Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2292
    ballbuster

Whelp...

Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    These are interesting solutions. Do you have pictures of them being used on the rack? I'm curious as to how you use them.
    The chain and locks have nothing to do with the rack. The bike is locked to the car. I locked it directly to the hitch receiver. I'll try and take pics next time I rack it up.

There was somebody who posted earlier who actually found a U-Lock that bolted around the trailer hitch and around the 1UpUSA rack.

Oh, on a side note I found one minor flaw with the rack:

1Up used standard SAE size bolts!! They should be metric!!

Which is fine, but some of my bolts loosened up, namely the allen bolt that tips up and down to lock the trays. And, one of the bolts that the tray swivels around. In 1Up's defense, my mounting plate was damaged when somebody's car bumped my car when parked, breaking the locks off. I replaced the tray plate myself and bolted the trays on. I may have not tightened them down to the right torque. I guessed.

Anyway, it sent me scrounging around the shop trying to find SAE sized allen wrenches and open ended wrenches. Half inch, 9/16, 3/16 allen... dudes?!?

mtbr member
    Ahhh, I thought you used the lock to secure the bike rack to the trailer hitch.

Let me get this straight. You secured the small U-lock to the trailer hitch and ran a chain through the U-lock?

beater
    I think eurospek posted the original picture. I copied him. A smaller, 7" U lock will fit through the chain loop on the hitch and around the rack body. I don't have a picture of it on my phone. I don't bother around town, but I do use it on road trips. That's for the rack only. I also run a cable through the U lock and around the bike while traveling.

Around town I lock my bike directly to the spare wheel, since that's easiest. I have a rubber coated and steel jacketed Abus cable for that.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I think eurospek posted the original picture. I copied him. A smaller, 7" U lock will fit through the chain loop on the hitch and around the rack body. I don't have a picture of it on my phone. I don't bother around town, but I do use it on road trips. That's for the rack only. I also run a cable through the U lock and around the bike while traveling.

Around town I lock my bike directly to the spare wheel, since that's easiest. I have a rubber coated and steel jacketed Abus cable for that.
    See page 39 of this thread for the picture.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I too was of that logic last season when I was looking at racks (always thinking the worst lol). But I am glad I bought the 1up 2 bike combo last year. I just couldn't stomach paying a little less or even the same in some instances for the Thule/Yakima/Kuat steel garbage offerings at the time. Mine still looks new, operates flawlessly, and never had a problem with mine. And always get numerous comments/questions at the trail head parking lot about it.

But to make me sleep better at night, I have a Kryptonite mini U-lock going thru the rack and the hitch metal loop, so even if the locking bolt ever fails, the rack isn't going to slide out anywhere, there's basically less than an inch of leeway with this, and still safely inserted in my hitch.

And disregard the red strap, no longer in use.

Amazon.com: Kryptonite Evolution Mini Bike U-Lock: Sports & Outdoors

Google

mtbr member
    Yup, that U-Lock works perfectly for me.

Thanks for digging up the pic.

Proud American
    I just got mine (a two tray) a few days ago. I freakin love it!. It's so well made. The tooling, components, design, look, ease of use, etc. It's one of those products that feel and look worth the money you spend on it. Any financial hesitancy will be swept away with joy once you get it. I love seeing it on the back of my FJ. I love seeing it loaded with bikes. And, I love taking it out to the trails. I wish it was my company. They deserve tremendous success! And... it's made in the USA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    With the recent Pugsley purchase I think it is time to ditch the old style T2 and pick of these things up. Thanks everyone on the thread for helping making the decision easier.
    2011 RM Altitude 29er
    2010 Surly Pugs 1x9

mtbr member
    You won't be sorry! Best rack ever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi, FloriDave -

It just occurred to me that the weight of my bike might matter. (D'uh!) I have a lot of accessories on my bike, so that the whole bike weighs about 40 lbs. Do you think the 1UP (or the Kuat Sherpa) would be able to hold that much weight? (I'm asking 1UP and Sherpa that question, but it's helpful to hear a (perhaps more accurate) answer from someone who actually owns such a bike rack, lol.)

As a memory-jogger, I'm thinking of putting the 1UP or Kuat Sherpa on my 2012 Mazda3 5-door hatchback.

Thanks!!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

BigSky3, you don't have to worry as I sit on my rack when the bike is of off it. I put a flip-flop or towel down and sit in the middle on the rack. No issues and I am over 200#...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky3 View Post
    Hi, FloriDave -

It just occurred to me that the weight of my bike might matter. (D'uh!) I have a lot of accessories on my bike, so that the whole bike weighs about 40 lbs. Do you think the 1UP (or the Kuat Sherpa) would be able to hold that much weight? (I'm asking 1UP and Sherpa that question, but it's helpful to hear a (perhaps more accurate) answer from someone who actually owns such a bike rack, lol.)

As a memory-jogger, I'm thinking of putting the 1UP or Kuat Sherpa on my 2012 Mazda3 5-door hatchback.

Thanks!!
    It won't matter at all to the rack. The weak link is the hitch, but one 40 lb bike on that rack should be well within your hitch rating.

70-odd pounds of bike on my 1-Up:
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have to say "Wow!"

I got my new rack delivered today and it is an impressive piece of equipment! I got the two bike rack in black and put it on my Jeep JK and it fits perfectly. I'm very happy. If anyone is on the fence about getting this I just have one thing to say "Do it!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    It won't matter at all to the rack. The weak link is the hitch, but one 40 lb bike on that rack should be well within your hitch rating.

70-odd pounds of bike on my 1-Up:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Up.jpg 
Views:	1110 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	746414
    I think 1-Up is the only rack that you can offset bikes like that.
    Best rack out there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks, Rock dude and Evasive!!! That was super helpful!

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    Can someone post a side view pic of the rack folded up when not in use. I have 20'' between my wall and the hitch pin hole on my 4runner and I just want to make sure the rack will fit on my runner while in the garage.
    thanks

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    Can someone post a side view pic of the rack folded up when not in use. I have 20'' between my wall and the hitch pin hole on my 4runner and I just want to make sure the rack will fit on my runner while in the garage.
    thanks
    I don't have a 4 runner so bumper to hitch ratio could be off a little but for my VW golf it sticks out 6 3/4 from the bumper to the furthest point out on the rack when folded. Guessing it should be real close to the same.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    thanks
    There are a number of those already posted, although I agree this thread has gotten unwieldy.

This pic was posted by LittleBuddy on page 42:

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    Wow that's great my old thule stuck out nearly 20".

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Read through this whole thread and decided to buy this rack. Just getting back in to biking, and loving it so far. Love this freakin' rack too. Solid, well-built, and everyone who has seen it has complimented it. Such a fine piece of metal. Fits my 29er well.

Can't post pics yet, but it looks just like everyone elses

mtbr member

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Just curious, did you buy this combination of locks?

Amazon.com: Kryptonite Evo Mini-7 with 4-Foot Flex Lock: Sports & Outdoors
    Yup. Four feet is shorter than you imagine, btw.

Proud American
    I just had a nice email conversation with someone at 1UP. I want to clarify a couple things that are important for this thread.

The Allen Wrench that is provided is made by (or for) 1UP! That means you cannot buy it in a hardware store. So, it is essentially self locking and thief proof, as the locking mechanism is internal. 1UP is not aware of any hitch rack ever being stolen off a car.

I was emailing them, because, I had wobble where the 'extender' enters the hitch. It turned out to be my error, as I forgot to use the washer. Now, there is no wobble at all.

This rack is the bomb! I freakin love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    I just had a nice email conversation with someone at 1UP. I want to clarify a couple things that are important for this thread.

The Allen Wrench that is provided is made by (or for) 1UP! That means you cannot buy it in a hardware store. So, it is essentially self locking and thief proof, as the locking mechanism is internal. 1UP is not aware of any hitch rack ever being stolen off a car.

I was emailing them, because, I had wobble where the 'extender' enters the hitch. It turned out to be my error, as I forgot to use the washer. Now, there is no wobble at all.

This rack is the bomb! I freakin love it.
    I haven't actually measured the wrench, but unless it is a non-standard size, you can indeed buy it. Not at Home Depot or Lowe's, but it is possible.

That said, it is very unlikely that any random thief will have a wrench that fits on their person. It definitely isn't something that I'd worry about.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    When in doubt put a lock on it, certainly when they get more popular and peeps have the additional trays. I saw a post in the beginning of this thread IIRC, wherein someone had drilled a hole in both the base and a tray to keep things together..YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 ... LastLast