Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 3232
  1. #1301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    71
    I just bought the single hitch mount rack with the second bike add-on. This thing is awesome. If you want quality and function and to be able to use your SUV's hatch w/o folding the rack out of the way each time, this is the rack for you. I have had a bunch of racks over the years and this is by far the best in design and quality.

    I spend a good amount of money on my bikes and ride a lot so for me I want quality and ease of use. I get both with this rack and I feel the price is a bargain. I don't like having to take the rack off when not in use. This rack folds up out of the way.

    One thing I don't see in the posts is about the parts that make up the rack. I am an engineer and a hobbyist welder and metal fabricator so maybe I notice this kind of stuff more than your average joe. Compare the quality of materials and craftsmanship of this rack to anything out there. I know Thule and Yak make good racks. However, they don't make this kind of quality and they definitely don't make a hitch rack that basically disappears until you fold it out to use it.

  2. #1302
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2

    Road,Bikes in Rack

    I have not been able to find any comments on how road bikes (700 x 23) do on the 1up rack? Clearly, they do well with mtn bikes with lots of tire rubber.

    Are road bikes just as stable in the rack as mtn bikes?

  3. #1303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by LFT_PFT View Post
    I have not been able to find any comments on how road bikes (700 x 23) do on the 1up rack? Clearly, they do well with mtn bikes with lots of tire rubber.

    Are road bikes just as stable in the rack as mtn bikes?
    Grips the tires the same way...

    There's been a few comments here and there in this thread about 700c tires. Search RBR as well for a few comments on the 1UP.

    In my personal experience, the road bike swayed more due to less rubber contact, but the bike still isn't going anywhere.

  4. #1304
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Grips the tires the same way...

    There's been a few comments here and there in this thread about 700c tires. Search RBR as well for a few comments on the 1UP.

    In my personal experience, the road bike swayed more due to less rubber contact, but the bike still isn't going anywhere.
    I couldn't find any specific comments about 700c tires in the rack on Road Bike Review or this thread....

    I want to use the rack for both mtn bikes and road bikes on a regular basis. Lots of good feeback and pics with rack and mtn bikes, just curious about how the rack does with 'dainty' road bikes.

  5. #1305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,117
    Quote Originally Posted by LFT_PFT View Post
    I have not been able to find any comments on how road bikes (700 x 23) do on the 1up rack? Clearly, they do well with mtn bikes with lots of tire rubber.

    Are road bikes just as stable in the rack as mtn bikes?
    They work fine if not better. The rack will have less up and down movement too since they are considerably lighter.

    J.

  6. #1306
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by LFT_PFT View Post
    I couldn't find any specific comments about 700c tires in the rack on Road Bike Review or this thread....

    I want to use the rack for both mtn bikes and road bikes on a regular basis. Lots of good feeback and pics with rack and mtn bikes, just curious about how the rack does with 'dainty' road bikes.
    If you arent in a rush wait til next week. I ordered mine earlier this week and will be delivered next week. Ill throw on my road bike with 700-23 tires

  7. #1307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,117
    We took 4 road bikes on a 2500 mile round trip last year on the 1UpUSA rack. No issues whatsoever. Nothing to worry about. All the bikes had on 700-21 or 23 tires (tubulars).

    J.

  8. #1308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by LFT_PFT View Post
    I couldn't find any specific comments about 700c tires in the rack on Road Bike Review or this thread....

    I want to use the rack for both mtn bikes and road bikes on a regular basis. Lots of good feeback and pics with rack and mtn bikes, just curious about how the rack does with 'dainty' road bikes.
    I use my 1up to transport both mountain and road bikes and it works fine with either. There is no adjusting needed, just put whatever bike you want on the rack and close the arms.

  9. #1309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    20
    ive had the opportunity to use the 1up rack for a couple of weeks now and it seems to work well. it literally takes 30 seconds to secure the bike to the car. 30 seconds to take the bike off too. no ned for a bunch of cords or straps. although it is pretty stable, there is some minor side to side movement in the front tire at highway speeds (i can see the handlebars moving in the rearview mirror). very sturdy build on the rack. it makes other racks feel like toys. i have had to retighten the rack in the hitch just a little bit (not even a 1/10 of a turn with the wrench). it never was loose. before this rack, i used the thule raceway trunk rack but that one put dents in the bumper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-image.jpg  

    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-image-1-.jpg  


  10. #1310
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FloriDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    I've had this rack a month or so now, and love it. Expensive, but worth it.

  11. #1311
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wingspan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    49
    I just got my extension to carry a second bike on my Quickrack. It's everything the rack itself is, easy on/off, secure, well made, blah, blah, blah...

  12. #1312
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by LFT_PFT View Post
    I couldn't find any specific comments about 700c tires in the rack on Road Bike Review or this thread....

    I want to use the rack for both mtn bikes and road bikes on a regular basis. Lots of good feeback and pics with rack and mtn bikes, just curious about how the rack does with 'dainty' road bikes.
    I just ordered one myself.

    I got rid of my Yakima Holdup, which works fine for knobby tires (ie my MTB & Cross bike), but the arm does not hold onto my road bike tires too well (700x25c, Conti Grand Prix 4-seasons)

  13. #1313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    70
    Ordered mine yesterday. Got tired of the saris blocking my tag and tail lights. Paid the extra for black b/c my car is black

  14. #1314
    mtbr member
    Reputation: albertdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    I drove over 100 miles of rough dirt roads with the rack this weekend and not one problem.
    Plus I don't baby my FJ on the trails. It doesn't look like it but my FJ has over 5k invested in the suspension so it can handle the rough stuff.

    The 1up rack is by far the best rack I have ever owned!
    @ Rock dude: nice! Is that a 1 1/4" rack with a 2" adapter or is that a single rack made with a 2" hitch bar?

  15. #1315
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,023
    Just got mine. Love it, but what is that velcro strap for?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  16. #1316
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    @ Rock dude: nice! Is that a 1 1/4" rack with a 2" adapter or is that a single rack made with a 2" hitch bar?
    It's a single rack made with a 2" hitch bar.

  17. #1317
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    671
    I just ordered a single add-on for my rack on Sunday, it was already shipped out on Monday.
    Got to love this company!

  18. #1318
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Just got mine. Love it, but what is that velcro strap for?
    Extreme paranoia.

  19. #1319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrilz View Post
    ive had the opportunity to use the 1up rack for a couple of weeks now and it seems to work well. it literally takes 30 seconds to secure the bike to the car. 30 seconds to take the bike off too. no ned for a bunch of cords or straps. although it is pretty stable, there is some minor side to side movement in the front tire at highway speeds (i can see the handlebars moving in the rearview mirror). very sturdy build on the rack. it makes other racks feel like toys. i have had to retighten the rack in the hitch just a little bit (not even a 1/10 of a turn with the wrench). it never was loose. before this rack, i used the thule raceway trunk rack but that one put dents in the bumper.
    Congrats... nice GT3 in the garage too

  20. #1320
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sand wedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Congrats... nice GT3 in the garage too
    Don't forget the GTR in the other garage

  21. #1321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    Don't forget the GTR in the other garage
    Yeah, I noticed that after my post. Would love to see those two dicing up the track against each other...

  22. #1322
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob1035's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    921
    Anyone experience a lot of wiggle with a bike in the 1Up rack? I've got the single 1.25" rack, and it seems to move a lot more than I would have thought. The hitch is securely mounted, the rack bolt is tight. Maybe I'm over scrutinizing it, I don't know how much is normal I guess.
    Last edited by rob1035; 11-08-2012 at 07:14 AM.

  23. #1323
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    274
    I personally think it has a lot of flex/wiggle. Especially with 3 heavier bikes (think Moonlanders and Pugs). I mentioned that previously and even called 1up. They were quick to imply that I over exaggerate and the perceived movement is because it is so far back behind the car. However, I know that you don't perceive extra movement that way, the rack is/should be one with the frame of the car, so it shouldn't seem to move at all really.

    That being said, I've hauled 3 heavy bikes all over the country on a 1.25" 1up rack and never had a problem, just some bouncing when you hit odd bumps and dips in the road. They are very confident in the product and will replace it if it failed.

  24. #1324
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Anyone experience a lot of wiggle with a bike in the 1Up rack? I've got the single 1.25" rack, and it seems to move a lot more than I would like. The hitch is securely mounted, the rack bolt is tight. Maybe I'm over scrutinizing it, I don't know how much is normal I guess.
    Are you talking about flex from the rack or play in the hitch itself? Unless you make a rack out of concrete I think the rack itself will have some give. A certain amount is healthy, like a tall building swaying in the wind. Kind of creepy but necessary. Mine doesn't seem to be excessive.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  25. #1325
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob1035's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    921
    OK, fair enough. It doesn't seem all that excessive, but like you said, its a little creepy.

  26. #1326
    Perdurabo
    Reputation: Maldevyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    They were quick to imply that I over exaggerate and the perceived movement is because it is so far back behind the car. However, I know that you don't perceive extra movement that way, the rack is/should be one with the frame of the car, so it shouldn't seem to move at all really.
    The rack might be "one with the frame of the car" but you are not. It has been discussed before. One other explanation is that you have already gone over the bump and started to stabilize while the rear of the car is just hitting the bump. Both these contribute to the "exaggeration." Many have said that when observed from a different vehicle the perceived movement was much less.
    This cat's on an intergalactic cruise...in his office?

  27. #1327
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldevyne View Post
    The rack might be "one with the frame of the car" but you are not. It has been discussed before. One other explanation is that you have already gone over the bump and started to stabilize while the rear of the car is just hitting the bump. Both these contribute to the "exaggeration." Many have said that when observed from a different vehicle the perceived movement was much less.
    That's true and I'm not denying it. I'm just saying that these racks bounce more than others. Between owning others and riding buddies having others I've seen many racks, all with less movement than the 1up. I've looked in the same rear view mirror of this particular car and seen 2 other racks (cheapies even) that barely move.

    That being said, the 1up rack is still the best rack I've ever used. I freakin' love the product. Just stating my observations.

  28. #1328
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Anyone experience a lot of wiggle with a bike in the 1Up rack? I've got the single 1.25" rack, and it seems to move a lot more than I would have thought. The hitch is securely mounted, the rack bolt is tight. Maybe I'm over scrutinizing it, I don't know how much is normal I guess.
    I had trouble with ONE of my cars. Turned out it was a crappy hitch. Changed to a different brand hitch and all is well.

    Make sure you have the rack mounted as tight to the bumper as possible. If it's cantilevered way out back, there's a bigger lever arm and the hitch will flex.
    whatever...

  29. #1329
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    15

    Just ordered

    Hi,

    Just ordered my 1up single (black) today. I e-mailed them with a couple of question and got answers right away, even on a Saturday. I'm sure after all the reviews the rack will be fine. I'm just hoping it comes with a wheel of cheese, it's already shipped.

  30. #1330
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633


    I'm similar to the cool kids now

    Convinced my co-worker (whom was on the fence of which platform rack to get)... to get one also (he had a Thule 594 on the roof.... so I don't think the T2 was on his short list)

  31. #1331
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    50
    Agreed.

  32. #1332
    jcard14
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    140
    Got my 1up a month ago...could not be happier! I had actually never seen one in person and am usually skeptical about buying stuff online if I haven't touched it in real life...but 1up has a 60-day money back guarantee and everyone on MTBR raves about it so I felt I had nothing to lose.

    This rack is so cool, looks great and just got its first real test over Thanksgiving as I drove over 1000 miles with my bike on the back...no problems. In fact, someone actually came up behind me on the Interstate and I swear they were checking out my rack...I could see the two people in the front seats discussing (with hand motions) how the rack held the bike.
    C Knife 14
    '10 S-Works SJ...blinged out!
    '10 Blue AC1
    '11 Spot Brand Acme
    '12 S-Works SJ 29er...even more blinged out!!

  33. #1333
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,201
    We put up a big review here:

    1up USA Bike Rack Review | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

    We used some of the photos from this thread. Thank you.

    Please get in there and 'like' the article and comment/share.

    fc

  34. #1334
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,758
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

    We used some of the photos from this thread. Thank you.

    fc
    De nada. Nice to see 1-Up getting the props their product deserves.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  35. #1335
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    De nada. Nice to see 1-Up getting the props their product deserves.
    Agreed, although now they're going to be mainstream and "lose their edge" or something. Oh well.

  36. #1336
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,460
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Agreed, although now they're going to be mainstream and "lose their edge" or something. Oh well.
    I don't think it'll ever be mainstream due to price.
    konahonzo

  37. #1337
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I don't think it'll ever be mainstream due to price.
    What does that even mean?

  38. #1338
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,460
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    What does that even mean?
    It means what it means. When people ask me about my rack in the parking lot at the trailhead, all is swell until they get sticker shock when they ask me how much I paid.
    konahonzo

  39. #1339
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    It means what it means. When people ask me about my rack in the parking lot at the trailhead, all is swell until they get sticker shock when they ask me how much I paid.
    IDK, I got what you were getting at. I think that what 1up does is charge what they feel they need to in order to make a product the way they think is best (US-made, machined aluminum, etc, etc) rather than one that will simply sell the most units.

  40. #1340
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    I'm similar to the cool kids now

    Convinced my co-worker (whom was on the fence of which platform rack to get)... to get one also (he had a Thule 594 on the roof.... so I don't think the T2 was on his short list)
    Here's mine. I'm not sure if I'm the co-worker you were talking about and I was on the fence about it but decided to go with it. I've only clocked about 100 miles with the bike on the rack but so far so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-bike-n-rack.jpg  

    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  41. #1341
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Considering getting the single bike rack. Just curious what is everyone using for security of the bike?

  42. #1342
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Considering getting the single bike rack. Just curious what is everyone using for security of the bike?
    I'm using a cable lock to secure the bike to the rack.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  43. #1343
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Considering getting the single bike rack. Just curious what is everyone using for security of the bike?
    Cable lock for the bike to the rack. I also have a small D-lock to provide a lock of the rack to the hitch receiver (as well as peace of mind that the rack won't slide out of the receiver if the mechanism loosens). Main thing is to keep your eyes on your bike.

  44. #1344
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi View Post
    Cable lock for the bike to the rack. I also have a small D-lock to provide a lock of the rack to the hitch receiver (as well as peace of mind that the rack won't slide out of the receiver if the mechanism loosens). Main thing is to keep your eyes on your bike.
    So, you're using that to secure the rack to the hitch so someone just couldn't steal the rack and whatever is on it, correct?

    Also, what's the approximate cost to get a hitch installed on your car and where would one get one installed?

  45. #1345
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,758
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Also, what's the approximate cost to get a hitch installed on your car and where would one get one installed?
    Varies, but maybe $150-$250 depending on what you buy. U-Haul dealers commonly sell them, as do trailer dealers. Check your yellow pages.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  46. #1346
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    So, you're using that to secure the rack to the hitch so someone just couldn't steal the rack and whatever is on it, correct?

    Also, what's the approximate cost to get a hitch installed on your car and where would one get one installed?
    I got 3 receiver hitches from etrailer.com. They have great prices, shipping is free, and in most cases they even have videos on how to install it. Most of their hitches don't require drilling as they try to use existing holes already on the vehicles. I use the cable lock to lock the bike to the rack. The rack attaches to the hitch with a custom allen or hex wrench. Without it nobody can remove the rack from the hitch.... in theory. But I don't leave the rack on my car anyway. The rack is so easy and quick to put on and take off that I just fold it up and put it in the trunk.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  47. #1347
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated!

    Has anyone purchased the wheel lock? Does that work well?

  48. #1348
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated!

    Has anyone purchased the wheel lock? Does that work well?
    If you buy the wheel lock only... what's preventing them from just stealing the frame only?

    I prefer a cable lock myself, so that you can secure the frame & wheel to the rack and if you have enough length, to the hitch chain loop as well. I think it's a better theft deterrent.

    It's not theft proof... a prepared thief will be able to defeat most mechanisms rather easily.

  49. #1349
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DRILLINDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    215
    Called a local U-haul shop. They quoted me $225 for parts and installation of hitch. $75 in labor if I bought one myself from somewhere else.

    $525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.

  50. #1350
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Called a local U-haul shop. They quoted me $225 for parts and installation of hitch. $75 in labor if I bought one myself from somewhere else.

    $525 + shipping, and only being able to carry one bike. Yikes.

    Depending on your car, etrailer.com is going to have the hitch for less than $225, free shipping, and super easy installation. Seems like a no-brainer to do it yourself. You just need some basic hand tools. If you're curious about the work to install, search for the specific application for your car and check to see if they have a install video or instructions on etrailer.com. That should give you a sense of what you'd be in for. It really is fairly painless on most cars.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •