability to scale the rack down to 1 bike.
    That's an idea, cheaper and the single rack will be easier for my wife to take on and off the car. I assume the 1.25" rack is plenty stable even with 3 bikes?