Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    J
    ROOOOOOOO
    I called them up this weekend, no answer. Left a message asking for a call back. Went ahead and placed an order anyway based on this thread.

I called today, asking when my rack would ship. Mike told me that they were quicker than they usually were, about a week or so.

I asked him why nobody returned my call, and the answer was "I'm not sure, Cal handles all that".

Im sure this product is going to be great, but I have a problem with companies that can't hack basic customer service. I have $300 I want to give you, but nobody can give me a call back? Maybe the guy is busy, but I'm slightly annoyed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Then just buy another rack if that gives you more piece of mind. It's simple, they are a small company and with all the talk about that this couldn't have been a surprise. Sounds like you got your answer though.

Sometimes in small businesses, you have to make a choice about either getting it shipped or talking about shipping it which can slow you down in the actual shipment. I'd rather they just shipped it instead of talking about it if I have to choose.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Then just buy another rack if that gives you more piece of mind.
    Spending time on calling back is not too cheap, in all actuality. I think Bikesdirect's guy here had been quoting that implementing a on-call support - as opposed to email - would cost him arund 7% of profit. Which is not out the realm of feasible. Not that I enjoy a lack of communication, but everybody decides - customer whether they want to deal with a company - and company - whether they need to jump through all possible hoops for every possible customer. Overall - I do not believe that 1UP is bad in the customer service area.

mtbr member
    This statement has me wondering...

"We are so confident that our security system will prevent rack theft that if your Quik-Rack is stolen off your vehicle we will replace it for FREE!"

How exactly would you prove to them your rack was stolen if it's gone? And they can't just take people's word for it, otherwise they'd "misplace" their rack and say there's was stolen right? I'm afraid if someone actually did manage to steal the rack itself I'd be screwed, despite their claims to the contrary.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 09-14-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    This statement has me wondering...

"We are so confident that our security system will prevent rack theft that if your Quik-Rack is stolen off your vehicle we will replace it for FREE!"

How exactly would you prove to them your rack was stolen if it's gone? And they can't just take people's word for it, otherwise they'd "misplace" their rack and say there's was stolen right?
    I would assume that you will file a police report for theft? Which would be a felony of some sorts, if it is false?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would assume most calls are pre-sale. I called twice, when I was first considering racks I was also considering a bent bike for the wife and wanted to know if the rack would handle the bent. He gave me the wheel base the rack would handle and said I could have custom trays made up if I gave him details on the bike. A couple of months later I ended up going with a standard bike for the wife and purchased the 1up. The first trip with 4 bikes rattled my cage as the apparent movement in the rear view seemed extreme so I called asking about failures with 4 bike setups, he said that he's sold a bunch of 4 bike units and never had a failure but I could take a video of the movement and send it to him or return the rack if it made me feel better. I did neither and now just try very hard not to look in the rear view while I'm going down the road.

I don't see myself calling 1up again unless the rack fails or I need something else they sell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped
    I would assume most calls are pre-sale. I called twice, when I was first considering racks I was also considering a bent bike for the wife and wanted to know if the rack would handle the bent. He gave me the wheel base the rack would handle and said I could have custom trays made up if I gave him details on the bike. A couple of months later I ended up going with a standard bike for the wife and purchased the 1up. The first trip with 4 bikes rattled my cage as the apparent movement in the rear view seemed extreme so I called asking about failures with 4 bike setups, he said that he's sold a bunch of 4 bike units and never had a failure but I could take a video of the movement and send it to him or return the rack if it made me feel better. I did neither and now just try very hard not to look in the rear view while I'm going down the road.

I don't see myself calling 1up again unless the rack fails or I need something else they sell.
    Don't they say right on the front page that it's a 3 bike maximum?

Because the Quik-Rack has a 1-1/4" hitch bar the bike limit is 3 bike maximum, and no more than 50 pounds per bike.

Even with the 2 inch adapter the arm is still 1-1/4".
    LMB

mtbr member
    Don't they say right on the front page that it's a 3 bike maximum?

Because the Quik-Rack has a 1-1/4" hitch bar the bike limit is 3 bike maximum, and no more than 50 pounds per bike.

Even with the 2 inch adapter the arm is still 1-1/4".
    Not sure what and why they changed - it was previously stating there is no such limitation stated when used with 2", as it is the limitation of the hitch, not of the rack. Class I and II have 200 or 300lb tonque weight maximum.

Two Tired
    Maybe you should call during their business hours. I have called a few times and they have answered quickly and provided detailed and helpful answers. It sounds like Mike were there when you called during business hours. Perhaps they didn't realize that you would be waiting for the weekend to call them.

I ordered on-line during the holiday weekend. I didn't expect more than the automated response that I got. When I checked on shipment date the next week, they were right on top of it. They shipped sooner than scheduled.

This met my expectations for a small company. I was not upset that I wasn't redirected to a call center in India. I guess my expectations are lower than yours, but I don't seem to get quite as wound up about either.

Just relax. Everything will work out.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Not sure what and why they changed - it was previously stating there is no such limitation stated when used with 2", as it is the limitation of the hitch, not of the rack. Class I and II have 200 or 300lb tonque weight maximum.

They didn't change anything. If you look at the weight limit section, it says exactly that...3 bikes (150 lbs total) for 1 /14 or 4 bikes (200 lbs total) for 2".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    They didn't change anything. If you look at the weight limit section, it says exactly that...3 bikes (150 lbs total) for 1 /14 or 4 bikes (200 lbs total) for 2".
    Where do you see that? Am I missing something? I thought I remembered seeing a different weight limit somewhere for 2 inch hitches when I looked at the website months ago, but I've looked all over the website recently and this is the only weight limit information I see. Maybe they had an issue with a 4 bike setup and took it off for liability reasons? They don't mention another limit for 2" Class 3 hitches that I can see. If you click the link about receiver classes, it just tells you about receiver classes, not weight limits for the rack. I'm sure it's perfectly capable of supporting 4 bikes with a 2 inch hitch, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the site anymore?
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 01-11-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Plus if you go to the page below, it's even more confusing. It says at the top:
    Transport up to 4 bikes with Add-On's Price $199 each

then right below that it says:
    You can transport 1, 2 or 3 bikes with the 1up USA Quik-Rack

http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackversatiletrays.htm

Seriously, which is it?

Personally, I don't care since I'm only going to ever be carrying 2 bikes max, but I just noticed this and was like hmmmmm....unless I'm totally missing something here. It's possible.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Plus if you go to the page below, it's even more confusing. It says at the top:
    Transport up to 4 bikes with Add-On's Price $199 each

then right below that it says:
    You can transport 1, 2 or 3 bikes with the 1up USA Quik-Rack

http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackversatiletrays.htm

Seriously, which is it?

Personally, I don't care since I'm only going to ever be carrying 2 bikes max, but I just noticed this and was like hmmmmm....unless I'm totally missing something here. It's possible.
    That's alarming! Does that mean my 4 bike setup isn't road worthy? Anyone get clarification on this?

mtbr member
    That's alarming! Does that mean my 4 bike setup isn't road worthy? Anyone get clarification on this?
    If you use it with 2" hitch and do not carry 4x 50lb DH rigs, I doubt there is any issue at all. My guess they are worried about people loading up on 1-1/4" hitches - which are not that strong.

Kuat has 2 x 40lb limit - and 4 bike extension is for 2" recievers only. I guess that extra 10lb per bike is the added weight of the rack itself. So 1Up has a higher limit actually - and they let you use with 3 bikes in 1-1/4.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing it can probably support it and be fine on a 2 inch hitch, especially since your bikes probably aren't 50 pounds each. I just thought it was worth noting that they list it as 3 bikes, 150 pounds maximum on their site now. There's obviously plenty of people who run them with 4 bikes.

I just want my single tray rack to get here. The waiting is killing me lol.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm guessing it can probably support it and be fine on a 2 inch hitch, especially since your bikes probably aren't 50 pounds each. I just thought it was worth noting that they list it as 3 bikes, 150 pounds maximum on their site now. There's obviously plenty of people who run them with 4 bikes.

I just want my single tray rack to get here. The waiting is killing me lol.
    I did a 2500 mile roundtrip this summer with 4 mountain bikes all at around 30 lbs on a 2" hitch with this rack. Worked fine.

Anyhow, I was curious so I called them up. Phone rang twice, talked to Cal, he said that the issue is the receiver not the rack. For a 1.25" receiver, it's 3 bikes and 150 lbs and for the 2" receiver it's 4 bikes or 200 lbs.

J.

mtbr member
    I did a 2500 mile roundtrip this summer with 4 mountain bikes all at around 30 lbs on a 2" hitch with this rack. Worked fine.

Anyhow, I was curious so I called them up. Phone rang twice, talked to Cal, he said that the issue is the receiver not the rack. For a 1.25" receiver, it's 3 bikes and 150 lbs and for the 2" receiver it's 4 bikes or 200 lbs.

J.
    Good to know. It's curious why you can't find this info on the website anymore. I swear I remember seeing this same information somewhere on the site before. Guess that will put some people's minds at ease again.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good to know. It's curious why you can't find this info on the website anymore. I swear I remember seeing this same information somewhere on the site before. Guess that will put some people's minds at ease again.
    The site used to say 4 bikes on a 2" hitch but now it's gone.

mtbr member
    Phone rang twice, talked to Cal, he said that the issue is the receiver not the rack. For a 1.25" receiver, it's 3 bikes and 150 lbs and for the 2" receiver it's 4 bikes or 200 lbs.
    That's what it said before, and that does make sense. My guess is that they want to stress the point that 1-1/4" are not really suitable for a full load. Some of those hitches have some very iffy mounts.

In any case - if I buy more trays (and where the heck is the promised roof compatible ones) - I will load the lightest bike on the last one. They are all in 20 to 35lb range anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    However, the new disclaimer relieves 1up of any liability if the rack fails in the 4 bike configuration and hurts someone on the road. Now you will be SOL and could possibly liable for damages and face legal action. Insurance company, "well you had 4 bikes on the rack when the manufacturer clearly states it's only good for 3, claim denied!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    However, the new disclaimer relieves 1up of any liability if the rack fails in the 4 bike configuration and hurts someone on the road. Now you will be SOL and could possibly liable for damages and face legal action. Insurance company, "well you had 4 bikes on the rack when the manufacturer clearly states it's only good for 3, claim denied!"
    Why does their disclaimer make you SOL? If they decide not to trust a component that they have no control over (the hitch) and you decide to put 4 bikes on anyway, isn't the responsibility ultimately yours, the driver and owner? Even if you only had a single bike you'd would be responsible if it fell off and injured someone. I'm not paranoid but I am responsible so I always secure my bike to the rack with a small diameter cable on long trips. That way if the rack fails, I'll drag my bike rather than hurting someone else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad
    Why does their disclaimer make you SOL? If they decide not to trust a component that they have no control over (the hitch) and you decide to put 4 bikes on anyway, isn't the responsibility ultimately yours, the driver and owner? Even if you only had a single bike you'd would be responsible if it fell off and injured someone. I'm not paranoid but I am responsible so I always secure my bike to the rack with a small diameter cable on long trips. That way if the rack fails, I'll drag my bike rather than hurting someone else.
    I'm just playing devils advocate. I'm not a lawyer and I know very little about product liability, as is likely evident in my paranoid ranting.

However, when I purchased my rack for a 4 bike setup it was sold by the manufacturer, 1up, as being capable of handling 4 bikes on a 2" receiver. The manufacturer now officially changed the loading capabilities of the rack to 3 bikes, (independent of hitch class), after the sale. Technically now when I carry 4 bikes on my rack, class II hitch, I'm exceeding the manufacturers load recommendation thereby making my action negligent.

Should I only use this rack in a 3 bike configuration from now on? Do I need to purchase a different rack to carry 4 bikes on my class II hitch?

If there are any legal types out there, who would be liable if the "rack" set up in a 4 bike configuration fails and causes grievous bodily harm?

As for your statement using a cable to "drag" the bikes in the event of a failure... Do you snake the cable through every tray and secure it to the hitch or are you assuming failure will occur at a specific location? I can envision a few different failure mechanisms that would render a cable useless.

edit:

A little searching shows that they used to advertise the rack as being capable of carrying 5 bikes...

http://web.archive.org/web/200806271...sarackhome.htm
    Last edited by edthesped; 09-16-2010 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The cable goes through the main triangle and the main frame of the rack so if either tray/wheel union fails, I should be good to go. I only carry one bike because I don't have any friends It is possible the the main receiver hitch and/or the main load bearing portion of the rack would fail. Oh well. I don't worry about all possibilities. Just the most probable ones.

I understand your point completely, however. If I were you, I would contact 1up and find out what they have to say. Maybe even go to www.archive.org and save a copy of a cached page that shows they claim the rack is good for 4 bikes with an 1 1/4" receiver. It does suck that they went and changed their position. If I found myself carrying 4 bikes regularly, I would upgrade to a 2" hitch and configure my rack accordingly. In my situation, I would have to have one custom made, which I would do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The cable goes through the main triangle and the main frame of the rack so if either tray/wheel union fails, I should be good to go. I only carry one bike because I don't have any friends It is possible the the main receiver hitch and/or the main load bearing portion of the rack would fail. Oh well. I don't worry about all possibilities. Just the most probable ones.

I understand your point completely, however. If I were you, I would contact 1up and find out what they have to say. Maybe even go to www.archive.org and save a copy of a cached page that shows they claim the rack is good for 4 bikes with an 1 1/4" receiver. It does suck that they went and changed their position. If I found myself carrying 4 bikes regularly, I would upgrade to a 2" hitch and configure my rack accordingly. In my situation, I would have to have one custom made, which I would do.
    I gave up my friends when I had kids which is why I need 4 trays otherwise they could find their own way to carry their bikes.

For the record, 1up always advertised 3 bikes on a 1 1/4" hitch. They used to advertise, 3 on a class I (1 1/4") and 4 on a class II or III (2") now they just went to a general 3 bikes on any hitch.

I was told that it is a "burden of proof" issue. If it can be shown that they advertised the rack as being capable of carrying 4 bikes at the time of purchase they are liable. Does anyone have anything showing the rack as being capable of carrying 4 bikes on a 2" receiver?

mtbr member
    I was told that it is a "burden of proof" issue. If it can be shown that they advertised the rack as being capable of carrying 4 bikes at the time of purchase they are liable. Does anyone have anything showing the rack as being capable of carrying 4 bikes on a 2" receiver?
    That's what I was afraid of. =/
    LMB

mtbr member
    I do not think they ever advertized 4 bikes for 1-1/4" hitch. No manufacturer - including Thule and Kuat, who actually have lower weight limits - do that. It is mostly a problem with a hitch.

My guess is that the rack is compatible with 1-1/4" they state a limit for 1-1/4". Otherwise somebody who bought it for 2" will later put it into 1-1/4" and damage the hitch or the vehicle.

Just like Honda insists on adding transmission cooling when installing a hitch, even if you do not plan to tow anything. Had to bolt one on myself - dealer refused, unless I buy $600 in extra parts.

I certainly would have no reservations running 4, as was in the accompanying documentation, in a 2" hitch - with all my bike much lower then 50lb limit. I do not think that changing a disclaimer a posteriori relieves anybody from any responsibility.

A little searching shows that they used to advertise the rack as being capable of carrying 5 bikes...

http://web.archive.org/web/200806271...sarackhome.htm
    That is a very different design there.
    Last edited by Broccoli; 09-16-2010 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I don't know why you're quoting me here but I never said anything like this.

Edit: It appears that edthesped posted this in post #222

mtbr member
    I don't know why you're quoting me here but I never said anything like this.

Edit: It appears that edthesped posted this in post #222
    Yeah.

In any case - it is apparent that 1Up's web presentation and editing skills are not their strong suit.

mtbr member
    Yeah.

In any case - it is apparent that 1Up's web presentation and editing skills are not their strong suit.
    As long as the rack is good I'm willing to overlook the crappy website. Just called them today and mine will be shipping out tomorrow or Monday. I should have it by end of next week hopefully.
    LMB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just got my 1up usa rack and this thing is business. It took 2 weeks from date of order to delivery. I've been using a yakima holdup for a few weeks and it will be going back to REI. The 1up is lighter, much easier to install and feels more secure since it holds both wheels. The rack is definietly well thought out and well engineered, much more so than any of the big brands. The rack also has ZERO wobble, my holdup wobbles all over the place, even with anti rattle pin. I think some of the other brand racks my look "cooler" (KUAT). The 1up definitely has a parts bin look to it, but it's definitely a quality piece. I'm a little suspect of there being no hitch pin, but it makes installation easier and if it works, than im cool with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah.

They don't appear to be yours, either

Anyhow, @blantonator-the lack of a hitch pin shouldn't concern you too much. I have put thousands of miles on my rack/bike combo (albeit in a single bike form so not too much weight) and I haven't had any issues. Their securing mechanism never has loosened nor has it corroded or seized up (that was a concern of mine up in WA). I do agree with what you're saying about the looks. I don't know about "parts bin" since each component (apart from the fasteners, which are a little hokey) is individually machined. I think that it does look better in real life but that's just my opinion.

The one thing that I've found that makes it the "most" secure is to make sure that the angle the arm makes with the horizontal is equal between each side. All things being equal, the closer to vertical the arm is, the more securely it tends to hold the wheel. I've found that when one arm is at a dramatically different angle from the other, that respective wheel has less tension holding it in. I geeked out and used a dial-style angle finder to get the right angles. I also noted on the linkage where the "magic" angle was on one arm and then your bike will make the other arm line up. This method changes for different wheelbases and wheel sizes, duh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I do not think they ever advertized 4 bikes for 1-1/4" hitch. No manufacturer - including Thule and Kuat, who actually have lower weight limits - do that. It is mostly a problem with a hitch.

My guess is that the rack is compatible with 1-1/4" they state a limit for 1-1/4". Otherwise somebody who bought it for 2" will later put it into 1-1/4" and damage the hitch or the vehicle.

Just like Honda insists on adding transmission cooling when installing a hitch, even if you do not plan to tow anything. Had to bolt one on myself - dealer refused, unless I buy $600 in extra parts.

I certainly would have no reservations running 4, as was in the accompanying documentation, in a 2" hitch - with all my bike much lower then 50lb limit. I do not think that changing a disclaimer a posteriori relieves anybody from any responsibility.

That was me that posted the link, sorry for the confusion. Changing the specs does not relieve them of responsibility, if it can be shown that the sold it as 4 bike compatible. I'm pretty sure that all is OK but it is a little discomforting that the capacity was reduced. All I really want now is some sort of documentation showing that the rack was rated 4 bikes on a 2" hitch when I purchased it.

In my case I have a van with a 2" class II receiver so I couldn't attach it to a 1 1/4" receiver if I had to.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i should add that my only complaint is that with the tensioner ball inserted 2", the maximum I can insert before hitting my bumper, I can't fold the rack in the upright position. I can however put it at 45*, which is fairly flush to the bumper. This is combination of the hitch being recessed behind my bumper a few inches and the male end of the rack being kind of short. In any case it's a sweet rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's pretty simple. Their website editing is confusing - nothing more. The rack is spec'ed for 3 bikes on 1-1/4" and 4 bikes on 2". The issue is the capacity (tongue weight) rating of the respective hitches. Nothing more. Not worth over thinking it.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    i should add that my only complaint is that with the tensioner ball inserted 2", the maximum I can insert before hitting my bumper, I can't fold the rack in the upright position. I can however put it at 45*, which is fairly flush to the bumper. This is combination of the hitch being recessed behind my bumper a few inches and the male end of the rack being kind of short. In any case it's a sweet rack.
    Bla, what kind of car do you have? How far is it from the edge of your bumper to the end of your hitch? Can you post a pic? I was just looking at my Charger yesterday and I'm afraid I could end up in the same boat. I don't think the hitch comes completely out to the edge of the bumper. I suppose it's no big deal if it's the case though since it goes on and off so easily. I'm assuming you don't have any issues with pedals contacting your car? Thanks.
    LMB

mtbr member
    In my case I have a van with a 2" class II receiver so I couldn't attach it to a 1 1/4" receiver if I had to.
    True - all I was saying is that it could be the exact same lane of reasoning that Honda gives when insisting on installing a transmission and steering cooler when installing a hitch at a dealer. They say that even if you do not use hitch for towing 3000lb boats, somebody who buys your car from you may - and they will damage transmission and make Honda liable. 1Up is 1-1/4 compatible - understandable for them to have some CYA language in case you decide to sell your rack.

mtbr member
    They don't appear to be yours, either
    I would bet that you are worse expressing yourself in my native language.

mtbr member
    Looks like the design has changed since then. No more 2" receiver to mount the next rack to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would bet that you are worse expressing yourself in my native language.
    Meh, you are right. But we aren't communicating in yours so...

Back to the racks.

And much respect to non-native English speakers. Both of my parents learned later on in life.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bla, what kind of car do you have? How far is it from the edge of your bumper to the end of your hitch? Can you post a pic? I was just looking at my Charger yesterday and I'm afraid I could end up in the same boat. I don't think the hitch comes completely out to the edge of the bumper. I suppose it's no big deal if it's the case though since it goes on and off so easily. I'm assuming you don't have any issues with pedals contacting your car? Thanks.
    I have a 2004 330i with ZHP package (has different bumpers). Here are some pics. As you can see the ball is inserted around 2", which should be fine. I put a lock on there when i leave it on for a while, though I probably don't need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ..... 1Up is 1-1/4 compatible - understandable for them to have some CYA language in case you decide to sell your rack.

Another place those of us who purchased a 4 bike setup are screwed....

I have a 4 bike setup now should I decide to sell my rack to someone with a class II or III receiver and they look at 1up's website they will think I'm BS'ing them when I say they can use it in a 4 bike setup as 1up's site now says 3 bikes regardless of receiver.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine
    Maybe you should call during their business hours. I have called a few times and they have answered quickly and provided detailed and helpful answers. It sounds like Mike were there when you called during business hours. Perhaps they didn't realize that you would be waiting for the weekend to call them.

I ordered on-line during the holiday weekend. I didn't expect more than the automated response that I got. When I checked on shipment date the next week, they were right on top of it. They shipped sooner than scheduled.

This met my expectations for a small company. I was not upset that I wasn't redirected to a call center in India. I guess my expectations are lower than yours, but I don't seem to get quite as wound up about either.

Just relax. Everything will work out.
    For the record, I'm not wound up about the fact that they didnt call back - I just wanted to illustrate my experience to the thread, which is why I used the phrase 'slightly annoyed'. I'm more sensitive to this type of thing since I run a customer support group. I certainly don't expect super fast turnaround times from this sort of operation, and I am not really in a rush to get the rack.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to sell my old rack on craigslist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My 4 bike setup...

But first, does anyone know what a "New Age Beverage" is?

mtbr member
    Another place those of us who purchased a 4 bike setup are screwed....

I have a 4 bike setup now should I decide to sell my rack to someone with a class II or III receiver and they look at 1up's website they will think I'm BS'ing them when I say they can use it in a 4 bike setup as 1up's site now says 3 bikes regardless of receiver.
    I guess somebody should write to them and bug them to clear up the language. Some of the web site edits they make look quite ad-hoc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I guess somebody should write to them and bug them to clear up the language. Some of the web site edits they make look quite ad-hoc.
    That's what I'm thinking. BTW, I have a class III not II. A class II hitch is a 1 1/4" receiver. Class III's have a 2" receiver. In any event the difference in rack flex between 3 and 4 bikes is substantial when compared to any setup between 1 and 3. I still sweat the 4 bike setup but I hit some massive road dips and potholes at speed and the rack was rocking and rolling but nothing gave out.

mtbr member
    That's what I'm thinking. BTW, I have a class III not II. A class II hitch is a 1 1/4" receiver. Class III's have a 2" receiver. In any event the difference in rack flex between 3 and 4 bikes is substantial when compared to any setup between 1 and 3. I still sweat the 4 bike setup but I hit some massive road dips and potholes at speed and the rack was rocking and rolling but nothing gave out.
    And it would not - judging by my (semi-professional) examination of the construction. The thing that will likely give is the hitch attachement. On our Odysseys it is plenty bloody strong - some of the U-haul jobs on smaller sedans are often iffy. You are right about class III.

That said - I still inspect the rack for cracks every time I take it off. But then I do that to all the things I own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree with Curmy's assessment. With 4 bikes that's a fair bit of leverage, but construction-wise they are certainly a step above most other's steel stampings. The pic with all 4 trays folded up is hilarious. It almost looks like some sort of DOT road work truck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The thing is the add on trays come off so quickly that it's almost as easy to just take them apart.

J.

mtbr member
    Mine just shipped today, 1 day before the 2 weeks quoted. Hopefully it will be here this week and I can ditch the trunk rack.

Thanks for the photos Blantonator. From looking at your pics, I might be in the same boat you are, but it actually doesn't look bad in the 45 degree position on your ride. It's still pretty low profile and hugs the bumper nicely. I might get lucky since I think my bumper is a little more vertical than yours and doesn't come out as much from the vehicle. It looks like I'm about the same distance though between hitch and bumper. We will see soon. If anything since it's so easy to remove and store, it won't be an issue. I'll just throw it in the trunk.

What kind of lock is that? Looks beefy. Think it will stand up to bolt cutters any better than a normal cable lock?
    LMB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All locks do is to give a thief an obstacle. If you are using two locking methods, that means two sets of tools. This does that - the locking provisions inherent in the rack and the cable.

J.

Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast