Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I was this close > < to pulling the trigger, but now have a question. A big selling point to me was the lighter weight, I was under the impression that the rack was a LOT lighter. But after going to the checkout page for the rack and one add on, and seeing "50 lbs", that is the weight more or less of Thule and Yakima. Where's the weight savings? Maybe I just didn't read close enough here or on the website, but after reading closer on the website, it seems that the much lighter weight just comes from the fact that you can take it apart easily, and individually, each piece is lighter?

Am I missing something? Is that the case? And if so, does that really amount to a much lighter rack?

mtbr member
    After pages of reading and studying the pics, I'm still missing something
    What is the locking mechanism under the red lever that prevents it from opening once loaded?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    I was this close > < to pulling the trigger, but now have a question. A big selling point to me was the lighter weight, I was under the impression that the rack was a LOT lighter. But after going to the checkout page for the rack and one add on, and seeing "50 lbs", that is the weight more or less of Thule and Yakima. Where's the weight savings? Maybe I just didn't read close enough here or on the website, but after reading closer on the website, it seems that the much lighter weight just comes from the fact that you can take it apart easily, and individually, each piece is lighter?

Am I missing something? Is that the case? And if so, does that really amount to a much lighter rack?
    Post 54 - first tray is 25lb. Additional ones are lighter.

It makes a huge difference. My wife can install this rack herself, she can not even try that with regular racks that are in one large piece. Adding each next tray is similarly easy. I am a burly guy, but I would not put Thule/Yakima/Kuat on an off on a regular basis, both because of weight and the hassle of mounting.

Even two pieces is lighter then most racks. But of cause there is no magic - got to have material somewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    After pages of reading and studying the pics, I'm still missing something
    What is the locking mechanism under the red lever that prevents it from opening once loaded?
    Friction and pressure. There ia metal-to-metal contact at an angle which prevents the red lever from moving along the rail in an open position.

This is the best picture I could get:

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Combined shipping weight for the first rack and one add-on was 54 lbs. There is easily a few pounds of cardboard in that weightm plus maybe a pound or two of the allen keys. The rest would be the racks. So it's pretty close to that 50 lb combined mark.

However, the big difference comes when you handle them as two separate units. That makes a huge difference. When I used the rack this past weekend for the first time, I handled it as two units. I uninstalled it the same way, removed second, then first. It took a maximum of 10 seconds (if that) to get the second rack on or off from the first, and handling them as two separate pieces was well worth an extra 20 seconds combined.

Only reason I'd probably personally ever keep the two units combined when going on/off the car is if I was going to be needing the rack back-to-back days, or needed to put it on/off the car multiple times in the same day. Otherwise I'd separate them for ease of on/off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The trick is not that it is 54 lbs, but that you handle the weight in much smaller, far less awkward increments than that. With all of the other racks on the market, not only do they weigh a lot more, you need to pretty much deal with them as a single unit. Huge difference.

J.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    The trick is not that it is 54 lbs, but that you handle the weight in much smaller, far less awkward increments than that. With all of the other racks on the market, not only do they weigh a lot more, you need to pretty much deal with them as a single unit. Huge difference.

J.
    That, and I usually need only one rack. So it is 25lb occasionally, or 55+ always there. It can take about 1% of your fuel just to carry that weight around. Average car would spend almost $2K per fuel per year, so over 5 years you would save $100, if you do not have a heavy rack constantly attached as you commute to work etc..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HDClown
    Friction and pressure. There ia metal-to-metal contact at an angle which prevents the red lever from moving along the rail in an open position.

This is the best picture I could get:

So there are nothing threaded/screwed tight or ramped/cammed to lock in place?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Another reason to get a 29r

I just got mine in the mail today and I will echo the universal love for the thing.

One question I could not get answered before buying was if my tailgate would come down with a bike on the rack and tilted back. I know it's odd to use this on a tailgated vehicle but as much as I love my Avalanche it hauls everything well except bikes.

So, the answer, without further adieu: It depends. Works for me.

29r single speed fits great facing either way:

Looks like I will still be able to get stuff out:

Epic 29r Fits with chain facing out:

You can see why the 29r is important, chainstay just clears gate:

My wife's Schwinn medium 26r Does NOT fit:

GT 26r just barely makes it, had to re-clock the offset quick release:

Platforms just fit as well, probably depends on BB height:

The Avalanche has probably the worst shape for this as well, most pickup tailgates don't have the plastic on top. However, most pickups hold a bike just fine too!

All of these were taken with the rack pushed all the way into the hitch. Based on the requirement that you have the ball into the receiver at least 1" on my truck it could be pulled out up to 3 more inches but I like the idea that it works all the way in. You could also just take the bike off but this is one less motion, might help someone decide to go for this great product.

Alex

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    So there are nothing threaded/screwed tight or ramped/cammed to lock in place?
    It is cammed to lock in place. That is exactly what it is - a spring loaded camming device. Sort of interface that people trust their life with, for example in rock climbing.

I think my rear axle is more likely to come loose.

mtbr member
    Finally was able to use this rack today, setup for one bike and it's definitely one of the best purchases that I've made. Easy on and off of the bike, only thing that worries me in the rearview mirror is some swaying action when the roads get rough. But overall, I'm still 110% happy with my purchase. I'll snap some pics this weekend when I'll be hauling 2 bikes for the first true ride of the season.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Finally was able to use this rack today, setup for one bike and it's definitely one of the best purchases that I've made. Easy on and off of the bike, only thing that worries me in the rearview mirror is some swaying action when the roads get rough. But overall, I'm still 110% happy with my purchase. I'll snap some pics this weekend when I'll be hauling 2 bikes for the first true ride of the season.
    Glad to hear you like it.

Anything that you cantilever out is probably going to have some sway unless it is way, way overbuilt. That said, it's going to be much less than a steel one and due to it's construction. Most steel ones just have the single horizontal member. This rack has a much wider and more stable piece due to the box construction that holds the tray.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you were to see your rack from another car, I guarantee you the swaying would be non-existent. It seems works from inside because your rearview mirror vibrates a little, your head is moving, and you're a lot closer. I thought the same thing until I put my rack and bike on another car and followed them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well after 4 years of dropping the seats in my toyota solara, removing the front wheel of my bike and sliding it in through the trunk, I've decided to get a rack. I bought the hitch yesterday and just ordered the 1up this morning. His website states that they are in stock and will ship today or the next business day (my guess is Monday). I'm pretty excited, although $450 is a lot for a rack and hitch (in my opinion), I'm sure it is worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman
    Well after 4 years of dropping the seats in my toyota solara, removing the front wheel of my bike and sliding it in through the trunk, I've decided to get a rack. I bought the hitch yesterday and just ordered the 1up this morning. His website states that they are in stock and will ship today or the next business day (my guess is Monday). I'm pretty excited, although $450 is a lot for a rack and hitch (in my opinion), I'm sure it is worth it.
    Does $450 get you the 2-bike version?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I ordered a couple of days ago and received a tracking number less than an hour later.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66
    Does $450 get you the 2-bike version?
    I assume he meant $300 for a one-bike version and $150 for the hitch.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I assume he meant $300 for a one-bike version and $150 for the hitch.

Yes, that is what I meant. I am fairly certain a second bike tray would add $200 making my total $650.

mtbr member
    Pics as promised. I love this rack.

konahonzo

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Pics as promised. I love this rack.
    Hah. I had Kona (Coiler) and Transition TransAm on mine yesterday. But my TransAm is a bit more festive in the color department.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    what is the strap for?

mtbr member
    what is the strap for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's installation guide
    Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from Curt.
    Plus it get rids of some of the swaying.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    eurospek.. can you provide some detail on which specific u-lock, cable and lench, velcro straps for the wheels, etc. that you are using and where you purchased from?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You don't need the strap. I'm paranoid about things like that and this is way over the top for even me.

I put 4 bikes on mine and drove them 2500 miles with no problems. You only have two which decreases the lever arm substantially.

Looks great on your car. It's a terrific rack.

J.

mtbr member
    You don't need the strap. I'm paranoid about things like that and this is way over the top for even me.
    Maybe you're right, next trip I'll do without the strap and see how it performs.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Exactly. You don't need it. If you do, then there is something wrong with the rack. You'd be the only 1upUSA owner that needs a strap.

J.

mtbr member
    Exactly. You don't need it. If you do, then there is something wrong with the rack. You'd be the only 1upUSA owner that needs a strap.

J.
    The straps more so for the hitch than the rack itself.

And to answer HDClown's question:

eurospek.. can you provide some detail on which specific u-lock, cable and lench, velcro straps for the wheels, etc. that you are using and where you purchased from?
    Here's what I got:

Kryptonite Evolution Mini Bike U-Lock - 997931

Kryptonite Kryptoflex 1007 Bicycle Security Cable (10mm x 7-Foot)

D-Ring Cinch Strap 2"x24"

As for the security cable, 7 feet is enough to wrap around the frame and rear wheel on both bikes and return to the U-Lock at the hitch. As for the velcro straps, the 24" is a little long, you might get away with 20" length.
    konahonzo

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I can't see voiding your hitch warranty as being much of a concern. If there is a concern it would be the rack, and based on what everyone says, it isn't a concern.

Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Axe
    Custom User Title

J.
    Problem could be with the hitch. Some hitch mounts are pretty darn flimsy.

mtbr member
    A little late, but here are the pics I promised of 26 and 29 bikes on the rack.

26er with fairly big tires

29er (I happened to mount it a bit lopsided this time, but it still works. The arms are more than long enough.)

I love how this thing looks folded up on the vehicle also.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The straps more so for the hitch than the rack itself.

And to answer HDClown's question:

Here's what I got:

Kryptonite Evolution Mini Bike U-Lock - 997931
    Any chance you could measure the inside distance of the u-lock? I was looking at that one but I measured that I would need closer to right around 6" of clearance, so it seems like it will be to small per the specs.

mtbr member
    Any chance you could measure the inside distance of the u-lock? I was looking at that one but I measured that I would need closer to right around 6" of clearance, so it seems like it will be to small per the specs.
    5.25/5.5"

I originally bought this one, but it's super heavy, overbuilt, and was too long for my needs and that one measures 6", I still need to return it, lol.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Yeah, there's no way you're exceeding your hitch limitation with the rack and 2 bikes. Sh*t, even a Class 1 hitch has a 200lb tongue weight limit. I can't tell, but it looks like you have a Class 2? Are you planning on strapping some cinder blocks to your rack?

Plus it kind of defeats the purpose of a hitch rack if you're going to use a strap anyway. You might as well strap on a trunk rack.

Also, keep in mind that the rack/bikes aren't bouncing nearly as much as it looks like in the rear view mirror. Have someone drive behind you and tell you how much it moves. My friends told me mine was rock solid and didn't move at all. The expander bolt helps. There's really no play between the hitch and the rack arm. If it's bouncing, it's because the whole vehicle is bouncing with it.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey All you 1up owners,

I am about to go ahead and pull the trigger on this rack, but I was hoping I can get an answer from one of you before I do. I saw in an earlier post that someone configured their 1up as a 4 bike carrier ( added 3 add-ons to the main one). On the 1up website, they say maximum bike configuration is 3 (main one to the hitch plus 2 add-ons). Are the older 1 up's built differently than newer ones or is the using the main one to the hitch plus 3 additional add-ons are a "use this config at your own risk" type of thing? Please let me know and thanks in advanced!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeezy
    Hey All you 1up owners,

I am about to go ahead and pull the trigger on this rack, but I was hoping I can get an answer from one of you before I do. I saw in an earlier post that someone configured their 1up as a 4 bike carrier ( added 3 add-ons to the main one). On the 1up website, they say maximum bike configuration is 3 (main one to the hitch plus 2 add-ons). Are the older 1 up's built differently than newer ones or is the using the main one to the hitch plus 3 additional add-ons are a "use this config at your own risk" type of thing? Please let me know and thanks in advanced!!
    It has nothing to do with the rack and everything to do with the size of the hitch receiver and the respective load rating of the hitch. You can put 3 bikes on an 1.25" receiver and 4 bikes on a 2" one.

J.

mtbr member
    Hey All you 1up owners,

It's a use at your own risk thing. They used to advertise it as 4-max but changed it at some point probably for liability reasons. The design of the rack is the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Right. It's that a 1.25" industry rating on a hitch is not sufficient for 4 50lb bikes or something like that. I think a 2" hitch is typically rated for something like 300lbs of tongue weight. A 1.25" hitch is a lot less than that.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ah. Here's the link that explains it:

http://www.1upusa.com/class_hitch.htm

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    JohnJ80 and d_wrek,

Thanks for your response! Thanks also for the link about the different classes of hitch receivers! I am gonna go ahead and buy the rack along with 2 add-ons(I like that new black anodized one even tho they're all $50 more, at least shipping is free). I'll buy the 3rd add-on when my youngest needs to move up in bike size (right now her's fits in the back of my SUV.) Again, thanks. Your responses (along with everyone else's input on this rack) makes me feel more comfortable about buying it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    JohnJ80 and d_wrek,

Thanks for your response! Thanks also for the link about the different classes of hitch receivers! I am gonna go ahead and buy the rack along with 2 add-ons(I like that new black anodized one even tho they're all $50 more, at least shipping is free). I'll buy the 3rd add-on when my youngest needs to move up in bike size (right now her's fits in the back of my SUV.) Again, thanks. Your responses (along with everyone else's input on this rack) makes me feel more comfortable about buying it!
    Glad to help. Let us know how you like it.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Did you guys get a tracking # after placing your order?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    Did you guys get a tracking # after placing your order?

Thanks!
    Yes. Mine shipped within 4 hours after ordering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I got a super quick tracking number as well.

Does anyone have a more secure method of locking your bike to the rack? I know cables are decent for the casual thief, but they are usually cut easily with bolt cutters.
    Last edited by irv_usc; 04-19-2011 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use a heavy duty square profile chain and ABUS lock. I'd rather use a u-lock but the design of the rack and the frame conspire against me. Never been too concerned.

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad
    I use a heavy duty square profile chain and ABUS lock. I'd rather use a u-lock but the design of the rack and the frame conspire against me. Never been too concerned.
    Have you tried the Sheldon Brown method? This, and a 4' cable to go through the front wheel works with just about any rack.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

J.

mtbr member
    Just have a few short hauls on mine-so far it's awersome- one clean design! I am amazed how secure itseems to be-

Question for all the other 1uppers: In the rear view notice some cyclic(no pun intended) front wheel/fork wobble (obviously on the head set axis) when going down the road. Anyone found a way to eliminate this other than squashing the tires to the rim?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nothing to worry about. If it bothers you, just take a toe clip strap and put it around the bottom of one of the wheels and the tray.

There is no way this bike can come out of the rack. I've hit a massive bump at 80mph with 4 bikes on the back and no problems.

j.

mtbr member
    Not worried about losing the bike, just the head set or forks cycling for hours on end on long trips I guess. The cycling just shows how the 1up it not terribly torsionally rigid- the tire arms have alot of leverage on the tray. Now if the head set was locked straight, the bike and rack would support each other torsionally. As is, the frontend and one side twist opposite of the rest of the bike and the other end of the rack. Minor quibble. I might throw a tie-down over the top tube and down again to provide just a bit of downward force on the frame/suspension...?

But I do wish I could have waited for the balck ano version

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't think it will cause any headset wear if that's what you are worried about.

I suppose if it worried you then you could put one of the handlebar stabilizer things on it. Maybe the one from Park Tool or the one from Feedback Sports for their repair stands would work?

Try the torsional rigidity of the other hitch racks made from steel. They have a lot less support in that area with the arm being up on the wheel and the tray being bolted to the narrow crossbeam. The 1UpUSA rack has less torsion than the others.

J.

mtbr member
    Oh no doubt- this rack is tits and a no brainer for me ,like them, too....
    FWIW - I just tried the tie down thing, and that really stiffened things up with just a bit of preload.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My 1Up rack comes in today!!!

Rant Mode: On...could've been sooner but no...UPS sucks. No wonder I don't like UPS.
    1. Arrived at UPS facility on Monday afternoon at 12:00PM.
    2. Sits there all day on Monday. Tuesday's night(36+hours later), it finally gets move to the UPS facility closer to my house.
    3. Distance in driving between the two UP facility? 45min max.
    4. Out for delivery today.

Could've been worst. Could've arrived at the first facility on Thursday and sit there for 36+ hours and..Whooopsss..UPS don't deliver on weekend, so it gets deliver on Monday instead.

Rant Mode: Off

UPDATE:
    At the end of the hitch adapter, if you look inside of it, there is a red plastic cap. Anyone know what that does? I screwed on the anti-theft bolt all the way and didn't see or notice the red plastic cap moving at all.
    Anyone know what the red cap inside the hitch adapter is there for?
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron10101; 04-27-2011 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm thinking that section is threaded all the way through. My guess is that the cap holds in the lubrication and keeps gunk from getting into the threads.

You want to be the guinea pig to investigate? I'm curious now as well.

mtbr member
    Do you guys use anything on the railing system with the red levers that move the wheel arms? I had the rack out for the first time in a little rain shower last night, went to use it again today, and each of the mechanisms is screeching and squeaky when you move them up and down the rail. Safe to spray some WD40 on it?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Could someone explain what the hole in the center of the addon is used for? I circle it in RED for clarification.

Next, I notice that the addon security isn't all that great. If you look at my pictures, you will see that at the end of the anti-theft bolt, is a hex nut. Couldn't a thief just walk up and unlock the nut at the end of the anti-theft bolt? Also, the anti-bolt itself isn't recessed, and if you look carefully, there are groves on it allow for a tool such as a plier to get a better grip while you have a wrench working on the hex nut.

Overall, 1Up bike rack is great!!! I just used it today to transport a new bike home and it work flawlessly and easily. In fact, I'm going to buy another bike addon. How many bike addon can it support? I heard 3 for the 1 1/4" and 4 for the 2" hitch. Is that right?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Do you guys use anything on the railing system with the red levers that move the wheel arms? I had the rack out for the first time in a little rain shower last night, went to use it again today, and each of the mechanisms is screeching and squeaky when you move them up and down the rail. Safe to spray some WD40 on it?
    Nope. Never used anything on it and mines been rained on plenty. Should be safe to use WD40 on any of the parts that aren't used to lock the rail - i.e. sliding parts on the sides.

J.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Nope. Never used anything on it and mines been rained on plenty. Should be safe to use WD40 on any of the parts that aren't used to lock the rail - i.e. sliding parts on the sides.

J.
    I would suggest silicon spray, not WD40.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would suggest nothing at all. Once, some chain lube dripped on one side and made it nice and quiet. I thought I would lube all the pivots and rails. Fail. The problem is that the lube loosens up the nylock nuts as well which can cause the arms to loosen up. Just keep it clean and you'll be fine. The screech just lets everyone know who has the coolest rack on the block.

As for the posters who are worried about the nuts behind the security bolt: do you really think that there are roaming criminals who carry a box wrench for the sole purpose of removing just the add-on tray of 1up racks? Doesn't that seem like a really niche crime to be concerned about?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Next, I notice that the addon security isn't all that great. If you look at my pictures, you will see that at the end of the anti-theft bolt, is a hex nut. Couldn't a thief just walk up and unlock the nut at the end of the anti-theft bolt? Also, the anti-bolt itself isn't recessed, and if you look carefully, there are groves on it allow for a tool such as a plier to get a better grip while you have a wrench working on the hex nut.
    The hex nut is just there to keep the security bolt from backing all the way out when you're installing an add-on rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    The hex nut is just there to keep the security bolt from backing all the way out when you're installing an add-on rack.
    That part I understood because the hext nut isn't flush against the addon rack nor does the instructions mention the next to tightten the hex nut.

What I wish they did was make it flush like it is on the main hitch adapter when it's tighten up. That would've been nice.

As for the posters who are worried about the nuts behind the security bolt: do you really think that there are roaming criminals who carry a box wrench for the sole purpose of removing just the add-on tray of 1up racks? Doesn't that seem like a really niche crime to be concerned about?
    Criminals carry around a big lock cutter....wouldn't surprise me if they have other tools with them then just a cutter in their bag.

Anyways, just order my 3rd add-on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Criminals carry around a big lock cutter....wouldn't surprise me if they have other tools with them then just a cutter in their bag.

Anyways, just order my 3rd add-on.
    Well, I never question where the never ending supply of 1up add-on racks come from on CL. These must be the guys you're talking about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I once saw a guy pull a 3ft long bolt cutter out of his pant leg, so I don't think criminals usually carry a tool box around with them...

as far as the security of the add-on, I was thinking of changing out that bolt to a cap headed security bolt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

"Casual" Add-On Theft

As for the posters who are worried about the nuts behind the security bolt: do you really think that there are roaming criminals who carry a box wrench.
    "Yeah, well... You're not from Chicago." /Ness

Here is the 1up rack mod I had fab'ed to prevent this casual theft of the Add-on rack and here is my original post detailing same 1up Rack Mod

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ICONCLS: I asked 1Up about custom fabbing a piece like you them do, and they refused to do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice job ICONCLS! That's what 1Up ahould've done w/ the two anti-theft bolt.

BTW, anyone uses the black velco strap that comes w/ the 1up rack? It seems to be useless since you have the black knob (forgot what they called it) that you can turn until it presses against the black bar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ICONCLS
    "Yeah, well... You're not from Chicago." /Ness

Here is the 1up rack mod I had fab'ed to prevent this casual theft of the Add-on rack
    You and others are missing the point: it isn't about casual thieves. The ones that will get your junk are the ones that pay attention to how your rack is installed, your habits, patterns, etc, and plan accordingly. If someone wants it, they will get it.

My point is just that it seems like a very low-yield thing to worry about. Kinda like "excess headset wear" or myriad other things people seem to concern themselves with.

Anyhow, it's good to be proactive and protect your stuff.

mtbr member
    So I cleaned the rack as it was kinda muddy from the last ride, let it air dry, and no more screeching noises. Figured dirt might have gotten into the mechanism or water. All is good. Didn't lube anything and don't plan on it.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This is a great thread and has convinced me that this is the rack I want to purchase but I haven't found the clearance on the mount anywhere. Can someone measure the clearance between the receiver hitch and the center (or edge) of the first bike tray?

I have created a poor illustration to show what I'm talking about

I'm wanting to mount this on a 2011 Jeep Wrangler with a standard 32" spare tire on the rear tailgate if anyone has any experience with it.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-distance1.jpg  

Last edited by wsettle; 04-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just a comment, the dimension you note is somewhat variable since the rack expansion ball only has to be inserted a min of 1" into the hitch receiver. However, I would think more is better.

J.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Ok, a question (or a few questions). So far I really like the functionality of the rack but for one issue: the black bar the engages/disengages to change the position of the rack often "sticks"; I have trouble disengaging it. One side will lift but the other won't. Will this get easier or is there something I can do to make it easier? Also, the instructions weren't clear about the black knob (visible in ICONCLS's pics). When I "tightened" it, it seemed to make it even harder for me to disengage the black bar, so I backed off on it, but I'm not sure I understand what it does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok, a question (or a few questions). So far I really like the functionality of the rack but for one issue: the black bar the engages/disengages to change the position of the rack often "sticks"; I have trouble disengaging it. One side will lift but the other won't. Will this get easier or is there something I can do to make it easier? Also, the instructions weren't clear about the black knob (visible in ICONCLS's pics). When I "tightened" it, it seemed to make it even harder for me to disengage the black bar, so I backed off on it, but I'm not sure I understand what it does.
    The black bar will get stuck a little because of the weight being apply to it. To make it easier, squeeze it a little and start lifting it up to get the other side out easier.

