Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,400 of 3087
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

54 1/4" wide

downhill502, FYI, the rack measures 54 1/4" wide (love it) !
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp08865 View Post
    downhill502, FYI, the rack measures 54 1/4" wide (love it) !
    Thanks!

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

One up maintenance and lubrication

I've had my 1up for about 6 months now. This is a long thread and I read the whole thread before I purchased the rack. I have been completely satisfied with the rack, well worth the investment.

Last couple of rides the wheel arms were making a squeal when opening and closing and it was getting difficult to open and close them, so I decided it was time for some maintenance. I believe this may have been covered previously in the thread, but at 95 pages and increasing, I thought it wouldn't hurt to post another. I have attached two photos labeling what I call the ratchet strut, ratchet lever, and wheel arm. I checked 1up's website and couldn't find any FAQs about maintenance. If I missed it, someone please post a link.

Bushing A in the picture is designed to bottom out before getting too tight. I loosened it to see if that fixed my problem, it sort of did, so I tightened it back down and then hit it with a spray of Tri-Flow and the wheel arms starting moving a little better. I also had to spray some Tri-Flow on both ends of bushing B. Now the wheel arm opens and closes super smooth, just like new. No problems closing the wheel arm tight against the tire.

I think the issue is when bushing A starts to stick, the ratchet strut won't pivot freely when opening the wheel arm and ends up forcing the ratchet lever from parallel with the wheel tray. The ratchet mechanism then "digs in" making it difficult to open the wheel arm, there is not enough mechanical advantage with the ratchet lever for your fingers to easily overcome the ratchet strut friction. When closing the wheel arm, the ratchet strut forces the ratchet mechanism to "dig in" in the other direction, the ratchet spring isn't strong enough to overcome the friction in bushing A, making it difficult to fully close the wheel arm against the tire.

In the second picture I show how I hold the ratchet lever parallel to the wheel tray when opening the wheel arm. The picture is a little tilted, but the lever is parallel to the wheel tray. I usually have my gloves on and put the ends of a couple of fingers under the wheel tray as a guide and then use the other fingers to lift the ratchet lever. When bushing A started sticking, I had to start holding the ratchet lever knob and keep fiddling with the ratchet lever as I opened the wheel arm. With the friction gone, I just let my hand slide along the bottom of the tray, keeping the lever parallel.

I don't think the Tri-Flow will harm the bushings. There may be better lubricants, but Tri-Flow was what I had hanging around and seemed to work well in this application. WD-40 may work, but WD-40 is more of a temporary lubricant and I wanted to go with something a little more permanent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-rachet-strut_reduced.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-ratchetlever.jpg  

Your Best Friend
    WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. Keep it very far away from your 1 Up rack.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. Keep it very far away from your 1 Up rack.
    Actually it is a lubricant as well as a cleaner. It's a very light penetrating oil but only for very light lubricating applications. Go look at their website.

Your Best Friend
    Ah, the age old arguement that it is also a lubricant. It is a solvent, with a light lubricant. Once again, keep this very far away from your rack and your bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    huh? It's light lubricating oil in an evaporating solvent. not exactly rocket science.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    huh? It's light lubricating oil in an evaporating solvent. not exactly rocket science.
    Well, it was created by using science, originally for rockets... so, in a way... JK JK!

+rep for your effort to dispel the unreasonable WD-40 hate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

My trays are several years old and I have never lubed them, I do hose them off once a season though. OTOH, my rack always comes off and is stowed in the garage between rides. I see one other local car that always has the 1up in their hitch and scratch my head as to why when it's so easy to remove, I mostly see the car parked in an overly cramped indoor hospital parking lot, which happens to be the same one, due to its cramped spaces, that has led to many scrapes on my bumper and dings on my doors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    OTOH, my rack always comes off and is stowed in the garage between rides. I see one other local car that always has the 1up in their hitch and scratch my head as to why when it's so easy to remove...
    I leave my rack on year-round. I ride 2-5 times per week so constantly removing and reattaching would be a pita IMHO. Rack still looks and functions great after 2 years of ownership. There is some aging on the lock bars and pivot bolts but just cosmetic. All aluminum bits still look awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I too ride that frequently, but then again if I'm going for a full day ride I pop the rack and toss it in the trunk. I guess I'm well versed in removing and installing it as i can do either in under two minutes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    I see one other local car that always has the 1up in their hitch and scratch my head as to why when it's so easy to remove
    I almost never remove mine. My garage is so small, I have a hard time storing it out of the way. I can think of a couple of ways, but how do you store your 1up rack?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    I almost never remove mine. My garage is so small, I have a hard time storing it out of the way. I can think of a couple of ways, but how do you store your 1up rack?
    I have a cheapo Ikea set of shelves that i put them on.

edit: These are the shelves I use.

Name:  gorm-shelving-unit__16706_PE100979_S4.JPG
Views: 950
Size:  14.8 KB

I have a 2" double 1up rack and 1 tray on the bottom shelf and a 1 1/4 single rack and 1 tray on the second shelf, (I use the 1 1/4 rack with a second tray mostly as I no longer have a vehicle with a 2" receiver) Not that it matters much but I have 6 shelves on my unit not 4 as shown in the picture.
    Last edited by edthesped; 01-08-2015 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried moving the pins at the ends of the arms? This seems super easy to do, but as usual I'm hesitant to change anything from the factory setup. I loaded up my 26er for the first time yesterday and found the arms almost get jammed perfectly under my rotors.
    buzzes like a fridge

Your Best Friend
    If you are running a 26er most of the time and your friends are also riding them, it would be worth your time to move the bolts. Otherwise you should just make sure you center the bike on the rack better and it won't get so close to the rotors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I just got my 1up quick rack with an add on and am loving the quality and how sturdy it is. I have read this complete thread and have seen many people post about using a u-lock to prevent theft and as a device to stop the rack from sliding out if the retaining bolt loosened up. I haven't seen this mentioned and it may be a new feature, but where the security allen bolt is to secure the rack to the hitch the 1 1/4" tube protrudes a bit (3/4" or so) and there is a hole drilled through it where it appears you can add a pad lock, effectively blocking anyone from removing the rack if they happened to have a tool. Has anyone noticed this on that latest racks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about above.

Last edited by Thmp Thmp; 01-13-2015 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Here is a picture of what I'm talking about above.
    This feature was on the add-on adapter I just received too.

Since it's not shown on their website, my guess was that it's for a long-shank padlock? Good idea I think!
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That is my feeling too. Fixes the issue of some one with a "security" allen wrench form taking the rack, but does not keep the rack from moving if the bolt comes loose. Coming loose is not something I am really worried about and personally I think the velcro strap would stop the rack from falling out. I just wish they had a hole like this to lock the rack and the add on tray together as those bolt could easily be removed with vice grips or the like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Finally joined the hitch rack and 1up group after years of putting bikes inside my car. There's been 90 pages of glorifying the rack so I won't say much more than the hype is real, and this is one of the best bike related purchases I've ever made.

I do have a question for any other prius owners, how much depth does your 1up have into your receiver? It seems like an excessive amount of the rack is showing, but I don't know if that's normal for the small class 1 hitch receiver.

Sorry about potato quality cell phone pic.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_20150124_120317681_hdr.jpg
    Last edited by Fluidworks; 01-24-2015 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. I just got a fat bike adapter for my rack.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

unrooted
    Just spent a pretty chunk of my Tax Return (which still hasn't been accepted by the feds. . .)

Got the 1.25" rack and the add-on in silver. Going to use it on both my Pontiac Vibe (aka toyota matrix) and my Tacoma.

My wife has a hell of a time getting her bike onto the top of the Tacoma shell (we have a platform bed in the back). I really like not having to take the wheels on and off, and trying to find a place to store the wheels and not worrying about the discs getting smashed by something in the back of our truck/car. Now we just need to pay even more attention when backing up. . .did you read that babe?
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

djrez4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Finally joined the hitch rack and 1up group after years of putting bikes inside my car. There's been 90 pages of glorifying the rack so I won't say much more than the hype is real, and this is one of the best bike related purchases I've ever made.
    Welcome to the club!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I do have a question for any other prius owners, how much depth does your 1up have into your receiver? It seems like an excessive amount of the rack is showing, but I don't know if that's normal for the small class 1 hitch receiver.
    Doesn't matter how much is showing. Only matters how much is inserted - at least 4.375" with the ball inserted at least 2".

mtbr member
    Hi was wondering who has one here in Vegas. My question is how has it held up shuttling up and down bootleg, does it hold the bikes securely going up and down that rough ass dirt road? Thanks in advance guys.

Your Best Friend
    It is off road rated. I don't know of any other rack that can claim that. We beat the crap out of a Thule T2 and a 1up on the White Rim in Moab. The T2 didn't make it out unscathed and the bikes on it took a beating. The 1up just needed to be rinsed off and the bikes were perfectly fine.

mtbr member
    Good to know been really interested in getting one. Thanks for response.

mtbr member
    I don't know the link but I recall seeing a vidoe on youtube of a Jeep Wrangler with a 1UP rack carrying at least 2 bikes jumping a dirt ramp and caught some air, landed, and rack and bikes were fine. I think it was a 2" receiver version, not the 1-1/4" with an adapter.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmp450 View Post
    Hi was wondering who has one here in Vegas. My question is how has it held up shuttling up and down bootleg, does it hold the bikes securely going up and down that rough ass dirt road? Thanks in advance guys.
    That rack will out-last your vehicle. . .guaranteed!

I can't imagine shuttling at Bootleg, the "XC" trails are so fun, up and down!

mtbr member
    I agree all the trails out there are awesome we do both pedal from bottom and shuttle we mix it up. Thanks for all the feed back guys. Pretty sure gonna pull trigger on it next month.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There is a picture in this thread some place that shows a truck that rolled with a 1up rack with a bike in it and the rack and bike survived. That is saying something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've looked through the last 20 pages but I couldn't find a reason why the black is $50 more than the silver. I have been debating on the T2, Sherpa, or 1up. But I definitely like the 1up most so far just trying to figure out how to justify why black is more expensive.

mtbr member
    I saw that. Just it's expensive so just getting more reasons to justify price lol.

unrooted
    Treating aluminum, whether it be painting or anodizing, is going to require a bit more for the manufacturers.

I think the black looks great, but I remember somebody in this forum saying that their black rack started to fade, while the raw aluminum ones look great after years of use.

The fact that the 1up is cheaper than many of the plastic racks from Kuat, Thule and Yakima is reason enough to buy the 1up, being that the 1up is made in the US out of all metal parts sealed the deal for me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    kylen721, I felt the same way, so I saved $50 and purchased the silver.
    Best rack I will ever have !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jp08865 View Post
    kylen721, I felt the same way, so I saved $50 and purchased the silver.
    Best rack I will ever have !
    I just really hate silver for some reason. Dark Gray car with all the chrome blacked out I just can't put a silver rack on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kylen721 View Post
    I just really hate silver for some reason. Dark Gray car with all the chrome blacked out I just can't put a silver rack on it.
    I'm in the same boat, have dark car and black trim, and like estethics. But the more I thought about it, I don't really want my rack to blend in to the vehicle. I'd rather have it more visible as I live in a populated area with lots of traffic. Just feel it's less chance of some daydreaming tailgater ramming it. Loaded it up with DOT tape reflrectors so it is highly visible at night. It is designed well enough to unbolt it, fold it up and put in trunk in about 3 minutes when not using it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I was probably the person talking about fading. I bought a black one a couple years back after selling my silver one to a buddy (who's still using it).

Not sure if they've changed the process, but mine faded really quickly to something of a rubbed bronze finish almost. I leave mine on all the time and live in the AZ sun, but it's something to consider.

Your Best Friend
    The anodized ones faded and they no longer do it that way. Now they powder coat them and the paint chips off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I got mine a couple weeks ago, and couldn't be happier with the decision. I am switching it between mine and my wife's car, one with 1 1/4" and one with 2". It's a breeze going back and forth.

I also got an add-on and the fat bike adapters. I'm slightly nervous about it somehow working its way loose from the receiver, even with the velcro strap. I haven't scoured this whole thread, but I assume that this is just me over worrying.

I guess my only complaint would be that swapping the fatbike spacers in and out isn't a trivial process. I just got my fatbike, and have no plans to ride it much in the summer over my other bike... but plans change. Anyone use the fatbike spacer kit all year round and with other bikes (road and skinny MTB)?

Obligatory photo:

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20150122_163318.jpg

Your Best Friend
    Yes, just leave in the fat bike spacers. It still works with road bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I was probably the person talking about fading. I bought a black one a couple years back after selling my silver one to a buddy (who's still using it).

Not sure if they've changed the process, but mine faded really quickly to something of a rubbed bronze finish almost. I leave mine on all the time and live in the AZ sun, but it's something to consider.
    Hey, Blatant...Where in AZ do you live? I'd love to see what your's looks like in person if you are in the Phoenix area. I've been looking at these racks for a month now but sure would like to see one in person before spending the $$$.

Thanks.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Scottsdale. All you have to do is go to South Mountain and/or any of the PMP parking lots on a busy morning. Seems like half the riders in AZ sports One Up racks these days.

unrooted
    The biggest reason I'm getting a 1up is due to all the Kuats I've seen in Tahoe, the look like crap after a short period of time. The rubber/foam material Kuat uses is way too fragile.

All of the 1ups I've seen pretty much live on the vehicle and look great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I live in the North East and mine stays on my truck all year round. Aside from a little oxidation on the slide lock bars and the nuts/bolts - all still looks and functions perfectly.

unrooted
    Heading to Vegas for the weekend tonight! Unfortunatley only my wife gets to mountain bike cause I'll be rock climbing. . .

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  94.6 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well you guys convinced me decided to join the club and placed order for the rack.

Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder75 View Post
    Finally purchased a 1up and wish I had done it years ago! The rack is a machined piece of art and is such a pleasure to load and unload. I am coming from a fork mount roof rack with a quick release fork bike. I decided when I got my new ride with thru axels I wasn't going to do the roof rack front wheel removal with adapter crap. Wish I had come to that conclusion sooner. Great rack and I will be getting an add on soon.
    Attachment 913863
    Stryder75; can you or any other Outback owners tell me if you're able to put the rack up in the vertical position (1 or 2 bike config) without hitting the rear of the vehicle? I plan to leave the rack on all the time, so this would be a major consideration as to whether I go with the 1up. Thanks much.

Colorado
    Outback owners; can anyone tell me if you're able to put the rack up in the full vertical position (1 or 2 bike config) without hitting the rear of the vehicle? I plan to leave the rack on all the time, so this would be a major consideration as to whether I go with the 1up. Thanks much.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    The biggest reason I'm getting a 1up is due to all the Kuats I've seen in Tahoe, the look like crap after a short period of time. The rubber/foam material Kuat uses is way too fragile.

Mine stays on pretty much all year, too. No plastic to fade.

I'm debating buying the fatbike spacers for my 2nd tray. I don't own a fatbike but I've borrowed one a couple of times, and it sucks to have a rack that doesn't work.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ltspd1 View Post
    Outback owners; can anyone tell me if you're able to put the rack up in the full vertical position (1 or 2 bike config) without hitting the rear of the vehicle? I plan to leave the rack on all the time, so this would be a major consideration as to whether I go with the 1up. Thanks much.
    I don't have an Outback, but a Forester and I have a two tray system and am able to fold up the rack without hitting the bumper with no problem, the best part is you only have to fold it down to the half way mark to open the hatch...the bad part is it fully covers the license plate when folded up. I don't leave mine on all the time, so I got one of these to go with the rack so I can put it in the exact same spot every time. 1UPUSA.com :: 1 1/4" Hitch Bar Stop

Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast