Page 47 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2292
    Sep 2010
    Heck, empty is how I was talking about. It is a pain to reach to pull the black bar.

I would not even attempt full.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Stand between the trays, pull up on the tray with on hand and work the bar with the other. It's a lot easier without the load sitting on the bar's contacts.

J.

mtbr member
    On a 2012 Subaru WRX Sedan...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    On a 2012 Subaru WRX Sedan...

I bought my 1up rack because I didn't want anything rubbing on my Enve wheels
    Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-mb-041.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-mb-042.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have had my rack now just for a couple of months and have loved it. Just recently I used the 1 bike add-on for the first time when a friend and I needed to travel about an hour away for an event ride on Antelope Island. This was also the first time I had been on the Freeway (65+ mph) with this rack. Before now, I hadn't been too far away from home, as we have tons of great trails close by here in Utah. I was a little nervous and was checking my rear view mirror often. On our way home, it was VERY windy and although the bikes were moving, I felt confident that they weren't going anywhere.
    I am even now more in love with this rack!
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member
    Just bought a 1up and used it for the first time today. As others have said, pictures don't do it justice. The quality and craftsmanship is outstanding, the hitch retention system is brilliant, and I LOVE not having to take the front tire off my bike. Loading and unloading bikes couldn't be easier.

Only two gripes so far, and they're minor. First, pulling the black bar to tilt the rack has been tricky the few times I've attempted it. I have a feeling this will go smoother once it breaks in a little, but so far it has a tendency to stick and has required that I put some muscle into it. Second, the rack is pretty heavy. I have the two bike model for two inch hitches, which I think weighs around 50 pounds. Not a big deal for me, but some women would probably struggle getting it installed. Obviously, there's not much that 1up can do about this, since it's built mostly from aluminum. (Carbon fiber?? )

Overall I'm very happy with it and am convinced it's the best rack on the market. It ain't cheap, but you really do get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k View Post
    Only two gripes so far, and they're minor. First, pulling the black bar to tilt the rack has been tricky the few times I've attempted it. I have a feeling this will go smoother once it breaks in a little, but so far it has a tendency to stick and has required that I put some muscle into it. .
    Push or pull up on the rack first and the tilt mechanism works easily

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k View Post

Only two gripes so far, and they're minor. First, pulling the black bar to tilt the rack has been tricky the few times I've attempted it. I have a feeling this will go smoother once it breaks in a little, but so far it has a tendency to stick and has required that I put some muscle into it.
    You have to take the load of the weight of the rack off of the black bar for it to be able to move easier. EIther pick up on the rack or have someone else do it and you'll find that it's simple to release the lock.

Second, the rack is pretty heavy. I have the two bike model for two inch hitches, which I think weighs around 50 pounds. Not a big deal for me, but some women would probably struggle getting it installed. Obviously, there's not much that 1up can do about this, since it's built mostly from aluminum. (Carbon fiber?? )

Overall I'm very happy with it and am convinced it's the best rack on the market. It ain't cheap, but you really do get what you pay for.
    We have the single rack version with add on kits. Each section is 20 lbs or less so it's easy to do it in pieces for even the smallest adult or a child.

J.

mtbr member
    Just got mine, the more I use it the more I don't know how I used to live without it. It is so simple and quick to load/unload.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Nice bikes! Oh, and bike rack too..
    I actually had some of my riding friends try my rack and order one for themselves. I should be on commission for 1Up...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Mine just arrived today. Very well made, shipped fast, and it's sooo easy to use.

Last edited by Wingspan; 08-14-2012 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Had mine for 2 months now. Absolutely love it. I can't believe I went this long without it.

Notice the Yakima rack on top of my car collecting dust? It will be posted on Craiglist as soon my new Add On Rack (ordered today) arrives this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-photo-11-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just received my silver 2-bike rack and 3rd bike add-on and the ball bearing in the 2" hitch is missing. It looks like there was an error in the milling process that caused a bur in the hole where the ball bearing sits. I think this bur prevented the ball bearing from being pressed into the hitch during manufacturing. I left a message on 1Up's answering machine so we will see what happens in the morning, but I leave on a 20 day drip to Colorado at the end of this week . I also noticed that the rack moved around inside the box a good bit. The end screws punctured the end of the box during transit. The screws are a little banged up but not too bad. The rack is very impressive in person.

1Upusa-Hitch-Ball-Missing
    1Upusa-Box-2
    1Upusa-Box-1

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you tried threading the locking mechanism in? It looks like the expanding ball is right there. I don't think that the ball is installed from the outside in; it would be more secure vice versa. Anyhow, since you have the rack and need it to work, why not just try fitting the rack into your hitch and tightening it down. Wouldn't hurt. Hopefully you get fixed up before your trip. It sucks when the timing falls like this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Have you tried threading the locking mechanism in? It looks like the expanding ball is right there. I don't think that the ball is installed from the outside in; it would be more secure vice versa. Anyhow, since you have the rack and need it to work, why not just try fitting the rack into your hitch and tightening it down. Wouldn't hurt. Hopefully you get fixed up before your trip. It sucks when the timing falls like this.
    The metal piece inside the hole is just the rounded plug that pushes out the ball bearing when you turn the screw. Trust me the first thing I tried was tightening the bolt. The ball bearing for my rack is rolling around in a CNC shop somewhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Probably in Wisconsin somewhere. Good luck getting it sorted out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, I just talked to 1UP this morning and apparently they had a few hitches where the ball pocket was not machined deep enough so they had to bring them back to the machine shop to bore them out which is why the ball pocket is not anodized in the picture. Apparently the machinist bored the pockets out slightly too large and the ball was able to wiggle itself loose. The bur/nick on the side of the pocket is placed there on purpose to hold the ball in place. They are sending me two ball bearings and told me to tap the ball into place and then use a hammer to round off the edges of the pocket to create a lip to hold the ball. They offered to return the rack for a refund but they did not offer an exchange due to shipping rates. They said I could use the rack on my trip and return the rack for a refund after I get back if I wanted. They were quick to respond with a solution, but we will see how well the hitch holds the ball. I really don't want to be banging on the rack with a hammer to try and make it work right or chasing around a loose ball bearing every-time I remove the rack. It might not be a big deal but I will just have to wait and see. They did say that this is the second call they received this morning about the issue so I was not the only one that received a ball-less rack . Nothing in life is perfect but your sure want it to be for $529.00.

SS Rider
    Thankfully my rack didn't have the ball problem and I just got it yesterday and mounted it up. I was hesitant to buy 1up as from the pics it looks kind of home made. In person this rack is very nice.
    I bought it because of the versatility and it is the only one I found that once it leaves the hitch it slants up away from the ground which is very nice for a car to give extra clearance. I also like that I can leave it on the car all the time and it takes a very small amount of space and I can open the rear hitch. Generally I only carry one bike so it is nice to be able to leave it on the car and it not be in the way.
    I have a Yeti 575 and a fatbike so I bought it with the spacers for the fat tires. I also have a thule rack that the arm grabs the tire. The thule works but not as well with the fat tires as the tires do not fit in the tray. 1UP so far seems like a lot nicer rack and made in the USA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
    I was hesitant to buy 1up as from the pics it looks kind of home made. In person this rack is very nice.
    It does have a bit of an "erector set" look to it at a distance, but anyone who thinks this is a homemade rack after seeing it up close either has access to some nice machinery in their garage or has no experience in manufacturing.

beater
    I've gotten a lot of compliments and inquiries about mine. It does look and feel solid in the flesh.

Here's a picture of mine alongside my friend's NSR-4. For carrying up to 2 bikes, I like having them snugged up to the bumper like this. Three bikes is probably six of one, half a dozen of another. But once you get up to a bike's height in distance out, I think it makes more sense to hang them, like a NSR-4 or obviously a NSR-6. I really like the North Shore Racks, but one drawback is having to play bike Tetris with different stack heights, stem lengths and bar widths. The Arbutus racks might be better for this. Anyway, for my 1-2 bike needs, the 1-Up is great. It would be nice to have a little more width for flat pedals, but obviously that would mean higher material costs.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344973269.143396.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Hitch Pin

Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    For a secondary lock, like others, I plan to use a u lock around the hitch and the rack. For now, I've been keeping it in my trunk. I love the way it folds up nice and compact.
    My rack is on order so I have not seen the unit in the "metal". But, what would be wrong with drilling a hole and using a standard hitch pin lock?

Slow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow450 View Post
    My rack is on order so I have not seen the unit in the "metal". But, what would be wrong with drilling a hole and using a standard hitch pin lock?

Slow
    Because you will be drilling right into the expanding ball mechanism.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Slow
    Because this would be dumb.

SS Rider

Slow
    It will be obvious when you get it. You can not drill through as the mechanism that works the ball goes all the way to the end.

Page 47 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast