Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    No, I wasn't advised and there wasn't a disclaimer on the web page saying they were out of stock. I actually went to the web page to look at something else and saw the disclaimer. That was a bummer.

Yeah, when I get some time I'll try and call...searching for some tires too...
    I kept inquiring about roof compatible trays, and guy was quite responsive on the e-mail - but could not help, as they are apparently out of capacity to produce enough. My initial order for the first tray was shipped promptly. Would not knock on their customer service - they are just not very big.

Call them and check. Maybe it is on its way - they do not have a fancy tracking system.

Aug 9 is not that far down the line. My guess it would be worth the wait, but yeah, I completely understand your frustration. I am just as frustrated waiting for the second tray now.

Yeah, there are other racks, but now I would not want another.

Enjoyin' life....
    August 9th is right at 3 weeks from the time I ordered. All they had to do was say they were backed up on the 21st (a day later) and thats good customer service. Being smaller, they should be able to handle fundamental, personal tasks like that. But to charge someone's card and not even have product for 3 weeks and not tell them - thats not very good service. Not to me at least. I did try calling and got a nice customer service machine so I left a message. If I don't hear anything by days end, I'm afraid the love affair with 1Up is over for moi. I'll gladly take a product thats 90-95% of theirs for 100% decent service.

And like you say, maybe my order snuck in under the out of stock condition so maybe its being packaged and will be shipped. If they call back or email me to tell that, it would be a nice gesture on their part.
    Wally

mtbr member
    I'll gladly take a product thats 90-95% of theirs for 100% decent service.
    I have not found a product that is even half as useful for me, but I guess you mileage may vary. I will keep waiting for roof compatible rack availability.

Did you ever order custom bike frames?

Enjoyin' life....
    Yeah, I've custom ordered lots of items in my life time (frames, rifles, audio gear, motorcycle engines, furniture) and the good guys communicate. Are they all good guys? No. But they don't get any more of my business if they aren't. And I try hard to do business with good guys, hence me ordering from 1Up after the reviews here. Besides, a 1Up Quik Rack isn't custom, its off the shelf.

Key to customer service is communicating. People want to know whats happening.

As far as product, I've carried bikes with my current rack and its always worked. I was looking for something different when I went looking and found 1Up. I'm only carrying 3 bicycles on the back of my car and there are lots of products that will allow me to do that. I have no idea how you carried bikes previously but in my mind the improvement offered by the 1Up is maybe 20-25% better - about the same to me for any style rack. I mean, not having a 1Up Quik-Rack isn't going to keep me awake nights. Its only a bike rack.
    Wally

mtbr member
    . I have no idea how you carried bikes previously but in my mind the improvement offered by the 1Up is maybe 20-25% better - about the same to me for any style rack. I mean, not having a 1Up Quik-Rack isn't going to keep me awake nights. Its only a bike rack.
    Other racks carry bikes just fine - it is removing and storing the rack when you do not need it what is important to me. Thule and Yakima and Kuat are way too heavy and big and pain in the ass to install.

Yes, it is only a bike rack. Not sure why your expectations are so high as far as communication. To me it would be only a mild annoyance. Good luck with other vendors.

Enjoyin' life....
    Well, Its 6 pm here in the midwest and I have requested a refund due to their extremely poor customer service stemming from their lack of attention in answering their phone or emails. I gave them 2 days to refund the $697 or I will file a dispute.

Harsh, eh? You bet. I have a zero tolerance level and while some people say no communication with a vendor supplier is a mild annoyance, thats cool. People like that have to be out there so places like 1Up can exist. I like up front, accessible people in my business dealings. I think 2 days is plenty for a refund, they took much less in charging me for something they couldn't deliver.

Personally, I leave my rack on during my riding season...its there all the time. I just lower it and the tail gate to load things. No big deal. So removal and installation is no big deal. I'd see no difference if it was a Kuat...Raxter yes, since they don't tilt.

Looks like a Kuat NV is in my future. Y'all enjoy those racks you have. Nice stuff indeed but not for me.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Well, Its 6 pm here in the midwest and I have requested a refund due to their extremely poor customer service stemming from their lack of attention in answering their phone or emails. I gave them 2 days to refund the $697 or I will file a dispute.

Harsh, eh? You bet. I have a zero tolerance level and while some people say no communication with a vendor supplier is a mild annoyance, thats cool. People like that have to be out there so places like 1Up can exist. I like up front, accessible people in my business dealings. I think 2 days is plenty for a refund, they took much less in charging me for something they couldn't deliver.
    "Extremely poor customer service" is straight up bullcrap. It is just you being overly demanding to a small vendor who could not keep up with production for a change. Hardly a reason for a hissy fit in my books.

Good luck - and your loss.

Enjoyin' life....
    Bullcrap. Right. They never communicated one word to me after charging me and for your info, no one should charge until they ship - period. Then they never said they were out of stock - they should have communicated that.

In your mind, I should just wait a month and if I hear nothing thats okay? They're small so they should be excused for simple courtesy and manners. BS dude. If you like to operate that way, you are in luck cause there are tons of places eager for your business.

I don't see me being overly demanding in any way. They have $700 of my cash - and never said anything to me in over a week. Don't you think that if they could update their site to say the product is out of stock, they could have sent me an email? Made a call? I mean making a call takes about the same amount of time as it does to load a bike into their rack. Thats overly demanding? asking that they do that?

I'm starting to think you must be 1Up or a shill for them.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Look at the Kuat NV and Sherpa as well. I'm sure you will run across the T2 and the Yak Holdup. I have owned the NV, T2, and the Saris Cycle On Pro. Kuat is small but CS is excellent. You can get 10%-15% off pretty easily...maybe even 20% off.

Enjoyin' life....
    Update!
    I did hear from 1Up about 10 minutes ago. He said he was sorry for the poor service and issued my refund. Says my rack would have shipped tomorrow...yeah, tell me that in an email where he issues the refund. Instead of just calling and telling me before hand. Whether I believe the guy or not, I'd still rather do business with someone else.

I think the rack is one of the best out there. Its just too bad the place is so poorly run. Anyway, we move on.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was going to suggest that you exercise their return policy since you seemed to be so bummed, but it looks like you got it worked out. Sometimes you take a risk when you work with a small manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    To mount an extra tray, there are two coarse thread theft proof bolts you turn. You can turn them 1/2-3/4 turn at a time. Because they are coarse thread, you only have to make a couple of turns. Adding an extra tray, literally, can be done in well less than a minute.

J.
    Do you tighten the nuts on the backside of the bolts as well or leave those loose? The instructions only mention tightening the theft proof bolts and makes no mention of the nuts. I see the nuts serving two different possible purposes, either keeping the bolts from being totally removed, or to lock the threads so the bolt doesn't back out. I've been tightening the nuts and the bolts but tightening the nut on left side of the tray shown in the picture below is a real PITA because the side of the tray interferes with the wrench.

Just to make sure everyone is clear, I'm referring to the nuts on the back side of these bolts...

OCHO, Sorry to hear about your trouble with 1UP but unfortunately issues like this can happen. Many things along the supply chain can affect 1UP's ability to maintain stock so even though they may have the capacity to do the work material availability may be an issue. I called after I received my rack with questions and got a live person right away and all of my questions were quickly addressed so I guess individual experiences my vary.

At a time when many U.S. manufactures have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel I'll try to support them as much as possible even if I have to pay a premium to do so. With regard to 1UP I'm very happy I did.

Enjoyin' life....
    People, my issue wasn't with stock availability. It wasn't in the wait or delay. I told Cal I was fine with that. My issue is in no communication. No returned calls, no returned emails, nothing. The guy NEVER got back to me except when I told him I was going to dispute the charges on my card. Magically, he emailed me and processed a refund.

I work with small companies all the time, I have worked in several startups and I truly believe in supporting US manufacturers and small shops. I have a set of wheels being built now that I really don't need just to support a good guy, small shop in the upper midwest. He had a serious issue in his shop halting production but found time to tell me my wheels will be delayed slightly, was that okay. I've had parts built by other small manufacturers, frames, you name it and most communicate. 1Up decided to work differently. The guy might be a great engineer but he sucks in the business world. He deserves to go under if he can't handle it.

Yeah, I heard all about the great customer service why do you think I forked over $700? For whatever reason, there was a lapse and I'm just not a tolerant type when it comes to people acting ignorant like that. You want my business, then act like it. I don't feel like I lost a thing either, its a bike rack...I have another on order already and will be just as happy. I'm 1.5 hrs from 1Up, maybe I'll take a ride up there on a bike and see what goes on, maybe not - I really don't care.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The Kaut rack would have been my second choice but they didn't have a 4 bike option when I ordered my rack. What did you end up going with anyway?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    People, my issue wasn't with stock availability. It wasn't in the wait or delay. I told Cal I was fine with that. My issue is in no communication. No returned calls, no returned emails, nothing. The guy NEVER got back to me except when I told him I was going to dispute the charges on my card. Magically, he emailed me and processed a refund.

I work with small companies all the time, I have worked in several startups and I truly believe in supporting US manufacturers and small shops. I have a set of wheels being built now that I really don't need just to support a good guy, small shop in the upper midwest. He had a serious issue in his shop halting production but found time to tell me my wheels will be delayed slightly, was that okay. I've had parts built by other small manufacturers, frames, you name it and most communicate. 1Up decided to work differently. The guy might be a great engineer but he sucks in the business world. He deserves to go under if he can't handle it.

Yeah, I heard all about the great customer service why do you think I forked over $700? For whatever reason, there was a lapse and I'm just not a tolerant type when it comes to people acting ignorant like that. You want my business, then act like it. I don't feel like I lost a thing either, its a bike rack...I have another on order already and will be just as happy. I'm 1.5 hrs from 1Up, maybe I'll take a ride up there on a bike and see what goes on, maybe not - I really don't care.
    I'd say that's pretty harsh and my experience is completely 180 degrees from yours. I base that on a lot of interactions with them both pre and post sales. So, I'd agree with your characterization about not being tolerant. Too bad we probably won't get the other side of this one either.

If you don't care, why would you ride over there to see?

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    JohnJ80,

Do you tighten the nuts on the backside of the bolts? If so how do you deal with the tight access on the left side of the rack?

Enjoyin' life....

If you don't care, why would you ride over there to see?

J.
    Because the town, Plattville WI, is right in the area where we do a fair amount of motorcycle riding and bicycling...its sort of on the circuit so its not a big deal. The area is pretty rural, quiet.

The other side, if you can call it that, is his reference to being busy, so busy he "spends every waking hour" working on racks. Thats what he said. I just question how if he found time to answer my email and refund my money, he couldn't have put that same time to possibly better use by emailing me or calling me to give me a status. Thats all I asked for.

FYI, for people looking at something else...Kuat sent me back a note to reflect that their NV with the new 2 bike add-on is 80 lbs.!!! Crap, thats a lot of weight. I won't be going with an NV. I need a 3 bike rack and most everyone sells either 2 or 4 bike racks. Tough to find a 3 tray....so anyway thanks to you all for the reviews and information. Ride and smile people, see you around.
    Wally

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't disagree with your premise that the vendor should have communicated better. I'll also say that my rack took 10 days from day of order until it arrived at my door, which I thought -- in 2010 at least -- was several days too many.

That said, the 1up is by far the best rack I've ever used and I'm glad I waited for it.

And, pardon me for saying so, if your telephonic/e-mail communication skills are similar to your posts on this thread, you probably came off like an arse. In my experience, no one will go out of their way to help someone who acts like that. But I could be totally offbase.

Good luck with whatever other rack you choose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ocho,

I have the same issue as you. I ordered on 7/15/2010 and my credit card was charged immediately. I called last week to get a tracking number and was told that my product had not shipped due to a supplier issue but that the issue would be resolved and my unit shipped by this week (7/26). Then I noticed that they updated their site with the out of stock notice. I agree with you 100% that they should not charge until the product is shipped and they should notify pending orders of any delays. They were, however, very nice on the phone and since I do not intend to use the rack until 8/20 I will give them a few more days to ship my order. I will cancel my order if they do not ship it out soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped
    JohnJ80,

Do you tighten the nuts on the backside of the bolts? If so how do you deal with the tight access on the left side of the rack?
    No.

What do you mean, "tight access on the left side of the rack"? You get a full half turn on the bolts and it only takes a few turns to tighten them down. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    JohnJ80,

My understanding is no, you do not need to tighten the nuts. I think they are there to prevent you from fully removing and losing the special bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No.

What do you mean, "tight access on the left side of the rack"? You get a full half turn on the bolts and it only takes a few turns to tighten them down. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.

J.
    OK this isn't even close to scale but it may help illustrate what I'm trying to ask. When I assemble two trays I tighten the security bolt (socket head cap screw) with an allen wrench, this part is quick and easy, on the back side there is a nylock nut as well and it is a real pita to tighten with a wrench and a socket will not fit on the nut due to interference issues with the tray. Do you tighten the nylock nut too or just leave it loose? The instructions only show the bolt getting screwed down with the allen wrench and makes no mention of the nylock nut on the back side. I hope this kind of clarifies my question.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK this isn't even close to scale but it may help illustrate what I'm trying to ask. When I assemble two trays I tighten the security bolt (socket head cap screw) with an allen wrench, this part is quick and easy, on the back side there is a nylock nut as well and it is a real pita to tighten with a wrench and a socket will not fit on the nut due to interference issues with the tray. Do you tighten the nylock nut too or just leave it loose? The instructions only show the bolt getting screwed down with the allen wrench and makes no mention of the nylock nut on the back side. I hope this kind of clarifies my question.

Thanks

I don't touch the nylock nut...I think it just prevents the bolt from coming off. Adding/removing trays takes me no more than 20 seconds. Just tighten/loosen the 2 bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This is a little more accurate of a view. I prefer to tighten the nut down to eliminate the possibility of the bolt coming loose but then again nylock nuts aren't made to be tightened and loosened all of the time either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    I don't touch the nylock nut...I think it just prevents the bolt from coming off. Adding/removing trays takes me no more than 20 seconds. Just tighten/loosen the 2 bolts.
    Thanks, I think I have to shake my design for steel mill use mentality and enjoy the rack.

Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast