Page 45 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2347
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Subyroo651 View Post
    I have to agree on this, it is still very unnerving to see the bike getting blown all over at hwy speeds. I have a Subaru Legacy which is similiar in shape which causes the bikes to get pounded by the wind. I have starting using cam straps on as a safety connecting the arms to the wheels. Plus on long hwy trips I try to control the movement with a ratchet strap setup. Nothing really helps since you're essentially dragging the bike broadside through the wind.

I m buying a 2013 Outback so hopefully it won't be nearly as bad since its a wagon.
    I was thinking of some type of strap as well...care to post a link to what you're using? Are you attaching it to the car in the trunk seam...like a trunk mount rack would?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just use a toe clip strap. They work perfectly.

J.

mtbr member
    Naaaaa all you worriers need a roll of that packing plastic wrap to wrap all around your car and bike,then throw away your rear view mirror,put blinders on, or better yet put a blindfold on and let someone else drive that way you won't see anything to be scared of!!!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Sep 2010
    Just ordered mine! 2" 2 Bike carrier plus 2 add-ons.

Can't wait to get it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know the black anodized version has not been out for that long but has anyone experienced rub marks or exposed aluminum where the tires rest in the trays? Also, have you noticed the black fading at all?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What cable are you guys using to lock your bike to the rack? I was going to make my own from cable at the hardware store, but I want something nicer...maybe with an integrated lock.

Maybe a Yakima cable lock? Not sure which one would be best since some of them are specific for their racks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cables are too easy to cut. Hardened square/hexagonal profile chains are a bit slower to defeat.

beater
    I recently bought the single-bike rack with an add-on tray. I mounted mine on my 1995 Trooper this morning. I was hoping, but not expecting, that it would sit low enough to let me open the rear door, and have enough length that a bike would clear the spare tire without needing a hitch extension. I got lucky on both counts. Nice way to start the day.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Installed mine last night on a JSW TDi.

Things I love:
    Made in the USA!
    Looks beautiful. Very aircraft-quality looking.
    Holds any combination of 26ers and 29ers securely.
    Very small when folded. Love that it'll fit in a corner of the trunk if needed.
    1+1 configuration is perfect. I often transport any of 1-4 bikes. Between the add-on and 2 roof racks I can easily and quickly do any configuration. Love how it only takes 30 seconds to install or remove the extension.
    Super solid when mounted.
    Easy and quick bike loading/unloading.
    Glad it angles up. Clearance with even just the empty hitch is marginal on this car.
    I LOVE that it doesn't need a hitch pin. I need to adjust it out a tiny bit from full-in to clear the bumper when folded up, this mounting system allows fine adjustment.

Things I don't love:
    Has some sharp edges, be careful.
    The angle adjustment system is solid, but clumsy to use compared to some others.
    Cheaper would be nice.

Tips and suggestions:
    It comes with 2 of the special allen wrenches. Store one somewhere safe and keep the other in your car at all times.
    Before any road trip, check and tighten connectors and bolts.
    Buy the hitch bar stop. Not only will it make re-installation in the same spot each time trivial, it will give you instant visual feedback if the rack vibrates out even a small fraction of an inch.
    Buy a cheap u-lock to lock the rack to the hitch and some chain or cable to lock the bikes onto the u-lock. 2 birds with one stone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I pulled the trigger yesterday. Went ahead and spent the extra $100 on the black. Figured what the hell, I've been through 2 bike racks now (Swagman XC and Raxter) on the way to this one, and might as well get "the ultimate", and just be done with it.

-Tom

mtbr member
    AirKuhl- Thanks for the tips/suggestions. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Could those sharp edges be sanded at all with some really fine sandpaper or do you just have to deal with that?

trhoppe- I also spent the extra $100 on the black (1+1). It's just money, right?? I have a black car and black bike. I think it will look really nice.

This will be my first rack so I don't have much to compare it to, but I can't wait to get it. It is like Christmas!
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisfan76 View Post
    AirKuhl- Thanks for the tips/suggestions. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Could those sharp edges be sanded at all with some really fine sandpaper or do you just have to deal with that?

trhoppe- I also spent the extra $100 on the black (1+1). It's just money, right?? I have a black car and black bike. I think it will look really nice.

This will be my first rack so I don't have much to compare it to, but I can't wait to get it. It is like Christmas!
    Don't sand the edges on your black rack.
    You will sand through the black ano.
    The rack will be fine the way it is.

mtbr member
    Oh....good point!! I would have definitely thought that one through before doing it, but apparently I didn't think before typing (which is always a good thing to do). Thanks!
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member
    Mine arrived today. Almost hugged the UPS guy when he came to the door.

Installed the rack in about 5 mins -- took my time to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I plan to take it out for a spin tomorrow before I go on a 1,100 mile trip to AZ on Saturday.

Props to Robbie at 1up who patiently answered my many questions over the phone and helped me get the rack in time for my trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    my Honda Fit has plenty of internal capacity to carry another bike or two and the riders to ride them.
    I know this post is from 2010 but I just have to comment.. How the fk can you carry 2 bikes inside a Fit AND the riders to ride them when I can only comfortably put two bikes in my Grand Cherokee?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    I know this post is from 2010 but I just have to comment.. How the fk can you carry 2 bikes inside a Fit AND the riders to ride them when I can only comfortably put two bikes in my Grand Cherokee?
    You know that there is a way to send messages to one another without bumping old posts, right?

But, to answer your question:

1) I pack better than you
    2) The Fit may have more usable capacity than the GC
    3) Maybe you misinterpreted; I'm only talking about two bikes max inside the car. There definitely is space for two bikes and three riders inside the Fit. A bunch of extended trip gear and the definition of "comfortably" gets stretched, I'm sure.

FWIW, I did finally get another tray for my 1up because I was tired of taking off a front wheel.

Not my pic but just a proof of concept:

Pics are from: Honda Fit- the ultimate compact bike hauler?? <-Thanks to original posters for their images.

Anyhow, make sense now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm sold on this rack but I'm wondering if it'll work with front/rear racks on my future Surly Ogre??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ric426 View Post
    Well, I hope you're happy. You really did it now!
    Thanks to this thread (and the other reviews) I just ordered a silver single bike Quik Rack. I just bought a Ford Focus hatchback, and while I could fit one of my bikes in back, I could tell it was just a matter of time until I messed up the interior. I decided that for my purposes a rear tray rack makes more sense than a roof rack and the 1up racks look like the best choice for me.
    I sure appreciate the good advice I find here and in the other MTBR forums.
    Great choice! You ill be very happy with it. I am.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Patiently waiting for the UPS guy..... Started out with just a single in black. I had to get a hitch installed as well so i'm staggering my payments!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_O View Post
    Patiently waiting for the UPS guy..... Started out with just a single in black. I had to get a hitch installed as well so i'm staggering my payments!
    Oh, yay!! I got my hitch receiver installed last Saturday and the UPS man just delivered my rack. I've been anxiously tracking it all week. I did the black 1+1. I can't wait for the work day to end, so that I can bust it open & check it out. If I didn't have plans tonight, I'd be heading out somewhere to ride for sure. I guess I know what I will be doing all weekend. I better start early though because we are supposed to be in the triple digits. LOTS of water and sunscreen!!
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member
    Experienced today transporting a bike with a flat rear tire (spare tube ended up with a broken valve). Took some "engineering" but I secured the bike (nearest the car) without much drama.

All it took was a towel on the rear brake caliper as the folding arm was hitting it when in the normal position (since the tire was flat), I still could have moved it a bit to make it tighter but no go as the arm was hitting the frame/caliper (plus I had to deal with another bike in front for positioning).

Ended up using some velcro straps and tied the rear wheel down securely to the folding arm. No biggie, and I know people wondered how transporting with a flat would work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    You know that there is a way to send messages to one another without bumping old posts, right?

But, to answer your question:

1) I pack better than you
    2) The Fit may have more usable capacity than the GC
    3) Maybe you misinterpreted; I'm only talking about two bikes max inside the car. There definitely is space for two bikes and three riders inside the Fit. A bunch of extended trip gear and the definition of "comfortably" gets stretched, I'm sure.

FWIW, I did finally get another tray for my 1up because I was tired of taking off a front wheel.

Not my pic but just a proof of concept:

Pics are from: Honda Fit- the ultimate compact bike hauler?? <-Thanks to original posters for their images.

Anyhow, make sense now?
    Well, it's more fun to just say it out loud in the thread than PM'ing you.. well, I guess you just have a higher tolerance for scratches and derailleurs and disc brakes touching other things.. If I packed my GC that way, I would probably fit 8 bikes.. so no, no way a Fit has more "usable capacity"..don't get me wrong I'm not a Honda hater, I still have my semi-souped up 98 Civic hatchback..

But yeah, you are a better packer than I am..

Picture Unrelated
    Got a new car recently, put the old Yakima Double Down 4 on it and realized quickly that we need an improved rack. The Yak was a good rack, but with the various types of FS bikes we put on it regularly we had begun to really wear out it's usefulness. It would usually be a struggle to get 3 bikes on the thing let alone 4; 4 would usually require the removal of several of the front wheels as the suspension designs limited the number of ways bikes could be placed on the rack. Plus on the last trip home from Moab, my bike started to jump off the cradles which makes me very very uneasy; probably due to wearing out cradles or straps, but unacceptable none the less.

Of course, feeling like uncle moneybags with a new car (the truth is roughly the opposite right now) we decided to upgrade the rack to one that wouldn't terrify us and that could get us some more ground clearance and ability to take the bikes through some "rough" terrain. The 1up was the natural choice.

Opted for the 2 bike carrier because we plan on upgrading the rack to carry 4 bikes sometime in the future. Out of the box the thing is impressive. It's stout, clever, and impressively well made. It appears that the person who designed it had more experience in aerospace than they did in sports manufacturing because the details and fit and finish are impressive. It folds up nicely for the garage, and unfolds quickly to put on the car. The 2 bike Quick Rack isn't terribly light, but it's a little less cumbersome than the Yakima and is roughly the same weight on my calibrated arm scale.

Loading the bikes is straight forward, though it's so easy that I do find myself checking the rearview frequently to make sure the bikes are still there and doing ok; I'm sure I'll get used to it with time. The stability while driving is unreal. No swaying and no bouncing of the bikes. All of the other manufacturer's racks that I have used over the years all suffer some degree of rack sway; they say that it's a "feature" but it's always disconcerting to me. This rack does not sway: awesome.

My gripes include the fact that I don't trust that the hitch bolt is "theft proof". It's great to say it, and I don't doubt that they would replace the rack if required, but I would prefer not to have to go through that at all. Even an eyelet for a chain would be better than nothing at all. Plus a chain could give an easy to reach point to chain the bikes to the rack/car which is another pesudo-gripe of mine. I do have a cable lock that can reach 2 bikes and the hitch, but with 4 bikes it's going to take 2 locks. Small price to pay for a product that is designed to carry bikes to a destination and does it very well? Yeah, I suppose it is.

I've even had a chance to try out their customer service. I noticed after my first trip with the rack that there was a bolt missing which holds down one of the trays (1 of 4 bolts missing). I contacted 1up through their website form and the next morning had a response asking for a picture. I sent the picture and hours later they responded to my email with the pictures saying that they had shipped a replacement. Not only did they ship it quickly, it arrived quickly and with a spare bolt and the wrench to put it on. Very pleased with my decision to buy this rack so far.

P.S. The black looks good on a black car with my black bike. Guess I'll have to take a picture.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    For a secondary lock, like others, I plan to use a u lock around the hitch and the rack. For now, I've been keeping it in my trunk. I love the way it folds up nice and compact.

Kid disguised as an adult
    Well, you can add me to the list of happy Quik Rack owners. Mine arrived today and was on the car with my bike on it less than 5 minutes later. Took it for a test drive down our bumpy dirt road and everything was fine. Drove to my favorite trail and it took longer to get my riding shoes on than it did to take the bike off and get it ready to ride. I may have found another customer for 1up because I noticed a guy watching me when I finished my ride and put the bike on the rack in a matter of seconds. He came over to check it out and sounds like he's gonna get one too.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

Page 45 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 ... LastLast