Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 3145
    mtbr member
    Anybody know if the hitch locks sold at 1up are sold at hardware stores or Walmart, or did they specially make those for the 1up racks?

https://www.1upusa.com/product-2hitchbarlock.html

I have a 1up single bike rack coming in Monday and would like to get a lock local rather than ordering one online.

Thanks for the help in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkBait View Post
    Anybody know if the hitch locks sold at 1up are sold at hardware stores or Walmart, or did they specially make those for the 1up racks?

https://www.1upusa.com/product-2hitchbarlock.html
    I use a regular keyed long-shank MasterLock padlock with a 5/16" shank in mine. Something similar to this:

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-mlcom_product_37734_1dlj_angled.jpg

It's probably easier for a determined thief to cut, but all locks are just a deterrent anyway with the invention of battery powered angle grinders with cut-off wheels.

The one on the 1up site is probably a hitch coupler lock like this:
    Trailer Coupler Lock - Deadbolt Style for Surge Brake with 2-1/2" Span DeadBolt Locks 7692

There are several styles on e-trailer, that you could also probably find locally.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    I use a regular keyed long-shank MasterLock padlock with a 5/16" shank in mine. Something similar to this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MLCOM_PRODUCT_37734_1DLJ_angled.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	1005811

It's probably easier for a determined thief to cut, but all locks are just a deterrent anyway with the invention of battery powered angle grinders with cut-off wheels.

The one on the 1up site is probably a hitch coupler lock like this:
    Trailer Coupler Lock - Deadbolt Style for Surge Brake with 2-1/2" Span DeadBolt Locks 7692

There are several styles on e-trailer, that you could also probably find locally.
    Thanks!

I'll check my local Home Depot for that long shank Master lock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by commandoNate View Post
    That's a slick set-up! Being an old Beetle guy, I was wondering you did a receiver hitch... 'til I clicked on your photobucket:

--------------

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Love this thread, lots of great info. Just registered to post these questions:

1. Is there a lot of play/movement when using the 1 1/4" --> 2" adapter on the Single Bike Quik Rack? Is there more movement in comparison to the 2"-only versions of the racks? I have a 2" hitch and I want the single bike rack.
    2. For those who have a 2" version of the single bike rack: was yours custom built or did you just buy the SuperDuty version? I have no need for the added weight capabilities of the SuperDuty, but I would prefer a 2" rack over the 1 1/4" rack adapted to 2". The SuperDuty is heavier and more expensive as well.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I have the single rack in a 2" receiver and there is zero movement. My rack is going on 5 years and it is as solid as day one.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member

This is my security set up. The chain is 3/8" grade 70. The whole thing cost $40 including the lock. I also made a shorter section to lock the rack to the hitch as well. Obviously nothing is thief proof but I feel comfortable running in to a store on my way back from a ride if I feel like it. I believe that it would take a 48" bolt cutter to get through the chain.. An angle grinder is another story. The chain is just long enough to fit over the bottom bracket.

I've had the rack for a week and it performs well. I just took it on a 2.5hr trip yesterday and it was very solid. I tightened the hitch tightener after the first half of the trip and it turned about a quarter turn.

Very easy to load the bike and secure it down with the wheel arms. It is fairly light as well and easy to install and remove from the hitch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I picked up a Superduty a couple weeks ago and am very happy with it. I have a 2.5" hitch with a 2" reducer sleeve.

I did purchase 1Up's reducer and I'm glad I did. The 1Up reducer is just a piece of steel angle .5" thick with a stainless cap screw that threads in through the hitch pin hole. The angle is opposite the tension ball that snugs up the hitch. The tension balll does a good job of pinching the angle and keeping everything tight. Much tighter than it would be with the reducer sleeve.

If you have a 2.5" I recommend thier reducer if you want it tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    I have the single rack in a 2" receiver and there is zero movement. My rack is going on 5 years and it is as solid as day one.
    Thanks Oscar. If it's solid then there's no reason for me to deal with the extra cost and weight of the SuperDuty.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoyama View Post
    Thanks Oscar. If it's solid then there's no reason for me to deal with the extra cost and weight of the SuperDuty.
    You're welcome!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Big bike, little bike - no problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    That's a slick set-up! Being an old Beetle guy, I was wondering you did a receiver hitch... 'til I clicked on your photobucket:

Sometimes the best way to get something done is to do it yourself. Like in the case of putting a receiver hitch on a VW bug. So I did this bumper with the hitch to accommodate the 1UP rack and I'm really pumped with it. I haven't put the 2 extra trays on yet, but it's gonna be sweet with 3 bikes!

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_3888.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    As a new member I wish to thank everyone on/for this thread. That was one h-ll of a read.

Sending Son off to College Part II and needed help getting him a good bike rack that's not strapped onto the back scratching up the paint on the 2010 Prius I'm passing on to him. Just finished ordering a Curt Hitch and 1UP USA Single Quick Rack Silver with a Quick Rack Add On Silver to accommodate his 26 and 29 hard tails. He was interested in the Kuat NV for the Trail Dock, but I was not impressed with the build quality. All reviews indicate the 1UP is more the industrial quality I prefer. Will know in a couple of days.

mtbr member
    I've had my 1up rack for over a year now and overall I am very happy with them.
    I wanted the 1up rack due to it's design simplicity and ease of repair. Conidering someone hit it in a parking lot, $90 in repair pars fixed it up and was paid by the person who hit me. I also have the extension to make it a 2 bike rack. The only thing I don't care for is the amount of movement the 1-1/4 hitch has, the first time I load two bikes I swore something was going to break with the amount of movement. But it made it thought a 5000 mile road trip without issue, although they all may move around some, this is my only bike rack experience. But to it's credit, I do think some of it is the hitch, there is allot of leverage on the way that hitch is mounted. I would have to mount the rack to my truck and see how it does.

I will issue a warning to low cars or cars with dual exhaust. On my car I've scraped the rack many of times on driveways and what not. That being said I've also scraped the hitch. I actually put some high density plastic sliders on the bottom so when it does hit, it doesn't damage the rack.

The other issue I ran into was carbon rims and the exhaust. The rack sits about 12 in back from the exhaust and 1 in above the top of the exhaust. I thought this would be enough clearance to keep carbon rims from getting cooked. Well, I was wrong, We took a 5000 mile road trip last summer and when we reached our destination I noticed the cooked/melted rims. I thought it had been from a few high speed runs in the desert on the way to the final destination, but I also noticed after a while on the highway at normal speeds, the rims get very hot and will start to deform. Basically at over 100 mph, airflow from under the car pushes the exhaust high enough to basically act as a blowtorch on the rim. But even at 70-80 the exhaust is pushed up, on to the rim, so for a long enough trip it will cause bubbling and slight deformation.
    My solution was to install black anodized aluminum plates to act as heat shields. So far, they have done their job.

Overall I have been very happy with the rack and their customer service.
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

Living Life Behind Bars..
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    I will issue a warning to low cars or cars with dual exhaust. On my car I've scraped the rack many of times on driveways and what not. That being said I've also scraped the hitch. I actually put some high density plastic sliders on the bottom so when it does hit, it doesn't damage the rack.
    Josh can you post a pic of the guards you made for this pls. Would like to see your idea.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoyama View Post
    Love this thread, lots of great info. Just registered to post these questions:

1. Is there a lot of play/movement when using the 1 1/4" --> 2" adapter on the Single Bike Quik Rack? Is there more movement in comparison to the 2"-only versions of the racks? I have a 2" hitch and I want the single bike rack.
    2. For those who have a 2" version of the single bike rack: was yours custom built or did you just buy the SuperDuty version? I have no need for the added weight capabilities of the SuperDuty, but I would prefer a 2" rack over the 1 1/4" rack adapted to 2". The SuperDuty is heavier and more expensive as well.
    I can only answer the first question. I got the 1 1/4" rack, single bike to use with my two cars. My Acura has a 1 1/4" receiver and my Jeep has a 2" one. The adaptor that attaches to the 1 1/4" rack fits perfectly and I have found that there is no noticeable movement when the rack/adaptor is installed into the 2" receiver.
    As has been said before, the quality of the 1upUSA rack is second to none. It's an excellent product and if you are only going to be transporting one bike, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 1 1/4" rack. It's a little lighter too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am also using a padlock as an extra security measure for the rack (not the bike). I'm sure a pro thief could cut through it quickly, but then they'll have to deal with the hollow allen bolt built into the rack. This is specifically for when I'm riding and parked at a trailhead, etc.
    I do not leave the rack on full-time (it's so easy and quick to take it off at home).
    In addition, I made a cable with a carabiner to hold the rack in case it comes loose, replacing the velcro strap that comes with the rack. Cost about $4 at Home Depot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-rack-lock-cable1.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-rack-lock-cable2.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-rack-lock-cable3.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-rack2.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-rack6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t- View Post
    P

Josh can you post a pic of the guards you made for this pls. Would like to see your idea.
    Thanks
    Sure, give me a few days, but I'll post up some pics
    S-Works all the bikes!

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Is the lockable "hitch hole" a new feature or is that a hack?
    My rack is a few years old. Doesn't have that.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Are you sure that the MTB is not just having an allergic reaction to being hauled around by a Cadilac?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post

The other issue I ran into was carbon rims and the exhaust. The rack sits about 12 in back from the exhaust and 1 in above the top of the exhaust. I thought this would be enough clearance to keep carbon rims from getting cooked.

Overall I have been very happy with the rack and their customer service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Is the lockable "hitch hole" a new feature or is that a hack?
    My rack is a few years old. Doesn't have that.
    Yeah, I think that is only in the newer racks. Not sure when they started doing it, but it's nice to be able to to throw a padlock or the lock they sell to add a little added protection.

It would be fairly easy to add it to your older rack, just drill it.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    oddly in my instructions they say 4" minimum insertion. or at least 2"
    which is more minimum???

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Received my rack/s and feel I made a good choice. While various solutions to securing the rack to the hitch have been presented, has anyone come up with a "best case" solution for securing the add on racks?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Are you sure that the MTB is not just having an allergic reaction to being hauled around by a Cadilac?
    it is hard to tell, but I am fairly certain I see a "V" badge, which would make that NOT a normal Cadillac...

b a n n e d
    So I have a couple questions before I pull the trigger . . . car is a 2016 Subaru STI. I just ordered a Torklift Ecohitch with a 2" receiver. Per Torklift, the total receiver length is 4" and 2-1/2" from the pinhole to obstruction (spare wheel well).

I emailed 1UP with this info and they said that the 1UP will work great . . . when I look at the schematics on the 1UP site though, it seems to suggest that the rack requires a 4.375" minimum insertion? Perhaps I don't understand the numbers here and what they represent . . . can someone clarify this for me? Perhaps when 1UP is using the word "minimum" that's just the limit of how far the hitch can go in before hitting the obstruction?

Also, I opted for a 2" receiver because I've read a number of concerns about instability of the 1-1/4" hitch. Does anyone here run the standard 1UP rack in a 2" receiver using the adapter? Debating if I should get the SuperDuty or the normal hitch rack. I'll never be toting heavy bikes, but the solid 2" stinger seems to me like it might offer greater stability over a 1-1/4" with an adapter.

And can I just complain for a brief moment about just how expensive this crap is?! By the time its all said and done, I'm going to be all in for close to $1K! And I thought Yakima was expensive . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    So I have a couple questions before I pull the trigger . . . car is a 2016 Subaru STI. I just ordered a Torklift Ecohitch with a 2" receiver. Per Torklift, the total receiver length is 4" and 2-1/2" from the pinhole to obstruction (spare wheel well).

I emailed 1UP with this info and they said that the 1UP will work great . . . when I look at the schematics on the 1UP site though, it seems to suggest that the rack requires a 4.375" minimum insertion? Perhaps I don't understand the numbers here and what they represent . . . can someone clarify this for me? Perhaps when 1UP is using the word "minimum" that's just the limit of how far the hitch can go in before hitting the obstruction?

Also, I opted for a 2" receiver because I've read a number of concerns about instability of the 1-1/4" hitch. Does anyone here run the standard 1UP rack in a 2" receiver using the adapter? Debating if I should get the SuperDuty or the normal hitch rack. I'll never be toting heavy bikes, but the solid 2" stinger seems to me like it might offer greater stability over a 1-1/4" with an adapter.

And can I just complain for a brief moment about just how expensive this crap is?! By the time its all said and done, I'm going to be all in for close to $1K! And I thought Yakima was expensive . . . .
    Not quite enough info to tell... per "spec" the stinger should stick 3/8" out of the inboard side of your receiver tube. Is there that much clearance before it would hit the spare tire well?

Regardless, everything sounds like it's close enough, and I wouldn't sweat it.

If you can do a 2", it's a lot stiffer and your setup will bounce/bend a lot less. 2 bikes in my 1-1/4 setup bounce about as much as 4 bikes on my 2" setup.

Yes it's expensive, but it's the last one you will ever buy.
    --------------

b a n n e d
    Can anyone tell me how long the stinger is on the 2" 1up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    7 5/8"

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    7 5/8"
    Perfect. Thanks . . . and just to confirm, this is the 2" and not the 1-1/4 with the adapter (though even it if were, I would assume they're the same length).

Your Best Friend
    I have NEVER measured mine when I install either my my two 1ups on either of my cars. I just slide it in a bunch and then tighten it down. Never a problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Perfect. Thanks . . . and just to confirm, this is the 2" and not the 1-1/4 with the adapter (though even it if were, I would assume they're the same length).
    Yes. 2" model

Living Life Behind Bars..
    I have a few pics of the insertion length on a 2011 STI on my blog. Link is : Life Behind Bars....: 1 up USA - Bike Rack

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why do you guys think there are 3 positions for the rack? I either have mine up (not in use) or down ( when I have bikes on it).

Why would I use the in between position?

The reason I ask is that it is sort of a hassle, because when you have 4 trays on there, it is tricky to keep the bar pressed in while adjusting the position. It would be much easier if I just could get it started and move it all the way from down to up w/out being stuck in the middle position.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Why do you guys think there are 3 positions for the rack? I either have mine up (not in use) or down ( when I have bikes on it).

The reason I ask is that it is sort of a hassle, because when you have 4 trays on there, it is tricky to keep the bar pressed in while adjusting the position. It would be much easier if I just could get it started and move it all the way from down to up w/out being stuck in the middle position.
    For an SUV back, at least with ours, you can tip the rack to the middle position and open the hatch back. That way you don't have the rack horizontal and have to step around it.

J.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post

To clear a spare tire.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t- View Post
    I have a few pics of the insertion length on a 2011 STI on my blog. Link is : Life Behind Bars....: 1 up USA - Bike Rack
    Thanks! Not sure how similar the two cars/hitches are, but I talked with both 1up and Torklift today and the short of it is that 1up says "no problem!" . . . Torklift says "no go!" . . . .

I confirmed with the 1up folks that the dimensions do indeed suggest that I'm 3/8" short of the minimum insertion depth and 1/2" over the maximum extension, however, the ball will be inserted 2" and centered in the receiver. They said that this will be fine. Given that its their product and reassurance that I have a 60-day no-hassle return if it doesn't fit, I'm in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    For an SUV back, at least with ours, you can tip the rack to the middle position and open the hatch back. That way you don't have the rack horizontal and have to step around it.

J.
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    To clear a spare tire.
    Both make sense. I actually checked and the middle position does allow me to open my gate, which is easier than going all the way down. I guess that's a legit reason!

Now if they just made that bar you have to pull on a bit easier to work ... I hate how it isn't designed in some way that would keep both ends even. Seems like I always get one side out, but not the other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    After reading multiple reviews and using a friends quik rack I purchased the heavy duty double setup with 2" stinger last night. I read about a rolling finger trick in a few reviews and am wondering what this relates to...anyone out there know the details about this?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    New member here. But my 1st post is thank all of you guys for doing the homework for me. I needed a bike rack that will hold between 2-4 bikes, that was easy to connect & disconnect from the hitch, easy to store when not being used, held the bikes rock stable.

The 1UPUSA rack was the only one that did all of the above. The price was shockingly expensive, but far too often in life I've found its better to pay more up front and get what you really want. Versus going the cheap route and having to redo (or rebuy) it again. A good friend of mine calls this mentality: "Buy once, Cry once". I have no doubt this bike rack will last a lifetime. And if I ever decided to get rid of it, it would have pretty good resale value.

Now on to the bad part. My fiancee is going to kill me when sees how much I spent on a bike rack. I told her it would be around $250-300. Total was about $666 including the 2bike 2" hitch model in black, with 2 'short' locks and a hitch lock

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
    My fiancee is going to kill me when sees how much I spent...
    Get used to saying this.

by the way, congrats on money well spent!

p.s. I think it's important your fiancee knows how much you spend on bike gear before being married. Then it's not so much of a shock after

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    New member here. But my 1st post is thank all of you guys for doing the homework for me. I needed a bike rack that will hold between 2-4 bikes, that was easy to connect & disconnect from the hitch, easy to store when not being used, held the bikes rock stable.

The 1UPUSA rack was the only one that did all of the above. The price was shockingly expensive, but far too often in life I've found its better to pay more up front and get what you really want. Versus going the cheap route and having to redo (or rebuy) it again. A good friend of mine calls this mentality: "Buy once, Cry once". I have no doubt this bike rack will last a lifetime. And if I ever decided to get rid of it, it would have pretty good resale value.

Now on to the bad part. My fiancee is going to kill me when sees how much I spent on a bike rack. I told her it would be around $250-300. Total was about $666 including the 2bike 2" hitch model in black, with 2 'short' locks and a hitch lock

Don't worry. She'll dig it when random super fit guys start coming up to her in the parking lot and tell her she has a nice rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Get used to saying this.

by the way, congrats on money well spent!

p.s. I think it's important your fiancee knows how much you spend on bike gear before being married. Then it's not so much of a shock after
    Exactly. I've been married a long time and my wife just lets me do whatever I need to do when it comes to bikes. She looks at it as it keeps me around and healthier longer than if I didn't do it. I guess that's the long view either - that or she's given up.

@Daekwan - Here's the thing: this is a two bike rack system that she can easily put on the car by herself because of the modularity and it's Aluminum construction. Most other two bike racks, she would have a very difficult time doing that.

See how I did that? You did it for her. Doesn't always work, but it helps.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Better order your two add-ons before the wedding!
    --------------

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Exactly. I've been married a long time and my wife just lets me do whatever I need to do when it comes to bikes. She looks at it as it keeps me around and healthier longer than if I didn't do it.

J.
    I'm pretty sure my wife lets me buy what I want cause she thinks there a good chance of a life insurance pay out if I ride more.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    sorry for the delay, I need to make some changes to the sliders, but these are holding for now. the damage you see on the rack is from before.

S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    Nah, seems to get along just peachy
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quick follow up on my post about the plastic "Wheel Savers" that 1Up sell. I wanted to try it out and see if it reduces the wobbling I have with my 29er. I heated it up with a hair dyer to spread it out a bit more in order to fit the 2.3" tire. Fits fine. Can't tell if the wheel saver really reduced the wobbling at all. I'll need to drive at highway speeds to for sure. At first I was worried about leaving it attached to the rack but it concealed pretty well once the rack is folded up.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20935738706_f097cae5bb_b.jpg

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20340947603_32a939fa9f_b.jpg

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20774038078_47cab68bbd_b.jpg

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20339405024_b453d88f9a_b.jpg

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20961979325_ec8575289c_b.jpg

b a n n e d
    ^^^ Looks good. I haven't ordered my 1UP yet, but I will be shortly and likely add these and have to do the same thing.

Thing is about wobbling . . . on almost every bike rack I've ever seen, the bikes wobble UNLESS its held to the rack by the frame. I'll take a little wobble over a marred frame any day. The bike's not going anywhere . . .

mtbr member
    Bike wobble? I just tightened down the arms to squish the tires a bit. Wobble be gone!
    konahonzo