Page 57 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2335
    Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I haven't actually measured the wrench, but unless it is a non-standard size, you can indeed buy it. Not at Home Depot or Lowe's, but it is possible.

That said, it is very unlikely that any random thief will have a wrench that fits on their person. It definitely isn't something that I'd worry about.
    I was told: "We make our own wrenches which are not available anywhere in stores. We have never had a customer's rack get stolen to our knowledge yet."

Regardless.... I agree with you. It seems highly unlikely anyone would have it (save a fellow 1UP owner, kinda funny). It actually says on their website that they would replace a stolen one. I'm very pleased with this company's product and customer support to date.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It is a custom security hex tool...

mcmaster carr has them, but only to 1/4". Don't see anything on Snap-on's site

mtbr member
    My reasoning for attaching the U-lock to the bike rack and trailer hitch is to prevent another person with the custom hex tool (1upusa bike rack owner) from stealing my rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    My reasoning for attaching the U-lock to the bike rack and trailer hitch is to prevent another person with the custom hex tool (1upusa bike rack owner) from stealing my rack.
    That's what I'm afraid of.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What are you trying to say about 1up rack owners?
    Do you really think that a person that would buy that expensive of a bike rack would be out stealing them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you got the add-on... do you have another U-lock to secure that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of.
    Uh, if the custom tool was made by 1UpUSA (it is) and if it comes with the rack, why would someone who owns the rack want to steal yours? Isn't that a really, really, really small population of rack thieves?

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Do we think that there are a lot of rack thieves out there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Uh, if the custom tool was made by 1UpUSA (it is) and if it comes with the rack, why would someone who owns the rack want to steal yours? Isn't that a really, really, really small population of rack thieves?

J.
    Granted, the chances of that happening is very low but it gives me a piece of mind. Just paranoid I guess.

mtbr member
    This is right off there web page. "We are so confident that our security system will prevent rack theft that if your Quik-Rack is stolen off your vehicle we will replace it for FREE!"

I would worry more about the bike on the rack than the rack.

mtbr member
    Guess I should be even more paranoid then as recently I lost my key. Pretty sure I left it in one of the trays and went on my way and fell off somewhere between the house and the trail parking lot. Never did find it as I went back that night and didn't see it, it's still probably somewhere on the side of the road. As for the key, 1UP will sell you extra ones for $10/each.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Granted, the chances of that happening is very low but it gives me a piece of mind. Just paranoid I guess.
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Then again, since 1UpUSA guarantees to replace the rack if it's stolen, I'd not worry about it. Heck you could call them and ask them how many times they've had to make good on that claim. My bet is zero.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Then again, since 1UpUSA guarantees to replace the rack if it's stolen, I'd not worry about it. Heck you could call them and ask them how many times they've had to make good on that claim. My bet is zero.

J.
    It's not the rack I'm worried about. It's my $4000+ bike mounted to it that I'm worried about. It they take the rack, they'll also have the bike and I doubt 1up USA will replace that, too. Yes, I can lock the bike to the rack but they'll have plenty of time removing the lock once they have the whole thing in their possession.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There is no help for that. A battery powered reciprocating saw would be through that aluminum rack in less than 30 seconds, or any rack for that matter.

No rack will protect that bike from theft.

Besides that, imagine the image of a bike thief dragging your rack AND the bike down the street. The fact is, they will concentrate on stealing the bike and they won't give a rip about the rack.

Bolt cutters will make a <10s job of a cable to attach the bike to the car/rack.

J.

mtbr member
    The replacement warranty does make me feel better about the rack getting stolen. However, there's no way I would ever leave my bike unattended on the bike rack. Locked, shackled, whatever... My baby is always in eyesight of me or a friend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I swear a pre-req for owning this rack is overwhelming paranoia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I swear a pre-req for owning this rack is overwhelming paranoia
    I also wear a aluminum foil helmet when I ride....

mtbr member
    I guess everyone's situation is different. In my area (greater NYC) there are lots of professional bike thieves who would go around in cargo vans and target expensive bikes. Just the other week I read that they caught people with 2 vans full of "high end" bikes that were obviously stolen. So they have no problems taking bikes still attached to racks and throwing them in the van and take off for their "chop shop". I don't usually keep my bike on the rack but at times it is unavoidable. After our rides we usually to grab a bite to eat so we're forced to leave the bike on the rack while in the restaurant. We also go on long trips with our bikes so at times they're left on the rack unattended either at rest stops, restaurants, etc. I think an ounce of prevention is worth it's weight in gold. I know no locks will always prevent a professional bike thief from taking it but a little bit of deterrent will keep an honest man honest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

1UP bike rack OK for road/touring bikes?

Hi, guys -

Thanks for all your great feedback! I'm nearly sold on the 1UP as a bike rack for loading my heaving cruiser/touring bike onto my 2012 Mazda 3 5-door hatchback.

Last question - has anyone put a regular road bike (i.e. a bike with slim tires) on the 1UP rack? I might have reason to also lug a lighter-weight bike on this rack. However, I'm not sure if a slimmer-tire'ed bike will sit securely on the 1UP and not shimmy back and forth on this rack. All the pictures I've seen of the rack show it holding mountain bikes with fat tire.

Any input?

Thanks!!
    BigSky3

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Any bike with any tire size, or width, fits on the 1Up rack. No worries, it works like a charm.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I also wear a aluminum foil helmet when I ride....
    Wise

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky3 View Post
    Hi, guys -

Thanks for all your great feedback! I'm nearly sold on the 1UP as a bike rack for loading my heaving cruiser/touring bike onto my 2012 Mazda 3 5-door hatchback.

Last question - has anyone put a regular road bike (i.e. a bike with slim tires) on the 1UP rack? I might have reason to also lug a lighter-weight bike on this rack. However, I'm not sure if a slimmer-tire'ed bike will sit securely on the 1UP and not shimmy back and forth on this rack. All the pictures I've seen of the rack show it holding mountain bikes with fat tire.

Any input?

Thanks!!
    BigSky3
    Do it all the time. Works great. I carry my road bike on this all the time.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I guess everyone's situation is different. In my area (greater NYC) there are lots of professional bike thieves who would go around in cargo vans and target expensive bikes. Just the other week I read that they caught people with 2 vans full of "high end" bikes that were obviously stolen. So they have no problems taking bikes still attached to racks and throwing them in the van and take off for their "chop shop". I don't usually keep my bike on the rack but at times it is unavoidable. After our rides we usually to grab a bite to eat so we're forced to leave the bike on the rack while in the restaurant. We also go on long trips with our bikes so at times they're left on the rack unattended either at rest stops, restaurants, etc. I think an ounce of prevention is worth it's weight in gold. I know no locks will always prevent a professional bike thief from taking it but a little bit of deterrent will keep an honest man honest.
    If there are professional bike thieves around, they have bolt cutters and reciprocating saws. Either one will make short work of any rack or method of locking your bike to the rack. There is little you can do to stop these guys - they specialize in getting it gone in under 60 seconds (usually way under). They aren't going to steal your rack, they are going to take your bike. The rack is the least of your worries.

As far as rest stops and restaurants on most highways. Once out of urban areas, the risk is considerably down. No matter what, at rest stops leave someone with the car and if you stop to get something to eat, park the car right by the window where you are eating so you can watch it.

Have good insurance and, if you want, a cable to lock the bike to prevent casual theft as long as you are watching your stuff.

Living in NYC, you need to get out a bit. The rest of the world is not quite like that (by a long ways) for bike theft. You are in the belly of the beast.

J.

mtbr member
    I've looked a few times and had yet to find just what I wanted for a lock to lock my 1UP rack to my Mazda 3. Found one today so thought I'd post it up for others that may be looking for the same.

(I know it's doubtful anyone would have the needed tool to remove the rack from the hitch, but at the price of this rack and how quickly it can be removed if you DO have the right tool, it will make me feel better when my car is sitting at a remote trailhead and I'm out riding)

I stopped in at Walmart and they had a BELL Pocket U-Lock that fits PERFECTLY. They had blue and silver colors and it's a heavy little chunk of steel.
    Most of the U-locks I've seen seem to big, at least on my small Mazda.

Below are pictures of exactly what I bought.

beater
    That looks like a good fit, but it's no smaller than the Kryptonite mini-U lock that was mentioned earlier. It looks slightly longer, in fact.

I don't use my U-lock all that frequently, but it's nice to have it on hand for when I want the option.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Page 57 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 ... LastLast