Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

937K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#1,529 ·
I got to use mine to actually transport my bike (not riding yet, sadly), and it worked great. The squealing was much less than when I first used it too, so I might hold off on doing anything with it. Could be the combination of being brand new and bitter cold made it worse when I tried it before.

#1,530 ·
My wife finally got to laugh at me regarding the 1up. We walked out of a restaurant, that we were dining at, only to see 8 people gathered around my empty rack. I told her let's just stand back and watch to see if there are admiring or going to try and steal it. I was good either way as I bet they couldn't figure out how to steal it.

After 3 or 4 minutes it was obvious that they were admiring. I walk up and say "nice rack uhhh". One guy says yep but is it completely manual or is it automatic. I looked at him somewhat confused and said "manual"

He looked back at me and said "how do you lift the scooter up there".

I knew I would never here the end of it from my wife so I just went back in and got a beer...

#1,533 ·
She told me from day one that it looks like a scooter rack. What makes it worse is I sell medical equipment for a living so when I open my hatch-back there are walkers, oxygen tanks and CPAPs back there and I drive an old man SUV. I always figure others at the trail head will feel sorry for me and then I have dreams, in my head, of how surprised they will be when I get on my Yeti and rip the trail. I quickly wake from the dream once I hit the trail as I can't breath, my HR is 400 bpm and my legs feel like 100 lb weights...Maybe I should see if the rack will hold a scooter.

#1,535 ·
I don't think you can take a roof mounted model and use it as a hitch rack without some significant modifications as the mounting points on the trays are in different locations and the biggest thing, the roof mounted rack has a single try were the hitch rack tray is in 2 pieces so they can be folded for storage.

#1,541 ·
PSA: Check your release levers

I love my 1-up rack...that said, it almost dumped my bike. Apparently the lever released, allowing one arm to flop down away from the bike. One arm is not enough...my bike's handlebar end hit my rear window. Good thing it didn't break the window or fall the other way onto the street. Upon closer inspection, I think some grit got in the lever so it wasn't returning (it's supposed to grab the horizontal bar). I loosened the nylock nut and lubed the lever interface and it's working fine now. Be sure NOT to lube the horizontal bar the lever slides on (duh).

#1,544 ·
Securing the hitch rack to the car is solid. You could use some security nuts instead of the standard ones. They'll come with a non-standard tool to remove and install which will prevent someone "walking by" with a crescent or socket. But, like everything else, if someone wants it, it will only slow them down. Google "security nuts" and you're good to go.

#1,545 ·
A scary, but ultimately funny thing happened to me. I was driving down the 10 freeway in LA and I looked in the rear view mirror in heavy traffic (no shock there). To my horror... my MTB was missing! I thought I was screwed and would have to buy a new bike. I pulled over to the shoulder, hopped out of the car and realized that the rack was not engaged in the street parallel position, but rather had tilted down towards the street hiding the bike from view. I'm sure it was user error, but, boy did I get a scare.

#1,546 ·
I think I would have a heart attack right there behind the wheel if I thought my $4000+ bike fell off. Good to know the rack can still carry a bike in that position...not that you would ever have to.

#1,548 ·
Has the price on these ever changed? I finally saw a black one in person today and kind of want it now, but seeing how there's no used marked on these yet here in So Cal, I'm having a hard time justifying $350 for a one bike rack for now.

someone a while back mentioned they had them on ebay for a $100 off?

#1,549 ·
Has the price on these ever changed? I finally saw a black one in person today and kind of want it now, but seeing how there's no used marked on these yet here in So Cal, I'm having a hard time justifying $350 for a one bike rack for now.

someone a while back mentioned they had them on ebay for a $100 off?
They had them on eBay but was for the same price.

#1,564 ·
I wanted to see how both of those compare (price wise) too.

I emailed Rat Rack and was told by Loyal (the owner) that they make those custom to order and don't ship down here to the US.

Arbutus emailed back with this:

"Hello,

Thanks for your inquiry but we've switched over to an arrangement with another manufacturer for a 2013 product line, based on similar technology, but with some innovative folding and bike retention features. These should be available through regular retail channels in Spring 2013: Vertical Hitch Racks « Swagman

Contact Rob at Swagman if you'd like to know more: robm@swagman.net

Thanks,
Strahan Loken"

So thanks to this thread, I ordered a silver 2 carrier...thanks everyone, now how to tell my wife?

#1,561 ·
All this discussion prompted me to look over my rack. Just curious what parts did cut some of you guys? On mine, the wheel rails, pivoting support beams, and all the chunkiest pieces in the middle are nicely chamfered (just slightly) so no sharp edges there. The only area on mine that appears to be potentially sharp is the horizontal rail the slide-lock moves on. Is this where the danger zone is?

#1,567 ·
Man you guys suck. After browsing all 63 pages I caved and ordered a 1Up. I was set on ordering a hang and swing for two bikes (budget reasons) but I think I'll be happy with this more. For now ill just throw the second bike in the car.
I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy so time to order a supplemental lock for it. No telling when another 1Up owner might get greedy and use their tool to take mine.

#1,573 ·
Can you tell the difference? :)

I've got a question for you rack owners. How far will this rack need to engage into the receiver hitch? I'm building a custom bumper with an integrated 1 1/4" receiver to haul bikes so I want to make sure that this thing will fit when I get around to getting one.

Also if you could measure the height (vertical offset) from the receiver to the first bike tray. It looks to be in the 6-8" range but I'm putting this on a lowered bug so I wanna make sure I'm not too close to the ground.

Thanks!!
The top of the receiver to the first bike tray is about 8". The distance from the receiver to the bike tray is about 12.5".

#1,570 · (Edited)
I've got a question for you rack owners. How far will this rack need to engage into the receiver hitch? I'm building a custom bumper with an integrated 1 1/4" receiver to haul bikes so I want to make sure that this thing will fit when I get around to getting one.

Also if you could measure the height (vertical offset) from the receiver to the first bike tray. It looks to be in the 6-8" range but I'm putting this on a lowered bug so I wanna make sure I'm not too close to the ground.

Thanks!!

#1,571 ·

Thanks!!
I would say at least 3" deep.

#1,572 ·
Finally got my new 1Up today. Stupid easy to setup out of the box. I have the add-on, too, but only have one tray on for now.

Oh yeah, I sliced the piss out of my hand on the sharp edges. I even knew to look for them and it still bit me. Not a big deal.

Looks good with a Stache on board.

#1,574 ·
This is for the 2" rack, so I don't know if the 1 1/4" has the same measurements in terms of how far in it needs to engage the receiver hitch. The instructions say to insert it 2" past the locking ball. I wasn't sure whether that meant from the center of the ball or from the edge of it, so I made my mark at the edge, which means I go in at least 4.5". It would be 4" in if you measured from the center of the ball....

Again, maybe the 1 1/4" has different specs, so perhaps tonyride1 was right with a 3" estimate, but for the 2" rack that is not enough per 1upUSA specs... The company is easy to get a hold of by phone (probably by email too) - unless someone else with a 1 1/4" can confirm, I would call them for sure before building anything!

(The dotted line is the 2" from the end of ball mark - I make sure that line is hidden. I make sure I can still see the solid line when installed - in that position, the rack can be folded vertically and I can still open my Q7's rear hatch. :cool:)

#1,576 ·
LOL wow , i cant imagine how you guys cut yourself? Where are you holding the rack by and how are you operating it ? Just by looking at the rack and the material its made of you should know based off common sense to be careful with it. Not for nothing but those scratches look like cat claws or something from a simple small spill on a trail . Suck it up and get over it . You can also sand down edges as most have said or you can even apply some type of self adhesive to the edges. You guys even said you have read somewhere about the edges so you were already cautioned about it . Learn to operate the rack properly and with my caution , or carry some hello kitty bandaids with ya :) ..

As for greasing up the slide arms , i would just run some alcohol on them to clean them up .. The noise might be annoying but hey it works .

#1,580 ·
After looking at photos, admit ..... This is a good question. I have a 1Up and it is very stable and secure. Nothing on this rack is thin or flimsy. The aluminum bars are plenty rigid. Even in the event of a slow leak, I believe the 1Up would hold a bike as well or better than every other design. I have used 1Up for about six months after ten years with high end roof racks and will never go back.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

#1,583 · (Edited)
UPS just delivered my Quik Rack. WOW. Very substantial. The pictures online are deceiving until you get it in your hands. There's a lot of meat to it. Worth the $$$? You bet now that I own one. I took it out of the box and threw on the hitch and my bike on it ready to go in less than a minute. No joke. Initial impressions are very secure.
The flat aluminum bars you speak of holding up the arms are about 5.8mm thick. The arms themselves are about 9.3mm thick. I just measured them with my digital calipers. They aren't thin like pictures depict.
Oh and cuts? What cuts? I man handled the $h!t out of the rack and did not receive one cut on my hands.

(Disregard the missing rear shock. It's out for a custom tune.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.