Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

937K views 4K replies 632 participants last post by  rlee 
#1 ·
Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
Kuat NV
Yakima Holdup
Thule T2
Saris Cycle On Pro

#596 ·
I wouldn't be paranoid about it. I have the version that goes into the either receiver size. I've carried 4 bikes on it cross country 3 times (about 8000 miles on it). No issues whatsoever despite hitting a massive bump at 80mph.

Because of the way that they do the 1.25 or 2" compatibility, any sway you would get from 1.25 you would also get in the 2" configuration on my rack. There is virtually no side to side sway at all. There is some motion in the vertical plane as you would expect with a lever arm off the back of your car. With 4 bikes on the rack, I'd characterize the maximum vertical movement to be 8" or so either with mountain bikes or road bikes. It looks like a lot more in your back window but if you watch it with your side mirror so you can visually compare it to the car side or watch it from another car, you see what it really is and that it is minimal even with 4 bikes. With 2 bikes, it's going to be very solid and hardly move at all in any direction - it's going to be like it's part of your car.

They also have a 100% refund policy and a lifetime guarantee. Get it and try it out. If you don't like it, you can send it back.

I doubt you can even find a 2" hitch for your car if it isn't rated for towing at that level.

Either way, I like the 1.25" version since you can make it work in a 2" hitch (if it's still like mine). Maximum flexibility.

J.

#611 ·
I love mine too, just got it mounted this week and used it, it was awesomely easy!
I don't know what the black velcro strap is for, can someone tell me? And the smaller black alan wrench?

Also, these things are ok to leave on in the weather right? Rain isn't going to make these rust?

#620 ·
It'd probably work but you'd sort of be asking for it. I don't think you'd overload the hitch and the 2" crossbar ought to be a lot stronger than the 1.25" one. So..... should work. There's nothing from preventing you from trying it (just money).

That said, you'd be hanging out there a mile if there was a problem unless 1UpUSA would agree that it would work.

Do you always need to take 5 bikes or just occasionally?

J.

#623 ·
I think 1UpUSA was using about 250lbs of bikes on the 4 rack 1.25" that I have or about 60lbs per bike. In just a pure weight perspective you'd probably be ok, especially if it wasn't a long road trip or anything.

J.
Is your rack any different than the one they are selling now? The load would be way under 250 lbs. It'd be about 150 lbs. at most.

The road trips would be around 3 hours of mostly highway driving.

Trying to wrap my mind around the price of these things. They certainly are not cheap.

#624 ·
I believe the current 1.25" rack is the same as the one that I bought. That was rated at 250lbs of bikes in a 2" receiver. I doubt they redesigned it and made it less capable. I'm pretty sure they just changed the rating. You could ask them that and I'm sure they'd tell you.

For 5 bikes, for a 3 hour road trip, it's probably not a great idea on the 2" rack. Do you have access to a roof rack at all? Especially if it's an occasional use.

J.

#625 ·
I ordered a 1up rack and an add-on on Monday and it shipped today, and they should be here Friday! I just thought I'd let everyone know that they aren't always slow to ship.

I was seriously considering a 3 bike Raxter since it's lighter and cheaper than a 3 bike 1up, but the fact that the 1up folds and will fit in the back of my car is what sold me.

#630 ·
People can't seem to leave my rack alone. It's cool that people are interested in it, but I hate when people play with it. I mean WTF? I came back from a mountain bike ride yesterday and when I got back to the parking lot my tray was in the lower angled position. I had put it upright tucked against the bumper before I left. Who messes with someone's rack when they're not around? That's like sitting on another guy's motorcycle in a parking lot. I hate people. :madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.