Page 39 of 92 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My Forester is an '11. I think I paid less than the current price for it:

Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 13147 Class III Receiver: Automotive

ETA: According to Curt, the one above won't fit your '01 Forester. They only have Class II hitches for the '01.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Here's 4 bikes on the rack that was sold to handle 4 then and 3 now. This is in a 2" receiver.
    And judging by my add on tray - they have also beefed up the add on. I would guess for stiffness, not so much for ultimate strength.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi View Post
    My Forester is an '11. I think I paid less than the current price for it:

Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 13147 Class III Receiver: Automotive

ETA: According to Curt, the one above won't fit your '01 Forester. They only have Class II hitches for the '01.
    I know that it won't. A while back I had found one bolt on hitch for my car that was a 2" receiver but was still rated class II. I don't care about the towing capacity or the class of the hitch. The most I will ever use it for is 2 bikes on a rack as I already have a roof rack on my car. I am going for the low cost shuttle and road trip car.

Sent from my mobile telephone.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish0281 View Post

Also, it's disconcerting that there isn't a hitch pin - there's a reason everything on your car is bolted together and even then stuff comes undone. That eliminates 1up as an option for me.
    I too was of that logic last season when I was looking at racks (always thinking the worst lol). But I am glad I bought the 1up 2 bike combo last year. I just couldn't stomach paying a little less or even the same in some instances for the Thule/Yakima/Kuat steel garbage offerings at the time. Mine still looks new, operates flawlessly, and never had a problem with mine. And always get numerous comments/questions at the trail head parking lot about it.

But to make me sleep better at night, I have a Kryptonite mini U-lock going thru the rack and the hitch metal loop, so even if the locking bolt ever fails, the rack isn't going to slide out anywhere, there's basically less than an inch of leeway with this, and still safely inserted in my hitch.

And disregard the red strap, no longer in use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Color?

I'm thinking about ordering one of these racks soon, single quick rack, but can't decide between silver or black. I know the black is $50 more and I do like the looks of it, but how does the color hold up over time? It would seem like the various moving parts on the rack might cause the finish to wear off. The rack won't be sitting out in weather much as I'll it off after each ride. For what it's worth this is for a white Toyota Tacoma with factory tow hitch.

ballbuster

Black looks swank....

Quote Originally Posted by MondoRock View Post
    I'm thinking about ordering one of these racks soon, single quick rack, but can't decide between silver or black. I know the black is $50 more and I do like the looks of it, but how does the color hold up over time? It would seem like the various moving parts on the rack might cause the finish to wear off. The rack won't be sitting out in weather much as I'll it off after each ride. For what it's worth this is for a white Toyota Tacoma with factory tow hitch.

.. but silver hides the scratches and what will be the tire wear spots. I'm not sure how deep the anodizing goes (varies by mfgr) but it's usually only a couple microns thick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey guys, after browsing this thread, I'm pretty much convinced that I'll be getting this rack. My only concern is, how about legibility/visibility of the license plate while on the tray up (no bikes on) position? I drive a Honda Element and found some pics online that with the 2 bike rack (the one that I want) it looks like it blocks the view. I understand that this probably will be the same with any rack/Honda Element scenario. So, is not so much about the rack itself, but since I'm pretty sure I'll get this one, I'll just ask here. Has anybody with obstructed view of the plate had any "encounters" with law enforcement. BTW, I'm in Texas, did some research, but couldn't find anything other than messing with the license plate itself. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeque View Post
    Hey guys, after browsing this thread, I'm pretty much convinced that I'll be getting this rack. My only concern is, how about legibility/visibility of the license plate while on the tray up (no bikes on) position? I drive a Honda Element and found some pics online that with the 2 bike rack (the one that I want) it looks like it blocks the view. I understand that this probably will be the same with any rack/Honda Element scenario. So, is not so much about the rack itself, but since I'm pretty sure I'll get this one, I'll just ask here. Has anybody with obstructed view of the plate had any "encounters" with law enforcement. BTW, I'm in Texas, did some research, but couldn't find anything other than messing with the license plate itself. Thanks!
    Nope.

Here people even often don't put on a front plate on their car because of looks and there aren't any problems.

J.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I've tried 2 or 3 hitch racks on my Honda Element and thus far I haven't been able to find one that is low enough to clear my tailgate when it's down (and the rack has no bikes on it).

Anyone running one of these on a Honda Element and can confirm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey Acadian,

While doing my research I found two. I can't link yet, but here they are.

If you Google: Honda element 1up usa - you'll find one on the Element owners club.

If you Google: Kuat NV - you'll see the review from Cracks and Racks, were they used a Honda Element for their test.

Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    .. but silver hides the scratches and what will be the tire wear spots. I'm not sure how deep the anodizing goes (varies by mfgr) but it's usually only a couple microns thick.
    Thanks for your input! Decided to place an order for Silver. Maybe I'll get lucky and have it by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

BOOOOYA!!!!! Such an awesome rack

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just wanted to say how pleased I am with how quick I received my rack. I placed an order online Monday evening and it was shipped the next day along with tracking info by email, and I received the shipment today (Friday). Awesome. About to open the box and check it out.

talentless hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    I've tried 2 or 3 hitch racks on my Honda Element and thus far I haven't been able to find one that is low enough to clear my tailgate when it's down (and the rack has no bikes on it).

It does work just fine. You do have to tilt the rack down but it clears with no problem that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You can't stick candles in a cowpie and call it a birthday cake.

ballbuster

You're nearby...

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post

If you find your way up to Oakland, you're welcome to try mine out.

Hey, on second thought. IIRC you can just buy one, and for whatever weird reason you don't like it, I think they'll pay for shipping back.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    If you find your way up to Oakland, you're welcome to try mine out.

Hey, on second thought. IIRC you can just buy one, and for whatever weird reason you don't like it, I think they'll pay for shipping back.
    I just saw that Mike Solis has one on his Element - will ask him once he's back from Boggs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Do you worry about flats?

I've had my 1up USA quik-rack double for about a year now, and love it. I'm about to order 2 more single add-ons, now that the kids are using full size bikes.
    Do any of you worry about losing tire pressure when the bike is in the rack? I know, it seems unlikely, but the problem is that the consequences are quite dire. Maybe a slow leak after a ride, or a blow out... I think about it a bit more now, since I run tubeless, and just had a Rocket Ron blow off (ripped bead) while coasting on the road. If that ever happened while transporting in the rack, I'm afraid my bike would be all over the road.
    Anyone else worry about that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrieve View Post
    I've had my 1up USA quik-rack double for about a year now, and love it. I'm about to order 2 more single add-ons, now that the kids are using full size bikes.
    Do any of you worry about losing tire pressure when the bike is in the rack? I know, it seems unlikely, but the problem is that the consequences are quite dire. Maybe a slow leak after a ride, or a blow out... I think about it a bit more now, since I run tubeless, and just had a Rocket Ron blow off (ripped bead) while coasting on the road. If that ever happened while transporting in the rack, I'm afraid my bike would be all over the road.
    It happened once to me and the bike was fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    After a recent ride one of the red handles on my 1up rack was so loose it was almost falling off. Both of the two bolts holding it on were extremely loose, and had I driven a few more miles it probably would have fallen off completely. I added some blue Loctite and hopefully that will hold, but when I get a chance I need to check all the bolts on it. Frustratingly, they seem to be standard (not metric), so I can't effectively use my milti-tool to work on it. I don't think I even own a set of non-metric allen wrenches.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    ...Frustratingly, they seem to be standard (not metric), so I can't effectively use my milti-tool to work on it. I don't think I even own a set of non-metric allen wrenches.
    I had the same frustration! This is one of my few gripes because I've also had some nuts/bolts loosen up over time and I'm in the habit of checking them every so often. This usually means a run to Harbor Freight for a set of cheapo standard allens. Lame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Put the bike on the rack, tighten it down, and then deflate the tire (or tires) and see what happens...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have the same concern, running tubeless also, I did see a picture somewhere, the guy actually put some hitch pins in the adjustable mount holes on the rack arms between the spokes...if the tires were to deflate, at least the bike would stay on the rack, not a bad idea, maybe just some bolts with nylon locking nuts or some type of strap...maybe someone has had a better idea...please share. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I wrap one of these around the back tire and the arm holding it down - kind of a "remove before flight" flag. It reminds me to tighten down the arms, shows me I did tighten down the arms if I get paranoid while driving, and if a tire deflates or bolt works loose it will keep the bike secure.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwiktwist-Gian...4&sr=8-2-fkmr0

RideDirt
    You guys are WAY over thinking this too much.. If your tires are going to be that flat , i am pretty positive you will notice it BEFORE it goes on the rack .

First of all you should always check your bike before and after every ride anyways.

Also, its not very hard to check the rack for any loose bolts or nuts , its pretty simple .

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm having a hard time seeing the over-thinking here.

While you are checking over your bike, ensuring there are no slow leaks in the tires (how do you do that, bring a tub of water with you, only ride near creeks, maybe only go on short trips?), checking all the bolts on the rack, and making sure you don't make a mistake tightening down your bike, it takes me 1 second to put the twisty on and I'm ready to go.

Over-thinking or a time saving convenience - I'm going with the latter

Page 39 of 92 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast