Thread: 1up or kuat nv?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

1up or kuat nv?

Similar price for the double. Lots of reviews on the 1up not so many in the NV. Any thoughts?

Bear
    I'm like a broken record when it comes to endorsing 1up.

Bullet points:
    -all metal construction
    -fat bike friendly
    -awesomely friendly company
    -small wheel friendly
    -big wheel friendly
    -made in the USA

No argument as to who the winner is.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch View Post
    I'm like a broken record when it comes to endorsing 1up.

Bullet points:
    -all metal construction
    -fat bike friendly
    -awesomely friendly company
    -small wheel friendly
    -big wheel friendly
    -made in the USA

No argument as to who the winner is.
    Agreed. I don't even know why this is even a discussion. The only advantage Kuat has is that is comes in cooler colors.

mtbr member
    agree with the above. I looked pretty hard at Kuat, and other than the built-in workstand everything about 1up is better.

in addition to all the points above: The 1up is really the only bike rack I've owned that doesn't look kind of chintzy or cheaply made (literally every product Thule or Yakima makes falls into that category to me). I know plastic parts are fine and durable enough in the right application, but they look and feel cheap and fragile.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

1Up is the way to go IMHO. I see a lot of other racks in my area and all the other racks look like crap after about a year in the sun down here. The all aluminum construction is holding up very well and mine is two years old. Made in the USA is a huge plus too..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'll be the dissenter. We went with the Kuat and feel it's worth every penny. We know several other bikers who also got the Kuat NV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The things that make me like the kuat nv is the integrated bike stand and the integrated lock. But there seems to be overwhelming support for the 1up.

mtbr member

We went with kuat

Just used it today. Took about 3 minutes to put the rack on the truck and put bikes on it.
    Last edited by gthcarolina; 11-17-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxMan2001 View Post
    The things that make me like the kuat nv is the integrated bike stand and the integrated lock. But there seems to be overwhelming support for the 1up.
    Bike stand is cool. Integrated locks are not. A bike thief can break any system but a the integrated stuff has to be the weakest and easiest of all to break. Get a solid cable/chain lock and lock the bike whatever rack you choose to get.

I chose 1Up after lots of research and seeing one in person. I do not regret it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I dont think you can lose either way. I ended up going with a Kuat NV and its a great rack. Very sturdy an no mechanical issues at all. The only issue is that after one summer in the sun, the orange pieces have faded, but other than that, its tip top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got the Kuat since I can get it at discount from my LBS (team sponsor)...I do love it, and the integrated stand is extremely handy. My internal lock broke (the piece that keeps it from sliding out of the frame broke off), so I use my own external lock. I love the Kuat.

Now having said that, since 1UP came out with their 2" native double rack (expandable to 4), at some point I will get that and sell the Kuat.

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    Just got a 1up in the last month...this rack is AMAZING. I have never owned a Kuat, but friends have and everyone drools over my 1up...get the 1up, you will not regret the decision.
    C Knife 14
    '10 S-Works SJ...blinged out!
    '10 Blue AC1
    '11 Spot Brand Acme
    '12 S-Works SJ 29er...even more blinged out!!

mtbr member
    I have the Kuat NV, and it's a nice rack. I have seen a 1up in person since I bought the NV, and it also looks really nice. I don't think either are a bad choice, and you could certainly do a lot worse. I would be happy with either, and I would suggest you buy which appeals to you more or better suits your budget etc.

A bike rack, however, is not something I would drool over
    There is no magic bike, it is all about the magic you put in it.
    -Willow Rockwell

Hi.
    1UP.

Worth every penny (and there's a lot of them!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was between the Kuat NV and the 1UP, but with the discounted pricing lately on the Kuat I ultimately decided to go with the NV. I figured both were about equal so I decided the saving 20% was more important to me. I love the way the NV looks and its so easy to put the bike on the rack compared to the Yakima Doubledown that I had before. Never again will I purchase a hanging type of rack. The integrated bike stand is a really nice touch.

mtbr member
    1UP

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Kuat nv

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    I question the intellect of anyone who would choose ANY rack over the 1up....

It is seriously THAT good...
    C Knife 14
    '10 S-Works SJ...blinged out!
    '10 Blue AC1
    '11 Spot Brand Acme
    '12 S-Works SJ 29er...even more blinged out!!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    1Up racks are edging out Kuat's in my area...Several riders had a look at mine and ordered theirs soon there after, specially when I showed them the origami packaging feature and the light weight.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    I've had just about every rack made including the Kuat.
    The Kuat is one of the better racks I've owned, the only problem I had with it was the plastic parts. I live in Southern UT. and the sun plays hell on everything. I leave the rack on 24-7 and the plastic parts will last around 3-4 years before they crack. Thats why I went with the 1Up rack. No plastic.