Page 55 of 94 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2333
    mtbr member
    You can also try Amazon.com, I bought my Curt hitch brand new from them for only $109.99, shipped next day via Prime, it was quite a bargain. I had it installed where I service my WRX for a 24-case of Heineken.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    $525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.
    You forgot $20K+ you paid for the car. Just to carry a bike..

Seriously though, hitch, or roof rails will be a fixed cost no matter what.

mtbr member
    I went with etrailer.com for my hitch. Over $150 is free shipping. Mine was just under 150, so I ordered a few extras. With the video, its easy to install. Maybe 30 mins for my Civic.

Love the rack. The only issue I've had is a sticky bar (the bar the lever slides on). A few drops on dry lube and it works like new.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    You can also try Amazon.com, I bought my Curt hitch brand new from them for only $109.99, shipped next day via Prime, it was quite a bargain. I had it installed where I service my WRX for a 24-case of Heineken.
    What year is your WRX? I have a 2010 hatch and I've heard that some hitches require some minor drilling. 109 plus a case isn't a bad deal at all...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    What year is your WRX? I have a 2010 hatch and I've heard that some hitches require some minor drilling. 109 plus a case isn't a bad deal at all...
    Drilling the car or trimming the bumper a bit underneath? I've heard of the latter needing to be done in some cases, never extra drilling.

Either way, I drive a 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero, aka 2005 WRX, and it was complete plug and play. 4 bolts and that's it for me. Plus the Curt hitch doesn't look like an eye sore from a mile away like the OEM Subaru hitch. It extends a lot beneath the bumper line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

1up and ground clearance

I'm strongly considering a new 1up rack but I'm a little worried about ground clearance. I have an A4 with a Kurt hitch and my driveway is steep. I'm currently running an Xport 2 rack (cradle style) and it hits the street unless I really turn in at a shallow angle. Does anyone have a side view if a 1up so I can get an idea of clearance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Is it a Curt hitch? They tend to be the brand that requires drilling. Bad idea.

MC MasterShake
    I recently put one on my 2013 WRX Wagon. I had to do some minor bumper trimming where the hitch part comes out. No drilling was required as they used existing holes in the frame. I did have to fish the bolts into the frame but they included the fish wire with excellent instructions on how to do it. I did have to drop the muffler to fit the hitch into place. Overall it took a couple of hours.

You can check the details on the install for your car from here.
    Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Amazon is worth checking. Got a Curt on the Matrix from them. The car was about 5 years old when I installed so I had to buy a tool to chase the existing threads under the car due to a little rust from our salty roads. Still was a 1 hour job and easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Called a local U-haul shop. They quoted me $225 for parts and installation of hitch. $75 in labor if I bought one myself from somewhere else.

$525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.
    if that's all you use the hitch for, then it adds $225 to the cost of any rack. We use our hitch for pulling trailers too.

J.

mtbr member
    I would probably ruin my transmission in my sedan pulling something.

Anyway I pulled the trigger. I'm just one of those that has to gripe and complain a bit to justify something like this.

Uhaul is installing the hitch Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Funny.

J.

ballbuster

It'll be about the same as the XPort

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    I'm strongly considering a new 1up rack but I'm a little worried about ground clearance. I have an A4 with a Kurt hitch and my driveway is steep. I'm currently running an Xport 2 rack (cradle style) and it hits the street unless I really turn in at a shallow angle. Does anyone have a side view if a 1up so I can get an idea of clearance?
    Here's mine on the back of my B6 A4 with sport package...

it grinds a bit, but it's no big deal. I would just say inspect it once in a while around the bolt holes to be sure it doesn't crack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

here is my lowered Passat

yes it grinds... so did my Yakima holdup

mtbr member
    Just courious, do you guys have any suggestions for cable locks that work really well with this bike rack? I'm looking at purchasing something like this:

Amazon.com: Kryptonite 720018210610 KryptoFlex 3/8" x 7' 1007 Double Loop Security Cable: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Just courious, do you guys have any suggestions for cable locks that work really well with this bike rack? I'm looking at purchasing something like this:

Amazon.com: Kryptonite 720018210610 KryptoFlex 3/8" x 7' 1007 Double Loop Security Cable: Sports & Outdoors
    That is the cable I use.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

ballbuster

Cables suck

Use a chain. It doesn't take much to cut a cable, even those crazy thick ones.

I would also suggest using a good quality U-Lock around the rear wheel and frame of the bike. Make the thief have to defeat several things before he can ride the bike away.

I use a U-Lock around the bike, thick chain, and another tiny U-Lock around my trailer hitch safety chain loops.

Those thin cables that come on other bike racks are pretty close to useless. I guess they will keep somebody from casually walking by and making off with your bike, but if your friendly neighborhood bike thief has any kind of tools on him he can defeat it. Some of those locks you can defeat with a big screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

I would also suggest using a good quality U-Lock around the rear wheel and frame of the bike. Make the thief have to defeat several things before he can ride the bike away.

I use a U-Lock around the bike, thick chain, and another tiny U-Lock around my trailer hitch safety chain loops.

Those thin cables that come on other bike racks are pretty close to useless. I guess they will keep somebody from casually walking by and making off with your bike, but if your friendly neighborhood bike thief has any kind of tools on him he can defeat it. Some of those locks you can defeat with a big screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.
    Great suggestions! I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Maybe once I receive the bike rack I'll understand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Agreed, the cables are whack. Chains are your best solution.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Kuat Sherpa vs. 1UP for Mazda3 hatchback (2012)

Hi, fellow biking enthusiasts -

I just got a 2012 Mazda 3 (5-door) hatchback, and am now shopping for a bike rack that I can put on a tow hitch on the back of this lovely car. I'm seeing lots of good posts for the Kuat Sherpa and various 1UP racks. Has anyone put either of these on a Mazda3 hatchback? An pros or cons?

Thanks!
    BigSky

Note - I love the white of the Sherpa, but it looks like it leans in a bit towards the car in the pictures ... and my hatchback door bulges out a bit - possibly a bad combo. Also, my friend's Kuat NV made my front brakes tighten on my front tire. Maybe my bike (a Novara Kia) doesn't tolerate being held close to the brakes.

The 1UP looks lighter in weight, which is a big plus. (I'm a female, and light-weight is desirable.) A possible downside is that I have a cargo rack and basket over my back wheel, so I'm not sure if the 1UP design will accommodate that.

ballbuster
    Great suggestions! I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Maybe once I receive the bike rack I'll understand.
    One of these:

I also used a Disc lock. The storage unit and fixie bike folks favor this kind of lock:

These work well for securing a chain to itself or around the hitch's safety chain loops. They are fairly hard to cut, and hard to get the jaws of the bolt cutters around the shackle.

mtbr member
    One of these:

I also used a Disc lock. The storage unit and fixie bike folks favor this kind of lock:

These work well for securing a chain to itself or around the hitch's safety chain loops. They are fairly hard to cut, and hard to get the jaws of the bolt cutters around the shackle.
    These are interesting solutions. Do you have pictures of them being used on the rack? I'm curious as to how you use them.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    These are interesting solutions. Do you have pictures of them being used on the rack? I'm curious as to how you use them.
    +1 I'd like to see how you use the hitch rack as well. TY!

mtbr member
    I've got one on my 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback. Got a Curt hitch from Amazon and it was an easy install.

I LOVE the rack. I've put a few thousand miles with a bike on it and it's working great.

The bike sits far enough back that the rack on your back wheel won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSky3 View Post
    Hi, fellow biking enthusiasts -

I just got a 2012 Mazda 3 (5-door) hatchback, and am now shopping for a bike rack that I can put on a tow hitch on the back of this lovely car. I'm seeing lots of good posts for the Kuat Sherpa and various 1UP racks. Has anyone put either of these on a Mazda3 hatchback? An pros or cons?

Thanks!
    BigSky

Note - I love the white of the Sherpa, but it looks like it leans in a bit towards the car in the pictures ... and my hatchback door bulges out a bit - possibly a bad combo. Also, my friend's Kuat NV made my front brakes tighten on my front tire. Maybe my bike (a Novara Kia) doesn't tolerate being held close to the brakes.

The 1UP looks lighter in weight, which is a big plus. (I'm a female, and light-weight is desirable.) A possible downside is that I have a cargo rack and basket over my back wheel, so I'm not sure if the 1UP design will accommodate that.
    Last edited by FloriDave; 12-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks, FloriDave! That helps me out a lot!!

Page 55 of 94 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 ... LastLast