As for the black knob, the only time you should tighten the black knob so it is pushed against the black bar is when you're transporting bikes. The black knob, when closed, prevents you, anyone, or it accidentally opening up from vibration due to the car moving. It's not necessary, but an added security to prevent the bar from accidentally sliding out.

Summary:
    1. If any bike are on AND the car is moving, make sure the black knob is turned all the way so it is pushed against the black bar.
    2. All other times, the black knob can be in any positions.

Now, for even security, 1up also included the velctro strap. Slip that on the black bar and the other bar near it and strap it down. BUT, I really don't see any use to the velcro strp. Anyone else use or find any use for the velcro strap?
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron10101; 05-01-2011 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just a comment, the dimension you note is somewhat variable since the rack expansion ball only has to be inserted a min of 1" into the hitch receiver. However, I would think more is better.

J.
    Ah, I see. So, assuming it's pushed in 1", can anyone help a brother out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The car with the hitch is not home right now, but it looks like about 14" or so - give or take measuring it while hanging up on the wall.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There's also these on the 1UpUSA website. Might want to talk to them about these extenders and how well they work.

http://www.1upusa.com/hitch_extenderreducers.htm

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great, thanks. The jeep only needs about 11-12" so that looks like it will work without an extender.

I saw the extender but I prefer to not use them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yep. I wouldn't either.

Probably with 1 add on kit it might still fold straight up against the back of the vehicle too.

BTW, the measurement that I did was to the middle of the tray, not to the edge of the tray. Also you'd have to figure out how the bike fits in there. I'd give 1UpUSA a call and ask them. They'd probably know the answer and have tried it.

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The pictures in the install guide imply that the included velcro strap is for added safety in holding your rack to the hitch.

I've only used it in that manner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yep. I wouldn't either.

Probably with 1 add on kit it might still fold straight up against the back of the vehicle too.

BTW, the measurement that I did was to the middle of the tray, not to the edge of the tray. Also you'd have to figure out how the bike fits in there. I'd give 1UpUSA a call and ask them. They'd probably know the answer and have tried it.

J.
    Thanks, appreciate it. I'll give them a call today as our email conversation didn't provide any useful information when i asked them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc
    The pictures in the install guide imply that the included velcro strap is for added safety in holding your rack to the hitch.

I've only used it in that manner.
    Mine didn't come with velcro straps, must be something new.

mtbr member
    I would suggest nothing at all. Once, some chain lube dripped on one side and made it nice and quiet. I thought I would lube all the pivots and rails. Fail. The problem is that the lube loosens up the nylock nuts as well which can cause the arms to loosen up. Just keep it clean and you'll be fine. The screech just lets everyone know who has the coolest rack on the block.

No, but other 1-up users might. I've been seeing more and more of this rack around the front range of Colorado recently. Word must be spreading. If anyone is going to steal your tray, it's going to be another 1-up user who decides he wants another tray for free. =/ The only hope is that most mountain bikers know how much it sucks to have a bike stolen and most would never steal from our own community, right? Still, it seems trivial to constantly worry about it. If it's going to happen, it will happen. Like most things, they'll get it if they really want it. There's not much you can do about it, so no point in worrying.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    ... so no point in worrying.
    Exactly!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    If anyone is going to steal your tray, it's going to be another 1-up user who decides he wants another tray for free. =/
    Who cares about the hex nut then? Such a criminal will have the original allen key in his pocket.

When my bike(s) are off, I often just throw the rack in the back of my van, and I do not keep it hooked up all the time. That was the whole point for getting it vs Kuat or Yakima.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's entirely doable with this thing. Literally, on and off in a minute.

J.

mtbr member
    It's official. My rack doesn't like the rain. Returned from a late ride today and it was raining on the way back. And of course, unloading the bikes in the garage, all the mechanisms made that annoying screeching sound once again when you were moving the locking arms. Oh well.
    konahonzo

Axe
    Custom User Title
    It's official. My rack doesn't like the rain. Returned from a late ride today and it was raining on the way back. And of course, unloading the bikes in the garage, all the mechanisms made that annoying screeching sound once again when you were moving the locking arms. Oh well.
    I think silicon spray does not damage the plastic nuts (unlike oils and thinners etc in WD40 and the like). But personally, I would not bother.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I am going to the store later today to buy a cable and lock for my bike/racks.

Can anyone give me some idea of what length of cable you found useful for a 2 tray setup?
    Last edited by Bagwhan; 05-04-2011 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I also have one of these racks. I have owned lots of rack in my 20 years of cycling and it is by far the best. I love buying stuff like this. Extremely well thought out and extremely well made.

I actually have two mounts that I would like to sell. I bought them and have only used them a few times. I have 4 mounts total and only have a need for two. Is there anyone interested in purchasing them? PM me with a reasonable offer for the two, including shipping. I am in Ohio.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How do we know you're not the guy everyone here is worried about, stealing add-on racks from unsuspecting 1up owners!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll include a photocopy of my receipt if you purchase.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Buehler?

I am going to the store later today to buy a cable and lock for my bike/racks.

Can anyone give me some idea of what length of cable you found useful for a 2 tray setup?
    Also, any idea of a good place to shop for a cable? Home Depot?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a 7 ft kryptonite and it barely reaches around two bikes and the rack.

home depot has a beefy 5/8" cable/lock combo by masterlock, but they only carry 6 ft.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Well, the elusive white iPhone did beat the roof rack compatible 1up to the punch. Got the news that "We have a new extrusion coming for a better design at the end of the month.". Been one year waiting now.

I wonder what JonJ80 did to wrestle the prototypes from them. I tried to no avail.

My wife had been bugging me for a year now why I keep showing her bike in the back of the car, but I am sure if I give up on waiting and get a regular extension they will come out with what I want the next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rixstark
    I'll include a photocopy of my receipt if you purchase.
    Haha, just giving you a hard time

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Out with the old in with the new

Pictures speak louder then words
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-001.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-002.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-005.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-003.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice black!!! If I was getting only one rack, I could have stomached the difference but with two rack, silver ftw.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Skimmed in through all 10 pages here and a couple of other threads. Didn't see an answer for my question, but I bet someone here knows.

I have an Element that has a short tailgate. I was wondering if the tailgate would fully clear a one tray rack that was folded up against the vehicle?

If no one knows, would someone kindly measure from the top of a one tray rack (highest point) to the center of the receiver? Thanks!

It's not a deal killer, but it would be very nice to keep it tucked in all the time AND be able to use the tailgate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    Skimmed in through all 10 pages here and a couple of other threads. Didn't see an answer for my question, but I bet someone here knows.

I have an Element that has a short tailgate. I was wondering if the tailgate would fully clear a one tray rack that was folded up against the vehicle?

If no one knows, would someone kindly measure from the top of a one tray rack (highest point) to the center of the receiver? Thanks!

It's not a deal killer, but it would be very nice to keep it tucked in all the time AND be able to use the tailgate.
    I will try and measure tomorrow but I just want to make sure I understand you right: you want to know if you can lower your tailgate when the rack is folded up vertically? FWIW, the rack clears the hatch on my Honda Fit when the rack is folded up.

mtbr member
    I will try and measure tomorrow but I just want to make sure I understand you right: you want to know if you can lower your tailgate when the rack is folded up vertically? FWIW, the rack clears the hatch on my Honda Fit when the rack is folded up.
    Yes, you are correct. I've noticed several others that it appears their trunk lids or hatches will clear. The difference with the Element is that the tailgate folds down. So, the height in the vertical position would be important to know.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Going to my 1up to the real test this weekend. Hauling 4 ~30# bikes 250 miles to do the Great Allegheny Passage with the Boy Scouts. The rack will then be used on the chase vehicle for 50 miles for the scouts. Some of the Scout's bikes are WalMart super shock types and are HEAVY. I'm thinking I'm going to drop down to 3 trays just to be safe. Right now I'm sure wishing I had an old beater rack as I won't be present to load and unload bikes.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 468