Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 3087
  1. #1351
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    You can also try Amazon.com, I bought my Curt hitch brand new from them for only $109.99, shipped next day via Prime, it was quite a bargain. I had it installed where I service my WRX for a 24-case of Heineken.
    konahonzo

  2. #1352
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,947
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    $525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.
    You forgot $20K+ you paid for the car. Just to carry a bike..

    Seriously though, hitch, or roof rails will be a fixed cost no matter what.

  3. #1353
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eclipse24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    358
    I went with etrailer.com for my hitch. Over $150 is free shipping. Mine was just under 150, so I ordered a few extras. With the video, its easy to install. Maybe 30 mins for my Civic.

    Love the rack. The only issue I've had is a sticky bar (the bar the lever slides on). A few drops on dry lube and it works like new.

  4. #1354
    Lev
    Lev is offline
    You Guys Riding?
    Reputation: Lev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    You can also try Amazon.com, I bought my Curt hitch brand new from them for only $109.99, shipped next day via Prime, it was quite a bargain. I had it installed where I service my WRX for a 24-case of Heineken.
    What year is your WRX? I have a 2010 hatch and I've heard that some hitches require some minor drilling. 109 plus a case isn't a bad deal at all...

  5. #1355
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    What year is your WRX? I have a 2010 hatch and I've heard that some hitches require some minor drilling. 109 plus a case isn't a bad deal at all...
    Drilling the car or trimming the bumper a bit underneath? I've heard of the latter needing to be done in some cases, never extra drilling.

    Either way, I drive a 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero, aka 2005 WRX, and it was complete plug and play. 4 bolts and that's it for me. Plus the Curt hitch doesn't look like an eye sore from a mile away like the OEM Subaru hitch. It extends a lot beneath the bumper line.
    konahonzo

  6. #1356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    26

    1up and ground clearance

    I'm strongly considering a new 1up rack but I'm a little worried about ground clearance. I have an A4 with a Kurt hitch and my driveway is steep. I'm currently running an Xport 2 rack (cradle style) and it hits the street unless I really turn in at a shallow angle. Does anyone have a side view if a 1up so I can get an idea of clearance?

  7. #1357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    What year is your WRX? I have a 2010 hatch and I've heard that some hitches require some minor drilling. 109 plus a case isn't a bad deal at all...
    Is it a Curt hitch? They tend to be the brand that requires drilling. Bad idea.

  8. #1358
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    What year is your WRX? I have a 2010 hatch and I've heard that some hitches require some minor drilling. 109 plus a case isn't a bad deal at all...
    I recently put one on my 2013 WRX Wagon. I had to do some minor bumper trimming where the hitch part comes out. No drilling was required as they used existing holes in the frame. I did have to fish the bolts into the frame but they included the fish wire with excellent instructions on how to do it. I did have to drop the muffler to fit the hitch into place. Overall it took a couple of hours.

    You can check the details on the install for your car from here.
    Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

  9. #1359
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    You can also try Amazon.com, I bought my Curt hitch brand new from them for only $109.99, shipped next day via Prime, it was quite a bargain. I had it installed where I service my WRX for a 24-case of Heineken.
    Amazon is worth checking. Got a Curt on the Matrix from them. The car was about 5 years old when I installed so I had to buy a tool to chase the existing threads under the car due to a little rust from our salty roads. Still was a 1 hour job and easy.

  10. #1360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Called a local U-haul shop. They quoted me $225 for parts and installation of hitch. $75 in labor if I bought one myself from somewhere else.

    $525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.
    if that's all you use the hitch for, then it adds $225 to the cost of any rack. We use our hitch for pulling trailers too.

    J.

  11. #1361
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    I would probably ruin my transmission in my sedan pulling something.

    Anyway I pulled the trigger. I'm just one of those that has to gripe and complain a bit to justify something like this.

    Uhaul is installing the hitch Tuesday.

  12. #1362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,061
    Funny.

    J.

  13. #1363
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    It'll be about the same as the XPort

    Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    I'm strongly considering a new 1up rack but I'm a little worried about ground clearance. I have an A4 with a Kurt hitch and my driveway is steep. I'm currently running an Xport 2 rack (cradle style) and it hits the street unless I really turn in at a shallow angle. Does anyone have a side view if a 1up so I can get an idea of clearance?
    Here's mine on the back of my B6 A4 with sport package...

    <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-90QJSF5zYKkmxmiRN0ybXNfEeC9Yzrk7A2JpaspXd4?feat=em bedwebsite"><img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v1O6my59mZI/Tmq6CayrZCI/AAAAAAAAYF0/UoHJHZ60ba8/s800/IMG_1216.JPG" height="600" width="800" /></a>

    it grinds a bit, but it's no big deal. I would just say inspect it once in a while around the bolt holes to be sure it doesn't crack.

  14. #1364
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633


    here is my lowered Passat

    yes it grinds... so did my Yakima holdup

  15. #1365
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Just courious, do you guys have any suggestions for cable locks that work really well with this bike rack? I'm looking at purchasing something like this:

    Amazon.com: Kryptonite 720018210610 KryptoFlex 3/8" x 7&#39; 1007 Double Loop Security Cable: Sports & Outdoors

  16. #1366
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Just courious, do you guys have any suggestions for cable locks that work really well with this bike rack? I'm looking at purchasing something like this:

    Amazon.com: Kryptonite 720018210610 KryptoFlex 3/8" x 7' 1007 Double Loop Security Cable: Sports & Outdoors
    That is the cable I use.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  17. #1367
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Cables suck

    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Just courious, do you guys have any suggestions for cable locks that work really well with this bike rack? I'm looking at purchasing something like this:

    Amazon.com: Kryptonite 720018210610 KryptoFlex 3/8" x 7' 1007 Double Loop Security Cable: Sports & Outdoors
    Use a chain. It doesn't take much to cut a cable, even those crazy thick ones.

    I would also suggest using a good quality U-Lock around the rear wheel and frame of the bike. Make the thief have to defeat several things before he can ride the bike away.

    I use a U-Lock around the bike, thick chain, and another tiny U-Lock around my trailer hitch safety chain loops.

    Those thin cables that come on other bike racks are pretty close to useless. I guess they will keep somebody from casually walking by and making off with your bike, but if your friendly neighborhood bike thief has any kind of tools on him he can defeat it. Some of those locks you can defeat with a big screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.

  18. #1368
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Use a chain. It doesn't take much to cut a cable, even those crazy thick ones.

    I would also suggest using a good quality U-Lock around the rear wheel and frame of the bike. Make the thief have to defeat several things before he can ride the bike away.

    I use a U-Lock around the bike, thick chain, and another tiny U-Lock around my trailer hitch safety chain loops.

    Those thin cables that come on other bike racks are pretty close to useless. I guess they will keep somebody from casually walking by and making off with your bike, but if your friendly neighborhood bike thief has any kind of tools on him he can defeat it. Some of those locks you can defeat with a big screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.
    Great suggestions! I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Maybe once I receive the bike rack I'll understand.

  19. #1369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Use a chain. It doesn't take much to cut a cable, even those crazy thick ones.

    I would also suggest using a good quality U-Lock around the rear wheel and frame of the bike. Make the thief have to defeat several things before he can ride the bike away.

    I use a U-Lock around the bike, thick chain, and another tiny U-Lock around my trailer hitch safety chain loops.

    Those thin cables that come on other bike racks are pretty close to useless. I guess they will keep somebody from casually walking by and making off with your bike, but if your friendly neighborhood bike thief has any kind of tools on him he can defeat it. Some of those locks you can defeat with a big screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.
    Agreed, the cables are whack. Chains are your best solution.

  20. #1370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5

    Kuat Sherpa vs. 1UP for Mazda3 hatchback (2012)

    Hi, fellow biking enthusiasts -

    I just got a 2012 Mazda 3 (5-door) hatchback, and am now shopping for a bike rack that I can put on a tow hitch on the back of this lovely car. I'm seeing lots of good posts for the Kuat Sherpa and various 1UP racks. Has anyone put either of these on a Mazda3 hatchback? An pros or cons?

    Thanks!
    BigSky

    Note - I love the white of the Sherpa, but it looks like it leans in a bit towards the car in the pictures ... and my hatchback door bulges out a bit - possibly a bad combo. Also, my friend's Kuat NV made my front brakes tighten on my front tire. Maybe my bike (a Novara Kia) doesn't tolerate being held close to the brakes.

    The 1UP looks lighter in weight, which is a big plus. (I'm a female, and light-weight is desirable.) A possible downside is that I have a cargo rack and basket over my back wheel, so I'm not sure if the 1UP design will accommodate that.

  21. #1371
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Great suggestions! I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Maybe once I receive the bike rack I'll understand.
    One of these:




    I also used a Disc lock. The storage unit and fixie bike folks favor this kind of lock:



    These work well for securing a chain to itself or around the hitch's safety chain loops. They are fairly hard to cut, and hard to get the jaws of the bolt cutters around the shackle.

  22. #1372
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    One of these:




    I also used a Disc lock. The storage unit and fixie bike folks favor this kind of lock:



    These work well for securing a chain to itself or around the hitch's safety chain loops. They are fairly hard to cut, and hard to get the jaws of the bolt cutters around the shackle.
    These are interesting solutions. Do you have pictures of them being used on the rack? I'm curious as to how you use them.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  23. #1373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    These are interesting solutions. Do you have pictures of them being used on the rack? I'm curious as to how you use them.
    +1 I'd like to see how you use the hitch rack as well. TY!

  24. #1374
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FloriDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    I've got one on my 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback. Got a Curt hitch from Amazon and it was an easy install.

    I LOVE the rack. I've put a few thousand miles with a bike on it and it's working great.

    The bike sits far enough back that the rack on your back wheel won't be a problem.



    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky3 View Post
    Hi, fellow biking enthusiasts -

    I just got a 2012 Mazda 3 (5-door) hatchback, and am now shopping for a bike rack that I can put on a tow hitch on the back of this lovely car. I'm seeing lots of good posts for the Kuat Sherpa and various 1UP racks. Has anyone put either of these on a Mazda3 hatchback? An pros or cons?

    Thanks!
    BigSky

    Note - I love the white of the Sherpa, but it looks like it leans in a bit towards the car in the pictures ... and my hatchback door bulges out a bit - possibly a bad combo. Also, my friend's Kuat NV made my front brakes tighten on my front tire. Maybe my bike (a Novara Kia) doesn't tolerate being held close to the brakes.

    The 1UP looks lighter in weight, which is a big plus. (I'm a female, and light-weight is desirable.) A possible downside is that I have a cargo rack and basket over my back wheel, so I'm not sure if the 1UP design will accommodate that.
    Last edited by FloriDave; 12-17-2012 at 09:02 AM.

  25. #1375
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks, FloriDave! That helps me out a lot!!

  26. #1376
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Whelp...

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    These are interesting solutions. Do you have pictures of them being used on the rack? I'm curious as to how you use them.
    The chain and locks have nothing to do with the rack. The bike is locked to the car. I locked it directly to the hitch receiver. I'll try and take pics next time I rack it up.

    There was somebody who posted earlier who actually found a U-Lock that bolted around the trailer hitch and around the 1UpUSA rack.

    Oh, on a side note I found one minor flaw with the rack:

    1Up used standard SAE size bolts!! They should be metric!!

    Which is fine, but some of my bolts loosened up, namely the allen bolt that tips up and down to lock the trays. And, one of the bolts that the tray swivels around. In 1Up's defense, my mounting plate was damaged when somebody's car bumped my car when parked, breaking the locks off. I replaced the tray plate myself and bolted the trays on. I may have not tightened them down to the right torque. I guessed.

    Anyway, it sent me scrounging around the shop trying to find SAE sized allen wrenches and open ended wrenches. Half inch, 9/16, 3/16 allen... dudes?!?

  27. #1377
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Ahhh, I thought you used the lock to secure the bike rack to the trailer hitch.

    Let me get this straight. You secured the small U-lock to the trailer hitch and ran a chain through the U-lock?

  28. #1378
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,639
    I think eurospek posted the original picture. I copied him. A smaller, 7" U lock will fit through the chain loop on the hitch and around the rack body. I don't have a picture of it on my phone. I don't bother around town, but I do use it on road trips. That's for the rack only. I also run a cable through the U lock and around the bike while traveling.

    Around town I lock my bike directly to the spare wheel, since that's easiest. I have a rubber coated and steel jacketed Abus cable for that.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  29. #1379
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I think eurospek posted the original picture. I copied him. A smaller, 7" U lock will fit through the chain loop on the hitch and around the rack body. I don't have a picture of it on my phone. I don't bother around town, but I do use it on road trips. That's for the rack only. I also run a cable through the U lock and around the bike while traveling.

    Around town I lock my bike directly to the spare wheel, since that's easiest. I have a rubber coated and steel jacketed Abus cable for that.
    See page 39 of this thread for the picture.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  30. #1380
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I too was of that logic last season when I was looking at racks (always thinking the worst lol). But I am glad I bought the 1up 2 bike combo last year. I just couldn't stomach paying a little less or even the same in some instances for the Thule/Yakima/Kuat steel garbage offerings at the time. Mine still looks new, operates flawlessly, and never had a problem with mine. And always get numerous comments/questions at the trail head parking lot about it.

    But to make me sleep better at night, I have a Kryptonite mini U-lock going thru the rack and the hitch metal loop, so even if the locking bolt ever fails, the rack isn't going to slide out anywhere, there's basically less than an inch of leeway with this, and still safely inserted in my hitch.

    And disregard the red strap, no longer in use.



    Amazon.com: Kryptonite Evolution Mini Bike U-Lock: Sports & Outdoors


    Google

  31. #1381
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Yup, that U-Lock works perfectly for me.

    Thanks for digging up the pic.
    konahonzo

  32. #1382
    Proud American
    Reputation: bluejudad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    I just got mine (a two tray) a few days ago. I freakin love it!. It's so well made. The tooling, components, design, look, ease of use, etc. It's one of those products that feel and look worth the money you spend on it. Any financial hesitancy will be swept away with joy once you get it. I love seeing it on the back of my FJ. I love seeing it loaded with bikes. And, I love taking it out to the trails. I wish it was my company. They deserve tremendous success! And... it's made in the USA.

  33. #1383
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4
    With the recent Pugsley purchase I think it is time to ditch the old style T2 and pick of these things up. Thanks everyone on the thread for helping making the decision easier.
    2011 RM Altitude 29er
    2010 Surly Pugs 1x9

  34. #1384
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    664
    You won't be sorry! Best rack ever.

  35. #1385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    Hi, FloriDave -

    It just occurred to me that the weight of my bike might matter. (D'uh!) I have a lot of accessories on my bike, so that the whole bike weighs about 40 lbs. Do you think the 1UP (or the Kuat Sherpa) would be able to hold that much weight? (I'm asking 1UP and Sherpa that question, but it's helpful to hear a (perhaps more accurate) answer from someone who actually owns such a bike rack, lol.)

    As a memory-jogger, I'm thinking of putting the 1UP or Kuat Sherpa on my 2012 Mazda3 5-door hatchback.

    Thanks!!

  36. #1386
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,684

    ... and if we just ...

    BigSky3, you don't have to worry as I sit on my rack when the bike is of off it. I put a flip-flop or towel down and sit in the middle on the rack. No issues and I am over 200#...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

  37. #1387
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky3 View Post
    Hi, FloriDave -

    It just occurred to me that the weight of my bike might matter. (D'uh!) I have a lot of accessories on my bike, so that the whole bike weighs about 40 lbs. Do you think the 1UP (or the Kuat Sherpa) would be able to hold that much weight? (I'm asking 1UP and Sherpa that question, but it's helpful to hear a (perhaps more accurate) answer from someone who actually owns such a bike rack, lol.)

    As a memory-jogger, I'm thinking of putting the 1UP or Kuat Sherpa on my 2012 Mazda3 5-door hatchback.

    Thanks!!
    It won't matter at all to the rack. The weak link is the hitch, but one 40 lb bike on that rack should be well within your hitch rating.

    70-odd pounds of bike on my 1-Up:
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-1up.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  38. #1388
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    176
    I have to say "Wow!"

    I got my new rack delivered today and it is an impressive piece of equipment! I got the two bike rack in black and put it on my Jeep JK and it fits perfectly. I'm very happy. If anyone is on the fence about getting this I just have one thing to say "Do it!"

  39. #1389
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    It won't matter at all to the rack. The weak link is the hitch, but one 40 lb bike on that rack should be well within your hitch rating.

    70-odd pounds of bike on my 1-Up:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Up.jpg 
Views:	2609 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	746414
    I think 1-Up is the only rack that you can offset bikes like that.
    Best rack out there!

  40. #1390
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks, Rock dude and Evasive!!! That was super helpful!

  41. #1391
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    335
    Can someone post a side view pic of the rack folded up when not in use. I have 20'' between my wall and the hitch pin hole on my 4runner and I just want to make sure the rack will fit on my runner while in the garage.
    thanks

  42. #1392
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    Can someone post a side view pic of the rack folded up when not in use. I have 20'' between my wall and the hitch pin hole on my 4runner and I just want to make sure the rack will fit on my runner while in the garage.
    thanks
    I don't have a 4 runner so bumper to hitch ratio could be off a little but for my VW golf it sticks out 6 3/4 from the bumper to the furthest point out on the rack when folded. Guessing it should be real close to the same.

  43. #1393
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    Can someone post a side view pic of the rack folded up when not in use. I have 20'' between my wall and the hitch pin hole on my 4runner and I just want to make sure the rack will fit on my runner while in the garage.
    thanks
    There are a number of those already posted, although I agree this thread has gotten unwieldy.

    This pic was posted by LittleBuddy on page 42:

    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  44. #1394
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    335
    Wow that's great my old thule stuck out nearly 20".

  45. #1395
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Read through this whole thread and decided to buy this rack. Just getting back in to biking, and loving it so far. Love this freakin' rack too. Solid, well-built, and everyone who has seen it has complimented it. Such a fine piece of metal. Fits my 29er well.

    Can't post pics yet, but it looks just like everyone elses

  46. #1396
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215

  47. #1397
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Just curious, did you buy this combination of locks?

    Amazon.com: Kryptonite Evo Mini-7 with 4-Foot Flex Lock: Sports & Outdoors
    Yup. Four feet is shorter than you imagine, btw.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  48. #1398
    Proud American
    Reputation: bluejudad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    I just had a nice email conversation with someone at 1UP. I want to clarify a couple things that are important for this thread.

    The Allen Wrench that is provided is made by (or for) 1UP! That means you cannot buy it in a hardware store. So, it is essentially self locking and thief proof, as the locking mechanism is internal. 1UP is not aware of any hitch rack ever being stolen off a car.

    I was emailing them, because, I had wobble where the 'extender' enters the hitch. It turned out to be my error, as I forgot to use the washer. Now, there is no wobble at all.

    This rack is the bomb! I freakin love it.

  49. #1399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    I just had a nice email conversation with someone at 1UP. I want to clarify a couple things that are important for this thread.

    The Allen Wrench that is provided is made by (or for) 1UP! That means you cannot buy it in a hardware store. So, it is essentially self locking and thief proof, as the locking mechanism is internal. 1UP is not aware of any hitch rack ever being stolen off a car.

    I was emailing them, because, I had wobble where the 'extender' enters the hitch. It turned out to be my error, as I forgot to use the washer. Now, there is no wobble at all.

    This rack is the bomb! I freakin love it.
    I haven't actually measured the wrench, but unless it is a non-standard size, you can indeed buy it. Not at Home Depot or Lowe's, but it is possible.

    That said, it is very unlikely that any random thief will have a wrench that fits on their person. It definitely isn't something that I'd worry about.

  50. #1400
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,684
    When in doubt put a lock on it, certainly when they get more popular and peeps have the additional trays. I saw a post in the beginning of this thread IIRC, wherein someone had drilled a hole in both the base and a tray to keep things together..YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •