Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2292
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't feel like reading through this whole thread and doing searches didn't seem to help.

I am thinking about getting this rack and 95% or more of the time it is just a single bike that I am hauling. So I am leaning towards the single carrier and buying an add-on when I see that I need it. However, I see myself going on road trips and possibly wanting to take up to 4 bikes. Will the single rack support up to 4 bikes with the add ons if all of the bikes are sub 30 pound bikes and more around the 25 pound mark? I've seen a lot of pictures of heavy DH bikes on the racks.

What is the maximum add ons for the single rack? If I had to I honestly could probably only go to 3 bike rack and in the ultra rare occasion that I had to haul a 4th bike, to just take off the wheels, and break it down and put it inside the car.

According to the website, they list the 2 bike rack as "when you want to take up to 4 bikes", but they don't put a limitation on the single 1up.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    I don't feel like reading through this whole thread and doing searches didn't seem to help.
    Not a good start...

What is the maximum add ons for the single rack? If I had to I honestly could probably only go to 3 bike rack and in the ultra rare occasion that I had to haul a 4th bike, to just take off the wheels, and break it down and put it inside the car.

According to the website, they list the 2 bike rack as "when you want to take up to 4 bikes", but they don't put a limitation on the single 1up.
    Per the Quik Rack Add On page: "This 1 bike Add-On mounts to the 1 bike Hitch system or another Add-On for up to a 3 bike carrier!". 1UPUSA.com :: Add On Silver

And per the Double Bicycle Quik Rack page: "It was designed for people who are interested or planning to carry up to 4 bikes." 1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Silver

A quick email to 1up would answer your question very definitively. It doesn't really matter what the internet forum thinks, 1up are the ones who make the thing. They are fast to respond and very helpful. It is my understanding that the 2 bike model is the one you need. I spend most of my time with one bike on my 2 bike carrier and I do not find the extra tray to be a problem.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you're going to use it mostly to carry one bike, I'd recommend the one bike carrier and do the add ons for a capacity of three. The advantage of the single is it tilts up nicely, and compact when you aren't carrying a bike and want to leave it on the car. Fwiw, there are pictures on this post of a guy with a Volvo using the single and expanded out to four bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the info, I didn't see that on the add on page.

I guess I could buy the single and in the rare occurrence if I really needed to haul 4 bikes routinely, then I could sell the single and buy a double. Or just chance it and expand out to 4.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I am thinking about getting this rack and 95% or more of the time it is just a single bike that I am hauling. So I am leaning towards the single carrier and buying an add-on when I see that I need it. However, I see myself going on road trips and possibly wanting to take up to 4 bikes. Will the single rack support up to 4 bikes with the add ons if all of the bikes are sub 30 pound bikes and more around the 25 pound mark? I've seen a lot of pictures of heavy DH bikes on the racks.

1UpUSA won't recommend it but I have the 1.25" version with it's 2" adaptor when it was the 4 bike rack. I've done 10K miles with it with 4 30lb mtn bikes on it stuck in a 2" receiver. It's been just fine.

What I think happened is that apparently the 1.25" receiver (not rack) cannot take the load of 4 bikes so they had to down rate it. I think it would be just fine but you would not get them to say so because of the 1.25" industry hitch capacity rating.

J.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

I think you hit the nail on the head here. That is the reason I have a 2" hitch on my Subaru Outback and not the 1 1/4 factory POS. The hardware that comes with the heavier hitch is stronger and can handle any load. Just keep within the load limits of the car!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    THat's what 1UpUSA pretty much told me when I called to ask, "Why is my rack ok for 4 bikes but the identical one that you sell now is only good for 3?" The answer was that if someone used it on a 1.25" receiver then fully loaded it could exceed the specs of the 1.25" receiver but it wouldn't for a 2". So, in other words, if you put on the 2" adaptor, it's suddenly a much more capable rack (just kidding). It's just protection from fools.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ordered a quick rack tues morning and should be delivered to Ga on Friday. Not bad
    Hope I made the right decision over a kuat

Save Jesus
    Hello folks,

I did not read thru this thread, but I hope this is some useful info.
    I called them today, and they said they can make a custom version of the 1 bike carrier that has a 2" hitch attachment for $35 extra. This is for those of you out there that look at the 1.25" version and go is that really strong enough? It can still only carry up to 3 bikes though.

Professional Amateur
    An update for anyone following along. This weekend I carried 2 bikes up the same ~8 mile rough washboard rocky road that caused my rack to loosen the first time. This time the rack was so loose I could pull it out of the hitch without loosening the tightening bolt. I felt lucky the rack did not fall out. I have contacted 1UP and they were very quick to facilitate the return process. They mentioned they don't know why this would be happening as they never hear complaints about their racks loosening up. Their customer service has been great, no complaints there. I am curious to see if they can discern any flaws in the tightening mechanism on my rack. Based on all the overwhelmingly positive reviews I have to think my rack was a fluke but we'll see what 1UP says.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Let us know what they say. It's got to be something wrong.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Hello folks,

I called them today, and they said they can make a custom version of the 1 bike carrier that has a 2" hitch attachment for $35 extra. This is for those of you out there that look at the 1.25" version and go is that really strong enough? It can still only carry up to 3 bikes though.
    Yes. It's the receiver spec not the rack. I carry 4 MTBs on mine no sweat.

J.

mtbr member
    Hello folks,

I prolly woulda paid the $35 for this. oh well- here's mine (and I agree with everyone- this thing is made very well):1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349548040.521646.jpg
    Last edited by minh; 10-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I recently after ALOT of research bought a 1Up rack.Let me tell you it is a quality piece of equipment and works great.Its nice when you call a company to talk with them you talk to the owner.

meh
    So my Kuat NV was rear ended and totalled, think I am gonna try the 1up this go round (really liked the NV though fwiw).

So one question for the owners of the black models, does it get super hot in the summer? Or just normal (vague I know, but some black metals will be scalding hot when left in the sun)

I live in TX and basically keep the rack on 24/7 so black is probably not ideal...but my car is black (also not ideal) so Ill prob go that route for aesthetics

Perdurabo
    I read through this entire thread. I don't think I have ever seen such a positive response to any product I've researched. In fact, the only real negative criticism seems to come from people that have something else. I ordered the single rack + 1 add on this morning (Monday). They said it would ship today and I would see it on Friday.
    This cat's on an intergalactic cruise...in his office?

Professional Amateur
    An update for those of you following along. I returned my 1UP rack due to loosening in the receiver. I was using the 1 1/4" with 2" adapter in my stock 2000 4Runner hitch. The rack would loosen up during in town driving over a couple of days and within 30 minutes of rough road driving.

1UP had a look and didn't notice anything obviously wrong with the rack, just that there appeared to be more wear on the edges of the 2" adapter than they normally see. They mentioned the radius of the corners on the adapter are too sharp for certain receivers which can hinder the rack's ability to seat properly.

I opted for a refund rather than try the 2" version. 1UP sent me a return shipping label at no cost to me and I didn't want them to have to do that again if the 2" rack still wouldn't hold tight. They were great about the return and kept me up to speed on what was going on. I'm glad everyone else's racks are working for them but if you have a stock Toyota 2" hitch from around 2000 maybe think about just going for the 2" from the beginning. The smaller version with adapter did not work for me. The only reason I went with the smaller mount in the first place was so I could have only 1 tray on the vehicle if I felt like it. If 1UP offered a 2" single rack with addon I would have certainly gone that route. Someone mentioned in this thread they (1UP) might be willing to offer this if you ask and pay a little extra.

mtbr member
    I drove over 100 miles of rough dirt roads with the rack this weekend and not one problem.
    Plus I don't baby my FJ on the trails. It doesn't look like it but my FJ has over 5k invested in the suspension so it can handle the rough stuff.

The 1up rack is by far the best rack I have ever owned!

Photobucket

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    ^^ Nice set-up!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    If anybody in Tampa Bay, FL wants a 2 bike 2" 1UP rack let me know, I just bought a truck and won't need mine anymore

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quick question. I have a friend with the 1 1/4" hitch version with 3 fat friendly racks on it. The rack bounces quite a bit with that much weight (bike are all at least 35 lbs per). Seems to be solid and no issues, but I was wondering if I get a 2" hitch version and put a 1 1/2" to 2" expander on my car if that would likely give more stability.

I ask because I believe the bouncing comes from flex in the aluminum 1 1/4" hitch insert and a solid steal 1 1/4" to 2" expander would, in my initial thoughts, be very similar to just having a 2" hitch on the car.

I know the expansion piece (Amazon.com: Curt Receiver Adapter Sleeve Adapts 1 1/4 inch to 2 inch: Automotive) will add 6 1/4 or 10 inches to the space between the rack and the car, but I don't think that would be an issue. Any thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Quick question. I have a friend with the 1 1/4" hitch version with 3 fat friendly racks on it. The rack bounces quite a bit with that much weight (bike are all at least 35 lbs per). Seems to be solid and no issues, but I was wondering if I get a 2" hitch version and put a 1 1/2" to 2" expander on my car if that would likely give more stability.

I ask because I believe the bouncing comes from flex in the aluminum 1 1/4" hitch insert and a solid steal 1 1/4" to 2" expander would, in my initial thoughts, be very similar to just having a 2" hitch on the car.

I know the expansion piece will add 6 1/4 or 10 inches to the space between the rack and the car, but I don't think that would be an issue. Any thoughts on this?
    i think you're going get a lot more movement in the rack if you do this. the 2" adapter sleeve is not going to be snug inside the 1.25" hitch. you would lose the whole advantage of the 1up rack and its tight fit. Plus the added length may add more torque to the hitch itself IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

No good

Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post

I know the expansion piece (Amazon.com: Curt Receiver Adapter Sleeve Adapts 1 1/4 inch to 2 inch: Automotive) will add 6 1/4 or 10 inches to the space between the rack and the car, but I don't think that would be an issue. Any thoughts on this?
    I would not do this.

I recently replaced my hitch because the Curt brand one allowed the rack to sit closer to the bumper. Basically, my old hitch had a "blind hole" that the rack bottomed out on. The Curt hitch has a thru-hole which allows me to mount the rack as close as the bumper allows. It made a huge difference in "bounce". The closer the better.

Rather than an extension, which I think is counterproductive, I would look at a strap. Curt makes one and u can buy on etrailer.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I spoke with someone at 1up a few minutes ago and he also advised against going from 1 1/4" to 2" and suggested getting the 1 1/4" version and selling it to swap when/if I have a 2" hitch some day.

I'll look into the stabilizing strap, that looks like a good idea.

ballbuster

Oh, the rack is plenty strong

Hello folks,

... it's the hitch that is the limitation, as 1Up is saying. I can see they don't want to be liable if somebody rips their spare tire well off their hatchback because they put 4 DH bikes on it and jumped the car down the hills of San Francisco, Steve McQueen style.

IIRC, there are two kinds of 1 1/4" hitches. The primary difference is the rated capacity. The hitch on my car looks pretty dang bulletproof, but I've seen some that looked like they were just simple 14ga steel stock, like a good solid bonk from a big rock kicked up and could dent it.

Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast