Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 3098
    mtbr member

Thoughts on the Roof Rack

While I still like the rack much more than my old Thule big mouth (and an older fork mount), it does have it's challenges. My take...

Pros:
    - Looks sleek
    - Easy installation
    - Very secure hold on the bikes
    - Made in the USA

Cons:
    - A little hard to open the arms
    (might just need some breaking-in/loosening up. I also wonder if this is only an issue when the racks are on the roof, where you have to push the arms away from you, over your shoulder level. I assume pulling towards you at a hitch-rack level is likely easier)
    - A little tricky to mount a bike and close the arms (Again, likely because it's on the roof. I've found that leaving one arm fully-open and the other close to where it will be when the bike is secured makes it easier to mount the bike.)
    - It appears that paint on the black trays chips easily (See second pic. I've only used it twice and have been pretty careful with it.)

Nevertheless, I am very happy with the racks. Definitely worth their retail price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20141005_105607.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20141005_114914.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just noticed the single bike tray with a 2" receiver version is now available to order on the 1up site!
    -= 2012+ Niner Air 9 - His
    -= 2015 Trek Skye SLX - Hers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    To open the arm - I found it's easier to open the arm if I press the arm into the tire a little (take the load off, I think), then unlatch the lever. Otherwise the lever is firmly latched into the locking grooves on the rail. Not sure if this is an option for roof mounted situation tho...

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    To open the arms from the closed position I put my fingers on the bottom edge of the lever and push it up even with the ratchet rod. This is the sweet spot, disengages the ratchet but not so high up that it re-engages the ratchet. The arms will raise or lower without a sound. I wear gloves when I raise and lower the arm, I wouldn't try this without gloves on. If you leave the rear tire arm in the correct spot, you can just roll the bike in and it will pretty much stay put while you close the front tire arm. Same thing when removing the bike. I lower the front tire arm and roll the bike out from the rear arm.

mtbr member
    The other trick regarding the unlock arm is to raise it straight up or if anything pushing it TOWARDS the tray. If you pull it away while lifting it up then it jams into the locking rod.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster Mech View Post
    I just noticed the single bike tray with a 2" receiver version is now available to order on the 1up site!
    Got mine a few days ago. Can you say SOLID!!!! ?

oracle
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
    got mine a few days ago. Can you say solid!!!! ?
    solid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-img_3122-untagged.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I recently got the single 1up. Sits nice and close to the rear bumper of my 08 outback, I love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Only issue I have found using the rack on my 2014 Ram is that when I flip the rack up and out of the way it completely blocks my tag. Even in the normal open position my tag is partially blocked. If a cop is bored I could see being pulled over and ticketed.

mtbr member
    Only issue I have found using the rack on my 2014 Ram is that when I flip the rack up and out of the way it completely blocks my tag. Even in the normal open position my tag is partially blocked. If a cop is bored I could see being pulled over and ticketed.
    It blocks the rear license plate of my car and my wife's SUV but so far so good... no bored cops.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

I have the same truck. Never had a problem with cops loaded up.

I do take the rack off when not in use. I do agree that this could potentially be a problem.

On the other hand 1UP does sell a relocation bracket for the plate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post

I have never seen that relocation piece before but what happens when the rack is being used and the tag is facing the ground? I would think that could cause an issue.....

Edit: Oh wait. It looks like maybe you just slide it off and reposition the relocation kit when you open or close the rack. If thats the case it does not seem like it would be real secure

mtbr member

I don't have one, but it's locked in place by the bolts. You would need to use your special key to loosen it...then slide it off...reposition, and tighten the bolts back down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've had mine for about a year... I can't imagine why anyone would bother with anything other than 1UP for a hitch rack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I want a black 2" version instead of the 1 1/4" with adapter silver version I have now. If you're in the bay area and looking for this 1up, then you can save $100 plus...

1up usa bike rack

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looking nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    anybody have a photo to show the differences between the 2" heavy duty and super duty double racks?

mtbr member
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have the super duty and I still can't tell. I emailed one up and their response was "The super duty has the added bar under the 15 degree plate." I have no idea what that means, it almost makes me think they sent me a heavy duty because mine looks identical to every picture posted on this thread.

mtbr member
    I believe this is the reinforcement bar they are talking about. It is between the ribs of the mounting plate for the trays.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster Mech View Post
    I believe this is the reinforcement bar they are talking about. It is between the ribs of the mounting plate for the trays.

Interesting, I have the Heavy Duty and mine is ribbed at that location. I don't see how a flat bar in the same location would allow you to go from a 50 to 75 lb bike?

When I ordered mine, the salesman did not tell me about the Super Duty. I told them that I was going to carry 4 fatbikes and two of them would be pretty heavy (potentially over 50lbs). When I found out about the Super Duty (after the fact), they told me not to worry because the Heavy Duty would handle it. Anyone else receive the same message?

Edit: I see yours is ribbed too, but has the flat bar in between.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks! I ordered the super duty because it adds less than a lb of weight (according to 1up), but increases the load capacity drastically. Realistically I don't think I will ever need the extra weight capacity, but it should help strength if I have 4 bikes and I'm driving over rough offroad terrain.

Afric Pepperbird
    Does anyone have any lubricant tips? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to read through 90+ pages....I'm kinda drunk)

One of the arms on my rack is just a tad more noisy than then other, when lifting it up ("open"). Nothing too major or concerning. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a safe 1Up lube. I'd ask them directly, but I figure I'd get a quicker answer here.

Thanks in advance!

Your Best Friend
    Ha. I just put chain lube on mine when I'm tinkering on my bike at any given trailhead.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

djrez4
    Do these things ever go on sale? I'm going to pick one up either way, but it's always nice to save some moolah.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    Do these things ever go on sale? I'm going to pick one up either way, but it's always nice to save some moolah.
    I have never seen it on sale. Even when they were selling them on eBay it was still the same price.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm one of the few that returned my OneUp 2" with add-on.

Pros:
    Super-sturdy, high-quality construction, no assembly required.
    Appealing design.
    Can leave on the vehicle because when folded up it adds less than a foot to the length of the vehicle, and there is a theft guarantee when locked to the receiver with their tool.

Cons:
    Arms on mine were sometimes difficult to open. While lifting the lever and opening the arm, it would often jam.
    Lots of fore and aft movement on some bikes. Mine happened to be one of them. I do drive a somewhat stiff riding 4x4, so that probably contributed. My friend has one, and the fore and aft movement while there, is not too bad.

Regarding the silver vs. black - When folded up, the silver reminded me of an aluminum step-ladder on the back of the car. If I was to do it again, I'd go with the black even if I had to do touch-ups to it.

mtbr member
    Curious because I spoke to them on the phone and they all but guaranteed that it would withstand 4x4 off roading. I often find myself on difficult 4-lo style roads with bikes and need something I can trust!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty happy with mine ( 2" super duty single + 2 add-ons ) Best feature that no other rack has is the flexibility of 1, 2 or 3 bikes. ( I would really like to do 4 ... but I'm following the rules ). Putting on the base 1 bike rack is super easy. Storage of the other parts is also awesom - no huge rack to deal with. This is one of the top main selling points for me over other racks. ( I like no plastic and made in the USA too )

Another unique plus:
    How each rack steps up, making clearance fantastic. We don't really need it on our rig, but for people with low bumpers, this would be huge.

I don't love the arm action - I do find its not super smooth. ( Can't reliably open the arms in one easy motion) But I haven't had a ton of practice yet - it seems like there is a trick ( I've tried every bit of the suggestions, pushing slightly in, out, dead center, etc... ) I do wish I could open the arms with one hand - as most often I'm holding the bike with my other.

If someone else thinks they have this movement down ... take a video and show us your mastery!

I'm a tiny bit worried about the wear of the teeth where the arms are held up - aluminimum is soft. ( most reports don't seem to make this an issue ) Just that clicking sound is so loud when putting the arms back down ... and I can see a tiny bit of wear in the teeth even after just a few uses.

I've had times when my front disc gets pretty close or touches the arm - easy to avoid with positioning, but caught me by surprise.

Otherwise, I think its rock steady back there - any sway is in the car or the actual bikes, not the rack. ( Jackl - your experience with another rack will be interesting - please post back when you get one )

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Curious because I spoke to them on the phone and they all but guaranteed that it would withstand 4x4 off roading. I often find myself on difficult 4-lo style roads with bikes and need something I can trust!
    It will be fine. My buddy rolled his truck at 60 mph, the bike stayed in the rack and they both survived without a scratch. He sent pictures to 1 up and they didn't believe it.
    Last edited by JB51; 11-20-2014 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JB51 View Post
    It will be fine. My buddy rolled his truck at 60 mph, the bike stayed in the rack and they both survived without a scratch. He sent sent pictures to 1 up and they didn't believe it.
    Post the pictures here!

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Post the pictures here!

J.

The best one I could find on his FB. I will see if he has one of the back

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok, this takes the cake for anyone worrying about "will the rack keep the bike secure".

Thanks for the photos - excellent.

So, how did he roll his truck?

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Evasive maneuvers for someone crossing the double yellow 20 miles from nowhere on a 30 mile rode with one mild bend in it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    I don't love the arm action - I do find its not super smooth. ( Can't reliably open the arms in one easy motion) But I haven't had a ton of practice yet - it seems like there is a trick ( I've tried every bit of the suggestions, pushing slightly in, out, dead center, etc... ) I do wish I could open the arms with one hand - as most often I'm holding the bike with my other.
    What I do: one hand to hold bike (if necessary), second hand puts a bit of inward pressure on the arm, lift lever with my toe. The arms open smoothly every time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    What I do: one hand to hold bike (if necessary), second hand puts a bit of inward pressure on the arm, lift lever with my toe. The arms open smoothly every time.
    Trying to picture this, I keep thinking of the monty python funny walk skit...

But to be clear, the trick is the inward pressure on the arm, not the lever. Maybe that's where I was messing up.

thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Trying to picture this, I keep thinking of the monty python funny walk skit...
    Ha ha ha, a good one. I usually push one of the wheel arms inward a little (so press against the tire), this allows the cantilever tab to dislodge easily from the teeth of the slider rail.

djrez4
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    To answer my own question:

No, but I emailed and asked if they had any returns or scratch'n'dents that they could sell at a discount and they did. $515 shipped for a 2" double tray in silver with fat bike kits installed on both trays. That's about 15% off. I may have JACKL's returned rack!

It sounded like there was at least one more available if anyone is in the market.

mtbr member
    Finally joined the 1up army after following this thread for 3 years hah.

Pretty great so far, and much much better than contorting my bike into the car.

What's the consensus on locking the bike to the rack? Haven't ordered the wheel locks, but thinking of just using a standard chain/lock arrangement when necessary.
    buzzes like a fridge

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    What's the consensus on locking the bike to the rack? Haven't ordered the wheel locks, but thinking of just using a standard chain/lock arrangement when necessary.
    I use the Kryptonite New York noose 1213 to chain the frame to the hitch, not the rack. Ulock rear wheel to frame. I am still puzzling on best method for front wheel. Either a real long ulock to frame, or shorter ulock to fork. Problem is a fork is pretty easy to remove, so I should go to frame, but then I can't get matching keyed ulocks from kryptonite. I have carbon rims, so need to lock them up pretty solid.

If you surf the web The Best Bike Lock | The Sweethome, has a good review of locks and interviews two bike thieves, this is in NY city. I doubt you are mountain biking in NY city, but the advice is good for any area. It all depends on where you leave the bike locked and how much the bike is worth on the chances of it getting stolen. Ulocks and chain locks prevent all but the professional thieves from stealing it. A pro is going to get it if you leave it unattended, no matter what the lock. The idea is to lock it up well enough that the petty thief with low tech tools can't steal it easily, they will just move on to the next bike.

I looked at the wheel locks from 1up, but a small time thief could unbolt the arms with just a cheap socket wrench. Or just pull the quick release and take the frame, with everything else attached. You have a nice ride there, I would definitely chain the frame to the hitch, at the very least. Make sure you take measurements on how much chain you will need to reach the hitch with a lock. The noose is good, because it gives you a lot of useable length.

mtbr member

Now for a dropper post...

Your Best Friend
    1up sells one of the best cable locks I've ever used on their website. I highly recommend it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    I use the Kryptonite New York noose 1213 to chain the frame to the hitch, not the rack. Ulock rear wheel to frame. I am still puzzling on best method for front wheel.
    Cool, thanks for the advice and the article. I'm not as worried about my wheels, and dont really plan on leaving it out of sight for more than a few minutes, so I'm hoping a strong chain like the Kryptonite will be fine. Attaching it to the hitch is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    1up sells one of the best cable locks I've ever used on their website. I highly recommend it.
    Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Now for a dropper post...
    One thing at a time!
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    And now I can verify my bike stays on even if the front tire completely deflates while driving.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

QuikRack Add-On Adapter

Can anybody comment on the QuikRack Add-On Adapter? I couldn't find any feedback in my search...

I'm thinking of getting one for my Fiesta to use the add-ons from my 4-place rack. The hitch itself sounds like it'll need some monkeying around to not knock the muffler, but that's another story...

--------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I finally picked up a 1Up rack after going through a couple of Saris racks that each had different problems. This thing has been great so far, much less movement of the bike while traveling, feels much safer at interstate speeds going to and from rides. It also fits perfect on the back of my Chevy Sonic hatchback and the bikes are lower than the Saris racks allowing the bars to stay just at or below the roof line instead of sticking out above it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My SUV has a 2 inch receiver, but I bought the 1-1/4" single bike version with a purpose. It comes with the 2 inch adapter, and I can remove the adapter and install it into the 1-1/4 inch receiver on the back of my tow behind travel trailer. Can't beat that.

Plus the fact that it is so easy to remove and install with the one security bolt. Worth every penny.

mtbr member
    I just unpacked mine & installed it on my jeep. Really a nice, well designed, easy to use rack. So glad I went this way.

mtbr member

Pretty great so far, and much much better than contorting my bike into the car.

That looks great, can you tell me if the rack is actually wider than the width of your Subaru? With or without the bike loaded?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill502 View Post
    That looks great, can you tell me if the rack is actually wider than the width of your Subaru? With or without the bike loaded?
    That's one thing I was worried about initially but it doesn't seem to be a problem. With my bike loaded (that's a XXL 29er) it's wider than the body of the car, but it doesn't seem to be wider than the mirrors.

Doesn't look like it in the pic, but without the bike the rack itself is about 4" shorter on each side than the car.

Either way, I haven't had any problems passing cars on the highway or noticed people giving me extra room. Although I do notice people definitely seem to tailgate less!
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    That's one thing I was worried about initially but it doesn't seem to be a problem. With my bike loaded (that's a XXL 29er) it's wider than the body of the car, but it doesn't seem to be wider than the mirrors.

Doesn't look like it in the pic, but without the bike the rack itself is about 4" shorter on each side than the car.

Either way, I haven't had any problems passing cars on the highway or noticed people giving me extra room. Although I do notice people definitely seem to tailgate less!
    That's good to hear! Thanks for the response.