Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

938K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#1,085 ·
1Up suggested greasing the ball. If you look at the design of the expanding tightened, some grease on the ball will not reduce the friction/pressure that the ball exerts on the receiver. Also most of the friction and pressure come from the sides of the bar against the receiver and the downward force caused by the weight of the rack and bikes.

#1,086 ·
Not sure if this has been mentioned already. So far love the rack, however I have encountered a flaw.

The stainless bolts that hold the cam arm to the upright arms are weak, inherent to being stainless. I've now broken two of them. One while putting the bike on and then another sheared when I tried to remove it.

I have since replaced the bolts with grade 5 plated bolts and nylock nuts. If these bolts were to fail on the freeway it would be seriously bad news.

For clarity the bolts I am talking about:

Check those bolts!

#1,872 ·
For clarity the bolts I am talking about:

I'm having issue with those same bolts removing sidewall rubber from my 4.8" Bud/Lou tires on my XXL Moonlander. I do have the 1up fat tire spacer kit installed.

I'm gonna try flipping the bolts around so that bolt heads face in and the rubber-munching nuts face out.

Just a heads up to you big Moonlander folk!

#1,087 ·
Well, I hope you're happy. You really did it now!
Thanks to this thread (and the other reviews) I just ordered a silver single bike Quik Rack. I just bought a Ford Focus hatchback, and while I could fit one of my bikes in back, I could tell it was just a matter of time until I messed up the interior. I decided that for my purposes a rear tray rack makes more sense than a roof rack and the 1up racks look like the best choice for me.
I sure appreciate the good advice I find here and in the other MTBR forums.

#1,089 ·
Anyone have any maintenance tips for this rack? My cam arms seem to have a little wear on them (kind of a surface grittiness) that I was thinking about smoothing out with some superfine steel wool. What about lubrication?

Thanks for the tip a few posts above about the bolts (BTW, where did you get the bolts/nylock nuts -- Home Depot?)

#1,090 ·
Is there any concern about the force of the wind blowing perpendicular to the bike and the rack's arms? I just purchased one (like everyone else it is the best rack on the market), however today going about 75mph on the highway the bike looked like it was being pushed over...this of course from the rear view mirror. In my case it is mounted to an impala so there is a lot of bike still above the trunk lid.

#1,093 ·
Thought I would chime in about the 1-up. I likemine for sure and I'll second all the positive things people have already mentioned. However, I just have one issue with it and it's interesting to hear that others have had a similar issue: my bolt loosens up all the time. I'll get it tight as it can be and after 30 miles driving to the trailhead it will be loose to the point that I can slide the whole thing out with a little bit of wiggling. I've been using mine for year and I haven't lost a bike yet :). Maybe that little bit of friction is all it needs but it does make you nervous if you know what I mean.

#1,094 ·
Tighten the bolt with allen key by hand first then take a rubber mallet and tap it tight a couple more turns.(grease the ball bearing on the rack first) Then to remove tap the allen wrench with rubber mallet to loosen. :thumbsup: has never come loose since doing it this way.

#1,097 ·
I've also had the retention mechanism (the ball in the hitch bar) loosen up once after thousands of miles without problem. I sent it back to 1up (on their dime, of course) and they said that one of the internal components had worn out. Perhaps yours is experiencing a similar situation?

I should get mine back Monday and will have a full report. I would suggest that using a mallet to achieve enough torque is never the "best" option.

#1,103 ·
Naaaaa all you worriers need a roll of that packing plastic wrap to wrap all around your car and bike,then throw away your rear view mirror,put blinders on, or better yet put a blindfold on and let someone else drive that way you won't see anything to be scared of!!!

#1,105 ·
I know the black anodized version has not been out for that long but has anyone experienced rub marks or exposed aluminum where the tires rest in the trays? Also, have you noticed the black fading at all?

#1,106 ·
What cable are you guys using to lock your bike to the rack? I was going to make my own from cable at the hardware store, but I want something nicer...maybe with an integrated lock.

Maybe a Yakima cable lock? Not sure which one would be best since some of them are specific for their racks.

#1,109 ·
Installed mine last night on a JSW TDi.

Things I love:
Made in the USA!
Looks beautiful. Very aircraft-quality looking.
Holds any combination of 26ers and 29ers securely.
Very small when folded. Love that it'll fit in a corner of the trunk if needed.
1+1 configuration is perfect. I often transport any of 1-4 bikes. Between the add-on and 2 roof racks I can easily and quickly do any configuration. Love how it only takes 30 seconds to install or remove the extension.
Super solid when mounted.
Easy and quick bike loading/unloading.
Glad it angles up. Clearance with even just the empty hitch is marginal on this car.
I LOVE that it doesn't need a hitch pin. I need to adjust it out a tiny bit from full-in to clear the bumper when folded up, this mounting system allows fine adjustment.

Things I don't love:
Has some sharp edges, be careful.
The angle adjustment system is solid, but clumsy to use compared to some others.
Cheaper would be nice.

Tips and suggestions:
It comes with 2 of the special allen wrenches. Store one somewhere safe and keep the other in your car at all times.
Before any road trip, check and tighten connectors and bolts.
Buy the hitch bar stop. Not only will it make re-installation in the same spot each time trivial, it will give you instant visual feedback if the rack vibrates out even a small fraction of an inch.
Buy a cheap u-lock to lock the rack to the hitch and some chain or cable to lock the bikes onto the u-lock. 2 birds with one stone.

#1,111 ·
AirKuhl- Thanks for the tips/suggestions. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Could those sharp edges be sanded at all with some really fine sandpaper or do you just have to deal with that?

trhoppe- I also spent the extra $100 on the black (1+1). It's just money, right?? I have a black car and black bike. I think it will look really nice.

This will be my first rack so I don't have much to compare it to, but I can't wait to get it. It is like Christmas!

#1,112 ·
AirKuhl- Thanks for the tips/suggestions. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Could those sharp edges be sanded at all with some really fine sandpaper or do you just have to deal with that?

trhoppe- I also spent the extra $100 on the black (1+1). It's just money, right?? I have a black car and black bike. I think it will look really nice.

This will be my first rack so I don't have much to compare it to, but I can't wait to get it. It is like Christmas!
Don't sand the edges on your black rack.
You will sand through the black ano.
The rack will be fine the way it is.

#1,114 ·
Mine arrived today. Almost hugged the UPS guy when he came to the door.

Installed the rack in about 5 mins -- took my time to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I plan to take it out for a spin tomorrow before I go on a 1,100 mile trip to AZ on Saturday.

Props to Robbie at 1up who patiently answered my many questions over the phone and helped me get the rack in time for my trip. :thumbsup:

#1,120 ·
Oh, yay!! I got my hitch receiver installed last Saturday and the UPS man just delivered my rack. I've been anxiously tracking it all week. I did the black 1+1. I can't wait for the work day to end, so that I can bust it open & check it out. If I didn't have plans tonight, I'd be heading out somewhere to ride for sure. I guess I know what I will be doing all weekend. I better start early though because we are supposed to be in the triple digits. LOTS of water and sunscreen!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.