Page 58 of 92 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2292
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    That looks like a good fit, but it's no smaller than the Kryptonite mini-U lock that was mentioned earlier. It looks slightly longer, in fact.

I don't use my U-lock all that frequently, but it's nice to have it on hand for when I want the option.

I actually had missed the Kryptonite link, haven't been through this thread in a while. I do see the Kryptonite is $46, and the Bell lock I got was under $10. Anyway, it's one more option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What locks your hitch to your car?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow450 View Post
    Your trailer hitch assembly is bolted to your car. I drive a Nissan altima. The uhual installer had to remove my mufflers and bolt it in. The bolts are accessed through the trunk of my car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow450 View Post
    Is this a serious question?
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloriDave View Post
    I actually had missed the Kryptonite link, haven't been through this thread in a while. I do see the Kryptonite is $46, and the Bell lock I got was under $10. Anyway, it's one more option.
    My original intent was to also use a U type lock to lock the rack to the receiver but the design of the side loops on the receiver for my Accord doesn't allow me to lock it that way. The receiver on my wife's RAV4 will work but not on the Accord so I have to use a cable lock to secure the rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Why do you think you need to add a lock to the rack?

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post

J.
    Peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    LOL.

Ok, I guess.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As I said earlier, paranoia is a prerequisite for ownership.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just because you ARE paranoid doesn't mean that they AREN'T out to get you.

But I wish you peace and not having to worry so much. The standard special tool is security enough.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    !!!KAPOW!!!
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358559003.902245.jpg

Fatties fit fine (to steal a phrase).

Love it. Beats all the other racks I've tried. Will be ordering add-ons fer sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just received a black 1Up rack and mounted to my wife's 2002 Acura RSX. Definitely an improvement over the Thule trunk rack that (by design), latched over the glass. Although never any issues, visions of shattered glass and an airborne Mojo SL made me pull the trigger on the 1Up.

Build quality is exceptional and I was surprised at how lightweight the rack is. Setup was a breeze and the rack locked into the hitch without any play.

The only concern I have is that when I mount my Mojo SL to the rack, there is a fair amount of side to side play. The arms are snug on the tires, bike even between arms, and arms as close to 90* as possible.

After looking closer, it seems like this play comes from the notches where you can change the orientation of the rack. (horizontal, or tilted down to access the trunk).

Is this normal? I assume I'm just being paranoid, but seeing the bike "wiggle" in the rear-view mirror (even over small bumps) is a bit unnerving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    After looking closer, it seems like this play comes from the notches where you can change the orientation of the rack. (horizontal, or tilted down to access the trunk).

Is this normal? I assume I'm just being paranoid, but seeing the bike "wiggle" in the rear-view mirror (even over small bumps) is a bit unnerving.
    Are you tightening the black screw clamp down on the bar that slides in to those notches? I notice my rack has much more play before it is tightened down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Are you tightening the black screw clamp down on the bar that slides in to those notches? I notice my rack has much more play before it is tightened down.
    Yup. I noticed a big decrease in the wobble when I tightened that black knob (behind the bar). Unfortunately, I still get wobble somewhere.

I've now notched a few 2hr driving trips with the bike loaded (up to 80mph) and although the bike is wobbling a bit, the arms are staying locked (not moving on the tires at all) so I guess there's no issues.

I'm just curious since everyone raves about no wobble. If you grab the top of the bike frame and try to move forward and back, how much movement do you other guys see with your 1up?

ballbuster
    Wow. Sweet Fatbike!

Yeah, it was an added bonus to see that a Fatbike fits in these racks just fine. I had to let a bit of air out of the tires, but that's not a big deal. I brought a Pugsley down from one friend who was selling one to another who was going to drive it to somebody else in SoCal. Easy Peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    !!!KAPOW!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358559003.902245.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	754124

Fatties fit fine (to steal a phrase).

Love it. Beats all the other racks I've tried. Will be ordering add-ons fer sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you mean left to right, none.

If you mean towards the front of the car and the rear of the car, a little.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    If you mean left to right, none.

If you mean towards the front of the car and the rear of the car, a little.
    Front of the car to back of the car.

When I'm driving, I can see the bike moving this way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, the headset will always allow for some rotation which presents as front to back movement. If it makes you feel any better, I've used Thule, Saris, Kuat, and Xport racks and they all have close (Kuat) or a lot more movement (everyone else) and aren't as easy to use as the 1up.

It's fine. It looks worse than it is. Follow your car in someone else's car and see for yourself. The distortion/perspective from inside your car/through your rearview mirror seems to exaggerate the movement (I guess this is prob true of the other racks, too).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Well, the headset will always allow for some rotation which presents as front to back movement. If it makes you feel any better, I've used Thule, Saris, Kuat, and Xport racks and they all have close (Kuat) or a lot more movement (everyone else) and aren't as easy to use as the 1up.

It's fine. It looks worse than it is. Follow your car in someone else's car and see for yourself. The distortion/perspective from inside your car/through your rearview mirror seems to exaggerate the movement (I guess this is prob true of the other racks, too).
    Thank you for the assurance! I'll feel a lot better now knowing I'm seeing the expected amount of "play".

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I took the plunge on this awesome rack. My old rack was beginning to rust out and this is pretty much the king rack of all racks. Honestly, it's in a class all it's own, but I think we all know this already

I bought the fat-bike kit and it's super awesome. My old rack was awkward to cram the fatbike onto. I also bought the wheel lock 1UPUSA.com :: Wheel Lock - though that is only compatible with the normal tray (not the fatbike tray due to width) This lock is essentially a coupler lock and I've looked around for wider ones, but they're just not made apparently.

Anyone have any leads on a similar locking system that would accommodate the fat-bike tray width (somewhere over 5"?) I like the coupler system due to it simplicity, though I have a cable I use currently.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post

J.
    For me, besides the added security, the U-Lock provides an additional fail-safe to the ball-wedged mechanism. I almost passed up on this wonderful rack because I didn't feel comfortable without a hitch bolt/pin, until I saw the U-Lock idea. I forgot who originally came up with this since this thread seems to go forever , but whoever it was...thank you

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    After 40K miles I can say that mine has never come loose or close to loose even while taking my car off-road. However YMMV..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    My rack came with a velcro strap as a safety just in case the ball did come loose. I'm sure others got one, too. I know it's not really needed and was provided for piece of mind sake but I still use a lock anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Purchased a used 1up rack from another forum. Got the rack and the ball bearing is missing, bolt is not there and the internal slide piece is also missing. Anyone have a picture of what these pieces look like. Trying to fix this weekend so I can use the rack. Might have to wait and call 1Up on Monday. Any information would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_iv View Post
    Purchased a used 1up rack from another forum. Got the rack and the ball bearing is missing, bolt is not there and the internal slide piece is also missing. Anyone have a picture of what these pieces look like. Trying to fix this weekend so I can use the rack. Might have to wait and call 1Up on Monday. Any information would be appreciated.
    I hope you got a really good price on it because you may have to send it back to 1Up for repair unless you're extremely handy. Just check out their website and youtube and you'll see what it looks like.

Page 58 of 92 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 ... LastLast