Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2334
    mtbr member
    I wouldn't call it an exhaustive search but I've tried to research and haven't found a good description of how this rack physically attaches to the hitch. Is it literally a ball that pushes into the side of the receiver tube and just uses that to hold the rack in? This rack looks great but it makes me nervous not having something like a solid hitch pin holding the rack on the car.

I guess I don't get how it doesn't eventually loosen and just fall off. It obviously doesn't cause this rack gets great reviews but I feel like I'm missing something...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's a jack screw that forces a ball up into the corner of the hitch. That, in turn forces the other half of the rack into the opposing two sides of the receiver. It's very secure and has no wobble either. You could probably tow a trailer on that attachment.

Think about it, there is very little fore and aft tension on a rack. All you need to do it hold it in place. This arrangement does that in spades. There is nothing to worry about.

The reason your hitch has a pin to go through it is because the receiver is designed to pull a lot of weight. For a 2" hitch, that's something like 6000 lbs or more in a lateral direction. That is not the problem the rack is designed to solve and, obviously, that's never going to occur.

J.

banned
    Sep 2012
    To the current 1up rack owners: how well do larger (2.3-2.5) tires fit?

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.4 Trail Kings and they fit fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    I wouldn't call it an exhaustive search but I've tried to research and haven't found a good description of how this rack physically attaches to the hitch. Is it literally a ball that pushes into the side of the receiver tube and just uses that to hold the rack in? This rack looks great but it makes me nervous not having something like a solid hitch pin holding the rack on the car.

I guess I don't get how it doesn't eventually loosen and just fall off. It obviously doesn't cause this rack gets great reviews but I feel like I'm missing something...
    Yes it is held in with the ball. I have checked the torque on the ball and never found it to be loose. I think it is a secure installation. The ball removes the normal slop in the hitch to receiver interface. In addition the unit comes with a Velcro strap that acts as a backup to the ball. There is not much force trying to remove the rack from the receiver, not like towing a trailer that needs a hitch pin.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post

I have taken my car with rack and bike on some gnarly off-road in CO and never had an issue with it coming loose or vibrate the bike of the rack. The rack holds on like glue on both the bike and the hitch.
    Previous posters explained well how it holds on but one more detail that helps is the relatively fine thread the bolt has that pushes the ball into the corner. Fine thread is less susceptible to vibration, just like the fine threads on a lathe, and thus it will stay in place better once set.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianne482 View Post
    To the current 1up rack owners: how well do larger (2.3-2.5) tires fit?
    Hans Dampfs and High Roller IIs fit with room to spare.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up1.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    I have taken my car with rack and bike on some gnarly off-road in CO and never had an issue with it coming loose or vibrate the bike of the rack. The rack holds on like glue on both the bike and the hitch.
    Previous posters explained well how it holds on but one more detail that helps is the relatively fine thread the bolt has that pushes the ball into the corner. Fine thread is less susceptible to vibration, just like the fine threads on a lathe, and thus it will stay in place better once set.
    My experience as well. 10,000 miles on mine. My experience is that it never loosens when tightened. I check it 50 miles after putting it on and never had it get looser.

J.

mtbr member
    And if you're worried about it that much, use a mini U-Lock to lock the rack to the hitch itself. Even if my ball mechanism fails, it will only slip a few cm before being caught by the U-Lock, so it's not going anywhere. Ever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I can confidently say that my rack has never moved.

J.

Professional Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    My experience as well. 10,000 miles on mine. My experience is that it never loosens when tightened. I check it 50 miles after putting it on and never had it get looser.

J.
    I posted my experience a while ago but nobody seemed to notice. My rack loosened up on about 8 miles of washboard road. Not to the point of falling out but I definitely could re-tighten the screw over 1/2 turn. To those that say the rack has no wobble I disagree. When fully tightened I can wobble the rack back and forth a bit. Other posters have said this is by design so it doesn't shake your bikes all around while driving over bumps.

I have the smaller hitch version with 2" adapter on a stock 2000 4Runner hitch carrying 2 bikes. It may be a small incompatibility between my particular hitch and the way this rack tightens? The hitch appears to be in pristine condition, I have only ever hauled a trailer once and have used other bike racks prior to the 1UP without issue. I am leaving it on the vehicle as I drive around throughout the week to see if it continues to happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I noticed your post and I also have commented on a similar experience. I have almost 100k on my rack right now and I've sent it back to 1up to get some of the internal components replaced. It's a mechanical device so things wear out. Whatever.

I'm not sure what you mean by wobble, but compared to other racks I've used, the 1up has none. Of course, when it's loaded with multiple bikes, there is flex in the system but there's nothing that can be done about that. I've had bikes on my rack bump into the car's spoiler when I've hit bumps on fireroads. In those circumstances, the flex was due to driving way too fast for the conditions.

Professional Amateur
    I will try to explain what I mean by wobble. After tightening the bolt as far as it will go I can grasp the edge of one of the trays between thumb and forefinger and move it up and down. You can see the rack moving in the trailer hitch ever so slightly. This translates to the edges of the rack trays swaying a bit. I'm not trying to say the rack does not feel secure when fully tightened but I wouldn't describe the rack and hitch acting as one, there is some small amount of play there which lets the rack wobble. I am wondering if I should have gone with the 2" rack version or if my hitch is somehow not 100% square or ever so slightly larger than 2".

I like the rack and am hoping it just needs a break in period. I have only had mine for a few months so I know the mechanics should not be worn out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    WHen I say "wobble" i mean that there is no slop or wobble at the receiver/rack interface. The rack will move up and down due to aluminum cantilevered out from the car and the normal springiness of Aluminum but is significantly less than that of steel.

If your receiver has any debris or flakes of corrosion in it (very common) then its possible that when you tighten it down, you may need to retighten. I'm pretty careful to make sure mine is clean and tighten it snugly and have never had to retighten.

I also have the 1.25" version with the 2" adaptor piece on it.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound View Post
    I will try to explain what I mean by wobble. After tightening the bolt as far as it will go I can grasp the edge of one of the trays between thumb and forefinger and move it up and down. You can see the rack moving in the trailer hitch ever so slightly. This translates to the edges of the rack trays swaying a bit. I'm not trying to say the rack does not feel secure when fully tightened but I wouldn't describe the rack and hitch acting as one, there is some small amount of play there which lets the rack wobble. I am wondering if I should have gone with the 2" rack version or if my hitch is somehow not 100% square or ever so slightly larger than 2".

I like the rack and am hoping it just needs a break in period. I have only had mine for a few months so I know the mechanics should not be worn out.
    I think what you describe is normal and is largely a function of the cantilevered arm out from the car. As well, the ball is back in the receiver a ways and presses the opposing side into the receiver corner. The tiny space between the edge of the rack and the ball is levered up a slight bit when you move the rack. However, at the ball in the receiver there is no movement and certainly not fore and aft. The tolerances on the receiver - which is not exactly a precision piece of hardware, could also be part of it. All of it, I'd not worry about.

In fact, if it bothered you, I'd just shim it before you tighten it. Find a thin piece of metal and insert that into the receiver under the rack before you tighten it. But, in general, I'd just not worry about it.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

On both my hitches (2" and 1 1/4") my 1 1/4" 1up is definitely secure with the hitch. I can unload the suspension by lifting on either the rack or the bikes. As John mentioned, there is normal flex in the rack when you lift/press on the furthest most point from the car, but that's not an inherent flaw. Everything flexes.

The rack is just a mechanical device and so there is no break in period like there is with a pair of shoes. Have you eliminated the possibility of the hitch not being securely attached to the vehicle itself?

Professional Amateur
    I'm not particularly worried about the wobble I described, I was just attempting to clarify what I meant because some comments suggested there was no play in the rack at all.

My hitch is secure, the only thing I am concerned about is the tightening bolt loosening up during transport. I will be driving on the same washboard/bad road this weekend so I'll tighten it down real well and see if it loosens again this time.

So far my experience has been the bolt will loosen up a bit in a short period of time on bad roads and also over the course of a couple days of in town driving. I assume it is the motion of the rack moving within the hitch while driving around that is causing the gradual loosening.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Do you have the unit that fits 1 and 2 in receivers? Or do you have an adaptor between the rack and your receiver? There is no way that there can be movement between the rack and the receiver with the ball tighten down. If there is movement there is something wrong with your receiver. Do you have any pictures of you installation?

Professional Amateur
    I have the 1 1/4 - 2" single Rack 1Up makes and the 2nd bike addon. The install is standard, no adapter except the L-shaped piece of Al 1Up includes to make it fit a 2". I will try to take pics but I think it's pretty normal

mtbr member
    on my 4Runner, the first install put the ball BEYOND the end of the backside of the receiver tube.

If you haven't, look underneath to see if the 1UP is too far in. (insert "she said" joke).

... and if we just ...

I have the 1 1/4 - 2" single Rack 1Up makes and the 2nd bike addon. The install is standard, no adapter except the L-shaped piece of Al 1Up includes to make it fit a 2". I will try to take pics but I think it's pretty normal
    I have the same set-up as you and have zero movement within the hitch from the bikerack. The bike does move bit in the rack driving around and this is normal, as all materials flex a little. To date I am not aware of anyone losing a bike while driving around. YMMV

mtbr member
    Has anyone noticed any stability difference between the 1.25" and 2" hitch versions? I only plan on carrying two bikes, but foresee the possibility of offroading with the bikes and I'm a little concerned about the bouncing.

See post 1257...I have the 1 1/4" with the adapter for my 2" hitch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave View Post
    Has anyone noticed any stability difference between the 1.25" and 2" hitch versions? I only plan on carrying two bikes, but foresee the possibility of offroading with the bikes and I'm a little concerned about the bouncing.
    Don't worry about it. 2 bikes will be super solid. I have the old style version that can go in either the 1.25" or the 2" hitch and we've driven 10,000 miles with 4 bikes on it - no issues. I can positively tell you that with two bikes on it, it's going to be very solid.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Don't worry about it. 2 bikes will be super solid. I have the old style version that can go in either the 1.25" or the 2" hitch and we've driven 10,000 miles with 4 bikes on it - no issues. I can positively tell you that with two bikes on it, it's going to be very solid.

J.
    100% agree. I have the 1up and Yakima roof rack on my car for when I carry 3+ bikes. On a recent trip, my Yakima Sprocket Rocket came loose while driving thru some rough stuff. The 1up, on the other hand with 2 bikes was rock solid.

Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast