Page 48 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2306
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by slow450 View Post
    My rack is on order so I have not seen the unit in the "metal". But, what would be wrong with drilling a hole and using a standard hitch pin lock?

Slow
    Like others have said, DON'T drill through it. A short cable lock can secure the rack to the hitch of the car if need be. Personally, I'll take mine off the car and fold it up in the trunk when I am out for a long ride. So far I have had no issues with someone trying to steal my rack. YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just sold my Yakima StickUp tonight and ordered me a 1Up 1 bike rack. I almost bought the 1Up previously but went with the much cheaper StickUp instead.
    The Yakima works fine as a rack but I just got tired of not being able to open the rear hatch when the rack is folded it up.
    Super excited to get the 1Up. Will probably order the add-on in a couple of months after my wallet recovers a bit.
    Those of you that ordered recently, how soon after ordering did they ship?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Just sold my Yakima StickUp tonight and ordered me a 1Up 1 bike rack. I almost bought the 1Up previously but went with the much cheaper StickUp instead.
    The Yakima works fine as a rack but I just got tired of not being able to open the rear hatch when the rack is folded it up.
    Super excited to get the 1Up. Will probably order the add-on in a couple of months after my wallet recovers a bit.
    Those of you that ordered recently, how soon after ordering did they ship?
    Mine shipped the day after placing the order and it arrived at my house a week after the order was placed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Good job!

Just thought I'd drop by and give an update on my personal experiences with my 1upUSA.com 2" Bike Rack (with one extension module).

Bottom Line: Just buy this rack... It has no weaknesses. Pay the money, get a top quality, USA-crafted, bike rack you'll only have to buy once.

I'll be adding the 4th and final module to my rack for my birthday. And while we were planning to construct a special 2" receiver kit for my wife's Saturn ION, so she could share the rack, plans have changed. We're STILL going to build the special receiver, but we are going to buy a second 2" HD rack system for the car. We like them THAT much! My wife loves the racks ease of function and loading/unloading, and can do it all without any trouble whatsoever.... but she's awesome like that. YMMV

I've now had my rack for 10 months and two days, and have been using it on a daily basis. I cleared a place in the garage to store it, but that place is still empty. My rack never leaves my truck's receiver.

Yesterday, I folded it up to check the tension bolt, just because I had never checked it from the day of installation (you SHOULD check it sooner; I think they actually have a recommendation of when to do this). I had noticed lately that there was a barely perceptible lateral rotational movement... Hit the tension bolt with less than 1/4 turn and it's tight... like it is welded there.

Now... the rack has been through NW Louisiana's two seasons.... a pretty decently cool and wet Winter (two freezes) and all the way to the other end of the spectrum to a wet and dry, sun scalding summer of multiple 100+ days in the direct sun, etc, etc... So, a couple of squeaks had crept in here and there. Yesterday, I took out my pen oiler filled with HILCO Lube (best GP lube on the planet BTW) and just put a drop or two at every friction contact point. 2 minutes later... no noise and smooth as butter.

I couldn't be happier with this product. It delivers on every expectation I have in a bike rack! Just buy it...

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpretty View Post
    mine shipped the day after placing the order and it arrived at my house a week after the order was placed.
    x2.

mtbr member
    My 1UP(+1) is officially up and running!
    This really is the best d@mn rack out there IMO.

The only few drawbacks are due to my vehicle ('94 4Runner) having a fairly compact bumper/gate
    configuration...the only way to drop gate fully - even with empty rack, is to tilt it down. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but I wish I could re-drill/machine the side plates to drop the rack about 2". That would still give me plenty of clearance when level. But I think I'd rather just get a newer, nicer vehicle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    It does have a bit of an "erector set" look to it at a distance, but anyone who thinks this is a homemade rack after seeing it up close either has access to some nice machinery in their garage or has no experience in manufacturing.
    i agree, the rack reminds me of the old people that attach their motorized scooters to

i am undecided between the 2 bike 1up or Kuat NV - same price basically. but the Kuat has built-in locks and repair stand which is nice

2012 Trek Fuel EX8 - Matte Black

beater
    It carries big bikes just fine, too.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1uprack.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK, I've narrowed my choices down to two racks like many others, the 1up heavy duty 2 bike rack and the Kuat NV2. While I know both are good racks I'm leaning towards the 1up because of a few important things. I'll be storing the rack in my apartment, or in the back of my Santa Fe so it needs to be small as possible. The site says the 1up folds to 38x14x10 does it really fold that small? What are people using to secure the rack to the car and the bikes to the rack? Another thing I like about the 1up is its the only one that's says its great for off road use. So from that statement I guessing I don't have to worry about shaking on city streets and highways? The NV2 has so many more features and security built in but if I can figure work around for the 1up I'll order it tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I have the Kuat NV2 with the NV2 add on and I also have the 1up single rack. I like both racks but I use the 1up rack about 90 percent of the time. The 1up rack is very easy to put on and take off the vehicle and even easier to put the bikes on.
    I purchased the Kuat rack and had it for about a year and figured out that only carried one bike most of the time so I purchased the single 1up.
    If I had to do it all over again I think I would just get the single 1up rack and get the extra add on racks. I'm saving to get one add on for the 1up and than I will use the Kuat when I carry 3 or 4 bikes.
    The 1up rack takes up a lot less space to store.
    They are both great racks I just prefer the 1up over the Kuat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    I have the Kuat NV2 with the NV2 add on and I also have the 1up single rack. I like both racks but I use the 1up rack about 90 percent of the time. The 1up rack is very easy to put on and take off the vehicle and even easier to put the bikes on.
    I purchased the Kuat rack and had it for about a year and figured out that only carried one bike most of the time so I purchased the single 1up.
    If I had to do it all over again I think I would just get the single 1up rack and get the extra add on racks. I'm saving to get one add on for the 1up and than I will use the Kuat when I carry 3 or 4 bikes.
    The 1up rack takes up a lot less space to store.
    They are both great racks I just prefer the 1up over the Kuat.
    Thanks for the reply. Are you using any extra locks for the 1up? That's one of the features I like about the NV2, the built-in security. How does the 1up take bumps on the road? Is the NV2 actually 66 inches in length?

mtbr member
    I do carry a cable lock but I really don't like to leave my bikes on any rack unattended even locked. It's just too easy for someone to cut any type of cable or lock.
    A friend of mine has my NV2 right now so I can't measure it but 66 inches sounds about right.
    I drive "a lot" of rough dirt roads and that was a big concern of mine, the 1up rack has been fine. Just make sure that you tighten it down good and I always check it once in a while to make sure it's tight.

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob9ers View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Are you using any extra locks for the 1up? That's one of the features I like about the NV2, the built-in security. How does the 1up take bumps on the road? Is the NV2 actually 66 inches in length?

Generally speaking the "built in security" that comes with bike racks is really not all that secure. With my 1 UP rack I bought a long cable that I run though the bike and wheels then through itself so I only need to lock up one end of the cable. I lock the cable end to a U lock which also locks the bike rack to the hitch. Basically put the U lock through a tab on the hitch and it will go far enough to lock the 1 Up to the hitch and give plenty of room to add a cable when you close it. I bought the Kryptonite Mini for the U lock and a 7" cable. So far I have only tested it for fit and plan to use it for a trip but around town I don't use a lock as I don't leave my bike on the rack anywhere.
    Edit: don't forget to lock the bike rack to the hitch if you come up with a different solution

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    btt

mtbr member
    Security is always an issue when it comes to a high dollar bike and I don't believe any system is perfect. Personally, I just never leave my bike on the rack without me nearby. Sure, I have a cable to lock but cables are an easy cut for someone looking to steal instead of work. I can even put my bike, front tire removed, inside my Honda CRV. Is this going to stop a would be thief? Nope, they would just break into the car and take what they want. Still love my 1UPUSA rack, convinced my son to buy one for his new bike and jeep, just hope he has the sense to not trust it. I just messaged him in regards. I have seen different ideas on locking bikes but I do not think any of them will stop a would be criminal.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Black 1up ordered, now to wait....

What are you guys using for reflectors? I saw a few pics in this thread where folks had added some sort of reflective tape or something like that...
    Last edited by rob1035; 08-28-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Professional Amateur
    I bought the single rack with an addon because I wanted the option of just running one rack. I was concerned with the stability of the smaller post with adapter in my 2" hitch but my desire to have the option of running only one rack trumped ordering the 2" 2 bike rack. This past weekend I drove on some pretty rough roads, not 4WD but worse than washboard with a lot of side to side sway. The rack did loosen up a bit in the hitch and one of the arms of the outer tray seemed to loosen as well. I tightened everything back down and it seemed to hold, maybe I didn't have it torqued down tight enough to begin with.

In any case, even with the hitch fastened very tight you will notice some sway in the rack when on rough roads. I'm sure this is intentional but may seem disconcerting at first.

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post

What are you guys using for reflectors? I saw a few pics in this thread where folks had added some sort of reflective tape or something like that...
    I bought some reflective tape from a trailer store in town...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post

Ummm... my 1UP rack came with reflector tape already applied...

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cautery View Post
    Ummm... my 1UP rack came with reflector tape already applied...
    Ahh.. Perhaps mine didn't as I ordered a roof rack tray then added the option to apply it to a hitch. My tray does not fold in half like the one you order if you order a hitch mount version but I can use it in either position on the car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
    Ahh.. Perhaps mine didn't as I ordered a roof rack tray then added the option to apply it to a hitch. My tray does not fold in half like the one you order if you order a hitch mount version but I can use it in either position on the car.
    when did u order your tray? Few months ago i asked them if i can order a tray for roof rack and want the option to be able to attach it also to my hitch rack. And they told me they are not making this. They only did it one time as a favor to a guy in this forum few years ago.

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebu Boy View Post
    when did u order your tray? Few months ago i asked them if i can order a tray for roof rack and want the option to be able to attach it also to my hitch rack. And they told me they are not making this. They only did it one time as a favor to a guy in this forum few years ago.
    Just a few weeks ago... They said enough people were asking for this option so they offered it to me. It was a little extra cost but given the versatility it was worth it to me. I also got mine with the spacers since I have a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well I placed an order for the 1up single with an add-on. I really wanted the freedom of being able to have a single carrier sometimes since my GF will not always be biking with me. Before ordering I called the company and asked would the 1.25 hitch mount with spacer be just as secure in the hitch than the heavy duty that has the 2inch. He actually recommended the single with add-on if I wasn't planning on carrying more than 3 bikes. I hope this rack is as good as everyone is saying. My X-Cal should be in the lbs this weekend and I plan on riding next week soon as the rack arrives.

ballbuster

Yeah, srsly

Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz View Post
    Got to say pictures do not do justice to this rack
    I've been debating getting one for at least a year now and always balk at the price
    Finally saw one in person a few days ago and it is way more solid and beefy than I imagined.

Order placed!!!
    It's built like something that would have gone to the moon on the Apollo missions.

BTW, (and sorry for the reverse spam) if somebody has an extra add-on tray they wanna part with, lemmie know.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
    Just a few weeks ago... They said enough people were asking for this option so they offered it to me. It was a little extra cost but given the versatility it was worth it to me. I also got mine with the spacers since I have a fatbike.

How do they do that? Do they just add U-Bolt holes to the trays or something? I would be interested in that myself. I sometimes haul bikes on the roof racks of my Avant wagon using Thule VW factory Lockjaw trays on the factory rails. The Avant hauls 5 bikes... more than the people it can comfortably haul! That back seat is pretty small, and not very wide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    UPS guy just dropped off my new 1up single bike rack. The rack seems really nice. The only downer is that I have WRX wagon and when the rack is folded up, it completely obstructs the license plate. So I don't think I can leave the rack on the car like I had planned to unless I want to risk getting a ticket. On the other hand though, the rack is small enough to fit in the hatch. So I guess I'm still happy since I can keep the rack in the hatch.

Page 48 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast