Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I received one of these with an expansion (two bikes total) from my significant other for my birthday. The only way I can describe how easy and fast it is to use is my seven year old took his own bike off in about 15 seconds without having ever seen me use the rack.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Pretty much narrowed it down between the Kuat NV and the 1Up. This is mostly going to carry AM or FR/DH bikes. It's going on a WRX Wagon.

My main concern is with flex. I hear the 1UP moves all over the place. Does anyone have experience with both a Kuat Sherpa or NV that can provide some feedback on which one is more stable? Both seem to be made from aluminum.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by liberatorx
    Pictures speak louder then words
    Are those the standard arm lengths they come with? Black looks awesome.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian
    Pretty much narrowed it down between the Kuat NV and the 1Up. This is mostly going to carry AM or FR/DH bikes. It's going on a WRX Wagon.

My main concern is with flex. I hear the 1UP moves all over the place...
    Where are you hearing this from? Certainly not from people who own 1up racks. I've used Thule, Saris, and 1up platform style racks and the 1up is hands-down the most secure and stable rack I've used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad
    Where are you hearing this from? Certainly not from people who own 1up racks. I've used Thule, Saris, and 1up platform style racks and the 1up is hands-down the most secure and stable rack I've used.

I should clarify what I mean by moving around. I mean not in the hitch, but the amout of sway and flex that it inhibits. Both side to side and up and down. Kind of the inherent nature of aluminum. I'm curious in that factor vs the Kuat NV as that does look beefier and more "stable".
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I should clarify what I mean by moving around. I mean not in the hitch, but the amout of sway and flex that it inhibits. Both side to side and up and down. Kind of the inherent nature of aluminum. I'm curious in that factor vs the Kuat NV as that does look beefier and more "stable".
    Mine doesn't do that. It's rock solid stable and more stable than the steel racks I've used.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Mine doesn't do that. It's rock solid stable and more stable than the steel racks I've used.

J.
    Glad to hear! Placed an order last night. Hope it ships soon!
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Let us know how you like it. How many trays?

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Let us know how you like it. How many trays?

J.
    Black Ano w/ 2 Trays.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm sorry, but I missed where you said you heard that from 1up owners? I don't think that anyone has had that complaint. Where did anyone talk about the inherent nature of aluminum lending itself to this kind of swaying? Didn't you mention in an earlier post that both the Kuat and the 1up are both made of aluminum? Wouldn't they both be susceptible to the problem of the flex which characterizes the "inherent nature of aluminum"?

The 1up isn't perfect. I am just wondering why you (or anyone else) would talk about what is a made up situation as if it were real? Where does that get anyone?

Edit: I saw you ordered some. You'll love it. And I know that 1up will honor their guarantee if you don't like it, so be critical-look at it closely. If it performs like you're afraid it will, send it back and report back here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm sorry, but I missed where you said you heard that from 1up owners? I don't think that anyone has had that complaint. Where did anyone talk about the inherent nature of aluminum lending itself to this kind of swaying? Didn't you mention in an earlier post that both the Kuat and the 1up are both made of aluminum? Wouldn't they both be susceptible to the problem of the flex which characterizes the "inherent nature of aluminum"?

The 1up isn't perfect. I am just wondering why you (or anyone else) would talk about what is a made up situation as if it were real? Where does that get anyone?

Edit: I saw you ordered some. You'll love it. And I know that 1up will honor their guarantee if you don't like it, so be critical-look at it closely. If it performs like you're afraid it will, send it back and report back here.
    It has been mentioned in this thread. There's about a page of conversation about it. 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Other threads on MTBR have also mentioned it. There was a discussion specific about aluminum being 10x more flexible then steel.

I've also read every review I can find via Google and notice similar remarks. Regardless, I trust the reviews here and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I saw a picture of the Kuat NV on an Audi A4 sedan and it just looked enormous. That right there was the decision maker. Add to the fact that 70% of the time I'll be alone with 1 bike, there really isn't anything other system that compares.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think the discussion on that particular post centered around the paranoia that many of us feel by just having a bike on the back of the car.

If you look at the 1UpUSA rack and see the width of the bracket that attaches to the trays and the solid bar of Aluminum that comes out of the hitch, I think you'll get an appreciation for the rigidity of the rack. Compare that width to many other racks which have only the single cross member coming out of the hitch and no additional bracing. There is pretty much no - as in zero - wobble (rotation/twisting) along the horizontal axis. If you have two bikes on the rack, the same pretty much applies for the up and down (vertical axis). I often have 4 bikes on mine for long trips from MN to CO and there is some up and down movement that way but nothing that I would consider any different and, in fact, probably less than I have seen on other steel racks I've had.

In point of fact, (I've mentioned this before), I hit a huge bump a year ago on I76 in a construction zone on the outskirts of Denver. I was going about 80mph, had missed the speed limit change so I was going way too fast. The car was a heavy Volvo XC90 crossover that I would not have been surprised if we had gone a bit airborne - in other words, a really big hit on this bump that I was fortunate did not do damage to the car or people in it. The rack had 4 mountain bikes on the back, each about 30-32lbs or so. The only thing that happened was that one of the tires got a little off one of the trays but it was retained by the rack. If the rack had gone up or down as much as I think you might be picturing it, it would have hit the pavement. That did not happen. Bear in mind, this was a massive hit, displaced stuff all through the car, everyone's seat belts locked tight as in a crash etc... Big deal. Bikes were no issue.

That was also with 4 heavy bikes. If you would have less on it (say 2) it will be locked on rock solid.

You do, with any bike that holds the bikes by the tires, get some bouncing from the tires. If you had a metal to metal contact, then it would be a different thing. But that's one of the things we are all trying to avoid in the first place - no contact with the frame of the bike.

Don't worry about the stability of this rack. You get this on the car and you'll see. It's locked on and very stable.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think the discussion on that particular post centered around the paranoia that many of us feel by just having a bike on the back of the car.

If you look at the 1UpUSA rack and see the width of the bracket that attaches to the trays and the solid bar of Aluminum that comes out of the hitch, I think you'll get an appreciation for the rigidity of the rack. Compare that width to many other racks which have only the single cross member coming out of the hitch and no additional bracing. There is pretty much no - as in zero - wobble (rotation/twisting) along the horizontal axis. If you have two bikes on the rack, the same pretty much applies for the up and down (vertical axis). I often have 4 bikes on mine for long trips from MN to CO and there is some up and down movement that way but nothing that I would consider any different and, in fact, probably less than I have seen on other steel racks I've had.

In point of fact, (I've mentioned this before), I hit a huge bump a year ago on I76 in a construction zone on the outskirts of Denver. I was going about 80mph, had missed the speed limit change so I was going way too fast. The car was a heavy Volvo XC90 crossover that I would not have been surprised if we had gone a bit airborne - in other words, a really big hit on this bump that I was fortunate did not do damage to the car or people in it. The rack had 4 mountain bikes on the back, each about 30-32lbs or so. The only thing that happened was that one of the tires got a little off one of the trays but it was retained by the rack. If the rack had gone up or down as much as I think you might be picturing it, it would have hit the pavement. That did not happen. Bear in mind, this was a massive hit, displaced stuff all through the car, everyone's seat belts locked tight as in a crash etc... Big deal. Bikes were no issue.

That was also with 4 heavy bikes. If you would have less on it (say 2) it will be locked on rock solid.

You do, with any bike that holds the bikes by the tires, get some bouncing from the tires. If you had a metal to metal contact, then it would be a different thing. But that's one of the things we are all trying to avoid in the first place - no contact with the frame of the bike.

Don't worry about the stability of this rack. You get this on the car and you'll see. It's locked on and very stable.

J.
    I agree with John, with 2 bikes attached the rack will be solid, you'll start noticing minimal sway with 3 bikes and at 4 expect to have butterflies in your stomach. I did have the opportunity to follow my wife home with 4 bikes attached to the rack, of course it was the one time she drove aggressively so I spent more time chasing her than observing the rack motion. But from what I did see the vertical motion wasn't nearly as bad at it appears in the rear view. My 4 bike setup will be put to a hard test this weekend, many of the bikes are very low end mountain type bikes, read extremely heavy, so the rack will be punished far more than it is when it's loaded with our <30# bikes.

As for the Al my understanding is that as long as it is heat treated properly after machining / cold working it is as strong as or stronger than steel. The downside is that Al unlike steel does have a fatigue limit, i.e. it will fail after a finite time. If properly designed the rack will not reach the fatigue limit in our lives. (Al is not my strong point so take the preceding as hearsay. I do some work with steel and the above information given to me from the heat treater I use)

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped
    But from what I did see the vertical motion wasn't nearly as bad at it appears in the rear view.
    That's the real issue, the "bouncing" looks terrible in the rear view, but that view is an illusion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It has been mentioned in this thread. There's about a page of conversation about it. 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Other threads on MTBR have also mentioned it. There was a discussion specific about aluminum being 10x more flexible then steel.

I've also read every review I can find via Google and notice similar remarks. Regardless, I trust the reviews here and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I saw a picture of the Kuat NV on an Audi A4 sedan and it just looked enormous. That right there was the decision maker. Add to the fact that 70% of the time I'll be alone with 1 bike, there really isn't anything other system that compares.
    One post is not a "page" of discussion. Also, consider the source: the poster has a hitch so crappy that they require a strap to be used to distribute the load. You're using his first use of the rack as a legitimate data point?

My point is, why bother repeating information that you don't know to be true? All of the discussion about the rack's movement has been by people who do not yet have the rack. BTW, I feel the same way about people who talk about bike junk that they've only read about. It's pointless and distracting.

mtbr member
    This x 100

That was my first time out with a hitch rack, so it was all new to me, babied it on the highway at 55 mph, looking in the rearview mirror every so often if I still haven't lost the bikes going over potholes.

Now I'm back to my normal driving habits () with 2 bikes in the back without a care in the world, red cargo strap is gone, and I still believe this rack is a wonderful $500 investment for many years to come. I would buy it over and over again. Loading the bikes is super easy, and taking the rack on and off is even easier.

the poster has a hitch so crappy that they require a strap to be used to distribute the load.

Far from it. I wouldn't consider a Curt hitch to be crappy. I tend to be paronoid, especially with $4,000+ worth of bikes dangling in the back.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek

Far from it. I wouldn't consider a Curt hitch to be crappy. I tend to be paronoid, especially with $4,000+ worth of bikes dangling in the back.
    The consensus I read when doing my research was that Curt was not as good as the competition. This is in the context of my car, though. The Curt hitch used half as many bolts at the frame rails and used the pan below the cargo area as a third mounting point. Seemed pretty weak.

Besides, you said yourself that the strap was
    ...more so for the hitch than the rack itself.
    Not really a vote of confidence. In addition, none of the paperwork that came with my hitch said
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from Curt.
    I apologize if my post came across as an attack. I was making a point that capitalized on your posts.

mtbr member
    Mine should be here today (hopefully). Birthday present from the wife, as my mountain bike is scratching up the interior of my FJ from loading/unloading. I almost went with the Thule 916, but decided in the end that for my needs, the 1up was probably a better fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Maybe all of you guys that are nervous about 1 and 2 bike setups should spend a day driving with a 4 bike setup. After a couple of 4 bike trips the rack will appear rock solid in a 2 tray configuration. At this point a 3 bike setup doesn't even make me uneasy. I'm still adjusting to the 4 bike configuration though. I'm hoping after toting 4 bikes 400 miles and using the rack on the recovery vehicle for 40 scouts this weekend will end the butterflies.

I'll follow up when I get back on Monday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from Curt.
    I think my Hidden Hitch had a paper that says that too! Let me see if it's still around the house and I will scan it in. I think I threw away the paper after installation.

mtbr member
    The consensus I read when doing my research was that Curt was not as good as the competition. This is in the context of my car, though. The Curt hitch used half as many bolts at the frame rails and used the pan below the cargo area as a third mounting point. Seemed pretty weak.
    What kind of car do you have?

When I was buying and researching all the hitches were the same for the Subaru WRX wagon, all used 4 mounting bolts to the frame and the Curt has the most clearance for upgraded exhausts so there's plenty of room for a bigger catback exhaust, all while retaining regular muffler hangers.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    I think my Hidden Hitch had a paper that says that too! Let me see if it's still around the house and I will scan it in. I think I threw away the paper after installation.
    Just double checked the etrailer.com site, only the Curt hitches have this sort of warnings, at least for Honda Fits and Subaru Impreza's. The installation .pdfs for all the hitches they sell are online.

What kind of car do you have?

When I was buying and researching all the hitches were the same for the Subaru WRX wagon, all used 4 mounting bolts to the frame and the Curt has the most clearance for upgraded exhausts so there's plenty of room for a bigger catback exhaust, all while retaining regular muffler hangers.
    I understand the need to accommodate aftermarket exhausts. FWIW I have a 09 Honda Fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For my car at least, looking at the quality of the other manufacturer's hitches... Curt has that warning because they are probably the only ones that do any real engineering in the design.

Whatever safety factors are designed into a hitch (Class 1 anyway) are definitely being used up when 3+ bikes are put out on a long lever arm and subjected to shocks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, no not so much. the tongue weight is also on a long lever arm as well.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone with 3+ bikes have any tips on lowering and raising the bike rack w/out breaking a back?

W/ 3 bikes on, I have to stretch to reach the black bar to tilt the rack up or down. I tried putting my legs in between the rack, press on the black bar and then lift the rack up an d that seems to be more work because you have to make sure the rack doesn't tilt you over. It's not easy holding onto about 55lbs(25+15+15) on just one side of your body while bending over to sqeeze the black bar in.

I plan on adding a 3rd add-on for 4 bikes total, and once I do that, I need to find an easier way to lower/raise the rack while squeezing the black bar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The 1up is a nice piece of engineering. Here it is on a Jeep Wranger JK. It's about 3-4" short for the pedals to clear the tire but by securing the bike off center, I can slip a pedal inside a wheel slot and lock it down. Very stable and I like how the bike hugs the tire close. Nice and compact... well, as compact as an XXL Stumpjumper 29er can get

I like it.

mtbr member
    What's the white stuff near the top of the wheel arms?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You mean these?

They are like a thick rubber band to keep the arms from scratching the base plate when folded up.

mtbr member
    Exactly that. Thanks!
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That came out to be a perfect fit with the tire. I like the black ano too. Looks great on your Jeep.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It dd fit just right. That black looks like it's part of the jeep and turned out better than I hoped. I see why everyone is so enamored with this rack. It's nothing short of sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What's the white stuff near the top of the wheel arms?
    No idea. To supress the sound over bumps? It was added just recently because my rack+add-on that came in about 2-3 weeks ago didn't have it and my most recent add-on that came in last week had it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey I just ordered a black ano with 2 black add-ons. I just noticed the website no longer shows a backorder on the black ones. That's even better now I don't need to wait that 30 day backorder!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Check your email

Quote Originally Posted by rixstark
    I also have one of these racks. I have owned lots of rack in my 20 years of cycling and it is by far the best. I love buying stuff like this. Extremely well thought out and extremely well made.

I actually have two mounts that I would like to sell. I bought them and have only used them a few times. I have 4 mounts total and only have a need for two. Is there anyone interested in purchasing them? PM me with a reasonable offer for the two, including shipping. I am in Ohio.
    Assuming you are talking about the extenders? If so let's try to work something out ....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The rack loaded with four bikes survived 200 miles of the Western PA Turnpike without a hitch (pun intended). Anyone that has ever driven the PA Turnpike knows that at times it's doesn't seem much better than a dirt road. There were a few times I would have bet the rack was going to hit the concrete. The vertical motion, as seen through the rear view mirror, is still quite disconcerting but I am learning not to look back while driving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    edthesped: How do you fold up all four rack after you remove all the bikes? I usually fold up my rack so no crazy drive will run into it or some kids start jumping it.

Lastly, anyone find that they need to tighten the anti-theft bolt about once a day? By the end of the day, I can still turn the bolt about another 180 degree. Maybe I'm overtightening it because I'm putting as much weight as I can while pushing downward too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    edthesped: How do you fold up all four rack after you remove all the bikes? I usually fold up my rack so no crazy drive will run into it or some kids start jumping it.

Lastly, anyone find that they need to tighten the anti-theft bolt about once a day? By the end of the day, I can still turn the bolt about another 180 degree. Maybe I'm overtightening it because I'm putting as much weight as I can while pushing downward too.
    Folding it is a Royal PITA...

I squeeze the locking bar and push it up vertical, the more I do it the easier it gets. This past weekend I left the car about 1/4 mile from the campground, I disassembled the rack and threw it in the back of the van.

There is no way I would ever attempt lowering it with all four bikes on. I'd remove the bikes to open the hatch before I'd try to lower and raise the bikes.

As far as the anti-theft bolt is concerned, I was wondering the same thing... Mine loosens every time I haul bikes. I could carry the bikes 4 miles and be able to get a 1/4 turn out of the anti theft bolt. I've been wondering if it is the rack or the hitch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped
    As far as the anti-theft bolt is concerned, I was wondering the same thing... Mine loosens every time I haul bikes. I could carry the bikes 4 miles and be able to get a 1/4 turn out of the anti theft bolt. I've been wondering if it is the rack or the hitch.
    That's what concerned me, not so much as the bikes bouncing around a little while driving on the freeway/road. I was thinking of buying something like cargo straps and strap the hitch receiver and bike rack in case the anti-theft bolt gets a little too loose. If it goes loose and because there is no anti-wobble pin, the straps will be holding the rack in vs the rack+bikes goes flying into the road and killing/injurying the person(s) behind my car.

I always double check and tighten the bolt before I load up the bikes.

Just thought of something: I think all that bouncing around on the bike is causing the ball to get press against the hitch receiver on and off. Imagine for a sec...the ball gets pushed against the hitch receiver w/ a great amount of force because the rack bounces. This cause the ball to get depress. Now, once the rack bounces the opposite directions, the ball is no longer pushing against the hitch receiver. It's now a little loose for a split second or so. Repeat this bouncing effect over and over and the ball will loosen up. Because the ball is depress a little more then before, it bounches even more excerting more pressure onto the ball, thereby, forcing the ball down more. The only think I can see to prevent the ball from getting depress is the anti-theft bolt and assuming it will NOT allow the ball to get depress a little each time the ball has a large amount of force pressed against the ball.

Hopefully, this makes sense.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You need to make sure the inside of your hitch is clean. What I do is put the rack on, drive for a few miles (or first gas stop) and tighten it again. Then it stays tight. When I do that, mine actually seems to tighten on a long trip (say 1000 miles or so). It's very tight when I try and take it off - using that system it doesn't loosen. We use our rack *all* the time and have taken it on three 2500 mile road trips and have had no issues with it loosening.

That said, anything you put in place will probably want to loosen in the first bit as everything seats (normal with any rack, hitch or roof). After a bit you should check it and re-tighten. If it continues to loosen, I'd call 1UpUSA after first making sure that (a) you had the rack ball back at least 1-1.5" into the receiver, that (b) the inside of the hitch is clean and free of any rust or dirt or other debris and (c) you tighten it as I explained.

Any rack that has 4 bikes out on a lever arm is going to appear to bounce. What I'd recommend you do is load up your rack and have someone drive it around wile you follow and watch in a different car. There is not much bounce. All the hitch racks of this type and similar styles all have some up and down with them. It's a long lever. Besides that, you're in the front and coming down from the bump as the rack is going up over the bump.

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    As I mentioned on a previous post, my rack came with a velcro strap as an added measure of security. I tighten the rack to the hitch, then add the velcro strap to hold the main crossbar of the strap to one of the chain holes on the hitch.

That said, my rack hasn't loosened up on me at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree with JohnJ80. I drive ~130mi/day, 6-7 days a week with a 37lb bike on and my rack never loosens up. I did check it frequently when I first got the rack and never noticed any loosening.

Do what John suggests. And maybe have someone else try and tighten it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    With one or two bikes the ball lock stays solid. 90% of the time that I use my rack I'm hauling 4 bikes. When the rain stops here in Pgh, I'm starting to think that may be never, I'll meet the wife and kids for a bike ride. I'll make sure to bring a video camera and will have my kid take a video of the bikes during the ride home and throw it up on youtube. That should answer many of the questions people have about the rack. The view is much more frightening from the rear view mirror than it is from another vehicle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc
    As I mentioned on a previous post, my rack came with a velcro strap as an added measure of security. I tighten the rack to the hitch, then add the velcro strap to hold the main crossbar of the strap to one of the chain holes on the hitch.

That said, my rack hasn't loosened up on me at all.
    And you really think that velcro strap will hold the rack in case it ever came loose? I don't think so.

For added security and having a point to lock my security cables, I have a small U-lock going into the hitch and then grabbing onto the main crossbar. Not only are the bikes secure this way, but the U-lock will prevent the rack from sliding out less than an inch or so from the receiver.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    it's just a small measure of added security. if the bolt came slightly loose the hitch wouldn't just all of a sudden fly off the car, it would likely back itself out a bit at a time. the velcro strap is better than nothing.

i like your idea of a lock though. but as the two posters above said, i haven't had any issues with the mount coming loose at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nor am I worried about theft. The U lock method is pretty slick though.

j.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey All,

I noticed that a lot of you received your orders quite fast. For the owners of the 1up black ano, how long did it take you to receive yours? I know the black ones were on backorder a while ago but I was under the impression that it is not anymore since they took that message off the 1up website. I placed an order 5 days ago and still haven't received a tracking #. Maybe Im being too anxious. Just wondering....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeezy
    I placed an order 5 days ago and still haven't received a tracking #. Maybe Im being too anxious. Just wondering....
    Mine took about 3-4 days before it shipped and took UPS 7 days to deliver. Slow for UPS. I think 1Up is low on inventory or something. Some people get their product ship out the same day. Others, like you and I, get our ship a few days later after placing the order.

My 2nd order for the 2nd add-on(so I can carry 3 bikes total) didn't ship the same day it was order also, but was a day or two faster then my initial order.

BTW, mine is the silver for all three.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Perhaps they are low on inventory. I'll wait a day or two more If I don't get an email informing me it has been shipped. I can understand they are a smaller outfit by reading all the past posts. If the product is as good as it is, it'll be worth the wait!

bike geek
    Anyone have any idea what changes have taken place over the years with the design of this rack? As I do with most "big" purchases, I check ebay to see if there are any better deals around, and found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    I contacted the seller, and was told "Our racks are quite a few years older and are the original design from 1UP." They couldn't quantify the changes. Have they changed arm length? Security? Weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

Looks pretty slick. I like the fact that is is super low profile, and does not block the taillights or license place when unloaded. I got popped for obstructed license plate a couple years ago with my Performance X-Port rack.
    how much?what size?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam View Post
    Anyone have any idea what changes have taken place over the years with the design of this rack? As I do with most "big" purchases, I check ebay to see if there are any better deals around, and found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    I contacted the seller, and was told "Our racks are quite a few years older and are the original design from 1UP." They couldn't quantify the changes. Have they changed arm length? Security? Weight?

the rack in that link looks totally different from the current 1up design. what are the arms made of? the section where the rack mounts into the trailer hitch is very narrow and bolted together?

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    the rack in that link looks totally different from the current 1up design. what are the arms made of? the section where the rack mounts into the trailer hitch is very narrow and bolted together?
    The more I looked at these, the more I realized they didn't pass the "smell test". The seller claimed they were "the original 1up design" but couldn't answer any questions beyond that. The auctions showed 5 available for the 2" and 4 available for the 1 1/4" one day, as well as a roof-mounted version, and they were all gone the next day. Really? Maybe some people on this tread saw the ebay link I posted and bought all of their supply, but a sudden run on overstock 1up racks? Doubtful. They also had an auction going for a 2-bike rack that looked nearly identical to the single bike 1up listing but was branded "Overland II" which a google search said was a "Jeep" brand. Plus the ultra-low $129 price. It all just smelled too fishy. Sometimes deals are too good to be true. I have a feeling this was one of them.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam View Post
    The more I looked at these, the more I realized they didn't pass the "smell test". The seller claimed they were "the original 1up design" but couldn't answer any questions beyond that. The auctions showed 5 available for the 2" and 4 available for the 1 1/4" one day, as well as a roof-mounted version, and they were all gone the next day. Really? Maybe some people on this tread saw the ebay link I posted and bought all of their supply, but a sudden run on overstock 1up racks? Doubtful. They also had an auction going for a 2-bike rack that looked nearly identical to the single bike 1up listing but was branded "Overland II" which a google search said was a "Jeep" brand. Plus the ultra-low $129 price. It all just smelled too fishy. Sometimes deals are too good to be true. I have a feeling this was one of them.
    I would not be surprised if they made an OEM run for Jeep - but that is obviously not a recent design. It would likely work fine for a single bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would be surprised if they did do something for Jeep. It's a really small company.

j.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I would be surprised if they did do something for Jeep. It's a really small company.

j.
    It looks exactly the same, as far as the holding mechanism. License? I wonder what it has for the hitch mechanism. And $209 for two bike rack. Dang.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How can you tell? The picture at the link doesn't show the part that fits into the receiver.

Could be a really old one - the seller is "bikesurplus." Maybe it's some guy that buys old bike shot inventory and resells it.

J.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    How can you tell? The picture at the link doesn't show the part that fits into the receiver.

Could be a really old one - the seller is "bikesurplus." Maybe it's some guy that buys old bike shot inventory and resells it.

J.
    I saw them on bikemania.biz - link. I have no idea what is the receiver construction, that is why I said "I wonder". Close up pictures of the rack itself that I found indicate that it is a pretty much identical holding mechanism for bikes. One review I found indicates that it is easy to instal and has "no wobble". Descriptions says "Installs & removes in seconds without tools. Folds down to 25" x 12" x 12"".
    Just curious. But at that price I can get a second two bike rack and keep the current single tray for the second car.

I never got my roof compatible version that you got. It is delayed again. They had explicitly promised it last July - when I was making the first order. I am about to give up and just get a second foldable tray - or this Jeep one.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I saw them on bikemania.biz - link.
    Yeah everything about that "Jeep" one looks identical to the 1up. Has to be a knock-off at that price. At $209 it's almost worth taking a shot on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Soo... weird but the other day someone followed me home to ask me about my 1up. A little unnerving...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I get fellow riders in the parking lot waiting for me to show them how it works. It's all good and means you've made a good decision if not a tasteful one.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I gave up waiting on roof compatible version, ordered a regular add-on. Would not be annoying if not for many promises over more then a year. Grrr.
    Theoretically, I would eventually need a third tray, but not sure. Maybe will just buy some Yakima roof rack.

mtbr member
    So if I were considering just a 1 bike rack, that is a trailer hitch mount, it seems this 1up and maybe the Raxter are two viable options. I like the $177 price tag of the Raxter over the $350 (black model) price tag of the 1up, is the 1up that much more better to pay that more?

I like the simplicity of the 1up and the Raxter Stinger, in black. So those are what I'm narrowing my choices down to. This 1up seems to be a great option, but a little on the expensive side, where the Raxter is in my price range, but might not have the same benefits that the 1up has.

I guess I tend to like the type like the 1up and Raxter Stinger because they are unobtrusive to the back of my SUV door. I don't have to remove it to get into the back etc. I'm not against the other types there the bikes hang higher but this type where they sit in a cradle and stand upright are very nice. So for me the extra money for that type might be worth it.

I can't seem to find any good used or new prices on the other hitch racks where the bike hangs, so I'm seriously considering something like the two previously mentioned.
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 07-17-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I have got an add on tray. Apparently they have almost double thickness of the frame - old bolts are way too short now. Fortunately it came with a pair of longer bolts that I was able to use - same thread size. Now the old frame look flimsy in comparison.

Arm attachment and tray extrusions were also beefed up. Arms are significantly longer.

Apparently, they are about to have a model with two trays for the base - and only 2" hitch compatibility. No trace of the roof rack compatible one, as was shown in this thread, that they have promised more then a year ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    So if I were considering just a 1 bike rack, that is a trailer hitch mount, it seems this 1up and maybe the Raxter are two viable options. I like the $177 price tag of the Raxter over the $350 (black model) price tag of the 1up, is the 1up that much more better to pay that more?

I like the simplicity of the 1up and the Raxter Stinger, in black. So those are what I'm narrowing my choices down to. This 1up seems to be a great option, but a little on the expensive side, where the Raxter is in my price range, but might not have the same benefits that the 1up has.

I guess I tend to like the type like the 1up and Raxter Stinger because they are unobtrusive to the back of my SUV door. I don't have to remove it to get into the back etc. I'm not against the other types there the bikes hang higher but this type where they sit in a cradle and stand upright are very nice. So for me the extra money for that type might be worth it.

I can't seem to find any good used or new prices on the other hitch racks where the bike hangs, so I'm seriously considering something like the two previously mentioned.
    I don't know about Raxter but the 1up is made in the USA and that adds to the production cost, (as one who works at a fab shop and watching large amounts of our core work being lost to China I gladly pay extra for American made but I digress). Also the 1up is made of extruded and machined Aluminum. I believe any welding or cold working of Al will require a stress relief step which also adds to the fabrication cost, for applications like this stress relieving of steel would not be required. What you gain by going Al vs steel is the comfort in knowing that your rack will never rust regardless of how much you may scratch the surface. A stainless rack would be cool but would also be much more expensive than a carbon steel rack and would also be heavier (than an Aluminum rack). The aesthetics of the 1up are quite nice as well, doesn't mean much to me as I haul my bikes on a beat up old van and if I'm only taking one or two bikes I fold the seats down and throw them in the back of the van. If I were to buy another rack tomorrow the 1up would be at the top of my list and the Kuat would be the only other rack on the list.

edited
    Last edited by edthesped; 07-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Which of the Kuat would compare to the 1 bike 1up? All I have a need for is 1 maybe 2 bikes to haul.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The prices seem to have gone way up. I got 4 of the trays, badged as U-haul saferack trays, back in 2003 for $90/tray. Good news is that these have held up wonderfully over the 9 years I've used them and I've mounted them on Yakima racks as well as steel piping from Home Depot. They also adjust to fit kids 20" wheel bikes and can handle a 3" wide DH tire (not that anyone uses those anymore). Mine look like this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/ventana/roof-rack-tray-la-bruja-206384.html#post2059451

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Which of the Kuat would compare to the 1 bike 1up? All I have a need for is 1 maybe 2 bikes to haul.
    I haven't looked too hard because I'm quite pleased with what I have but I would think it to be the NV. What puts the 1up at the top of my list is the fact that it's all metal and I really like the clamping mechanism. The NV has a lot of plastic on it and for me that's a negative.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you know you would only need one or two trays ever, the Raxter racks can be bought in that configuration. They are similar in their holding mechanism (in fact, I think there was some patent licensing 1UpUSA->Raxter on that one).

The 1UpUSA rack in a two pack is pretty doggone nice.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    .. Apparently they have almost double thickness of the frame - old bolts are way too short now. ... .
    Any chance you might include a picture of the new frame? Love to see it. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just got the 1up about a month ago. Ordered one tray and after the first use went straight to my computer to order a second tray. After using the tray style I'll never go back to playing bike tetris with a hanging style rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heppcat View Post
    I just got the 1up about a month ago. Ordered one tray and after the first use went straight to my computer to order a second tray. After using the tray style I'll never go back to playing bike tetris with a hanging style rack.
    Yeah thats a very attractive feature to me as well. Quick and easy to mount up and go.
    I'm sold on it, just have to budget for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by heppcat View Post
    LOL - great description!

We're in the middle of our annual western trip - turns into a 2500 mile round trip road trip with the 1UpUSA and 4 bikes. Our rack is pushing 8000 miles of cross country travel and it has been great.

This year we took our cross bikes - looking to do more long distance riding instead of MTB riding. Worked great again. It's a great rack. We have the basic rack and 3 add on kits. We only add what we need for any particular use - a huge feature compared to all other racks.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Mine's crooked now

Have any of you guys had an issue with your rack sitting crooked. I'm already in contact with 1up, but I'm just curious if anyone has had this problem. I've had the rack since last August, but never noticed this til about a month ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_0455.jpg  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    Have any of you guys had an issue with your rack sitting crooked. I'm already in contact with 1up, but I'm just curious if anyone has had this problem. I've had the rack since last August, but never noticed this til about a month ago.
    Try getting a level a checking your hitch. Like insert a straight pipe in there and check how level it it. The rack itself does not look bent in the picture, but it is obviously hard to tell.

mtbr member
    I'd hope the hitch on a nice Acura MDX would be level, but you never know and is hard to tell from this one photo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Try getting a level a checking your hitch. Like insert a straight pipe in there and check how level it it. The rack itself does not look bent in the picture, but it is obviously hard to tell.
    Yeah, it's kinda hard to tell from the one photo, but I sent a couple other pics to 1up and they said it needed a part to be replaced on the hitch. So, it's going back to 1up as soon as I receive my shipping label. Quick CS on their part. Hopefully turn around is just as fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What do you mean by sitting crooked? Do you mean the slight backwards angle on the bikes? If so, mine has done that since the day I got it - 8000+ miles with the rack on.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What do you mean by sitting crooked? Do you mean the slight backwards angle on the bikes? If so, mine has done that since the day I got it - 8000+ miles with the rack on.

J.
    Crooked=slanted. If you look at the rest of the pics on this forum and compare the way the bikes sit, you'll see an obvious difference. When I first got my rack, it sat leveled. Not sure what happened to cause this, but 1up is on top of it. I'll post another pic once I get it back from 1up just for comparative reasons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hmm. Mine has done that since Day 1. Why is that a problem? Is your hitch straight?

J.

mtbr member
    I just pushed the button and joined the ranks of you 1up owners! If you don't hear from me in a while its because my CFO (the wife) has killed me for this purchase. Even though 1/2 of it was paid from selling 3 old Dell LCD monitors in my closet collecting dust, Gazelle is a great place for that.

I'm super excited can't wait for it to get here! No more removing baby seats and pushing seats down and working the bike in the back of the SUV!!!

The guy who posted the YouTube video on his rack sold me, it looked awesomely built, and easy to install, DONE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just pushed the button and joined the ranks of you 1up owners! If you don't hear from me in a while its because my CFO (the wife) has killed me for this purchase. Even though 1/2 of it was paid from selling 3 old Dell LCD monitors in my closet collecting dust, Gazelle is a great place for that.

I'm super excited can't wait for it to get here! No more removing baby seats and pushing seats down and working the bike in the back of the SUV!!!

The guy who posted the YouTube video on his rack sold me, it looked awesomely built, and easy to install, DONE!
    Let us know how you like it. It's a really nice rack.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Has anyone here seen/tried the new 2" only/2 bike version?
    2010 GF X-Caliber
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Ventana ECDM (tandem)
    1996 Mantis Pro Floater

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I see some of you have the four bike setup anyone talk to 1up about how they've removed the four bike option and now only offer three?

I was ready to order until I saw this and called them. I said I needed to carry four 40lb bikes on dirt road shuttles but NOT OFF ROAD and they told me they didn't offer a product that would meet my needs. I assume this is because the only hitch option they offer is 1.25 inch that adapts up to 2 inch. Pretty weak engineering there IMO.

So what happens to the people who already have the under-engineered four bike option?

I understand a 2 inch option is in the works though so maybe next year?

Till then looks like North Shore has it all over these guys.

mtbr member
    What is North Shore?

mtbr member
    What is North Shore?
    Here.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I see some of you have the four bike setup anyone talk to 1up about how they've removed the four bike option and now only offer three?

I was ready to order until I saw this and called them. I said I needed to carry four 40lb bikes on dirt road shuttles but NOT OFF ROAD and they told me they didn't offer a product that would meet my needs. I assume this is because the only hitch option they offer is 1.25 inch that adapts up to 2 inch. Pretty weak engineering there IMO.

So what happens to the people who already have the under-engineered four bike option?

I understand a 2 inch option is in the works though so maybe next year?

Till then looks like North Shore has it all over these guys.
    No, not true. The reason is the hitch capacity and not the rack capacity. They can't offer a 1.25" rack and claim that it meets a 2" spec and have some knucklehead use it with 4 heavy bikes, have the receiver drop it, and then sue them saying it should have worked.

I have the 1.25" version that fits in a 2" hitch, we've run it over 8000 miles at high speed and hit massive bumps that should have probably damaged the car. No problems. We are, however, using it in a 2" hitch receiver.

The unique problem with a module rack is that you can add more capacity than the receiver or rack can hold. There is nothing that would prevent me from adding 5 bikes on the back with an additional bike kit.

North shore is great until you want to carry road or cross bikes. They specifically say it's only for mountain bikes. If you overload the North Shore rack over the receiver's capacity, you'll have the same issue if the receiver has a problem. Also, on a 1.25" hitch, they can only take 2 bikes vs 1UpUSAs 3 - presuming you don't overload the capacity of the hitch.

Driving your car with a hitch rack over rough terrain on a 1.25" hitch, I'd suggest a fair amount of caution anyhow. Shock loading on the receiver is potentially going to be a problem with almost any load you carry. 1.25" hitches have a tongue weight spec of <200lbs. Add the lever arm of any rack and a sudden drop with a sudden stop, and you can get to that point very quickly.

Have you asked North Shore if they warranty and recommend their product for use off road? I'd be very surprised if they did. "Off Road" covers a lot of territory in terms of use. They'd be fools to warranty their product under those conditions - anyone would.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't know what the warranty specifies I'll have to look into it. I do know a lot of people who put the North Shore to severe use with no problems. I have a 2" factory hitch on my Tundra rated at 500lbs unequalized tongue weight so that shouldn't be the weak link.

I currently run the Thule T2+2 and haven't had issues but I'm spooked by reports and pictures of failure.

North Shore offers a six bike bike version that they endorse for downhill bikes, maximum load 300lbs. That's a lot of confidence in their product. I'm not concerned with carrying road or cross bikes.

edit: crap that one requires a class IV/V hitch, I think mine's a class III.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Of course, any manufacturer is going to rate their product conservatively especially on a bike rack. If it fails, people could literally die. The same is true for 1UpUSA, North Shore or any manufacturer.

Even with a high tongue capacity, a fully loaded rack shock loaded is going to be put to the test in a big way. It's quite easy to get pretty severe G-loads when you drop (especially vertically). If you had bikes that weighed say 40lbs a piece x 6 or 240 lbs, a rack that weighs 50 lbs for a 290 lbs, or 300 lbs to use round numbers. If you get a 1 G shock load that would effectively double the weight instantaneously to 600lbs (somewhat mitigated by suspension assuming it doesn't bottom out) and maybe cause problems with either rack and maybe your receiver - at least at that point, you'd be beyond the receiver's spec.

Another way of looking at it is to take a 134kg load (i.e. that 300lbs) and drop it 0.2m (~8"). That will generate an average force impact of 1969 newtons or roughly 18-19,000lbs of force. Of course, some (much of this)of this is mitigated by vehicle suspension, very careful driving etc... but you get an idea of how difficult a problem this can be for a rack or receiver manufacturer. I guess, I'd not recommend using any rack off road and expecting it to be without problems.

You can play with the numbers here:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/flobi.html

J.

oil
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just got an email from 1up.. roof tray version is available now.

1upusa.com/rooftray.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool. And to think I have the very first one.....

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Of course, any manufacturer is going to rate their product conservatively especially on a bike rack. If it fails, people could literally die. The same is true for 1UpUSA, North Shore or any manufacturer.

Even with a high tongue capacity, a fully loaded rack shock loaded is going to be put to the test in a big way. It's quite easy to get pretty severe G-loads when you drop (especially vertically). If you had bikes that weighed say 40lbs a piece x 6 or 240 lbs, a rack that weighs 50 lbs for a 290 lbs, or 300 lbs to use round numbers. If you get a 1 G shock load that would effectively double the weight instantaneously to 600lbs (somewhat mitigated by suspension assuming it doesn't bottom out) and maybe cause problems with either rack and maybe your receiver - at least at that point, you'd be beyond the receiver's spec.

Another way of looking at it is to take a 134kg load (i.e. that 300lbs) and drop it 0.2m (~8"). That will generate an average force impact of 1969 newtons or roughly 18-19,000lbs of force. Of course, some (much of this)of this is mitigated by vehicle suspension, very careful driving etc... but you get an idea of how difficult a problem this can be for a rack or receiver manufacturer. I guess, I'd not recommend using any rack off road and expecting it to be without problems.

You can play with the numbers here:
    XXXX

J.

Yeah I understand the forces involved but you must have missed my statement earlier that I do not intend to use this in off-road situations, rough forest roads at worst. I told the 1up people this too. I guess it's semantics but even though I have a high clearance 4X4 I basically I don't shuttle on anything your average Subaru couldn't make it up. I wouldn't expect any rack to hold up to true off-road use for long.

FWIW though North Shore does endorse their product for "off-road use", whatever that means.

I like the 1up, I really do, but it doesn't seem to meet my needs ie: 2" receiver, 4 bike capacity. Then there's the price, $900 for four bikes, $1100 for the black anodized, which you can't even get, so say $700 for three bikes, vs. $545 for four bikes or $720 for six bikes with NSR.

I guess it just boils down to the need to carry road/cross/hybrid bikes, which I don't have.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Just got an email from 1up.. roof tray version is available now.

1upusa.com/rooftray.htm
    Does not look like it can be used with the hitch rack separately - can it? No information there.

oil
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does not look like it can be used with the hitch rack separately - can it? No information there.
    I was expecting they would design it that way.. but i guess not (based on the pics)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Yeah I understand the forces involved but you must have missed my statement earlier that I do not intend to use this in off-road situations, rough forest roads at worst. I told the 1up people this too. I guess it's semantics but even though I have a high clearance 4X4 I basically I don't shuttle on anything your average Subaru couldn't make it up. I wouldn't expect any rack to hold up to true off-road use for long.

FWIW though North Shore does endorse their product for "off-road use", whatever that means.

I like the 1up, I really do, but it doesn't seem to meet my needs ie: 2" receiver, 4 bike capacity. Then there's the price, $900 for four bikes, $1100 for the black anodized, which you can't even get, so say $700 for three bikes, vs. $545 for four bikes or $720 for six bikes with NSR.

I guess it just boils down to the need to carry road/cross/hybrid bikes, which I don't have.
    No worries.

My bet is that North Shore hasn't talked to their insurance agent about this. Looks like an interesting rack but I personally have 3 bikes (and so does most everyone in my family) and only one of the three would work on it (besides the fact I've sworn off racks touching the frame finish).

j.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm thinking about buying a 1up rack and a second carrier so I can take two bikes. I think this thread has sold me on it over cheaper racks, but I have a question...

I drive an '07 Honda Civic and I'm wondering if the second tray would obstruct my license plate when the rack is folded up? I could only find a picture of one tray on a civic, and it looks like a second tray would be alright, but I can't really tell.
    http://nuxx.net/gallery/v/acquired_s..._6137.jpg.html
    Can someone measure the height of the rack with two trays from the hitch to the top of the rack when it is in the vertical position?

My only other concern is that I don't trust 1 1/4" hitches, but I can't find a 2" hitch for the Civic. I understand the weight rating is a limitation of my car, but it just seems like the interface in a 1 1/4" receiver is too small to adequately prevent swaying. Plus, a while back I went on a 2000 mile road trip in the 4runner with a 2" receiver Hollywood hanging style rack with carrying 4 bikes, and by the time we got back the rack was noticeably bent. When I pulled it out there was visible deformation of the bar stock that goes in the receiver, and it's 1/4" thick steel! Of course I won't carry four bikes on the civic, but I'm just kind of paranoid about it.

I guess anything will be better than the 3 bike trunk mount rack I have now. It takes three bungee cords to fully secure my FS bike on it. One to hold the seat tube to the rack, one for the front wheel, and on the back wheel to keep it from swinging so the pedal doesn't hit my bumper. If I have it loaded with 3 bikes, it bounces like crazy when I hit bigger bumps, which are unavoidable on the city streets. That can't be good for the trunk!

I could get pro deal pricing on a Yakima or Kuat rack, but I think the 1up is worth the premium for the convenience of storing it in the trunk or in my apartment.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wouldn't be paranoid about it. I have the version that goes into the either receiver size. I've carried 4 bikes on it cross country 3 times (about 8000 miles on it). No issues whatsoever despite hitting a massive bump at 80mph.

Because of the way that they do the 1.25 or 2" compatibility, any sway you would get from 1.25 you would also get in the 2" configuration on my rack. There is virtually no side to side sway at all. There is some motion in the vertical plane as you would expect with a lever arm off the back of your car. With 4 bikes on the rack, I'd characterize the maximum vertical movement to be 8" or so either with mountain bikes or road bikes. It looks like a lot more in your back window but if you watch it with your side mirror so you can visually compare it to the car side or watch it from another car, you see what it really is and that it is minimal even with 4 bikes. With 2 bikes, it's going to be very solid and hardly move at all in any direction - it's going to be like it's part of your car.

They also have a 100% refund policy and a lifetime guarantee. Get it and try it out. If you don't like it, you can send it back.

I doubt you can even find a 2" hitch for your car if it isn't rated for towing at that level.

Either way, I like the 1.25" version since you can make it work in a 2" hitch (if it's still like mine). Maximum flexibility.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No worries.

My bet is that North Shore hasn't talked to their insurance agent about this. Looks like an interesting rack but I personally have 3 bikes (and so does most everyone in my family) and only one of the three would work on it (besides the fact I've sworn off racks touching the frame finish).

j.
    I have seven bikes and four of them will fit on a North Shore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    n+1 strikes again.

I just got rid of 2 others. Neither of those would fit the North Shore either.

j.

mtbr member
    I purchased a 1up a few days ago, but have not seen any email replies or acknowledgements, just the paypal receipt that I paid. Is this normal behavior from 1up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    just call them.

j.

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 584