Page 46 of 94 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2333
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Got mine yesterday. Fits and looks good on my Xterra! Will haul a bike Friday but it did fine today running empty and with the tray folded up towards the bumper. Happy buyer here, thus far...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One thing I didn't initially notice is that if your not careful you may end up hitting your disc rotor with the support arms. I have to make sure my bike is situated properly or I end up mashing the rotor on the arm...

I'm assuming this won't be the case with every bike due to sizes and geometries.

mtbr member
    I got mine and took it out for the first ride last night. The black one looks great with my black car and black bike. The first time out made me a little nervous.....glancing in my rearview mirror A LOT, but it worked great. Hopefully my rack, my bike and I will enjoy many years and many adventures together.

**I have noticed in other pictures that some racks have kind of a rubber band on the arms that someone mentioned keeps the arms from rubbing against the platforms when not in use. Mine didn't have those. I am curious if that is just something on previous models??? Those of you with newer racks, did your rack come with those?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-bike-rack-bike.jpg  

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mine doesn't have those bands. Actually one arm can't close all the way because it hits the red cam lock. I asked 1up about this and they said to just bend it some to make it clear. Unfortunately I've not been able to do that (like it won't bend or not enough)...so one side just stays up a little to clear the cam.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisfan76 View Post
    I got mine and took it out for the first ride last night. The black one looks great with my black car and black bike. The first time out made me a little nervous.....glancing in my rearview mirror A LOT, but it worked great. Hopefully my rack, my bike and I will enjoy many years and many adventures together.

**I have noticed in other pictures that some racks have kind of a rubber band on the arms that someone mentioned keeps the arms from rubbing against the platforms when not in use. Mine didn't have those. I am curious if that is just something on previous models??? Those of you with newer racks, did your rack come with those?
    Mine showed up without the rubber spacers. Called 1up since I thought I was missing them. The advised that they no longer do those since their research has showed they are not needed. He advised that the original reason for them was to keep the arms inline during shipping since they had a string of damaged packages/bent racks with UPS. That was the reason I was given yesterday.

If you are not satisfied then they offer 100% satisfaction and probably exchange. I don't have the alignment issues you are having.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031 View Post
    Mine showed up without the rubber spacers. Called 1up since I thought I was missing them. The advised that they no longer do those since their research has showed they are not needed. He advised that the original reason for them was to keep the arms inline during shipping since they had a string of damaged packages/bent racks with UPS. That was the reason I was given yesterday.

If you are not satisfied then they offer 100% satisfaction and probably exchange. I don't have the alignment issues you are having.
    Thanks! I was not too worried. I don't have the alignment issues like jbsmith....just curious if they were accidentally left off.

The only issue I have had is that my rack has been on my car since I received it a week ago and I have had it scrape a couple of times on inclines just driving around the city. I think I might take it off and only have it on when I am taking my bike somewhere. It is light and easy enough to install that I don't think this should be too big a deal.
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member

Wink

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-2nd-102.jpg  

mtbr member

Wink

The more I use it the more I love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-4th-ride-001.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-4th-ride-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Time to get your bikes dirty, little buddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuddy View Post
    The more I use it the more I love it!
    the angularity of the rack matchss the angularity of your car.

meow.

mtbr member
    Drove to AZ with 3 bikes. 2 on my roof rack and one on my 1Up Rack which was flawless.

Another big plus for the hitch rack is that this was the only bike that did not need to have bugs scraped off after the 1,100 mile drive.

Bottom-line, selling my roof rack, buying a 1Up Add On Rack.

mtbr member
    There's a lot of you that have taken the rack on long road trips but what I want to know is how the rack holds up to a lot miles on rough dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    There's a lot of you that have taken the rack on long road trips but what I want to know is how the rack holds up to a lot miles on rough dirt roads.
    I've got some play at the expander ball that holds the rack in place. And on dirt roads for shuttling I got to re-tighten the hitch after we park. I've been meaning to send it back to 1up for warranty service. Their CS is terrific.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As I mentioned a few posts back I've done a lot of miles on dirt roads with mine. The retention mechanism eventually lost some of its retention-ing ability. I sent it back to 1up (on their dime) and they turned the rack around in a day. Pretty happy so far. This August will be about 75k miles on my rack with this being the only real problem.

mtbr member

Love love love this rack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-balm-ride-059.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-balm-ride-060.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-balm-ride-061.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-balm-ride-062.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-balm-ride-066.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Got to say pictures do not do justice to this rack
    I've been debating getting one for at least a year now and always balk at the price
    Finally saw one in person a few days ago and it is way more solid and beefy than I imagined.

Order placed!!!

mtbr member
    I finally ordered the rack. I ordered the single sense 90% of the time I'm by myself.
    I should be getting the rack on Thursday and I have trip planed for this weekend that will involve around 50 miles of rough dirt roads. I will tell ya what I think after that. I can't wait!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I finally ordered the rack. I ordered the single since 90% of the time I'm by myself.
    I should be getting the rack on Thursday and I have trip planed for this weekend that will involve around 50 miles of rough dirt roads. I will tell ya what I think after that. I can't wait!
    Rough roads are no problem for that rack. Last summer I did a few 100 miles in CO with my bike on the rack and it never loosened up or looked like it was going to fall off.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    As I mentioned a few posts back I've done a lot of miles on dirt roads with mine. The retention mechanism eventually lost some of its retention-ing ability. I sent it back to 1up (on their dime) and they turned the rack around in a day. Pretty happy so far. This August will be about 75k miles on my rack with this being the only real problem.
    same thing happened on mine, the thing that slides over the wheels would untension, 1up replaced the parts for free and sent me a newish upgrade

One thing I would like to try and figure out is a better way to lock the bikes to the rac, it would be nice if there was some tab or loop on the rack itslef as my hitch doesnt have one that's conducive to having a closeby heavy 3 or 4 ft link chain btwn bike and rack
    I know it's always a bad idea to lock bikes to rack, but at least a ny style chian will slow them down (more than a foofy cable) or the built in locking mechanism on a thule ot yak rack

mtbr member
    UPS delivered my new 1up rack last night, so I had to try it out first thing this morning.
    I took it about 1 mile of a pretty rough dirt road and it did fine. The bike was in the exact same
    place as when I left, it didn't move at all. I did notice that the rack flexed a little bit up and down, my guess is because of the 1 1/4" shaft. I'm sure the rack would not flex with the 2' shaft.
    I also have a Saris 2 bike rack with the extra two bike add on. It's been a good rack but it's very heavy and I've had a problem when I have two bikes with the rear derailleur hitting on the arms (not a good thing).
    I ride about 95% of the time by myself so this single rack will work out great.

Photobucket

Photobucket

mtbr member
    It holds road bikes too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-pix-003.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-pix-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    My favorite feature of the 1UP is that it's a full size 2 bike platform hitch rack but it folds up like a transformer and fits in the trunk of any vehicle with plenty of extra room to spare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-folded-001.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-folded-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks to this site and lots of research, I too sucked up the cost and bought the 1UP Aluminum plus 1 add on... Honestly, the thing is a dream!!! I'm new to traveling around with a bike and starting to ride a little more seriously than "neighborhood runs" ... wanted to be inspired to use it, so the ease negated the cost in the end. Installed the rack and bike in less than one minute! Love the reflective square in the middle when it is folded up behind the car as well. NOTEWORTHY!!!!!!!!!!! I have a new Honda Accord and had drawtight hitch installed, and the first time I used the rack, I released both tires from the clamps and was looking in awe - not realizing that it wasn't held on (blond moment)... and the bike fell onto the trunk making a serious dent. For me, a one time hardship, for you, maybe it will save the same fate.

Sep 2010
    Got my rack a couple of weeks ago and as others have said, pics don't do it justice! It is amazing rack!

But this is my biggest complaint. With 4 bikes total trying to reach that black bar is impossible. I have to lie on the floor to reach it. Does anybody have tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101 View Post
    Anyone with 3+ bikes have any tips on lowering and raising the bike rack w/out breaking a back?

W/ 3 bikes on, I have to stretch to reach the black bar to tilt the rack up or down. I tried putting my legs in between the rack, press on the black bar and then lift the rack up an d that seems to be more work because you have to make sure the rack doesn't tilt you over. It's not easy holding onto about 55lbs(25+15+15) on just one side of your body while bending over to sqeeze the black bar in.

I plan on adding a 3rd add-on for 4 bikes total, and once I do that, I need to find an easier way to lower/raise the rack while squeezing the black bar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    With 4 bikes, it's a two person job. Have someone hold the end up, then you have to step between the bikes to get a good grip on the bar. However, the whole thing is unwieldy and it is not a good idea to tip this rack down when fully loaded just like on any other 4 bike rack in similar circumstances. Think about it for minute - you have probably 120 lbs of bikes and rack that you are trying to "tilt". Is that something you really want to do? Answer: no.

Now imagine doing this with 4 bikes and a steel rack that weighs 80 lbs. That's 120 lbs of bike and 80 lbs of rack. Good luck with the 200 lb clean and jerk lift to pick it up - assuming you've actually been able to put it down as well.

If you are getting something out of the back of the car, it's a lot easier to remove one or two bikes and do it that way. It's so quick to load or unload the bikes, that it's easy and a lot less work.

The tilt really works well when empty - much easier to do and that enables you to tip the rack up when empty. That, IMO, is it's real function - tipping it up when empty.

J.

Page 46 of 94 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast