Page 54 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2333
    Perdurabo
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    They were quick to imply that I over exaggerate and the perceived movement is because it is so far back behind the car. However, I know that you don't perceive extra movement that way, the rack is/should be one with the frame of the car, so it shouldn't seem to move at all really.
    The rack might be "one with the frame of the car" but you are not. It has been discussed before. One other explanation is that you have already gone over the bump and started to stabilize while the rear of the car is just hitting the bump. Both these contribute to the "exaggeration." Many have said that when observed from a different vehicle the perceived movement was much less.
    This cat's on an intergalactic cruise...in his office?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldevyne View Post
    The rack might be "one with the frame of the car" but you are not. It has been discussed before. One other explanation is that you have already gone over the bump and started to stabilize while the rear of the car is just hitting the bump. Both these contribute to the "exaggeration." Many have said that when observed from a different vehicle the perceived movement was much less.
    That's true and I'm not denying it. I'm just saying that these racks bounce more than others. Between owning others and riding buddies having others I've seen many racks, all with less movement than the 1up. I've looked in the same rear view mirror of this particular car and seen 2 other racks (cheapies even) that barely move.

That being said, the 1up rack is still the best rack I've ever used. I freakin' love the product. Just stating my observations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Anyone experience a lot of wiggle with a bike in the 1Up rack? I've got the single 1.25" rack, and it seems to move a lot more than I would have thought. The hitch is securely mounted, the rack bolt is tight. Maybe I'm over scrutinizing it, I don't know how much is normal I guess.
    I had trouble with ONE of my cars. Turned out it was a crappy hitch. Changed to a different brand hitch and all is well.

Make sure you have the rack mounted as tight to the bumper as possible. If it's cantilevered way out back, there's a bigger lever arm and the hitch will flex.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Just ordered

Hi,

Just ordered my 1up single (black) today. I e-mailed them with a couple of question and got answers right away, even on a Saturday. I'm sure after all the reviews the rack will be fine. I'm just hoping it comes with a wheel of cheese, it's already shipped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I'm similar to the cool kids now

Convinced my co-worker (whom was on the fence of which platform rack to get)... to get one also (he had a Thule 594 on the roof.... so I don't think the T2 was on his short list)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Agreed.

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    Got my 1up a month ago...could not be happier! I had actually never seen one in person and am usually skeptical about buying stuff online if I haven't touched it in real life...but 1up has a 60-day money back guarantee and everyone on MTBR raves about it so I felt I had nothing to lose.

This rack is so cool, looks great and just got its first real test over Thanksgiving as I drove over 1000 miles with my bike on the back...no problems. In fact, someone actually came up behind me on the Interstate and I swear they were checking out my rack...I could see the two people in the front seats discussing (with hand motions) how the rack held the bike.
    C Knife 14
    '10 S-Works SJ...blinged out!
    '10 Blue AC1
    '11 Spot Brand Acme
    '12 S-Works SJ 29er...even more blinged out!!

swag ho Administrator
    We put up a big review here:

1up USA Bike Rack Review | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

We used some of the photos from this thread. Thank you.

Please get in there and 'like' the article and comment/share.

fc

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

We used some of the photos from this thread. Thank you.

fc
    De nada. Nice to see 1-Up getting the props their product deserves.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    De nada. Nice to see 1-Up getting the props their product deserves.
    Agreed, although now they're going to be mainstream and "lose their edge" or something. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Agreed, although now they're going to be mainstream and "lose their edge" or something. Oh well.
    I don't think it'll ever be mainstream due to price.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I don't think it'll ever be mainstream due to price.
    What does that even mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    What does that even mean?
    It means what it means. When people ask me about my rack in the parking lot at the trailhead, all is swell until they get sticker shock when they ask me how much I paid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    It means what it means. When people ask me about my rack in the parking lot at the trailhead, all is swell until they get sticker shock when they ask me how much I paid.
    IDK, I got what you were getting at. I think that what 1up does is charge what they feel they need to in order to make a product the way they think is best (US-made, machined aluminum, etc, etc) rather than one that will simply sell the most units.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    I'm similar to the cool kids now

Convinced my co-worker (whom was on the fence of which platform rack to get)... to get one also (he had a Thule 594 on the roof.... so I don't think the T2 was on his short list)
    Here's mine. I'm not sure if I'm the co-worker you were talking about and I was on the fence about it but decided to go with it. I've only clocked about 100 miles with the bike on the rack but so far so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-bike-n-rack.jpg  

“Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    Considering getting the single bike rack. Just curious what is everyone using for security of the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Considering getting the single bike rack. Just curious what is everyone using for security of the bike?
    I'm using a cable lock to secure the bike to the rack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Cable lock for the bike to the rack. I also have a small D-lock to provide a lock of the rack to the hitch receiver (as well as peace of mind that the rack won't slide out of the receiver if the mechanism loosens). Main thing is to keep your eyes on your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi View Post
    Cable lock for the bike to the rack. I also have a small D-lock to provide a lock of the rack to the hitch receiver (as well as peace of mind that the rack won't slide out of the receiver if the mechanism loosens). Main thing is to keep your eyes on your bike.
    So, you're using that to secure the rack to the hitch so someone just couldn't steal the rack and whatever is on it, correct?

Also, what's the approximate cost to get a hitch installed on your car and where would one get one installed?

beater
    Also, what's the approximate cost to get a hitch installed on your car and where would one get one installed?
    Varies, but maybe $150-$250 depending on what you buy. U-Haul dealers commonly sell them, as do trailer dealers. Check your yellow pages.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    So, you're using that to secure the rack to the hitch so someone just couldn't steal the rack and whatever is on it, correct?

I got 3 receiver hitches from etrailer.com. They have great prices, shipping is free, and in most cases they even have videos on how to install it. Most of their hitches don't require drilling as they try to use existing holes already on the vehicles. I use the cable lock to lock the bike to the rack. The rack attaches to the hitch with a custom allen or hex wrench. Without it nobody can remove the rack from the hitch.... in theory. But I don't leave the rack on my car anyway. The rack is so easy and quick to put on and take off that I just fold it up and put it in the trunk.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated!

Has anyone purchased the wheel lock? Does that work well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated!

Has anyone purchased the wheel lock? Does that work well?
    If you buy the wheel lock only... what's preventing them from just stealing the frame only?

I prefer a cable lock myself, so that you can secure the frame & wheel to the rack and if you have enough length, to the hitch chain loop as well. I think it's a better theft deterrent.

It's not theft proof... a prepared thief will be able to defeat most mechanisms rather easily.

mtbr member
    Called a local U-haul shop. They quoted me $225 for parts and installation of hitch. $75 in labor if I bought one myself from somewhere else.

$525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Called a local U-haul shop. They quoted me $225 for parts and installation of hitch. $75 in labor if I bought one myself from somewhere else.

$525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.

Depending on your car, etrailer.com is going to have the hitch for less than $225, free shipping, and super easy installation. Seems like a no-brainer to do it yourself. You just need some basic hand tools. If you're curious about the work to install, search for the specific application for your car and check to see if they have a install video or instructions on etrailer.com. That should give you a sense of what you'd be in for. It really is fairly painless on most cars.

Page 54 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 ... LastLast