Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 3087
  1. #1401
    Proud American
    Reputation: bluejudad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I haven't actually measured the wrench, but unless it is a non-standard size, you can indeed buy it. Not at Home Depot or Lowe's, but it is possible.

    That said, it is very unlikely that any random thief will have a wrench that fits on their person. It definitely isn't something that I'd worry about.
    I was told: "We make our own wrenches which are not available anywhere in stores. We have never had a customer's rack get stolen to our knowledge yet."

    Regardless.... I agree with you. It seems highly unlikely anyone would have it (save a fellow 1UP owner, kinda funny). It actually says on their website that they would replace a stolen one. I'm very pleased with this company's product and customer support to date.

  2. #1402
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    It is a custom security hex tool...

    mcmaster carr has them, but only to 1/4". Don't see anything on Snap-on's site

  3. #1403
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    My reasoning for attaching the U-lock to the bike rack and trailer hitch is to prevent another person with the custom hex tool (1upusa bike rack owner) from stealing my rack.

  4. #1404
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    My reasoning for attaching the U-lock to the bike rack and trailer hitch is to prevent another person with the custom hex tool (1upusa bike rack owner) from stealing my rack.
    That's what I'm afraid of.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  5. #1405
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14
    What are you trying to say about 1up rack owners?
    Do you really think that a person that would buy that expensive of a bike rack would be out stealing them?

  6. #1406
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    My reasoning for attaching the U-lock to the bike rack and trailer hitch is to prevent another person with the custom hex tool (1upusa bike rack owner) from stealing my rack.
    If you got the add-on... do you have another U-lock to secure that?

  7. #1407
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of.
    Uh, if the custom tool was made by 1UpUSA (it is) and if it comes with the rack, why would someone who owns the rack want to steal yours? Isn't that a really, really, really small population of rack thieves?

    J.

  8. #1408
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14
    Do we think that there are a lot of rack thieves out there?

  9. #1409
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Uh, if the custom tool was made by 1UpUSA (it is) and if it comes with the rack, why would someone who owns the rack want to steal yours? Isn't that a really, really, really small population of rack thieves?

    J.
    Granted, the chances of that happening is very low but it gives me a piece of mind. Just paranoid I guess.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  10. #1410
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    664
    This is right off there web page. "We are so confident that our security system will prevent rack theft that if your Quik-Rack is stolen off your vehicle we will replace it for FREE!"

    I would worry more about the bike on the rack than the rack.

  11. #1411
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Guess I should be even more paranoid then as recently I lost my key. Pretty sure I left it in one of the trays and went on my way and fell off somewhere between the house and the trail parking lot. Never did find it as I went back that night and didn't see it, it's still probably somewhere on the side of the road. As for the key, 1UP will sell you extra ones for $10/each.
    konahonzo

  12. #1412
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    Granted, the chances of that happening is very low but it gives me a piece of mind. Just paranoid I guess.
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

    Then again, since 1UpUSA guarantees to replace the rack if it's stolen, I'd not worry about it. Heck you could call them and ask them how many times they've had to make good on that claim. My bet is zero.

    J.

  13. #1413
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

    Then again, since 1UpUSA guarantees to replace the rack if it's stolen, I'd not worry about it. Heck you could call them and ask them how many times they've had to make good on that claim. My bet is zero.

    J.
    It's not the rack I'm worried about. It's my $4000+ bike mounted to it that I'm worried about. It they take the rack, they'll also have the bike and I doubt 1up USA will replace that, too. Yes, I can lock the bike to the rack but they'll have plenty of time removing the lock once they have the whole thing in their possession.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  14. #1414
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    There is no help for that. A battery powered reciprocating saw would be through that aluminum rack in less than 30 seconds, or any rack for that matter.

    No rack will protect that bike from theft.

    Besides that, imagine the image of a bike thief dragging your rack AND the bike down the street. The fact is, they will concentrate on stealing the bike and they won't give a rip about the rack.

    Bolt cutters will make a <10s job of a cable to attach the bike to the car/rack.

    J.

  15. #1415
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    The replacement warranty does make me feel better about the rack getting stolen. However, there's no way I would ever leave my bike unattended on the bike rack. Locked, shackled, whatever... My baby is always in eyesight of me or a friend.

  16. #1416
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    I swear a pre-req for owning this rack is overwhelming paranoia

  17. #1417
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I swear a pre-req for owning this rack is overwhelming paranoia
    I also wear a aluminum foil helmet when I ride....

  18. #1418
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    I guess everyone's situation is different. In my area (greater NYC) there are lots of professional bike thieves who would go around in cargo vans and target expensive bikes. Just the other week I read that they caught people with 2 vans full of "high end" bikes that were obviously stolen. So they have no problems taking bikes still attached to racks and throwing them in the van and take off for their "chop shop". I don't usually keep my bike on the rack but at times it is unavoidable. After our rides we usually to grab a bite to eat so we're forced to leave the bike on the rack while in the restaurant. We also go on long trips with our bikes so at times they're left on the rack unattended either at rest stops, restaurants, etc. I think an ounce of prevention is worth it's weight in gold. I know no locks will always prevent a professional bike thief from taking it but a little bit of deterrent will keep an honest man honest.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  19. #1419
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5

    1UP bike rack OK for road/touring bikes?

    Hi, guys -

    Thanks for all your great feedback! I'm nearly sold on the 1UP as a bike rack for loading my heaving cruiser/touring bike onto my 2012 Mazda 3 5-door hatchback.

    Last question - has anyone put a regular road bike (i.e. a bike with slim tires) on the 1UP rack? I might have reason to also lug a lighter-weight bike on this rack. However, I'm not sure if a slimmer-tire'ed bike will sit securely on the 1UP and not shimmy back and forth on this rack. All the pictures I've seen of the rack show it holding mountain bikes with fat tire.

    Any input?

    Thanks!!
    BigSky3

  20. #1420
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,684
    Any bike with any tire size, or width, fits on the 1Up rack. No worries, it works like a charm.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

  21. #1421
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    I also wear a aluminum foil helmet when I ride....
    Wise

  22. #1422
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky3 View Post
    Hi, guys -

    Thanks for all your great feedback! I'm nearly sold on the 1UP as a bike rack for loading my heaving cruiser/touring bike onto my 2012 Mazda 3 5-door hatchback.

    Last question - has anyone put a regular road bike (i.e. a bike with slim tires) on the 1UP rack? I might have reason to also lug a lighter-weight bike on this rack. However, I'm not sure if a slimmer-tire'ed bike will sit securely on the 1UP and not shimmy back and forth on this rack. All the pictures I've seen of the rack show it holding mountain bikes with fat tire.

    Any input?

    Thanks!!
    BigSky3
    Do it all the time. Works great. I carry my road bike on this all the time.

    J.

  23. #1423
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    I guess everyone's situation is different. In my area (greater NYC) there are lots of professional bike thieves who would go around in cargo vans and target expensive bikes. Just the other week I read that they caught people with 2 vans full of "high end" bikes that were obviously stolen. So they have no problems taking bikes still attached to racks and throwing them in the van and take off for their "chop shop". I don't usually keep my bike on the rack but at times it is unavoidable. After our rides we usually to grab a bite to eat so we're forced to leave the bike on the rack while in the restaurant. We also go on long trips with our bikes so at times they're left on the rack unattended either at rest stops, restaurants, etc. I think an ounce of prevention is worth it's weight in gold. I know no locks will always prevent a professional bike thief from taking it but a little bit of deterrent will keep an honest man honest.
    If there are professional bike thieves around, they have bolt cutters and reciprocating saws. Either one will make short work of any rack or method of locking your bike to the rack. There is little you can do to stop these guys - they specialize in getting it gone in under 60 seconds (usually way under). They aren't going to steal your rack, they are going to take your bike. The rack is the least of your worries.

    As far as rest stops and restaurants on most highways. Once out of urban areas, the risk is considerably down. No matter what, at rest stops leave someone with the car and if you stop to get something to eat, park the car right by the window where you are eating so you can watch it.

    Have good insurance and, if you want, a cable to lock the bike to prevent casual theft as long as you are watching your stuff.

    Living in NYC, you need to get out a bit. The rest of the world is not quite like that (by a long ways) for bike theft. You are in the belly of the beast.

    J.

  24. #1424
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FloriDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    I've looked a few times and had yet to find just what I wanted for a lock to lock my 1UP rack to my Mazda 3. Found one today so thought I'd post it up for others that may be looking for the same.

    (I know it's doubtful anyone would have the needed tool to remove the rack from the hitch, but at the price of this rack and how quickly it can be removed if you DO have the right tool, it will make me feel better when my car is sitting at a remote trailhead and I'm out riding)

    I stopped in at Walmart and they had a BELL Pocket U-Lock that fits PERFECTLY. They had blue and silver colors and it's a heavy little chunk of steel.
    Most of the U-locks I've seen seem to big, at least on my small Mazda.

    Below are pictures of exactly what I bought.






  25. #1425
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,643
    That looks like a good fit, but it's no smaller than the Kryptonite mini-U lock that was mentioned earlier. It looks slightly longer, in fact.

    I don't use my U-lock all that frequently, but it's nice to have it on hand for when I want the option.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  26. #1426
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FloriDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    That looks like a good fit, but it's no smaller than the Kryptonite mini-U lock that was mentioned earlier. It looks slightly longer, in fact.

    I don't use my U-lock all that frequently, but it's nice to have it on hand for when I want the option.

    I actually had missed the Kryptonite link, haven't been through this thread in a while. I do see the Kryptonite is $46, and the Bell lock I got was under $10. Anyway, it's one more option.

  27. #1427
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14
    What locks your hitch to your car?

  28. #1428
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by slow450 View Post
    What locks your hitch to your car?
    Your trailer hitch assembly is bolted to your car. I drive a Nissan altima. The uhual installer had to remove my mufflers and bolt it in. The bolts are accessed through the trunk of my car.

  29. #1429
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by slow450 View Post
    What locks your hitch to your car?
    Is this a serious question?
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  30. #1430
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by FloriDave View Post
    I actually had missed the Kryptonite link, haven't been through this thread in a while. I do see the Kryptonite is $46, and the Bell lock I got was under $10. Anyway, it's one more option.
    My original intent was to also use a U type lock to lock the rack to the receiver but the design of the side loops on the receiver for my Accord doesn't allow me to lock it that way. The receiver on my wife's RAV4 will work but not on the Accord so I have to use a cable lock to secure the rack.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  31. #1431
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    Why do you think you need to add a lock to the rack?

    J.

  32. #1432
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Why do you think you need to add a lock to the rack?

    J.
    Peace of mind.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  33. #1433
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    LOL.

    Ok, I guess.

    J.

  34. #1434
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    As I said earlier, paranoia is a prerequisite for ownership.

  35. #1435
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,068
    Just because you ARE paranoid doesn't mean that they AREN'T out to get you.

    But I wish you peace and not having to worry so much. The standard special tool is security enough.

    J.

  36. #1436
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    124
    !!!KAPOW!!!
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358559003.902245.jpg

    Fatties fit fine (to steal a phrase).

    Love it. Beats all the other racks I've tried. Will be ordering add-ons fer sure.

  37. #1437
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    580
    Just received a black 1Up rack and mounted to my wife's 2002 Acura RSX. Definitely an improvement over the Thule trunk rack that (by design), latched over the glass. Although never any issues, visions of shattered glass and an airborne Mojo SL made me pull the trigger on the 1Up.

    Build quality is exceptional and I was surprised at how lightweight the rack is. Setup was a breeze and the rack locked into the hitch without any play.

    The only concern I have is that when I mount my Mojo SL to the rack, there is a fair amount of side to side play. The arms are snug on the tires, bike even between arms, and arms as close to 90* as possible.

    After looking closer, it seems like this play comes from the notches where you can change the orientation of the rack. (horizontal, or tilted down to access the trunk).

    Is this normal? I assume I'm just being paranoid, but seeing the bike "wiggle" in the rear-view mirror (even over small bumps) is a bit unnerving.

  38. #1438
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ianick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    After looking closer, it seems like this play comes from the notches where you can change the orientation of the rack. (horizontal, or tilted down to access the trunk).

    Is this normal? I assume I'm just being paranoid, but seeing the bike "wiggle" in the rear-view mirror (even over small bumps) is a bit unnerving.
    Are you tightening the black screw clamp down on the bar that slides in to those notches? I notice my rack has much more play before it is tightened down.

  39. #1439
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Are you tightening the black screw clamp down on the bar that slides in to those notches? I notice my rack has much more play before it is tightened down.
    Yup. I noticed a big decrease in the wobble when I tightened that black knob (behind the bar). Unfortunately, I still get wobble somewhere.

    I've now notched a few 2hr driving trips with the bike loaded (up to 80mph) and although the bike is wobbling a bit, the arms are staying locked (not moving on the tires at all) so I guess there's no issues.

    I'm just curious since everyone raves about no wobble. If you grab the top of the bike frame and try to move forward and back, how much movement do you other guys see with your 1up?

  40. #1440
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Wow. Sweet Fatbike!

    Yeah, it was an added bonus to see that a Fatbike fits in these racks just fine. I had to let a bit of air out of the tires, but that's not a big deal. I brought a Pugsley down from one friend who was selling one to another who was going to drive it to somebody else in SoCal. Easy Peasy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    !!!KAPOW!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358559003.902245.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	754124

    Fatties fit fine (to steal a phrase).

    Love it. Beats all the other racks I've tried. Will be ordering add-ons fer sure.

  41. #1441
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    If you mean left to right, none.

    If you mean towards the front of the car and the rear of the car, a little.

  42. #1442
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    If you mean left to right, none.

    If you mean towards the front of the car and the rear of the car, a little.
    Front of the car to back of the car.

    When I'm driving, I can see the bike moving this way.

  43. #1443
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Well, the headset will always allow for some rotation which presents as front to back movement. If it makes you feel any better, I've used Thule, Saris, Kuat, and Xport racks and they all have close (Kuat) or a lot more movement (everyone else) and aren't as easy to use as the 1up.

    It's fine. It looks worse than it is. Follow your car in someone else's car and see for yourself. The distortion/perspective from inside your car/through your rearview mirror seems to exaggerate the movement (I guess this is prob true of the other racks, too).

  44. #1444
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Well, the headset will always allow for some rotation which presents as front to back movement. If it makes you feel any better, I've used Thule, Saris, Kuat, and Xport racks and they all have close (Kuat) or a lot more movement (everyone else) and aren't as easy to use as the 1up.

    It's fine. It looks worse than it is. Follow your car in someone else's car and see for yourself. The distortion/perspective from inside your car/through your rearview mirror seems to exaggerate the movement (I guess this is prob true of the other racks, too).
    Thank you for the assurance! I'll feel a lot better now knowing I'm seeing the expected amount of "play".

  45. #1445
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,629
    I took the plunge on this awesome rack. My old rack was beginning to rust out and this is pretty much the king rack of all racks. Honestly, it's in a class all it's own, but I think we all know this already

    I bought the fat-bike kit and it's super awesome. My old rack was awkward to cram the fatbike onto. I also bought the wheel lock 1UPUSA.com :: Wheel Lock - though that is only compatible with the normal tray (not the fatbike tray due to width) This lock is essentially a coupler lock and I've looked around for wider ones, but they're just not made apparently.

    Anyone have any leads on a similar locking system that would accommodate the fat-bike tray width (somewhere over 5"?) I like the coupler system due to it simplicity, though I have a cable I use currently.

  46. #1446
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Why do you think you need to add a lock to the rack?

    J.
    For me, besides the added security, the U-Lock provides an additional fail-safe to the ball-wedged mechanism. I almost passed up on this wonderful rack because I didn't feel comfortable without a hitch bolt/pin, until I saw the U-Lock idea. I forgot who originally came up with this since this thread seems to go forever , but whoever it was...thank you

  47. #1447
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,684
    After 40K miles I can say that mine has never come loose or close to loose even while taking my car off-road. However YMMV..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

  48. #1448
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    My rack came with a velcro strap as a safety just in case the ball did come loose. I'm sure others got one, too. I know it's not really needed and was provided for piece of mind sake but I still use a lock anyway.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  49. #1449
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    Purchased a used 1up rack from another forum. Got the rack and the ball bearing is missing, bolt is not there and the internal slide piece is also missing. Anyone have a picture of what these pieces look like. Trying to fix this weekend so I can use the rack. Might have to wait and call 1Up on Monday. Any information would be appreciated.

  50. #1450
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_iv View Post
    Purchased a used 1up rack from another forum. Got the rack and the ball bearing is missing, bolt is not there and the internal slide piece is also missing. Anyone have a picture of what these pieces look like. Trying to fix this weekend so I can use the rack. Might have to wait and call 1Up on Monday. Any information would be appreciated.
    I hope you got a really good price on it because you may have to send it back to 1Up for repair unless you're extremely handy. Just check out their website and youtube and you'll see what it looks like.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •