Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,550 of 3232
    Robertson
    Got slow speed rear ended at a traffic light today with my 1Up folded up on the back of the car (no bike on it, thank god). Not a mark on the rack at all, but punched a nice hole in the front bumper of the lady that was too busy texting to stop hehehe. Not even kidding, when the cop who was filing the accident report was interviewing me, he started asking about the rack. He was amazed it was undamaged, said he's been unhappy with his cheapo one, and may get one now. So go 1Up I guess

unrooted
    Anyone else have problems with the rack coming loose when you drive rough roads???

I just did a week in Moab and every time I drove off road the hitch lock was loose. I took it apart to see if there was anything I could do and didn't find anything.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I practically took our car airborne at 80mph with four mountain bikes on it and nothing happened.

What you do have to be careful of is paint in the receiver. The rack has a ball that presses into the corner of the hitch receiver to create friction to hold it. If the receiver has a lot of extra paint or junk/debris in there, you can compromise the friction. It is worthy to note that the tightening of the hitch is only to provide friction to hold it in the receiver.

In general, with anything like this, it's a good idea to put it on and then check it at your first stop and re-tighten. After that, I can't imagine there would be a problem.

J.

mtbr member
    You can use an U lock to lock the rack to the car and on top of that a cable lock between the bikes, that way the rack won't be able to get off the hitch, it will be secured and also your bikes.

I do that when I go to a place that isn't that safe.

mtbr member
    ^ I use the mini U-Lock for my own peace of mind if the mechanism was to ever come loose. 3 years of service and still nothing.

BTW, has anyone's ball in the rack surface rusted? Mine doesn't look pretty. I always squirt some lube in there yearly for it to operate smooth, but gone is its shiny finished, quite pitted.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Anyone tray the Inno Tire Hold Hitch?

It works the same as the 1Up and its a $154 savings in black.

Inno Tire Hold Hitch - INH305 - Inno

For me, the 1Up looks good in black, but the up-charge for the finish is horrid. It looks like a turd in silver.

Your Best Friend
    It may be similar but there are big differences. It doesn't have the ability to carry 4 bikes, keeps them all flat and so your departure angle suffers and it appears to have plastic parts and doesn't have the ability to replace individual pieces should they break. It also can't carry a fat bike.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    I'd be surprised to find more than one person in this thread (there's always one) that would rather have $154 and that rack than their 1up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    BTW, has anyone's ball in the rack surface rusted? Mine doesn't look pretty. I always squirt some lube in there yearly for it to operate smooth, but gone is its shiny finished, quite pitted.
    The purpose of the ball is to jam up into the corner of the hitch receiver and create friction so that the rack can't come out of the receiver. There is no way it's going to stay shiny and it's going to get beat up.

j

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    The purpose of the ball is to jam up into the corner of the hitch receiver and create friction so that the rack can't come out of the receiver. There is no way it's going to stay shiny and it's going to get beat up.

j
    Actually the more beat up the ball is the better it will stay in the hitch.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    Actually the more beat up the ball is the better it will stay in the hitch.
    Exactly.

J.

unrooted
    So my problem is with the bolt that pushes the ball keeps coming loose when I drive off road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    So my problem is with the bolt that pushes the ball keeps coming loose when I drive off road.
    I don't have this issue, but I do have a friend that does. Have you tried Loctite?

unrooted
    I guess I'll have to try loctite. . .

I just emailed 1up and they responded quickly: here is the email chain:

Me: just got back from a week in Moab. I purchased the 1up from you in january or february. The bolt that pushes the ball bearing into the hitch keeps coming loose when I drive on rough terrain. Is there an easy fix?

1Up: The adapter in a 2” receiver will loosen some on rough terrain. Never enough to fall out, and the Velcro strap will prevent that from happening as well.

me: I tightened the adapter as much as I could, then tightened the rack into the hitch as much as I could immediately before going down a dirt road, then checked it immediately after and it was loose again.

I'm not as much worried about the rack falling off the truck, but I'm more worried about the rack sliding into my truck while driving and having my bike come into contact with my truck.

This sounds like a known issue. Are you working on a fix?

I would have to say I'm not terribly impressed with this issue. . . and the next time I get asked about the rack (which happens constantly) I'll let them know about the problem I'm having and suggest that they talk to someone with the 2" rack, or look into Kuat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I guess I'll have to try loctite. . .

I just emailed 1up and they responded quickly: here is the email chain:

Me: just got back from a week in Moab. I purchased the 1up from you in january or february. The bolt that pushes the ball bearing into the hitch keeps coming loose when I drive on rough terrain. Is there an easy fix?

1Up: The adapter in a 2” receiver will loosen some on rough terrain. Never enough to fall out, and the Velcro strap will prevent that from happening as well.

me: I tightened the adapter as much as I could, then tightened the rack into the hitch as much as I could immediately before going down a dirt road, then checked it immediately after and it was loose again.

I'm not as much worried about the rack falling off the truck, but I'm more worried about the rack sliding into my truck while driving and having my bike come into contact with my truck.

This sounds like a known issue. Are you working on a fix?

I would have to say I'm not terribly impressed with this issue. . . and the next time I get asked about the rack (which happens constantly) I'll let them know about the problem I'm having and suggest that they talk to someone with the 2" rack, or look into Kuat.
    To be clear - are you putting the rack on and then tightening it. Then after driving a while re-tightening it?

I have the original 1UpUSA rack that could do both 1.25" and 2" and we've driven it for probably 15,000 miles with no problems. However, when we put it on with a new receiver, we do as I write above. The check almost always needs another re-tightening and then it is tight for the trip. Subsequent uses with the receiver then need progressively less retightening. I attribute this to heavy paint and/or debris in the receiver that gets cleared or crushed so that it no longer allows for slop in the system.

Furthermore, the only purpose of the ball is to keep the rack tongue in the receiver. It is not load bearing in any way.

You could probably stop the whole problem and assure yourself that the rack would not slide in by using one of these:

1UPUSA.com :: 2" Hitch Bar Stop

Also, it's going to be just about impossible for 1UpUSA or any company to plan for off road forces. It all depends on how you drive and how much "off road" it is. There is just too much variance. In fact, if I recall correctly, most (if not all) rack manufacturers warranty the rack for paved road or smooth gravel road and not for off road use.

J.

unrooted
    I think it's a poor design.

If it's a known issue then 1up should include the bar stop with the rack, in my not so humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I presume then, that you did not retighten the rack after driving. This is sort of good standard procedure for any rack or attachment anyhow. Please try that.

Since many rack manufacturers don't warranty the rack for usage off road, if 1UpUSA is does then it seems to me you are way ahead.

J.

unrooted
    I did re-tighten the rack, every time I stopped.

I just ordered the bar-stop, which I think should either be included with the rack, or something on their website should indicate that it is suggested or necessary.

overall I really like the rack, I just think that if the rack isn't suggested to be used off road then they should make it obvious on their website.

But I should assume that if JohnJ80 bought the 1up then only an idiot would have a problem with the rack.

mtbr member
    Just curious, did you ever inspect the inside of your hitch receiver? I'm wondering if there is loose material in there like rust or dirt because if the inside of the receiver is not clean then the rack cannot properly grip on to the ID of the receiver. Try taking a wired brush and just give the ID of the receiver a good scrubbing. This will also rough up the surface to help the rack grip better.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

unrooted
    I'll do that Tony, but the receiver is clean and rust free.

I'll get some lock-tite at least for the adapter bolt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I did re-tighten the rack, every time I stopped.

I just ordered the bar-stop, which I think should either be included with the rack, or something on their website should indicate that it is suggested or necessary.

overall I really like the rack, I just think that if the rack isn't suggested to be used off road then they should make it obvious on their website.

But I should assume that if JohnJ80 bought the 1up then only an idiot would have a problem with the rack.
    How would a manufacturer define "off road" and exactly what would that be? Dried up creek beds or smooth gravel roads or no roads at all? How would it be even possible to figure the loading and warranty something as broad as that?

So I'm not sure that is a reasonable expectation no matter who you think is an idiot or not. My point is that if the manufacturer doesn't reject you out of hand for using it off road then you're already ahead because most manufacturers apparently don't warranty it and didn't design their racks for it.

unrooted
    I emailed Kuat the following:

I would like to know if you "rate" the 1 1/4" rack installed with the 2" adapter for offroad use.

They responded with:

This really depends on what you mean by offroad use. If you are talking dirt roads getting to your favorite trail, then yes the rack is recommended for that.

If you are talking about heavier offroading with mud pits with deep ruts and steep inclines, then no this is not recommended. The biggest reason for this is that with the constant up and down of the vehicle on these types of trails can put undue strain on the rack bouncing up and down plus there can be ground clearance issues.

I was driving on dirt roads that access some of the trails outside of Moab, even the tamest, washboard-ed, dirt roads would require me to re-crank the rack tighter.

beater
    FWIW, mine is the single with an add-on, so it's a 1.25" with a 2" adaptor. I've never had an issue after the initial use. That (slight) loosening was probably due to the ball crushing the paint and putting a pit inside the receiver, and I'm careful to install to the same depth each time. I've taken mine across the country, including Moab, and driven plenty of washboard gravel here in Montana without issue.

It sounds like you might have a bum unit, and I'd ask about swapping that mechanism out. I have a mini U lock that I use when I'm traveling, and that would prevent all but minimal movement in either direction.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone have a recommendation on how to address what may be a ball that won't retract into the hitch bar? I tried to remove my rack (generally stays on car year-round) the other day and it was stuck. My thoughts were the ball is not retracting, or enough rust has built up inside the hitch that it's holding the whole thing in pretty tight.

unrooted
    Name:  51M9kIFiImL._SY300_.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  13.4 KB

Or you could try driving on dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    FWIW, mine is the single with an add-on, so it's a 1.25" with a 2" adaptor. I've never had an issue after the initial use. That (slight) loosening was probably due to the ball crushing the paint and putting a pit inside the receiver, and I'm careful to install to the same depth each time. I've taken mine across the country, including Moab, and driven plenty of washboard gravel here in Montana without issue.

It sounds like you might have a bum unit, and I'd ask about swapping that mechanism out. I have a mini U lock that I use when I'm traveling, and that would prevent all but minimal movement in either direction.
    That's exactly my thought too. It's either the paint/debris issue or it's a defect in that particular rack. Presuming the off-road use is gravel roads - "smooth gravel roads" using Thule's phrasing - it should be fine. Otherwise as the response from kuat demonstrates, all bets are off which makes a lot of sense to me.

Fwiw, I've driven my racks down dirt and gravel roads and haven't had a problem either. That's a fully loaded 4 bike load too. But every time I've put it into a receiver it's not been in before, it loosens the first time or two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've been a 1up owner for 2+ years, love it, never had a problem. With my hitch the rack bottoms in the same place every time I install it, so the ball locking it in contacts the same place each time. Maybe installing the stop will make it so the ball contacts the same spot eliminating any issue, so others enjoy the rack as much as myself & others.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

unrooted
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-image.jpgIs this normal?

beater
    It looks like there's some bulging around the ball; is that the case? If so, I'd say no. Haven't seen that with mine.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

unrooted
    Yep, bulging around the ball. I emailed the picture to 1up to see what they say. I'm guessing they'll either say it's not an issue or it's my fault. I am not terribly impressed with them right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm guessing they'll either say it's not an issue or it's my fault. I am not terribly impressed with them right now.
    I'm guessing they'll take care of you.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

unrooted
    They must not be working today. . . Yesterday they responded immediately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I recently picked up a used black super duty rack plus add on. I just installed my hitch yesterday and then put the rack on. I am impressed with how easy it installs on the hitch receiver. There is some significant resistance when tilting the rack up or down (folding it). I see there is the adjustment that can lock it so it doesn't tilt. But I have it completely loosened and still have a fairly hard time tilting it when pulling up the black bar. Can anyone else comment if theirs is easy or hard to tilt? From watching videos, it seems like it shouldn't have much resistance?1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_20150416_200902114.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    easy to tilt. however almost all the things that move/swing/open/close have bolts that can be tightened or loosened. I would try adjusting those bolts. Just be careful you don't make something too loose...i think 1up errs on the side of keeping it tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Perfect. Thank you. I'll loosen them slightly...

unrooted
    Sweet!

Turns out that 1up has never seen a bulge around the ball of their rack. . . guess I'm lucky!

They are sending me a new hitch post, and I'll send them mine back.

I still want to know what caused it, whether it has to do with my truck or cars receiver, the dirt roads I was driving or something screwy with the manufacturing of the hitch post.

Your Best Friend
    Imagine that, they took care of you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrss13 View Post
    I recently picked up a used black super duty rack plus add on. I just installed my hitch yesterday and then put the rack on. I am impressed with how easy it installs on the hitch receiver. There is some significant resistance when tilting the rack up or down (folding it). I see there is the adjustment that can lock it so it doesn't tilt. But I have it completely loosened and still have a fairly hard time tilting it when pulling up the black bar. Can anyone else comment if theirs is easy or hard to tilt? From watching videos, it seems like it shouldn't have much resistance?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150416_200902114.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	981955
    The only problem I ever have is that the bar you pull to let the rack tilt binds a little sometimes and doesn't retract all the way. Once I've made sure it has fully released, the rack tilts without difficulty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sweet!

Turns out that 1up has never seen a bulge around the ball of their rack. . . guess I'm lucky!

They are sending me a new hitch post, and I'll send them mine back.

I still want to know what caused it, whether it has to do with my truck or cars receiver, the dirt roads I was driving or something screwy with the manufacturing of the hitch post.
    -----------
    unrooted: Seems to me the only thing that would cause a bulge around the ball like that would be if your receiver is a little larger Inside than a normal receiver, thus forcing the ball to extend further out than normal to lock it into place and bulging the post.
    -----------
    Also: a heads up to other owners. I'd recommend removing the Safety Allen Bolts that come with the rack for 'an add on rack' if you are not using them. I went to remove mine today and they are seized. I should have removed them when new (2 years ago) or at least removed them and applied Anti-Seize.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

Your Best Friend
    Never thought of that. I'm going to have to go check my bolts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I'd be surprised to find more than one person in this thread (there's always one) that would rather have $154 and that rack than their 1up.
    Personally, I came to the this thread to find out about what I thought was a budget rack, but I was shocked that black cost over $600.

Most of the time I just ride my bike. I dont drive it around. When I drive it around I like it in the hatch of my car, which is safer from theft, weighs less, more aerodynamic and its not going to hit or garage or get squished in a rear-ender (rare compared to the garage problem). Also cops my stop you if they think your licence plate is obscured by bikes.

Once in a blue moon I will ride with my other half and the really old no thrills Thule T2.

unrooted
    JP: that was my thought as well I asked 1up if they wanted measurements of my receiver but they didn't respond. It was stock on my tacoma.

mtbr member
    New season, new car. Old rack, old bikes. Still the same amount of stoke for my trusty 1up rack.

And I've noticed that with the Curt hitch on the Passat, there is a ton less sway vertically when the roads get bumpy. I no longer use a stabilizing strap like I did previously on my WRX wagon with a Curt hitch. The Passat hitch design looks much beefier.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Personally, I came to the this thread to find out about what I thought was a budget rack, but I was shocked that black cost over $600.

Most of the time I just ride my bike. I dont drive it around. When I drive it around I like it in the hatch of my car, which is safer from theft, weighs less, more aerodynamic and its not going to hit or garage or get squished in a rear-ender (rare compared to the garage problem). Also cops my stop you if they think your licence plate is obscured by bikes.

Once in a blue moon I will ride with my other half and the really old no thrills Thule T2.
    So why are you still here?

I've had my 1UP HD rack with 3 trays on the back of my pickup now for over 3 years (with exception of about 10 days) now. Empty or full, up or down, the damn thing just works!

Just like ANY other piece of machinery, it required periodic attention to cleaning and maintenance. You do your part, and the rack will do its part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Newbie here ... !
    I think this is the rack for me. Money not an object, functionality and strength is what matters:

I need a hitch mount rack that will hold 4 bikes for long family trips. 2 electric fat bikes (60lbs each, can remove battery and will be 52 lbs each) and 2 "normal" full suspension mtn. bikes. So far, I think this is the only rack that will hold the weight. Kuat says they can't handle it. Anyone hauling an electric fat bike or even something similiar to my situation?

mtbr member
    I believe the super duty is rated for 75lbs bikes. (Not sure if the addon rating is the same) this paired with the fat bike kit and you should be good to go!!

You won't have any regrets!!

edit.... I just looked it up. It appears the rack is rated for 4 bikes 50 lbs or less. So I'm guessing a max of 200lbs. I would shoot them an email and ask them the same question. But I would go for it, u should be good!!
    -= 2012+ Niner Air 9 - His
    -= 2015 Trek Skye SLX - Hers

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe you should just buy real bikes........

unrooted
    Electric bikes are great. . .at letting fat people pretend they are exercising. Thankfully the Feds are calling them motorized vehicles and won't let them on trails designated for non motorized traffic!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi Guys! New here, and just got my 1up 2 bike rack with 1 add on. I posted this on another thread but was hoping to get a quick answer!

I was playing around with it tonight and noticed that it was a little akward getting multiple bikes on it that were the same size due to how close the trays were together. I found the handlebars hitting each other, or if in opposite directions, hitting the seat of the other bike.

Is there a trick to getting them on without them hitting eachother? Maybe have one bike slid all the way to one side, while the other is slid all the way to the other? With my 29ers it didn't look like there was a lot of room to go one way or another? Maybe it's a slight learning curve with use, but thought I would ask here and let some experts chime in! Love how good the rack looks and the machining is fantastic. All the moving parts are flawless and super simple to use. I beleive I will love it, but want to figure out the best way to fit multiple large bikes on it.

I figured I could drop a seat to make it fit under the bars, but didn't want to mess with that every time I used it. Hope to get some help!

Proud American
    Carlbren21.... I often carry three bikes. You're right that it's super easy with 27.5 or 26. However, I think you'll find that even the 29ers (as I have) can roll forward or back on the tray just enough to avoid contact with each other. Every once in a while, you might have to adjust the seat height. But, that is the exception, made easier of course with comand posts. What you'll find is that there is more room than you think to roll the bikes and when you start to trust that the bikes wont fall off, things will get easier. I've logged a ton of miles driving all over the Southwest and have never had an 'incident'. I still am in awe of this rack! Take care.