Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Update

I received my order today 7/30 which was a pleasant surprise. On the phone, 1UP said it would ship 7/26 and it did.

Ocho - it does seem like you missed yours by one day but I agree there should be better (some) communication by the company with regards to when the items ship, etc. I never received an e-mail saying the items shipped but I am glad it did and I am excited to use this rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I used the rack in the 3 bike configuration this weekend. I didn't tighten the nylock nuts this time and the capscrews stayed nice and tight. Once again I was able to follow the wife home and there was minimal flex in the rack as viewed from another vehicle. I really want to get 4 bikes on and see what it looks like. My son is home from camp this week so maybe I'll get the chance in the next few days. I can install the rack and bikes in less than 10 minutes casually. That includes moving my car onto the street, my driveway is pretty steep, carrying the rack and individual trays to the car and loading the bikes. The rack is definitely easy to use. At the trail I can load or unload 3 bikes in less time than it takes others to load one bike on their trunk mount racks.

I'm really happy I kept the rack now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I found that after the last trip we did - 2500 miles with 4 mountain bikes on the back - the screws that hold the add-ons together were just as tight, if not tighter, than when I put the rack on before leaving. One should have no worries about those loosening.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just got my 1up rack in the mail today! Man that thing is a fine peice of machinery although it was a bit heavier than I was expecting, but it's definitely built well.

They didn't ship my order out right away either...took them about a week and a half after I called. No big deal, but I was anxious to get the rack.

Can't wait to use it. I think I'm going to like this thing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Update!
    I did hear from 1Up about 10 minutes ago. He said he was sorry for the poor service and issued my refund. Says my rack would have shipped tomorrow...yeah, tell me that in an email where he issues the refund. Instead of just calling and telling me before hand. Whether I believe the guy or not, I'd still rather do business with someone else.

I think the rack is one of the best out there. Its just too bad the place is so poorly run. Anyway, we move on.
    So you threw down a hissy fit and will be stuck with an inferior product for a long time - that you will get no sooner then 1up.

Smart decision making. Good luck.

Enjoyin' life....
    No, good decision making. I don't think 1Up is superior given their crap customer service. To me service is part of the whole equation. You can blindly love the guy, the product, or what ever. I give a crap. I'm happy dude, and happier yet I didn't support a scumbag operation. End of story.

Do you really think he was ready to ship? Don't you think if that was the case he would have answered the previous phone calls or the emails? I think he was full of it and had nothing to ship.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Again, it's too bad because it seems yours was just missed out as mine was also shipped on the 26th, last Monday.
    I did not find this out til I emailed them and the reply was I was sent the UPS confirmation, which I hadn't been. I received it within 10min which shocked me because up until then, replies usually never reached back to me until a day later. Again, might not have ever received the confirmation if I never emailed, so I could coordinate a trip to pick it up.
    I too run a small business (3-4 employees) and sometimes "things" meaning clients, with no malice towards any particular client, get out of hand/control due to either inventory or queue process like ours, crap happens and occasionally someone will get put out or thrown to the end of the line. I know it's not good business practice but in our case, I like to keep my customers abreast of any sensitive timelines so they know what to expect. It just happens and you hope to yourself it doesn't happen often. That can't be said of all businesses because if you have to wear too many hats, something needs to give and it looks like 1Up needs to follow up better in the future in communication during the order process because it seems like they are right on top of post sales customer sales.
    It was received last Thursday and I picked it up Monday.
    All in all it is a very nice rack, does what it's suppose to do and look unique from all others out there.
    Maybe we just need to get off of Ocho's back and be glad he's getting his soon.

cheers

Enjoyin' life....
    hmto, thanks.

Look everyone. I had a bad experience with 1Up. Its a case of where I just don't do business with a company like that. I know that the vast majority of you all have had a wonderful experience but for what ever reasons, mine didn't work out.

Yeah, I'm bummed. I did a ton of research into bike racks before deciding on the 1Up. I communicated with Cal prior to making my decision. He responded in a timely fashion and I felt good about ordering. I ordered and after a fair amount of time I emailed, then called, then emailed then called to try and see if I could find out whether my rack was one of the "wait until August 9th" racks or not. I wanted to use the rack for a planned trip. I got no response - nothing. Not until I emailed that I was going to contact my credit card company and lodge a dispute. I fully explained the thing about communicating in my emails to 1Up and admitted that I could live with a delay but could I just know? After repeatedly asking I finally got very frustrated and asked myself if this place was where I wanted to buy from. What if I had a problem with my rack when and if I ever did get it?

I still think the 1Up is a great designed product but its not the only one out there. I count the service I get as an equal portion of the product whole. I didn't get good enough service to warrant me spending the money I had so I asked for a refund. The refund was prompt, I'm okay with it and I went ahead and bought a rack which fits my needs perfectly.

Okay? Done? Enjoy your Quik-Racks and I will enjoy mine. No need to bash one another's choices.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No, good decision making. I don't think 1Up is superior given their crap customer service. To me service is part of the whole equation. You can blindly love the guy, the product, or what ever. I give a crap. I'm happy dude, and happier yet I didn't support a scumbag operation. End of story.

Do you really think he was ready to ship? Don't you think if that was the case he would have answered the previous phone calls or the emails? I think he was full of it and had nothing to ship.
    It's important to note that this in only in your case and it has not been the case with pretty much everyone else. We've seen threads here where every other rack guy has had a case where something went wrong and it wasn't solved promptly. However, these are all isolated instances and it's really not fair to condemn a company on the basis of one isolated incident. It's also useful to remember, presuming everyone worked for a company at some point in time, that every company screws up or fails to meet expectations at some point and so did the company you worked for. Did that make them, and you, "full of it" or a "crap" company? Answer: no.

So in this case that does not make them a "crap"company or their entire customer service "crap" either. It means they didn't do it to meet *your* expectations in one instance - nothing more. If that happens all the time, then the blanket statement applies.

You choose to portray 1UpUSA, and particularly Cal, as "full of it." Not so, he just didn't meet your expectations for communication in this one instance. That's it. Nothing more and I'd have to take exception that you can make such a statement and try and be "done" with it. You experience is largely singular.

J.

Enjoyin' life....
    You can spin it how ever you like but it did happen. Who knows, maybe this is trend? I can only relate my experience. Statistically, its an anomaly but this was just a review of my rack which didn't happen due to a failure on the manufacturers part. Not a statistical analysis.

And yes I am done with this thread and it is finished. Over.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Exactly my point. one instance does not constitute a trend. See lots of it? then maybe. Otherwise, it's a good thing to just portray it as one event instead of saying "crap customer service" as if it happens every time.

j.

Enjoyin' life....
    But it did happen to me every time. The service I got certain wasn't good. So does "less than real good" service sound better to you?

Jesus. Get over it. I don't think Cal is losing any sleep over my refund, why are you?
    Wally

mtbr member
    But it did happen to me every time. The service I got certain wasn't good. So does "less than real good" service sound better to you?

Jesus. Get over it. I don't think Cal is losing any sleep over my refund, why are you?
    We most certainly could not care less about your refund.

We just pointing out that our experience was different - for the education of others. They can draw conclusion what experience was more relevant for their purchasing decisions.

I am still waiting on a roof compatible tray version. That's the reality of a small manufacturer.

Enjoyin' life....
    I hope this all helps someone. Remember, I used your experiences and the positive experiences of others to make my decision to purchase.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Racks are available, purchased one and now just waiting for shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It isn't just small companies. iPHones are out at 3-4 week leadtimes. iPads are an on again, off again supply situation.

In this recession, only a fool is holding inventory. Especially this time of year in the bike industry, maybe you've noticed all the sales?

J.

mtbr member
    Read lots of posts, and decided the 1 up was the right rack for me. Order it exactly 2 weeks ago and received it was promised today. Nice machined aircraft grade aluminum. I should know, I spent 20 years in the Air Force and I know how important quality is. Mounting was not as easy as others say but not due to the rack itself, I was just being very careful while installing. Would work perfect on many vehicles, not perfect on my Honda CRV because my door opens to the side and not up. I will test is out real soon, hope the bike stays on. It's a 29 er and it fits no issues at all. Now for the ultimate question, security is always an issue. I teach at a high school and would like to carry the bike to school so I can ride afterwards on days I do have afterschool activities. What is the best option for locking the bike to the rack ensuring anti theft. I'm thinking hardened steel cable and pad lock. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congrats on the rack, mine is 3 weeks old and loving it. I have people wait for me at the trailhead parking lot just to ask about it as they are somewhat rare up here in Canada.
    As MTBers they love the blue and red bits.
    Safety, depends what kind of standing cred you have with the school kids I would think, especially high school age. Me, I'd take it in to class if possible or if you're tight with janitors, leave it somewhere out of sight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go here- the heavy-duty chains are probably the toughest. They have several options available.

http://www.lockitt.com/chain.htm

I have an Abus armored cable lock which is probably not as tough as the heavy-duty chains but a guy with a bolt cutter could not do anything but cut the vinyl cover.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I used a hardened chain and ABUS lock to secure my bike for hours on end during my 3k mile road trip. Never once had an issue with bike security, either with the my locking system or the rack itself.

mtbr member
    Best option is to bring it in the school, I have a room to store uniforms so not an issue keeping it there. I would rather not have to do that but thinking about it makes me realize how covienient it would be for someone to take since they know I am captivated in the school for long periods of time and have no view of my bike or car throughout the day. Chain and lock make sense, is there not a cable that is hardend steel. Looks like google will have to be my friend today.

Two Tired
    Definitely take it inside If you teach at a high school. A heavy chain may save the frame and one of the wheels, but all the small bits are easy game. Just one disgruntled student or showoff with Allen wrenches or cable cutters will ruin your day.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Didn't think about that, and since I do park by the vocational area it would be very easy. Not so worried about my current students, however students no longer in the program and others are the ones that I am concerned with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    he just didn't meet your expectations for communication in this one instance. That's it. Nothing more and I'd have to take exception that you can make such a statement and try and be "done" with it. J.
    John, that may be so but in most cases a vendor only gets 1 opportunity to get it right, especially with premium products. These racks are nice and well designed, but in the end, it's the product AND the service that sells it. I don't think attacking him for a poor experience that was obviously the fault of the vendor makes any sense. It's the perception he was left with and he's entitled to it.

I personally haven't bought one of their racks because I felt the communication was rather poor both by email and phone... I was going to pick up 4 trays. Customers and potential customers deserve good service, which is even more critical when word of mouth has a much greater impact on the success of a product.

I do agree with the sentiment that the charge should not be put through until the product is ready to be shipped, based on principal more than anything else.

In the end though, it's just a bike rack, albeit a nice one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    One datapoint does not equal a trend. Blanket statements condemning an entire company on the basis of one experience are not responsible. Keeping it in context is important. Besides that, I thought we argued that all out a month or more ago.

J.

Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast